Start by marking “Storm and Silence (Storm and Silence, #1)” as Want to Read:
Storm and Silence (Storm and Silence, #1)

Storm and Silence

(Storm and Silence #1)

4.50  ·  Rating details ·  17,780 ratings  ·  1,620 reviews
Freedom – that is what Lilly Linton wants most in life. Not marriage, not a brood of squalling brats, and certainly not love, thank you very much!
But freedom is a rare commodity in 19th-century London, where girls are expected to spend their lives sitting at home, fully occupied with looking pretty. Lilly is at her wits’ end – until a chance encounter with a dark,
Kindle Edition, First Edition, 885 pages
Published March 19th 2016 by Robert Thier

·  17,780 ratings  ·  1,620 reviews

Start your review of Storm and Silence (Storm and Silence, #1)
Holly
Jan 23, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
Why I think this book was, quite frankly, terrible:
- It's set in the 18th century yet the speech and thoughts used by the characters are very modern and quite out of time/place

- The heroine is supposedly a "feminist" which, according to this book, means she must hate and/or resent all men. A man wrote this book? You don't say!

- A major part of the plot is that Lilly, a female, takes on a male persona in order to work for Mr. Ambrose. This is not a deception, he knows the whole time that she is
Hana'a
Sep 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books on Wattpad. It is historical fiction and takes place in London when women couldn't vote or do anything really. It follows Lilly Linton as she gets the opportunity to get a job...so long as she is dressed like a man. Her and her boss (Rikkard Ambrose) must learn to deal with each other and you can feel the connection between them even if she (a feminist) goes out of her way to deny ever wanting to be married and getting stuck as a housewife and he (a brooding money saving ...more
Isabella
Feb 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Storm and Silence is so good! This made me think of it
lol
Katerina
“Chains of gold are still chains.”

After I finished Storm and Silence last night I was overwhelmed with so many different and powerful feelings that I could not utter a single sentence that made sense. And now I've been staring at my computer screen for hours and I don't know what to type. It's kind of disorienting people. Just like the book's finale.

What's the story?
Victorian era, balls, politics, mystery, slow burning romance and a brooding and rude male lead, I could not possibly ask for
Pam
Jan 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.25 ‘My little Ifrit,’ stars
‘Knowledge is power is time is money!’

What does a suffragette and a chauvinist, have in common ???? Absolutely nothing, BUT it makes for great entertaining reading. I enjoyed this in it's entirety, because it had a little bit of everything that kept me engaged throughout it's 885 pages. It is LONG, but it's also very well written that it makes the pages just fly by.

Lilly Linton aka Mr. Linton wants nothing more than her freedom, to do as she pleases and provide
~Anna's ƦªϻƁℓℹռg$~
4.5 Stars

Great. Now I’m hooked on historical romance. Something I thought would NEVER happen.

You see, I’m not a fan of historical romance. The reason is pretty simple.

Ever been forced by your teachers to read Sophocles’ Antigone, Homer's Iliad and Odyssey or Dante’s Divine Comedy at the age of fifteen?

So history in my leisure time? Yeahno...

Still, I picked up this book because of two reasons: First, it made the finals of the Goodreads Choice Awards this year. Second, I read that the hero was a
Jaidee
Jan 21, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sweet young feminists battling their hormonal urges
Recommended to Jaidee by: Mr. Thier approached me.
3 "Cinder(f)ella meets Nancy Drew meets James Bond meets musical theatre" stars !!!

2016 Book Where I Wished I Was Editor

Please note I received a complimentary e-book from the author in exchange for a book review.

First of all I want to say I am really excited to be writing this review! Many of my 3-star reviews are tinged with disappointment of what "could have been amazing" where with this book I have so much hope that it can reach its full potential and become a 4 or even 4.5 star young adult
Kimi
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, arcs
Ebook copy kindly provided by the author in exchange for an honest review. Thank you so much.

Gah. This book. Where do I even start?

If you're a Jane Austen fan, drop everything and go pick up this book. You won't regret it, I promise.

I have a strong suspicion that Robert Thier is actually a descendant of Jane Austen somehow. I can't prove it but there's no other possible explanation.

Here's what you can expect from this book:

Miss Lilly Linton AKA Mr Linton is not your typical Victorian
BookLover
ARC provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

After receiving a request from the author to read and review this book, I read the description, saw all of the positive reviews and decided to give it a go. I love historical fiction and wasn’t sure what to expect with this story.

My first reaction when I opened the book up after receiving it? Holy sh*% this is a long book. I’m talking Outlander long. Luckily, a long book does not scare me off. My second reaction after reading the first
Pinky
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A huge thank you to Mr. Robert Thier for providing a free Ebook for review. Your book was amazing and I can't wait to read more from you!

What did I just read? I am simply amazed with the book that I have no words to express myself. I still can't get over this book. It feels like I need to recover from all of the adventure.

When I finished this book this is exactly what had happened:

And then, even that was gone, and there was only silence. I sat there, reading the last sentence of the book
Henz
It’s been a long time since I’ve read historical fictions and I was thankful that when I chance upon reading another one, I full on liked it. I never read on Wattpad so I have no idea that this story was sensational and the book has its own fandom! Most reviews I’ve seen so far rated 5 stars but I don’t always believe the hype. The cover was not that very captivating, it looks more modern and not fitting of the Victorian Era but I guess the fans were already used to the cover. What compelled me ...more
Laurie –A Court of Books–
Update on December 14th 2016

I initially accepted this ARC because of the book plot as well as its high rating. It wasn't that good for me, but out of respect to the author and his work, I forced myself to the end.

This November, I've noticed that this book came second on "Goodreads Choice Awards 2016" in "Romance" with more than 44.000 votes when this book has only less than 10.000 ratings in total. I didn't pay that much attention back then.

It all really started a couple of days ago, when
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to author Robert Thier.)

“That’s exactly what I intend! Votes, ladies and gentlemen, votes for women!”

This was a YA historical novel, about a girl who wanted women to be equal to men.

Lillian/Lily was quite a head-strong character, and she was determined to make a stand and make people see that women were just as capable as men, even if her methods were a little naïve!
Mr Ambrose was also quite a
Em Lost In Books
Nov 17, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-19, 1-star, 2016, dnf
DNF after 24%.

A place in final nominations in Romance Category of this year's GR Choice Awards and an average rating of 4.77, it was hard to resist this book. But within few chapters, I knew i was going to hate this book. Language and female protagonist was horrible. I am very disappointed, wasted my time.
Flore
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is not just some fiction, it is an incredibly well-written and intelligent book, with the most interesting characters and a real reflection on the Victorian era. Far from being one of those corny romantic stories, Rob Thier's novel succeeds in creating an intense tension between the reckless Lilly and the handsome yet dangerous Ambrose. Moreover, the plotline draws our attention to the condition of women, which makes the book even more subtle and brilliant (Lilly's speach while the ...more
Rebecca
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Really hope Sir Rob has the chance to publish this when he has finishes it! I can't even explain how many times I have stayed up on a Tuesday until midnight just to read the new chapter. This story drew me in from the very beginning. The characters are extremely well written and I can't get enough of the sexual tension between Mr. Ambrose and Lilly. Lilly Linton is a head strong independent feminist who will not back down but Mr. Ambrose might just be her match. He is a cold and mysterious man ...more
Anne
DNF at 8%. This is a case of "this book is really not my thing and I don't want to waste time with it" as opposed to "this book was so horrible I couldn't finish it", so I won't give it a rating.

If you don't know anything about the Victorian era, don't know that women couldn't vote, that they wore petticoats, crinolines and their hair up, that their role was to embroider cushions, hem handkerchiefs and produce heirs, then perhaps you will appreciate this tale told in first person POV by the
Caitlyn
Jun 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a little surprised to say the least when I first started the book and saw that women weren't allowed to vote.. (this might have something to do with the fact that I very briefly skimmed over the blurb and didn't notice it was set wayy back in 19th century England). As someone who normally doesn't read historical romance, this book was quite enjoyable and funny in many parts.

I was expecting the tone to be considerably more serious and focused on (view spoiler)
S.M. West
Jan 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
3.75 STARS

This story takes place in 19th century London where women can’t vote, work and really don’t have many rights.

Some would classify Lilly Linton as a feminist; I’d say she was a strong, determined and intelligent heroine. Her POV was witty, funny – at times, her inner dialogue had me chuckling. Lilly finds employment with Rikkard Ambrose, a powerful, silent and direct man, provided she disguises herself as a man.

This tale unfolds as these two work together and a letter goes missing that
Kaylin Booker
Nov 20, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
GOOD NEWS!!!!! AMAZON WILL REFUND YOUR MONEY FOR THIS BOOK!!!!

If you were duped like me by the FAKE ratings for this utterly awful book and spent precious dollars from your monthly book budget, Amazon refunds kindle purchases!

I read this book because it had over 7000 reviews and was rated, what? 4.7 or something really high. Y'all it was Not good. The author droned on and on. The dialogue was repetitive. There's a scene that we read about forever, and then he repeats it all in the very next
Zan
May 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Completely, brilliantly amazing. Love it so much; Lily is such a reckless, stubborn woman, a little dense at times, but an overall lovable female protagonist. Big thanks to Wattpad for helping me discover it!! Keep up the great work Rob!!
Hana ♡
Wow. This book blew me away. I finished this last night and was staring at my ceiling wide awake trying to figure out my feelings.

So Lilly is a feminist that lives in 19th century London where women cannot work, or vote. And the only aspirations in life are to get married and be dependent on a husband. This obviously doesn't work with her.

She ends up acquiring a job working for the notorious, powerful, and intimidating Mr. Ambrose by (view spoiler)
Kerry
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for a review.
At first I wasn't sure what to think as the author has hit on a unique approach to the story with it having Historical fiction, Mystery, Romance and Adventure all in one. I wasn't sure how so many facets could be brought together or if it would make for an enjoyable read. Well it certainly did indeed as Robert Thier has a skill for telling a story that is intriguing, exciting and mysterious.
Storm and Silence is based around two main
WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker
Positive - This may have sucked any will I usually have to want books to be longer. For at least a month. Still me we're talking about here.

I'm a huge fan of Don't Trust the B in Apartment 23 and as I read this, I was constantly thinking about this scene.
This story is extremely, EXTREMELY long and there were still no payoffs. The main couple somewhat acknowledge an attraction but we only get some smooches and cheek touching. The romance part of this went in circles, repeatedly.

The
Yonaily
*Digital copy kindly provided by the author in exchange for an honest review. Thank you very much.

3.5/5 stars

I cannot and will not accept a female secretary. I will not be made a fool of in front of the entire city. Either you come dressed as a man, or you never return.

That was such a lovely surprised! I did not expect this book to be so entertaining. Historical Fiction is not a genre I read often, but this author kindly aproached me asking if I was interested in reading his novel, and of
Fukiya
Nov 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, before I start, I would like to say that I—out of self-preservation—generally stay away from Wattpad. Unlike Fictionpress or other online story archives, Wattpad does not allow users to sort stories based on number of favorites, reviews, or ratings. Thus, more often than not, a story is a miss rather than a hit, and by ‘miss’, I mean can’t-hit-the-broad-side-of-a-barn miss.

That being said, this story is truly a wonderful read. The story is set in 1839, shortly after Queen Victoria began
Nina {ᴡᴏʀᴅs ᴀɴᴅ ᴡᴀᴛᴇʀ}
Thank you to the author for providing a copy in exchange for an honest review.

This was a hit on wattpad, and now, it's being published on the 19th of March!

Quick Review. 4.5 Stars Gawdbloodyhell, if you love cold but secretly sweet though not bipolar male love interests, pick this up! If you love a female protagonist who's kickass all the way through even in the toughest of moments (though she acts even when scared) and won't let a man tell her she can't do anything. Then pick this up! If you
Sofi Mascaró
Thank you so much to Robert Thier for providing me a free copy of your book in exchange for an honest review!

‘Chains of gold are still chains, Mr Ambrose. I want to decide what to do with my life.’

I'm in a huge mess right now.
I'm not a fan of reading either my phone or my computer but I decided to change that just during May and check out this book set in the Victorian era (the one I'm just studying right now in my career)...

So this is how I'm feeling right now.

The story follows Lilly
Manali
Jun 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely brilliant! The plot seems legit. The humour is on point. Couldn't stop laughing after reading a funny sentence. And this kept repeating a lot of times. Lilly makes you love her all right.
Madison
~I was sent a free Ebook from the author for a honest review!~

This was absolutely incredible! This is one of the most unique stories I've read in quite a while!

This story is about a woman named Lilly Linton who is searching for freedom, freedom from a woman's expectations in the 19th century. This story follows Lilly's journey on a fight for women suffrage, if men can do something.. than women can too!

I LOVED this book so so so so so much.
This was a very hard book to put down, it always kept me
Author 9 114 Feb 03, 2018 10:05AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Storm and Silence (Storm and Silence #1) by Robert Thier - Starting May 12th 2016 61 187 Jun 16, 2016 01:59AM
what is the book that took you to another place? 1 38 Dec 19, 2015 01:32AM

• The Girl He Never Noticed
  • I Sold Myself To The Devil For Vinyls... Pitiful I Know
  • The Mischievous Mrs. Maxfield
  • The Cell Phone Swap
  • Perfect Illusion (Perfect Series, #1)
  • Perfect Addiction (Perfect Series, #2)
  • Chasing Red
  • She's With Me
  • The Good, The Bad, And The Bullied (The Good Girl's Bad Boys, #1)
  • The Quirky Tale of April Hale
  • In 27 Days (In 27 Days, #1)
  • The Bad Boy Stole My Bra
  • Trapped (Bullied, #4)
  • The Bad Boy, Cupid & Me
  • Death is My BFF (Death is My BFF, #1)
  • Pained (Bullied, #2)
  • My Possessive Billionaire
  • Mr. Popular and I
Robert Thier is a German historian, lover of old books and award-winning writer, whose novels and stories encompass the historical, satirical, and fantastical. For the way he manages to make the past come alive, as if he himself lived as a medieval knight, his inventive fans have given him the nickname “Sir Rob.” All of his stories are characterized by his very own brand of humor that has gained ...more

Storm and Silence (6 books)
  • In the Eye of the Storm (Storm and Silence, #2)
  • Silence is Golden (Storm and Silence, #3)
  • Silence Breaking (Storm and Silence, #4)
  • Hunting for Silence (Storm and Silence, #5)
  • Storm of Bells (Storm and Silence, #6)
“Knowledge is power is time is money.” 357 likes
“Life is not about living the safer option. Life is about living a life worth living.” 223 likes