Start by marking “Do You Want to Start a Scandal (Spindle Cove, #5)” as Want to Read:
Do You Want to Start a Scandal (Spindle Cove, #5)

Do You Want to Start a Scandal

(Spindle Cove #5)

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  11,806 ratings  ·  1,487 reviews
All Charlotte wanted was to avoid scandal. Instead, she was caught in the arms of a mysterious, handsome lord...and he's not letting go.

On the night of the Parkhurst ball, someone had a scandalous tryst in the library.

Was it Lord Canby, with the maid, on the divan? Or Miss Fairchild, with a rake, against the wall? Perhaps the butler did it.

All Charlotte Highwood knows is
Published September 27th 2016 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Do You Want to Start a Scandal, please sign up.
Tessa Dare Hi, Kat! Glad to hear you are thinking about Sally! She's quite business-minded and practical, and it would take a very tempting hero to catch her…moreHi, Kat! Glad to hear you are thinking about Sally! She's quite business-minded and practical, and it would take a very tempting hero to catch her eye. But perhaps someday the right man will show up in my imagination. :) At the moment, I'm not working on it, though. (less)

·  11,806 ratings  ·  1,487 reviews

Start your review of Do You Want to Start a Scandal (Spindle Cove, #5)
Tessa Dare
Jul 01, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-wrote-this

Hooray! It's finally book birthday for Charlotte and Piers!

As you might have gathered from the blurb, this book's plot is rather like a game of Regency-era Clue. Except, instead of "Who killed whom with the wrench?" the question that must be answered is "Who tupped whom in the library?" That is, until Charlotte discovers that Piers Brandon, Lord Granville is a more intriguing mystery by far.

Order links and excerpt are posted at my site.

my email list, and you'll get a reminder
Anne
Ok, this was such a cute little mystery/romance.

And, best of all, it stars the brother of the hero from Say Yes to the Marquess! Remember him? Piers,the fiancee that got jilted because he spent 8 years wandering around the world as an ambassador for England? Only not really, because he was actually a freakin SECRET AGENT!
So, you know, he was really out there doing all that cool spy stuff....

description

Anyway. He's at this house party to snoop around and make sure the man throwing the party is
Stacey is Sassy
I’d take the scandal too.

I can honestly say there are not too many times that I find myself equally fond of the heroine as much as the hero. I admit, I pick and choose my reads based solely on the hero. He has to appeal to me in some way or form. So, I was excited to find that Do You Want to Start a Scandal has one of the best historical romance heroines I’ve read. Charlotte is quirky in a good way, smart and inquisitive, loyal and friendly and not overly vain. Don’t get me wrong, Piers is
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish
Full review now posted...

I don't often squee when I hear about a new book release, but I always do when it's a book by Tessa Dare who makes historical romance fun, exciting, and passionate!
Blurb:

~Was it Lord Canby, with the maid, on the divan?
~Or Miss Fairchild, with a rake, against the wall?
~Perhaps the butler did it.

All Charlotte Highwood knows is this: it wasn’t her. But rumors to the contrary are buzzing.
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*4.5 stars*

I adored, ADORED, Do You Want to Start a Scandal by one of my all-time favorite historical romance authors, Tessa Dare. It was EXACTLY what I needed.

It's been SO long since I've read a paperback, but it was worth having to read in my kitchen instead of my bed at 2 am just to have this book on my shelf forever.

I'm a big fan of funny, and Tessa Dare always knows how to write these romances that combine hot and sweet with just incredibly witty humor. I actually laughed out loud a
Nissa | Of Pens and Pages Book Blog

Review at Of Pens and Pages.

Do You Want to Start a Scandal is a fun historical romance read filled with intrigue, espionage, and so much sexual tension between a mysterious Marquess and a quirky woman on the brink of ruin.

Charlotte Highwood's plan to warn Piers Brandon, Lord Granville of her scheming mama's matchmaking goes wrong when they accidentally witness a scandalous tryst in the library and is accused of being the couple in said tryst. The odds are against them—Charlotte and Piers were
Sophia Triad
Charlotte Highwood does not want to get married. She wants to travel. Unfortunately her mother wants to see her married to a wealthy important man. Marquess Piers Brandon aka Lord Granville is an excellent candidate according to her mother, so Charlotte will try to warn him to stay away from her. A misunderstanding will result in the engagement of Charlotte and Piers.

Piers does not mind. He thinks that she is perfect for the heirs that he needs. He does not believe in love anyway. When he gets
May 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, lol, historical
5 “Oliveview” Stars!!!!

This book is a combination of James Bond and the game of Clue, and I enjoyed every second of it. It’s witty. It’s sexy. It’s everything “Tessa Dare.” When I think of Tessa Dare, this is the perfect amount of all that she is, wrapped up in one book. Can you tell that I love her?

à la Mode St. » fashion

She unsettled him; he anchored her. Together, they could be more than they were apart.

à la Mode St. » fashion

This book is…..ONE…..GIANT……SWOON. And if you don’t like this book, then you can suck my aubergine (see below
Robin (Bridge Four)
Kindle Limited Time Deal: 29Nov19 Amazon $1.99

4 Fluff Filled Stars

Tessa Dare is one of my go-tos for a story that is going to be fun, light and thoroughly entertaining. I start her books and before I know it I’m done. This is no exception. There is always something exceptionally cute about the story she is telling and there are usually quite a few laughs along the way. This was no exception.

If you have read any of the Spindle cove novels then you will remember Minerva and Diana’s mother who is
Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳

LOVED. THIS. BOOK. HARD.

Tessa Dare quickly became my happy place when I'm in the mood for Historical Romance. It all started with the Duchess Deal. A couple weeks ago.
So far the Spindle Cove series have been light hearted, sweet, steamy and hilarious. All this at the same time. All I know is that they make me feel good.
Kissing her was all in the line of duty. But work had never tasted so much like pleasure.

I can't define really what makes me "click" with these books. It reads like a
WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker

What are you doing to me? He'd whispered.
Charlotte had no idea. But whatever it was, he was doing it back.

Spoiler Alert: I like wallflowers and broody dudes. :) So, of course I liked this one. The way our hero was bamboozled by the heroine gets me every time. I would have liked to feel a bit closer to Piers, for some reason his background felt a bit underdeveloped, rushed or not delved into enough.
Charlotte was so open, honest, and willing to get her man; I quite delighted in her. I
Carol Cork *Young at Heart Oldie*
I adore Tessa Dare’s books! They are always enchanting, romantic, sexy and funny!

I love the crossover of characters from the two series. The heroine, Charlotte, is the youngest of the Highwood sisters who feature in the Spindle Cove series and the hero, Piers Brandon, Marquess of Granville, appears in the second book of the Castles Ever After series.

Clever, witty, vivacious, good-natured and forthright, Charlotte is like a breath of fresh air. Despite her mother’s ill-conceived attempts to “
Alyssa
Sep 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-releases
4.5 stars. This was lovely!

***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

Do You Want to Start a Scandal by Tessa Dare
Book Five of the Spindle Cove series/Book Four of the Castles Ever After series
Publisher: Avon
Publication Date: September 27, 2016
Rating: 4 stars
Source: eARC from Edelweiss

***Warning: this is an adult book, and for the eyes of mature readers***

Summary (from Goodreads):

•Was it Lord Canby, with the
Caz
I've given this a B+ at AAR, so 4.5 stars.

It feels like I’m committing the ultimate Romancelandia faux-pas when I say that Tessa Dare’s last couple of books haven’t really worked for me. So much so, in fact, that I couldn’t rate When a Scot Ties the Knot above a C+; the characterisation was inconsistent, the humour felt forced and it seemed to me that Ms Dare had crossed the line into self-parody with her frequent, knowing winks to the audience.

So I’m over the moon to be able to say that with
Addie H
On Kindle sale for USD 1.99 Nov 16th 2019

(Tropes: Marriage of Convenience, Spinster/Wallflower, Fake Relationship, Unstarched (hero)

description

Another solid Tessa Dare book with two very likeable characters.

- He prided himself on control. Restraint. Careful management of both internal emotions and outward reactions. Lives had depended on it, and Piers had never let them down. And then along came Miss Charlotte Highwood. Announcing her own entrance into his life with the most absurd of declarations. I
Grace Cieleen
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Finished this book in one day and I have highlighted way too many favorite quotes. I guess that is what happens when it has been way too long since Tessa released a new book. I hope and pray and pray and fervently pray we get more where all this..this wonderful, splendid magic is coming from. THIS COUPLE IS MY SHIP. THIS STORY IS MY SHIP. TESSA IS MY SHIP.

I am going to keep it simple, I mean - this is an overall feel-good, light, (super) sexy, funny, witty book from my fave author. But bias
Esther
ARC from Avon and Edelweiss for honest review.

This was a fantastic read!!!! In EVERY WAY!! A six star rating if I could.

I am still processing this wonderful read and am not even sure how I begin this review.

We have two characters, Charolette and Piers who are caught in the library with a scenario that implicates them as "lovers". But in reality Charolette has come to warn Piers of her mothers schemes in trying to marry her off, but as she is warning Piers someone is approaching the Library. The
Jo
I’m here to save you.

Charlotte Highwood is tired of her mother's matchmaking schemes, so she goes to the library to warn Lord Ganville, Piers Brandon, of her mother’s plans hoping to avoid another scandal. Not knowing that a scandalous tryst will soon force her to hide behind the library curtains in Pierce’s arms. And unfortunate circumstances will paint them as the mystery couple.

“We’d be a terrible match. I’m far too young for you.”
“So you’ve made clear.”
“You’re the model of propriety.”
Zoe
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book could have gotten 3 stars from me, which in my book, is not bad at all.

But I have decided to give it 2 stars. I loathe the ninny heroine Charlotte.

Maybe ninny isn't the right word. She just isn't a real character. And ditzy, yeah, ditzy sounds right. Charlotte is a fictional character whose "pretend" naivety really annoys me. The blend of "intelligence and innocence", I get it. I know where Tessa Dare was going with this. There are different ways of creating such a character. But
Bubu
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hr, 5-stars
Edit Sept 29th

After rereading my review, I feel like adding this concerning my remarks about the plot:
I can easily compare this book to The Hating Game. I know it's a little tricky to compare a Historical to a Contemporary, but in terms of plot both books stand on thin ice. However, they describe the hilarious story of two people falling in love. They are simply feel-good books.

4.5 stars - Read this with a pinch of salt

"Those walls, as you call them... They’re part of me now, and they are iron
Avid Booker
Dec 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People Who Like Young But Daring(And a bit Naive) Heroines
3.5 stars I was stuck between a three or four stars. Honestly this story leans more towards three, BUT I bumped it to four for the small part that Colin was in, and because the whole first 2 chapters or so are laugh out loud funny to me. And because even after that parts were HILARIOUS.

This is one of those books where, you either like it or you don't. There are no inbetweens. And I liked it.

It's not as great as A Week to Be Wicked or When a Scot Ties the Knot and that's only because I like
♥ℳelody

Really sweet charming couple. The plot? Meh. Not so great or exciting. But Piers and Charlotte are adorable so I would recommend this just for them. It's just not a very suspenseful or angsty story. If you are looking for a light fluffy predictable funny romance then give this a go.

But once again, I must say Dare really needs to be more careful and aware of her world building. It's a little too thin in some areas. There were some glaring contradictions, physical body movements during
Desi
Oct 03, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Inane plot, ditzy heroine, vacillating hero who never solidified into a character worth knowing ... and wayyy too much sex that served No Purpose in terms of plot advancement.

Don't even get me started on the ridiculous resolution to the mystery aspect! It became an utter rubbish gimmick the characters wasted their time running after.

And more irritatingly, one the long-suffering readers wasted their time and head-space attempting to solve.

This would have irritated me less had the 'mystery' not
Sam (AMNReader)
Solidly in the top quartile...

I read this a year ago, and hilariously, forgot a lot of it. Not that it wasn't memorable, but that my memory for books is THAT flimsy. I hadn't forgotten the dialogue though. Whew.

Original Review:

I maybe stayed up far too late loving every second of this delightful book. The dialogue and push and pull, the WONDERFUL heroine’s courage and demands for her own life. The broody yet fun hero’s actions were so sweet...I’m not sure why I’m not giving it a 5. It’s a 4.5
Frankie Lovely
Review to come

This was actually really great!

The entire beginning of this book is seriously laugh out loud hilarious ... and I mean that in a good way!

It veered from where I wanted it to go around the 70% mark and slumped just a tad bit for a little while ... but overall a really unexpectedly fantastic read!

BUT THAT COVER IS CRAP!
Mary - Buried Under Romance
I think I'm beginning to like Charlotte more than Minerva. :)
Warda
Jul 04, 2018 rated it liked it
[3.5 ]

I just have the best time with these books.
Mari
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, romance
\_(ツ)_/

I couldn't sleep last night.
Gio Listmaker
Nov 25, 2016 rated it really liked it

Pistol purse | For the 1884 pistol owner, what better way to carry and conceal the dainty weapon than this purple purse? As it only carried one bullet, the owner had to make sure it was not a wasted shot.:

Image result for victorian lock pick

A Light Fun Read

Tina Said It Best!

Vintage
Best sex ed talk ever!

A solid 3.5.

I really enjoyed this book. Both the hero and the heroine stood out. She was adorable and quirky without being too cutesy, and he was a hunk of burning yumminess. He's a little closed down and refuses to be "in love", but makes it quite clear in every way with his actions and statements that he is head over heels.

There are quite a few funny moments as in the above mentioned sex ed talk involving the h's uncomfortable mother comparing men and women's sex organs

• One Good Earl Deserves a Lover (The Rules of Scoundrels, #2)
  • A Rogue by Any Other Name (The Rules of Scoundrels, #1)
  • The Rogue Not Taken (Scandal & Scoundrel, #1)
  • Brazen and the Beast (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #2)
  • A Scot in the Dark (Scandal & Scoundrel, #2)
  • No Good Duke Goes Unpunished (The Rules of Scoundrels, #3)
  • Never Judge a Lady by Her Cover (The Rules of Scoundrels, #4)
  • Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart (Love By Numbers, #3)
  • Devil's Daughter (The Ravenels, #5)
  • Wicked and the Wallflower (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #1)
  • Marrying Winterborne (The Ravenels, #2)
  • Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake (Love By Numbers, #1)
  • The Day of the Duchess (Scandal & Scoundrel, #3)
  • Devil in Spring (The Ravenels, #3)
  • Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord (Love By Numbers, #2)
  • Dreaming of You (The Gamblers of Craven's, #2)
  • Devil in Winter (Wallflowers, #3)
  • Cold-Hearted Rake (The Ravenels, #1)
Sign up for Tessa's newsletter and be the first to hear about new books and hot deals! http://tessadare.com/newsletter-signup/

Tessa Dare is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of fourteen historical romance novels and five novellas. Her books have won numerous accolades, including Romance Writers of America’s prestigious RITA award (twice!) and the RT Book Reviews Seal of

Spindle Cove (5 books)
  • A Night to Surrender (Spindle Cove, #1)
  • A Week to Be Wicked (Spindle Cove, #2)
  • A Lady by Midnight (Spindle Cove, #3)
  • Any Duchess Will Do (Spindle Cove, #4)
“I can’t agree to a convenient arrangement, my lord. Your devotion to duty may be admirable, but ‘lie back and think of England’ simply isn’t for me.” His voice became low and dark. “I cannot promise you everything you might wish, but I promise you this: When I take you to bed, you will not be thinking of England.” “Oh.” 11 likes
“I hadn’t simply taken a fancy to you.” “No?” He shook his head slowly. His thumb traced the shape of her lips. “Fancy doesn’t begin to describe it. This is closer to . . . an obsession. An enchantment, or perhaps a curse. You’re like a little fair-haired witch who cast a spell on me, and I can’t concentrate. I can’t sleep. I can’t think of anything but hearing you laugh and holding you close and imagining what you’ll look like naked in my bed.” 11 likes