Start by marking “The Rain in Portugal: Poems” as Want to Read:
The Rain in Portugal:  Poems

The Rain in Portugal: Poems

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  1,275 Ratings  ·  259 Reviews

From former U.S. Poet Laureate Billy Collins comes a twelfth collection of poetry offering nearly fifty new poems that showcase the generosity, wit, and imaginative play that prompted The Wall Street Journal to call him America's favorite poet.

The Rain in Portugal, a title that admits he's not much of a rhymer, sheds Collins's ironic light on such subjects as travel and ar

Published October 4th 2016 by Random House

Cheri
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, 2017, library-book
Billy Collins was the U.S. Poet Laureate from 2001 to 2003; officially the title is Poet Laureate Consultant in Poetry to the Library of Congress. At present, that title belongs to Tracy K. Smith. “ The Rain in Portugal ” is his twelfth collection of poetry, but the first collection of his that I’ve read.

His writing is whimsical, imaginative and accessible. His topics range from far away places, to cats and dogs, from life and death to art and rock ‘n roll stars, from love to feelings that are h
Julie Ehlers
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: free-library, poetry
I was in the poetry section of my local branch of the public library and I noticed they had a full complement of books by Billy Collins. It had been a while since I'd read a collection of his, and suddenly nothing sounded more refreshing, like the literary equivalent of stepping under a waterfall or drinking a tall glass of grapefruit-flavored San Pellegrino. I decided to go with his most recent collection, and it did not disappoint. As in most of his books, Collins here deals with such topics a ...more
Perry
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sumptuous Collection of New Poems from Esteemed Poet Billy Collins

A sumptuous collection of new poems from Billy Collins, a lifelong New Yorker (from an Irish/Canadian family) who was Poet Laureate for the U.S. from 2001 to 2003.

I love his irresistibly rustic poetry that is nearly as accessible as it is poignant.

My favorites included:

"Greece"

The ruins were taking their time falling apart,
stones that once held up other stones
now scattered on top of one another

as if many centuries had to pass
Alena
Nov 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had to fight myself to not devour these poems in one sitting. Usually poetry feels like more of a chore for me, but Billy Collins is the constant exception. He turns tiny moments into such beauty and thoughtfulness. He was the perfect emotional balm for me this week.

My favorites were his imaginings about having siblings or if his mother we're still alive because those had such depth of emotion for just a few lines.

Sweet, short, smart perfection.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Billy Collins is that oddity in America: He is a poet and he is a popular poet. Somehow he doesn't disappoint anyone. He is able to be clever and and fresh and wise and profound and funny. He is a delight.

Billy Collins may be the only person saving poetry from popular death. He is magnificent. Try him. Even if high school English class killed your desire to ever read a poem again.
Joseph
Jul 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
The Rain in Portugal: New Poems by Billy Collins is the poet's latest collection of poetry. This collection will be available on October 4, 2016. Collins is an American poet. He served two terms as the Poet Laureate of the United States from 2001 to 2003. In his home state, Collins has been recognized as a Literary Lion of the New York Public Library (1992) and selected as the New York State Poet for 2004.

Collins breaks the stereotype of the stiff and stern poet. His writing is clear and he has
Gearóid
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Little nuggets of gold!
Just loved these poems so quirky and thought provoking.

Anna (Curiosity comes before Kay) Partrick
People think of poetry and they think of grand, sweeping epics & stanzas that you have to stare at forever to decipher anything resembling sense or meaning. I enjoy Billy Collins because he talks to his readers about stuff so ordinary it should be dull as dirt, yet it's not and there is a lot to be gained from it. He paints a picture that is so familiar, you can see it like you're looking at something you've seen a million times, like Mona Lisa. One of my favorites:

Many Moons

The thinnest of
Matt
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poesy

I love Billy Collins: his unpretentious but evocative language, his light but subtly existential tones, his exactitude and thoughtfulness. I feel bad for him sometimes, partially because he's been so successful. It must suck to have had to have been the Poet Laureate of George W Bush, for instance, and for all the public exposure, people thinking the poems are just there to be laughed with, funny though they often are. It's not always easy to be considered "America's favorite poet" I'd bet.

But
Mary
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I could spend weeks reading and re-reading these poems. Part 3 was definitely my favorite.
Amy
I saw that look that you gave me, Billy Collins, when I said nothing as you signed my book. It was the look of someone trying to puzzle out an anecdote from the moment (or probably a poem, in your case). I could have blathered on about how my students used to always discover that they liked poetry after I introduced them to you. But I was sure you’d heard it before. However, it seemed that perhaps you still needed to satisfy your curiosity about those of us in the crowd who weren’t of the wholly ...more
Elizabeth R
So disappointing, a true 2.5 book of neutral. I want to be moved by poetry, and while I found this fine in its way, it was not at all profound to me. Undoubtedly part of the problem is that 95% of these poems are formatted similarly, with 3, 4 or 5 phrase stanzas for a page to a page and a half. Nothing wrong with that, except at book length, it gets repetitous and then the poems start to feel equally repetitious. I pulled out the one about the dogs, Species, but mostly because as a former dog o ...more
Shelby M. (Read and Find Out)
I felt pretty neutral about this collection. There were some pieces that I really enjoyed, and a lot that I didn't feel very much about.
Laura Carroll
Oct 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
"What a brazen wonder to be alive on earth/ amid the clockwork of all this motion!"
Niki
Nov 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literary, poetry
When I think of poetry I often think of Renaissance writers, the kind where you have to struggle with the flowery language to crack the code of intent. But Billy Collins makes poetry accessible, relatable. He conjures modern day situations and twists them in unexpectedly delightful ways, sometimes funny or sad or weirdly irreverent, but always with perfect frankness.
John of Canada
Mostly wonderful.There were so many similarities to Roger Rosenblatt that I started thinking "I know why you have never seen them together".One of the (few)complaints about Collin's work is that the structure of his poems are similar to each other.You could say that about most poets.It's like some people complaining about prose dialogue that doesn't have quotation marks.Rules,rules rules.
Madelyne
Actual rating: 3.75
Scott Pomfret
Better Rainstorms

Billy Collins is his usual, offhand self here, but the effort appears mailed in. It's like he decided that not only may we reject formalism, but also any pretense to quality. A thin submission.

That said, his elegiac homage to a male piss was brilliant (if also aware of its audience):

It’s very peaceful pissing under the stars or beneath the mild colors of twilight, so refreshing to take a deep breath outdoors then exhale all the woes of the day and even the longer woes and thorn
Gill
Aug 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, poetry
3.5 stars, 7 out of 10

I have read several poems by Billy Collins previously, and have also heard him performing some (online), so I was interested in reading this, his latest volume of poetry (to be published in October 2016).

There were more than 50 poems in this collection. I read all of them, and 20 of them more than once.

My favourites of them were ' Hendrik Goltzius's "Icarus" (1588)' (with its links to W.H. Auden's poem "Musée des Beaux Arts'), 'Portrait', and 'The Day After Tomorrow' (with
April
Sep 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
I'm not sure if I'm outgrowing Billy Collins, or this collection just didn't work for me. The poems felt very flat, even for Billy Collins, who of course isn't trying to embellish. I just didn't see the beauty of the commonplace within his work like I normally do. It didn't feel as though he was trying anything new, breathing anything fresh into his style or observations, except, perhaps, learning how to cuss, which was off-putting (and I'm no prude). Some might say the frankness of a curse fits ...more
J
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Poetry for people who generally don't give a flying fart for poems. Or for people who like cats.

I love that Collins doesn't try to obscure his meaning. The premises of his poems are often simple observances, but they stick with you for their humor or because they have a way of flipping an everyday situation on its head.

However, every now and then, he sneaks in a wistful poem that speaks to the impermanence of life, and these were my favorites. Yet it's the volume as a whole that makes him my n
Timons Esaias
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'd read most of Collins's books through the New and Collected and Nine Horses, and I kept seeing his work in magazines, but hadn't been paying attention as the more recent books came out. To repair that oversight I picked up a couple of the titles, and this is the first I've read.

These pleased me. Several of them start out as banal, but then take a clever and serious turn; Collins is almost always playing with expectations, and deliberately twisting the familiar. The title comes, obviously, fro
JD Estrada
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice relaxed collection of poetry that often made me smile with its randomness. If you're looking for deep metaphors or rhyme schemes, this isn't the collection for you. If however you like curious phrasing, life observations, and little slices of modern day relatable real life, this collection might be great for you.

I found it relaxing, friendly, never intense although at times poignant. The only distraction was line spacing to divide poems into three line stanzas for ease of legibility more
Judith
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author was a former Poet Laureate of the U.S. Why don't I know these things? He writes lovely, mostly light-hearted verse and this is a collection of his latest poetry--all enjoyable and easy to read.
Ruth
Jun 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hm--is my love of all things Billy Collins finally fading, or is his poetry? I can't quite decide. I was only truly charmed by a handful of those in this collection. I always liked the fact that the poet poked fun of his poetic style in his poems--but now, I start to get the vibe that it's all part of the show. I found way more prosaic descriptions here than I expected. If poetry doesn't rhyme, it should at least be evocative. And too many poems here didn't evoke much in my imagination. Alas.
Kathy
Billy Collins makes me think of the witty and philosophical guy in everyone’s neighborhood. He probably doesn’t shovel his walk or mow his lawn with much regularity, but you cut him some slack because he’s so lovable.
Autumn
Aug 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was enjoying this collection very much, to the point that I was leaning towards giving it 4 stars. Then I read one poem in particular, and it irritated me so much I dropped a star and my enjoyment of this collection like a hot potato.
Robert
Billy Collins is everyone's favorite poet today - and he's mine too. Once you read it, who will never forget "Forgetfulness"? And, how can you resist a poem entitled "Another Reason Why I Don't Keep a Loaded Gun in the House"? I love it when a new book of his poems comes out. You will too.
D. Ryan
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A strong collection. Billy Collins's sense of humor is as good as ever. Maybe better. He unfortunately put a few (unnecessary) swear words into his poems this time, something I've never run across before.

A huge pleasure to read. I'm tempted to read it over again right away. The best were his reflections on his loneliness and on how much he misses his parents, poems which, somehow, Collins keeps free of self-seriousness.
Margene
Love, love, love this book. I can't wait to reread (again and again)!
William A. ("Billy") Collins is an American poet. He served two terms as the Poet Laureate of the United States from 2001 to 2003. In his home state, Collins has been recognized as a Literary Lion of the New York Public Library (1992) and selected as the New York State Poet for 2004.