Start by marking “Willow Vale” as Want to Read:
Willow Vale

Willow Vale

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  45 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
~WESTERN HORIZON AWARD WINNER!
~WYOMING STATE HISTORICAL SOCIETY PUBLICATIONS FICTION AWARD WINNER!
~KIRKUS INDIE NEW AND NOTABLE!
In this inspiring novel of hope, from opposite sides of an ocean two people wounded by the Great War are fated to meet and try to rebuild their lives. Francesca Sittoni was brought against her will to America by the husband she never loved. Now sh
Paperback, 2nd, 170 pages
Published January 8th 2016 by C. A. Williams (first published January 3rd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Willow Vale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Willow Vale

Donna
Jan 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this book through a Goodreads First Reads giveaway.

I really enjoyed the journey of reading this book. It was short, only 150 or so pages, but every one was an enjoyable read. It reminded me of the Little House on the Prairie books I read as a little girl - wilderness, living off of the land, innocence in morals, and cherishing the little things in life. I enjoyed the story of Kent & Francesca and little Elena, and thought that their coming together (finally) in life was a sweet ending
Lilibet King
Apr 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can you imagine being in a foreign country where few people speak your language, and then losing your husband and home? That’s what happens to Francesca Sittoni in Alethea Williams’ new novel, Willow Vale. Not long after she and her young daughter move from Italy to Wyoming, her husband dies in a mine accident, leaving Francesca alone and pregnant, with a small child and a home that the mining company wants her to vacate.

Francesca answers an ad for a housekeeper in Willow Vale, and meets Kent Re
MJ
Willow Vale by Alethea Williams

I won this book through the Goodreads Giveaways.

I found this story adorable and just long enough to give it purpose, but just short enough to give it mystery and leave the reader wanting more. Although sad when thought about as a whole, when only seen as the journey of a man and a woman trying to find their way in the world, it becomes sad AND beautiful.

Although little is known about Francesca and Kent before the story takes place, they are still well rounded, enjo
Arletta Dawdy
Jul 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Readers and reviewers of WILLOW VALE are attracted to the question of what is real in the facts of the story and quiz the author about her family history. Many miss the deep and sensitive reality in the examination of relationship. Alethea Williams has done an extraordinary job of illuminating how two lonely and damaged people skirt the love and tenderness, the trust and bonding available to each in the other. Francesca's young daughter, Elena, attaches quickly to "mister" as he does to her, ope ...more
Siobhan Pratt
Jun 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The product description on this book explains succinctly what the story is about, and the story delivers exactly what is promised. Willow Vale is a sweet and intriguing unfolding love story played out by two very real and likable characters. Kent Read and Francesca Sittoni both have to make new lives for themselves, after the devastation that the Great War has brought to their lives.
I was constantly enticed to keep reading, wanting to know what decisions they would make, and what cards fate woul
P.S. Winn
Jul 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a beautifully written example of life and love. Francesca left her beloved Italy to come to America with her husband Cesare. Because of his treatment of her it wasn't that great of a loss when he died, except monetary. With no money and no hone Francesca answers and add to be a housekeeper. As she travels with her young daughter to Willow Valley to meet her new employer, ken Reed, the adventure of life and love begins. This was a well written tale that brought to life what it was li ...more
Amanda Cowan
Mar 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One thing that I love about this book is that it's based on a true story. I really cared about these characters and while some might say the story is predictable, I still found myself reading and reading until I finished it. I found myself feeling quite romantically about the way they lived, even though I'm sure I would really miss the modern conveniences of today. One thing that might have urged me to give it 5 stars over 4 would have been to have a little more conflict. But overall, especially ...more
Emily-Jane Orford
I enjoyed this book. It was a very pleasant, easy read. It never ceases to amaze me how contrary people can be and how many ways people can create difficulties in relationships. Life is too short - the underlying lesson of this story. My question to the author, is this creative nonfiction/memoir? The Epilogue certainly suggests that it is. Highly recommmended. Reviewed by Emily-Jane Hills Orford, award-winning author of "The Whistling Bishop" and "F-Stop: A Life in Pictures".
Peggy
Mar 17, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very easy read and a "happy" book to read. The only thing that I felt was missing was more past details on the two main characters of Francesca & Kent. For instance, more information on what exactly happened to Kent during his war years. This would have given the character of Kent more depth & we would have understood more of his personality and where his actions came from. I also wanted to know more about who Elena's real father was.
Ellen
Dec 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this in a Goodreads First Reads giveaway...thank you Goodreads! I really wasn't expecting too much from this book, but I was very, very pleasantly surprised! I thought it would be a dull, amateurish novel but I was completely wrong. It was a really great read...interesting characters, an entertaining story, and very well-written. I loved it!
Jenni
Apr 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alethea Williams has written a beautiful historical novel that takes you on a journey through the life of a struggling Immigrant women and her daughter, a Wyoming Rancher and their search for happiness in the first part of the 20th century. A love story that will have you wishing it were true.
This novel of historical fiction was a pleasant surprise. I enjoyed reading about Francesca and how she found herself in Wyoming. It was a quick 2 day read, but was fun and I did have a hard time putting it down. "Willow Vale" was a nice giveaway win from Goodreads.
Gayle Irwin
Jul 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I became totally engrossed in this book! A wonderful historical novel with drama and romance. The characters are wonderfully-developed and easy-to-relate-to, and the settings were captivating! I highly recommend this book!
Laurel
Jan 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
This was an excellent book. I found it realistic, touching, and beautiful.

I don't want to give away any of the story, so I won't describe any of that, but I will say I'd recommend it to anyone.

I couldn't put it down! :D
Mary Steiner
This is a free book from Goodreads First Reads. I loved this book. The characters were believable. The setting was accurate. They overcame their differante backgrounds, language problems and personal demons, to find a lasting love. What's not to like about a story like this? Thank you.
Deborah Gaspar
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this book because it was to represent my part of Wyoming. It did that a bit. But what it does better is represent the fact of World War I and immigration to survive. The characters are great. And the story moves right along.
Susan
Jan 29, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
All the reviews on Amazon gave this book 5 stars. They must have been friends or relatives of the author. Saved from 1 star by virtue of its short length and the first 2 chapters being somewhat interesting.
KO
  • Wolf River
  • Hour of the Beast
  • Star Watchers
  • Yokohama Yankee: My Family's Five Generations as Outsiders in Japan
  • Thaloc Has a Body (Brodie Wade, #2)
  • Roses of Winter
  • The Carny
  • Forgotten Treasures: 25 Short Fiction Tales
  • A Heart on Hold (An Everlasting Heart, #1)
  • Cera's Place
  • Elements of Rebellion
  • The Sulphur Cure
  • To Wander The Labyrinth
  • The Key of Amatahns (Argetallam Saga, #1)
  • P.S. I'm Pregnant
  • Freya 800 AD
  • Wide Open
Alethea Williams grew up in southwest Wyoming. Willow Vale is her first novel of the immigrant experience, dealing with the Tyroleans after WWI. Willow Vale won a 2012 Wyoming State Historical Society Publications Award. Her second novel details the Irish immigrant experience and the Orphan Train movement in Walls for the Wind. Walls for the Wind, the first in the Irish Blessings series, is a WILL ...more
More about Alethea Williams