Start by marking “Rad Women Worldwide: Artists and Athletes, Pirates and Punks, and Other Revolutionaries Who Shaped History” as Want to Read:

From the authors of the New York Times bestselling book Rad American Women A-Z, comes a bold new collection of 40 biographical profiles, each accompanied by a striking illustrated portrait, showcasing extraordinary women from around the world.

In Rad Women Worldwide, writer Kate Schatz and artist Miriam Klein Stahl tell fresh, engaging, and inspiring tales of perseverance
Published September 27th 2016 by Ten Speed Press

To ask other readers questions about Rad Women Worldwide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rad Women Worldwide

Start your review of Rad Women Worldwide: Artists and Athletes, Pirates and Punks, and Other Revolutionaries Who Shaped History
Anusha Narasimhan
May 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Reading about 40 rad women from around the world definitely lifts up a girl's spirit. If you thought that this is a man's world and women cannot reach places, this book will make you realize that women have done great things and can do so in the future as well.

Before reading this book, I knew only 10 of the 40 women listed. It was great to learn about others. This book left me with awe and an "I can reach my goals no matter what" attitude.

I did feel that a lot of amazing women were left out, but
Alice Lippart
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
So inspirational and I'm digging the artwork.
Chessa
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Five stars! I loved this book. I consider myself fairly aware of famous women and women's history, but I was surprised and a bit embarrassed by how many featured women I was totally unfamiliar with! I was thrilled to learn about so many inspiring women from around the world. The book is written in an engaging and inspirational way. I really appreciated that the profiles were bite-sized; it was the perfect amount of information to introduce these amazing women - enough to feel like you gained ...more
Lisa Fagan
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Profiles on a variety of women which history seldom celebrates.
A great started book for anyone questioning the power, fortitude, and intelligence of women.
Tiffany Peña
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
What the hell Goodreads? I'm writing this review for the second time because Goodreads decided not to upload it.

I believe that small details such as good grammar truly show the author's care for their craft and dedication. I was constantly putting missing commas and fixing mistakes in my head while reading this. A good editor and proofreader go a long way in any kind of text. To me, it was extremely distracting. Other than that, I also wish they had included the Mirabal sisters. Of course, that
Alexis  (TheSlothReader)
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really liked this collection of stories about famous women from all over the world. There were all types of inspirational women included in this collection. I really liked the emphasis on women of color and women from countries other than the US. My one issue was that the art in this did not work for me. I appreciated that the art was made with paper and an exacto knife, but it just didn't fit my tastes. I also think having photos of the women and/or their works would have been more effective.
YES. Yes. Yes.

Full Review:

As a woman and feminist, I was so proud while reading this book. Let me praise it from the rooftops and hand sell it to every girl, boy, mom, dad, relative, friend, you name it. Everyone could benefit from reading this.

I was devastated to discover I did not even know about most of these women before picking up this book. I felt myself longing to have had this book in my hands as a girl in school when it came time to pick the people I wanted to write my research
Raquel Moritz
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fight like a girl. :)
Annamaria
Apr 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
"What then is the evil in my being a woman?"
Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz

Women are incredible! I've read this short book with a look of extreme awe on my face. I hadn't heard about many of the women mentioned in it and that's just a shame. Here the lives and achievements and basically badassery of mothers, teachers, political and environmental activists, football players, singers, artists, computer programmers, pirates (!), suffragettes, princesses, spies are described and it was such an enjoyable
Amanda
I enjoyed reading about a bunch of strong, powerful women that I'd never heard about before. I especially liked the fact that the women featured weren't just white women from the U.S.

My only critique, and maybe this is just nitpicking, was that the bios were so abridged. Obviously, Schatz couldn't write in depth about each woman but the depth and complexity of writing seemed like this book should have been geared toward middle grade readers instead of adults. Especially after I got to the back
Jackie B. - Death by Tsundoku
This is exactly the sort of book I hope to share with my future children.

A collection of 40 mini-biographies of real women who made a different all over the world, throughout the history of humanity, I didn't expect to read it all in one sitting. Yet, I couldn't help myself. Rad Women Worldwide: Artists and Athletes, Pirates and Punks, and Other Revolutionaries Who Shaped History is the inspirational book I needed in my own personal library.

With only 40 stories to tell, Schatz does a wonderful
Sonia Crites
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great look at some amazing women. In most cases they are little known. The writing is solid and the art work is really great. This is the perfect book to show the young girls in your life just how strong, bold, decisive, fearless and passionate women can be. Everyone should grab this book!
Catherine
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-nonfiction
Good intro to a bunch of interesting women from around the world, some living, some from ages past. Would make an excellent holiday gift, just saying.
Katie
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read a profile every night to my son and learned so much. Highly recommend this book for any reader.
Kelly
A solid enough collective biography that is wonderfully inclusive. The information on each of the women is short enough to spark interest and encourage further reading. The illustrations are also pretty great throughout, with black and white sparseness still being able to capture the spirit of the individuals highlighted. I missed the initial note in the book about how it was organized (it's on the inside cover of the book with a map) and it made me as a reader really confused why the women were ...more
Tom
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
RAD WOMEN WORLDWIDE is a very remarkable book. It is an account about numerous women in countless neighborhoods, institutions, cities and countries being systematically excluded, discriminated against, beat up, jailed and killed. All this, because of female’s basic, simple and natural desire to experience those inalienable rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness and conversely many men’s need to control and dominate.
As a result, women are/have been too often vilified, persecuted,
Keeley
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book! The short, concise installments make this a quick read for one sitting or fascinating little snippets to read as you can. I am so very proud to share a past full of women such as these.
Kony
Oct 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun little sampler of admirable Sheroes throughout history who have changed the world, each in her own way, representing various countries and cultures and talents. Appropriate for kids. Doesn't have the meat or grit or critical edge I'd be looking for as an adult reader. That said, the kid in me enjoyed it, and I may have learned a bunch of things I didn't know before. ("May have" because I'm not sure if all of those things are fact-checked.)
Shauna
Apr 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
**Received ARC from NetGalley**

This is another great "Rad Women" book! The women in this book are diverse and their stories are told wonderfully, with each story being the perfect length to serve as a solid introduction and encourage further research. The illustrations are wonderful as well! Could this potentially be a series with more books to come? I sure hope so!
Stacey
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading about such a diverse group of women and learned a lot about people who I had heard about, but had never really delved into more deeply. I'm going to share this book with grade 5 students doing PYP Exhibition and I'm keen to hear their feedback considering the climate of the world stage right now.
Marcela
Loved this book, but would have liked it more with a bibliography of suggested additional reading at the end.
Carlie The Bookish Girl
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
This review is originally posted on Carlie The Bookish Girl
-----------------
4.5 stars.
-----------------
“One can perfectly well philosophize while cooking supper.” — Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz in Answer to Sister Filotea

I was mindlessly browsing Book Depository’s bargain section when this book caught my eyes. Everything about this book appealed to me. Its vibrant colors, unique illustrations and the cool title, they made me click the ‘add to cart’ button in a split second.

It wasn’t until I was
Meg
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a really cool book. I bought it on a whim because anything with the phrase "rad women" will catch my attention. All the mini biographies on each of the 40 women were easy to read and informative. This book would probably be a great starting point for someone who is interested in reading more about women's history. The book covers women from 30 different countries across a variety of time periods. Each story comes with its own illustration. There's also a list at the end of the book of ...more
Katherine
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I got this for my niece, but once I opened to the table of contents, I realized I had a lot to learn about rad women throughout history and loving now. It's a great read for anyone, but I think would have really made a big impact on me when I was younger. I hope it does for my niece!
Ashley Cartwright
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting read, while the stories are fairly short they were intriguing, disappointed Margaret Sanger wasn’t included in the list, she was briefly mentioned in someone else’s story!
Beth
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
I loved this book! I just read 40 stories about amazing women around the world!
Stephanie
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lovely book. Beautiful and inspiring. Good to keep permanently on your coffee table or night stand.
Vendela
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A stellar book. And now I need to find a book about when Josephine Baker spied for the French Resistance, because WHAT that’s fantastic.
Mea Marshall
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
loved this book because it gave my self a chance to see these amazing women a view of their live.
Oona K.
Nov 28, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was okay. The writing wasn't fantastic but there were a lot of people in the book that I'd never heard about.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Around the Year i...: Rad Women Worldwide, by Kate Schatz 1 11 May 31, 2017 12:49PM

• Girl Squads: 20 Female Friendships That Changed History
  • Women in Science: 50 Fearless Pioneers Who Changed the World
  • American Journal: Fifty Poems for Our Time
  • Bad Girls Throughout History: 100 Remarkable Women Who Changed the World (Women in History Book, Book of Women Who Changed the World)
  • Little Leaders: Bold Women in Black History
  • Teen Trailblazers: 30 Fearless Girls Who Changed the World Before They Were 20
  • History vs Women: The Defiant Lives that They Don't Want You to Know
  • Ar'n't I a Woman?: Female Slaves in the Plantation South
  • Womanist Ethics and the Cultural Production of Evil
  • Negotiators of Change: Historical Perspectives on Native American Women
  • Bygone Badass Broads: 52 Forgotten Women Who Changed the World
  • Julie d'Aubigny: Or One Of The Coolest Gals In History (Pop History Book 2)
Kate Schatz (pronounced ‘Shots’) is a writer, editor, educator, and left-handed vegetarian Bay Area-born-and-bred feminist mama. She is the New York Times bestselling author of Rad American Women A-Z (City Lights, 2015) and Rad Women Worldwide (Ten Speed Press, 2016). Her book of fiction, Rid of Me: A Story, was published in 2006 as part of the acclaimed 33 1/3 series. Her writing has been ...more
“Don't tell me women aren't the stuff of heroes.” 1 likes