Start by marking “Repressed (Deadly Secrets, #1)” as Want to Read:
Repressed (Deadly Secrets, #1)

Repressed

(Deadly Secrets #1)

Hidden Falls is exactly as Samantha Parker left it—small, insular, and prone to gossip. Eighteen years have passed since she witnessed her brother’s murder, but she’s still the talk of the town. Until a handsome child psychologist with haunting memories of his own arrives.

Dr. Ethan McClane isn’t exactly a newcomer. If it weren’t for his latest case, he’d never set foot bac
Published July 26th 2016 by Montlake Romance

To ask other readers questions about Repressed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Repressed

Start your review of Repressed (Deadly Secrets, #1)
Alex ♈
Interesting, but predictable suspense.
Cool heroine, but after she repeatedly called her cute dog silly, I couldn't really connect to her. Lame. The dog had definitely more brain than the half of side characters...

The big reveal of mystery confused me. I could barely follow all the names. Who the fycks was the villain?... Two time reread and still doubt my skills of understanding...

The romance was too present for a thriller. It was not a romantic suspense, it was a suspenseful romance.
Kate
3.5 stars.

Please, please, please…. Don’t hurt him. Don’t hurt my Seth.

And I was hooked.

I’ve read a couple of Ms. Naughton’s books and she is a very talented writer with unique plots. They are never boring.

On a whim via Netgalley the publisher marked it as Wish For It and I clicked it never in a million years did I actually think that my wish would be granted. Happy days!

17 years have passed since that fateful night. Samantha Parker is back in Hidden Falls to look after her dying mother and to
Sarah Joint
Jan 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Entertaining and quick. Way more sex scenes than I thought there would be. I very rarely read books that are as far into the "romance" as this one so maybe that's par for the course, I wouldn't know. The story was convoluted and a little soap opera-ish. At times I had a hard time keeping track of the characters. I really wish authors wouldn't switch back and forth from referring to characters by their first or last name. It's a lot easier if you just pick one!

Samantha Parker is back in the town
☕️Kimberly
An 18-year-old murder, repressed memories, secrets and lies made Repressed perfect for audio. Amy Landon did an excellent job of bringing both the story and suspenseful tones to life.

Hidden Falls, California. Samantha Parker reluctantly returns to her hometown after her mother’s passing to prepare the home for sale. She ends up working temporarily at the local high school in the science department.

The return home hasn’t been easy. Samantha has been plagued by nightmares. To make matters worse so
Britney
I won Repressed in Goodreads first reads. After reading the synopsis it sounded like it was going to be a good book, but it wasn't. I didn't even finish the book which is very rare for me.

The mystery kept me wanting to read, but unfortunately it was over taken by the romance part. I have no problems with romantic suspense but this was just way you much. All the main character thought about was how sexy the investigating officer was if he was going to show up at her house. The sex scenes were so
-ya
Aug 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
3.5-stars
It is a good KU pick for those readers who like RS with an emphasis on the romance. HTH:/

#stand-alone #insta-steam # push-and-pull heroine # really nice hero
Ivy Deluca
description
The Bottom Line
A story I really wanted to connect with more than I did, but I feel it’s a case of “it’s not you, it’s me.” If the romance doesn’t click, the rest tends to fall apart which is what happened for me. Awkward at times, the writing was serviceable, but it was way too easy to put it down. However, if you’re a big fan of romantic suspense, you may enjoy this more than I did.

**ARC provided by publisher via netgalley for review**

For more reviews, visit
description
description description description description description description
Kris - My Novelesque Life
REPRESSED
(Deadly Secrets: #1)
Written by Elisabeth Naughton
2016; Montlake Romance (318 Pages)
Genre: series, fiction, mystery, suspense, romantic suspense

RATING: ★★★

Samantha is back in town trying to settle her mother's estate and takes a job as a chemistry teacher. She cannot wait to sell her mother's home and get back to her life, and it seems like someone else wants her gone too. Enter Dr. Ethan McClane - therapist for a troubled student - and soon Ethan has fallen in love with Samantha. Saman
Petra
Straightforward romantic suspense novel. More emphasis on the romance than the suspense. Characters were a bit too clichéd and the plot too predictable. The narrator made the characters sound too alike. Some male characters sounded way too feminine.
Mindy Lou's Book Review
Jun 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
4.5 Intriguing Stars!

Samantha Parker witnessed the murder of her older brother when she was 10 years old. She's also having nightmares that she can't explain that involves the cabin in the woods.

Repressed begins 18 years later when Samantha is back in town temporarily taking care of her mothers estate. While she waits to sell her mom's house, she takes a temporary job as a Chemistry teacher in the local high school. There have been a few scary incidents while she has been in town and Samantha b
Vicki
This mystery was really good and it kept me guessing until the end. The setting is Hidden Falls, Oregon. It appears to be a fairly small town where everyone knows everyone and the history of a mystery that occurred 18 years previously is known to everyone.

Samantha Parker, a chemistry teacher, witnessed her brother get murdered when she was a young girl and it's affected her a great deal. She is seeing a therapist, Dr. Ethan McClane, who has three siblings. There are several characters who play
CD {Boulder Blvd}
Sami, returning to her small home town of Hidden Falls to help her sick mom and staying to sell her the family home, has taken a teaching position at the high school where she herself graduated. It's not what she wants and she really wants to get everything taken care of and move back to California. A new student is transferred in and comes with a court appointed therapist, Ethan. Sami doesn't really like therapists due to her past repressed memories that are tied to the death of her brother. Th ...more
Susanne  Strong
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Thank you to Netgalley and Montlake for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Samantha “Sam” Parker returns to Hidden Falls after an 18 year absence to care for her ailing mother, who passes away shortly after her return. If Sam had her way, she would hightailed it right out of town as the memories of her brother’s death surround her wherever she turns. In addition, someone else has made it clear that they too, want her gone - as they fear that she is keeping secrets about the past that they
Princess under cover
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I like this one. 4.5 rounded down. Here's why I like it:

* There's actually mystery and suspense! Even tho I always knew who was the good guy, since I read this series from the 4th book backwards, I haven't read closely enough to recall who was the bad guy, or maybe that was never revealed in the other books. It didn't exactly turn out the way I thought it might, so having me keep guessing at all the connections and who did what was good for me.

* The heroine is nobody's fool. She's been through s
Mary
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
I won Repressed in a Goodreads giveaway and, although I was excited at first, I quickly learned this is NOT my type of literature. At times, the mystery was thrilling and had me flipping pages like a mad woman, but I was completely turned off by the drawn out sex scenes (see what I did there :)) and I admit that I rolled my eyes more than once at the "Does he like me?", "Does she like me?" drama that finally became so repetitive that I almost put down the book for good. YA romances move beyond t ...more
AH
Initial Thoughts: About 3.0-3.5 stars, still thinking about it. Nicely paced thriller, good lead couple, but a little too easy to guess the villains and the deep dark secret.

The Review:
Repressed was a fun little summer read. A nicely paced thriller, full of secrets and twists.

What I liked about this book:
I liked Samantha and Ethan. They had a wonderful chemistry together and each had their own secrets about their past.
I enjoyed the small town atmosphere. It really added to the gossipy and sec
Lissa
Jul 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-reads, arcs
I first started reading Elisabeth Naughton when I discovered her Eternal Guardians series. I enjoy the heck out of that series, but holy cow!! Repressed is amazing. It took me a bit to get past the first two chapters- not because there was anything wrong, but because I felt as though I was there and, frankly, I had to stop occasionally so my heart rate would slow down. Once I got past those initial chapters and as Sam and Ethan got past their initial meeting, I found myself unable to put this bo ...more
Glamdring
May 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: amateurs of romantic suspense
The book started slow for me and I had difficulties getting into the story. But once I was in, it was good. Sam and Ethan as well as the secondary characters are really good and the plot well thought.

Ms. Naughton manages to keep you on your toes and guessing until the end.
OjoAusana
Jan 21, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2020
2.5 rounded up to 3. This was a relatively short book but wow did it feel long with those sex scenes... Within the first few minutes i could tell that i would probably not like ethan, like it's dudes like that that are scary af, hes just super objectifying and creepily possessive.... I found this on kindle unlimited which doesn't really make genres clear all the time lol so i didn't realise just uh how sexual it would get, but this book could easily be 50pgs shorter just without the sex scenes l ...more
Anita
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm not a fan of angsty, TSTL heroines. When your throw in plot holes to numerous to count, I usually start skim reading just to get through the experience. Because I haven't read much by Elisabeth Naughton, I hung in there and am glad I did. The last half of the book made the slog through the first half worth it. Books about small towns tend to fall into two categories: 1) It takes a village - where everyone knows everyone and the gossip train runs continually and everybody loves everybody with ...more
Claire - The Coffeeholic Bookworm
Samantha Parker never wanted to go back to Hidden Falls, seventeen years after the death of her brother. But she had to. Hidden Falls was small town surrounded by familiar people, old memories and apparently, a deep dark secret involving one of its beloved citizens.

Dr. Ethan McClane, a psychologist, got a new assignment, and that’s acting as the therapist for a juvenile delinquent Thomas Adler. He didn’t realize though that he’d be traveling back to Hidden Falls. Nearly two decades had passed, n
RachelW (BamaGal)
Samantha Parker is back in her small hometown of Hidden Falls, 18 years after her brother's murder. Sam witnessed the murder, but has managed to repress the memories to retain her sanity and get on with her life. Now that she is back, strange things are happening to her, letting her know that someone wants her gone. When a troubled student at the high school where she works needs a clinical evaluation, in comes Dr. Ethan McClane into her school and her life; and Ethan is a man who has his own se ...more
Charley Girl
May 06, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-read
Hmmmm....I was looking for a mystery and I didn't notice that it was shelved mostly has a romance or romantic suspense, which it is. The book concentrate mostly on Samantha and Ethan's relationship...sex life more than anything.

I found the characters to be lacking and acting in stereotypical ways. I was vested in any of them and found details in the book that didn't add anything to the story. These include Ethan's nicotine withdrawals and Thomas' grandmother's dislike and general negativity tow
Kim
Jul 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Repressed is the first book in a new series from an author I have come to love, and if it is any indication, this series is going to seriously kick ass! Repressed is filled with secrets, lies, twists and turns that kept me furiously flipping the pages from the second I picked it up until I reached the last page.

Samantha Parker reluctantly returned to her hometown of Hidden Falls when her mother fell ill and needed her help. This town holds far too many painful memories for her, and now
TJ
3.5/5.0

This is a really hard book to rate. It fulfills all the requirements of a nail-biting romantic suspense. The writing is good and tightly woven. It was extremely predictable, though. Nothing was a big surprise and I was able to accurately guess the villains and the true nature of the heroes very early on. I also had a hard time with Samantha’s character. She just wasn’t very nice to Ethan and those who truly cared about her. Yes, there is a reason but it still made for a hard character to
Onnica
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Book: Repressed

Author: Elisabeth Naughton

Series: Repressed #1

Main characters: Samantha Parker, chemistry teacher and unwilling returnee to her hometown of Hidden Falls. Ethan McClane, a psychiatrist and also a native of Hidden Falls who doesn’t count on falling for the chemistry teacher.

Plot: Samantha Parker is back home in Hidden Falls trying to sell her late mother’s house. Once her business is finalised, she has every intention of getting the hell out of there and heading back to California.
A
Carol Storm
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Did not finish -- the plot moved fast enough, but the small town secrets were so unbelievable! Take your dog for a walk and he's sure to dig up a skull. And the high school intrigue stuff was fall down laughing funny. A high school English teacher who looks like Kate Upton and acts like the Wicked Witch in the Wizard of Oz! Most of the high school English teachers I know look more like Willie Nelson.

Then there was the sexual tension. Oh, there's lots of it. The hero and heroine get locked in a
Tracy T.
Aug 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good story, very interesting and kept me guessing. Narration fail with hero's voice. (audible review)

I liked Samantha and Ethan, they made a good couple. The chemistry between them was good and there were a couple of well written sex scenes.

The story line and plot was good. Some mystery, murder, and secrets. It also flowed very well and did not get confusing. Lots of dialogue throughout the story. And some interesting secondary characters that could probably lead to another book.

As f
Lynn Mccarthy
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
We have little bits of everything in this book romance,humor,mystery and suspense.

Samantha Parker witnessed the murder of her older brother when she was young but she has suppressed the memories.Sams mothers dies and she returns to hidden falls she is staying to finalize the estate sell the house and return to california when all is done.Sam has taken a job in the local school while she is staying there.
Ethan McClane is a psychologist he left the town years ago but has also returned to help a yo
Jessica Ashe
Mar 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: could-not-finish
The premise could hold some interest, but for the most part immature, repetitive, and extremely boring. The characters lack originality and substance.

I could not finish this book, my friends.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Game of Fear (Montgomery Justice #3)
  • In Her Sights
  • Behind the Lies (Montgomery Justice, #2)
  • Forgotten Legacy (Singing River Legacy #2)
  • Forgotten Secrets (Singing River Legacy, #1)
  • The Dollmaker (The Forgotten Files, #2)
  • Dark Waters (Barkley Sound, #2)
  • The Widow's Cabin
  • The Devil's Daughter (Hidden Sins #1)
  • A Dark Lure (A Dark Lure, #1)
  • Burn You Twice
  • Cross Her Heart (Bree Taggert, #1)
  • See Her Die (Bree Taggert, #2)
  • I See You (Arrington Mystery Book 1)
  • A Bone to Pick (Widow's Island #2)
  • The Girl and the Deadly End (Emma Griffin #7)
  • Frank Bannon: The Fixer: A Western Adventure (A Frank Bannon Western Book 1)
  • The Girl in the Manor (Emma Griffin FBI Mystery, #3)
Before topping multiple bestseller lists—including those of the New York Times, USA Today, and the Wall Street Journal—award winning author Elisabeth Naughton taught middle school science. A voracious reader, she soon discovered she had a knack for creating stories with a chemistry of their own. The spark turned into a flame, and Elisabeth now writes full-time.

Though primarily known for her romant

Deadly Secrets (4 books)
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
  • Unspeakable (Deadly Secrets, #4)