Start by marking “I Do It with the Lights On: And 10 More Discoveries on the Road to a Blissfully Shame-Free Life” as Want to Read:

From the star of TLC’s My Big Fat Fabulous Life comes an empowering memoir about letting go of your limitations and living the life you deserve. Right now.

Whitney Way Thore stands five feet two inches tall and weighs well over three hundred pounds, and she is totally, completely, and truly . . . happy. But she wasn’t always the vivacious, confident woman you see on TV.
Published May 31st 2016 by Ballantine Books

To ask other readers questions about I Do It with the Lights On, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Do It with the Lights On

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

I have had issues with my weight and body image for close to ten years now. In fact, just the other day, I found myself staring at a BMI chart and thinking about how so many of our beauty standards are utterly subjective. Knowing how ridiculous these measurements are does nothing to ease the bad feelings in most cases, either; our ideas about body image are so ingrained in our society that many of us will swallow them without a thought.

I DO
Zippergirl
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, netgalley
I live in a cave. I've never seen "Fat Girl Dancing" on youtube. I've never heard of "My Big Fat Fabulous Life." As the media became obsessed with impossibly perfect people, my TV went out on the street for trash pickup. Why would anyone subject themselves to such negative role models--size 00--really?

When a curvy woman wearing a negligee and a smirk, says “I Do It With The Lights On,” who wouldn’t want to see what that’s all about? “A talented dancer, a soccer champion, a prom princess,” family
Kate
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am a huge fan of My Big Fat Fabulous Life and Whitney. The show is hilarious and this book really carries that over. Whitney is so wise. She is so inspiring. A great book that many, many women and men will be able to relate to. A beautiful ode to loving yourself just the way you are.
Melanie Page
I have not watched My Big Fat Fabulous Life starring Whitney Way Thore. I heard about this book in the new FabUplus magazine.

Thore’s book begins with some context and then heads into her youth. At five years old, her mother is informed that Thore needs to watch what she eats. As evidence, Thore includes photos throughout the book, such as a slender girl in her bathing suit next to the caption, “Rocking my bathing suit during the summer before my first diet.” In elementary school, Thore participa
Sierra
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So. Fucking. Good.
Kathleen Nightingale
Sep 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
At any given discussion I can change the rating of this book from a one star to four star. I settled on 3 stars only because Whitney is also critical on how the English language is used either appropriately or inappropriately. But then this book is about acceptance of one's body. It wasn't until I talked with my friend regarding thought processes that I realized that some people believe that they are always being judged from other. For me, this has never been a true statement as I always believe ...more
Amy
Jul 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography-memoir
I have never seen Whitney Thore on YouTube or on My Big Fat Fabulous Life, but I was intrigued on what this book was about. I really enjoyed reading about Whitney's life and struggle with her weight. Even more than that, I really liked the fact that she delves into what is wrong with fixating on weight loss or achieving that perfect weight. I loved that she was so open and candid throughout the book.
Side Note: I hope the body positive movement doesn't end anytime soon.
⚜️Trea
Aug 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm not one for reading non-fiction, and I've certainly never heard of the author or her videos/show, but when I read the blurb for this book, I felt that I had to read it! It chronicles the author's journey to accept herself as is and accept the things about herself that she really couldn't change. It was a very inspiring story and one that made me think about my own issues and challenged the beliefs I held. I would highly recommend this book to anyone with self image issues!
Renee
May 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
I Do It With the Lights On by Whitney Thorne is an eye opening, up front, in your face shout out to the world to stop putting your life on hold while waiting to be the "perfect something" and start life passionately and fully!

Ms. Thorne shares her story with humor, grace and style while sharing her emotional journey of struggling with her weight, eating disorders, body shaming and how she ultimately found her way to emotional healing, self acceptance and self love. Her message of "No Body Shamin
SerialReader
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am enthusiastic about this book and I couldn't have been happier to read it before the official release date, which will be May 31.
I Do It with Lights On is Whitney's personal account of her life as a talented dancer, straight As student and young girl dealing with the pressure to be thin. From developing an eating disorder as a teenager to extreme weight gain in college to her ongoing struggle with polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) Whitney tells it all.
Written with brutal sincerity this book
Stacy McCain
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I picked up I DO IT WITH THE LIGHTS ON by Whitney Way Thore because I was looking for a self-help book related to parenting stress and the title caught my eye. I saw that it was about living a shame-free life and it was a story about a big girl, something I could relate to but would never talk to someone about. I had never heard of her, her TLC show, or her YouTube videos. I just thought maybe it was something I should read and that I'd be grateful that I picked up. I was right.

When I turned 40,
☣Lynn☣
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really wish this was around when I was first diagnosed with PCOS back when I was 19...
Taryn
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.75. Took off a bit for the use of "differently-abled". #angrydisabledwomanwhohatesthatword.

Important book! Highly recommend :)
Marie Dee
May 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've been a fan of Whitney ever since I heard she had PCOS. I loved her viral video and when I learned she had PCOS, and was getting her own show, I was elated. Being a woman who has it as well, it is WONDERFUL to see a public figure getting the word out, and promoting awareness of this horrible, incurable disease. I sympathized with her plight and her struggles. I feel everyone should be respected and not made to feel inferior due to an affliction or being "different" in any way. I have PCOS, I ...more
Denise
Jun 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ms. Thore has taken life and put it all out there. This book is an account of her life dealing with being her. The shame that outsiders and at times even people she loves place on her for living the life she is given. Saddly this is normal for many people that keep it hidden and in the dark. As I went to write this review it hit me that one of my takes from this book is Ms. Thore expected people to be more. Don't settle for what people hand out, don't settle for less because others think you sho ...more
Katie
Sep 15, 2016 rated it liked it
If you have pcos or have ever dealt with being bullied because of your weight this is a good book to read. Whitney is straight forward about her experiences and emotions regarding weight and I appreciate that. It was a nice read, sometimes wordy and there were more parts I wish she spoke more about.

Karen
Aug 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE THIS WOMAN! She's smart, she's funny and she made me think about how I've been talking to my own body. I adore her wit and I can't wait to see and hear more of her.
Nastashia
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Corielle Hayley
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was definitely not the light and funny comedy memoir I was expecting, but I urge you to read it anyway. Even if you have no idea who Whitney Thorpe is (like me) or refuse to watch reality TV on TLC (like me), you will probably get something out of it.

The book basically covers two main concepts: the times that Whitney struggled with her weight, and how she's learned to accept to love herself. Her problems with her self perception of her weight began when kids teased her an elementary school.
Nicole
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this girl. She is intelligent, funny, and engaging. I wish I could convince the world that body shamming is never okay, in any context. I am happy that Whitney is getting conversations going. I cringe knowing my daughter will face far too many critiques about her body both externally and internally, because women are still being unfairly judged on our appearances. I am doing my best to teach her body positivity because just as Whitney puts it, body positivity is for every body!

I gotta add
Jonna Higgins-Freese
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was wonderful. Favorite quote: "I would stop caring what people thought about my body and start living in it." "I want to appreciate my body by recognizing its strengths, capabilities, power, and potential. I want to befriend my body by absolving it of perceived flaws, embrac[ing] my own unique physical beauty. I want to use my body in any way that inspires me . . to wear whatever makes me look good and feel confident . . . to experience everything that life has to offer now, in this body, ...more
Slaskowski
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wonderful read. I personally never watched her show, I do not have PCOS and I am not overweight. I still thought it to be insightful, quirky and very entertaining. Fat-phobia is real. Growing up in the 90's my own mother would fat shame and caused me to feel as a child that the worst thing in life would be to get fat. It caused confusion because at school there were very strong, popular and smart fat kids. I had fat girlfriends in school and I heard the complaints that men only want to use them ...more
Tamara Evans
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
A honest book focusing on one woman’s journey from having an unhealthy relationship with food and having an eating disorder to finding love and acceptance within herself. Whitney is funny, entertaining and honest and reading this book, you emphasize with her during her struggles with her weight as cheer with her during her success. This was a great read and definitely a book to read if you want to know more about the struggle women endure in reference to weight. I also like that Whitney promotes ...more
Katya
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
A short review. I had never heard of Whitney Way Thore before seeing this book on sale on Audible. I love memoirs, and people really seemed to enjoy this book, and Thore's narration, so I gave it a chance. I can see why people like it so much. For the last chapter alone, this book is worth it. But it's so much more than the last chapter. The book is a glimpse into the development of Thore's acceptance of herself, and it's charming, humorous and important. I enjoyed it very much. It also gave me ...more
Kay
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed her perspective on things. I truly believe that fat-phobia is real. I have been overweight since high school and I definitely noticed the difference in how people treat me from when I was slender to now. I am working on a healthy me, but I do think that overweight people deserve to be treated with much more respect than they receive. As Whitney said "We may be fat human beings but we are still human". Side note though, I think she was a little dramatic. Despite all the horrific ...more
Erika
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was skeptical about this book, considering I've never seen an episode of her show and I'm not big on biographies. When I picked the book up and read the summary, my mind was made up. I had to read this book. Having PCOS myself, I wanted to see how it affected someone. I fell in love with this book, I felt so many different feelings- sadness, anger, etc. It only took me a day to read, it woulda taken less but you know, work interrupted. This book is freaking amazing!
Erin Kennedy
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
This title is VERY misleading. I thought it would actually be a self-help type book with 10 discoveries... in reality it's just a biography of how she grew up and became famous. I had no idea who Whitney was before reading it, like I said, I was caught by the title, and I'm no more interested in her life now than I was before I picked it up. If you are a fan, you'll probably like it. If you are looking for actual revelations look elsewhere.
Kat
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I went into this without any real expectations having never seen her show, and I was pleasantly surprised. This book was much more intelligently written than I assumed it would be just based on the title. It was a thoughtful look at one woman’s journey through health and weight struggles to feminism and self acceptance. Body positivity is important for everyone, and I love that she makes that point crystal clear.
Ms. Mystery
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I am a big fan of Whitney and her show, My Big Fat Fabulous Life. As a dancer, I loved the parts that discussed her dancing career. I appreciated the raw, honest depiction of her journey with weight loss and personal acceptance. Fans of the show will love this book. Anyone who struggles with 'being different' will enjoy the gems in this book.
Mary
Dec 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone struggling with a chronic emotional and physical condition.
Difficult to discern where the depression begins, the weight envelopes, the endocrine condition compounds, the social recrimination assaults: it all adds up to weight of deadly force, to body and spirit. The writer's declaration that she will live no matter what is admirable. One can read this difficult material and only hope that her path will more joyful from here on in.
  • Ryan White: My Own Story
  • Why Do Only White People Get Abducted by Aliens?: Teaching Lessons from the Bronx
  • Fire!!: The Zora Neale Hurston Story
  • If Nuns Ruled the World: Ten Sisters on a Mission
  • Call of the Cats: What I Learned about Life and Love from a Feral Colony
  • Lena Finkle's Magic Barrel: A Graphic Novel
  • Deal with It! A Whole New Approach to Your Body, Brain, and Life as a gURL
  • I Can't Keep My Own Secrets: Six-Word Memoirs by Teens Famous & Obscure
  • The Unapologetic Fat Girl's Guide to Exercise and Other Incendiary Acts
  • The Poetry and Short Stories of Dorothy Parker (Modern Library)
  • Death at an Early Age
  • Not That I Care (Friendship Ring, #3)
  • Things No One Will Tell Fat Girls: A Handbook for Unapologetic Living
  • Lessons from the Fat-O-Sphere: Quit Dieting and Declare a Truce with Your Body
  • Trump: A Graphic Biography