Start by marking “False Prophet (Saul Marshall #1)” as Want to Read:
False Prophet (Saul Marshall #1)

False Prophet

(Saul Marshall #1)

A psychotic terrorist has his son. He will do anything to save him

When a rogue cult turns deadly, the FBI call on former conman Agent Saul Marshall. FALSE PROPHET introduces a gripping new series from thriller writer Richard Davis

Marshall is soon drawn into a cat and mouse chase with the leader of the cult, Ivan Drexler. As the scale of Drexler’s terrorist ambition becomes
Published January 25th 2016

To ask other readers questions about False Prophet, please sign up.

Start your review of False Prophet (Saul Marshall #1)
Kathi Defranc
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very good, fast-paced story involving a homegrown terrorist who uses a cult to keep his supporters in line. Right away there are several events which at first appear to be suicide, but when studied closely are definitely not! This is the first in a series following Saul Marshall, a former con-man, FBI agent with valor and integrity when fighting for this country. Some of Saul's methods haven't been exactly kosher, but he always does what he sets out to do! This cult group includes people who b ...more
Feb 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
False Prophet is the authors debut novel and also the first in a new series of novels following Saul Marshall.

It didn't actually take me long to read this novel at all. Due to the short chapters and the storyline, I found myself flying through it.

The whole storyline is one that will certainly get the readers attention, especially if you enjoy a story with a good plot that is very much a race against time.

Saul is certainly an interesting character. In a world where he doesn't know who he can tru
Donna Maguire

I love the cover of this book and the blurb really intrigued me. The book is really well laid out and it has the short punchy chapters that I love, the pace is fast and I flew through the story. It has plenty of thrills and lots of action as it is a race against time with the clock ticking.

It is a very easy read, I really liked the main character and his determination and definitely would want to read more with him in - this is a great start to the series!
Ivan
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is an amazing thriller with lots of awesome twists and turns. A definite page turner and amazing writing!
Jcad6169
Jun 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Has good potential. If the series continues I hope the writing improves.
Ash
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I received a review copy of this book from the author.

I was really excited to start this book because it has a lot of stuff that I find interesting in books. The idea of a serial-killing cult was especially fascinating to me and what made me really want to read the book. Having finished the book in only a handful of days, it lived up to my expectations and I really enjoyed it.

False Prophet is the debut thriller novel by Richard Davis following FBI agent and former con-man Saul Marshall. When a r
Shana Fidalgo
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Fast-paced, relentless and brutally exciting, FALSE PROPHET marks the entrance of a major new thriller talent.

This book is part of a series from Richard Davis, called Saul Marshall (our main character) – and this is the 1st book of the series – and I seriously never heard of it. I love thrillers and this one got me hooked up for at least 4 days non stop (ok ok…mum here only read at night… still I couldn’t let go of the book for at least a couple of hours).

Excellently written, this author is no
Jackie Roche
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I would like to thank Caroline at UKCBC and the author for giving me the opportunity to read this which I voluntarily reviewed.
This is the first book I've read by Richard Davis and it certainly won't be the last.
I read some of this book and then switched to audio when I had other things to do. I did this because I was so engrossed in the story I was desperate to find out what happened.
Saul Marshall, ex-conman turned FBI agent is a complex character with a conscience. He feels guilty because of s
Arik Laen
Jan 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I just finished this intriguing book. I'm sure that most of you are going to enjoy it. If you have read any of my reviews, you know I don't give spoilers, but let me tell you about the book over all.
Something, I have found lacking in many novels of late, movies, and TV shows, is the ability of the author or story teller to really bring you along for the ride without being obvious about what's going to happen next. Richard Davis pulls this off very well. I hate being able to call a story.
The ch
ash lloyd spanton
Mar 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Originally posted on citygirlscapes.com.

False Prophet is another book that found its way to me after author Richard Davis reached out to us for review. This time, however, I didn’t hesitate in accepting a copy. It sounded right up my alley and it started off with a man reading his own obituary in the paper. My attention was definitely caught.

I really liked Davis’ written voice. There was a nonchalant casualness to it; it read and flowed very naturally. But it’s also written very well. It’s tigh
Rabid Readers Reviews
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
False Prophet is the first book in the Saul Marshall series and, as such, it does suffer from some disadvantages. Saul is a classic loose cannon who has done too much and seen too much and a few steps ahead of everyone. Of course, he knows everything and he’s one of those guys that tells us everything he knows. Davis is clearly a well informed guy and one that feels a responsibility to share with his readers that information that drives the story. Saul is a conman. He’s trained to notice everyth ...more
Memphistigergal
Feb 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was my introduction to the Saul Marshall series and I can't wait to read my next one. The first part of the book was a little slow for me and it took a while for me to connect the dots between the characters. Most of this is most likely due to the fact that I haven't read the previous books.

Once I hit about 1/3 of the way into this book, I was hooked. I don't want to give any spoilers, but this was a very entertaining and well-written thriller.

The story involves an agent trying to rescue
Mark
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Imagine ‘24’, ‘Blacklist’ ‘Designated Survivor’ all rolled into one and you immediately get the idea of this book
Book 1 of the 3 book Saul Marshall series is all about Saul, his past and how he is now a kinda FBI bad boy/fugitive ( these explanations of his past are immediate and full on and like WOW, really??) and how his son who has been missing for 2 years re-appears kidnapped by a cult....all of whom via terrorist acts are causing chaos across America ( inc using real poisonous gas in a Holl
Sara
Mar 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks
I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. This has not altered my opinion. Hints at the spoilers but no actual spoilers.

This book felt very real to me, which made it all the more interesting to read. The beginning was a bit slow and took a bit of getting into, but when the running started it really did not stop until the very end. We follow Saul Marshall: con-artist turned FBI agent, who has just realized that his son has gone missing. That part is a bit complicated
Rebecca Charlesworth
This was not my usual genre of book, but I happily give most books a try. I did find it hard to get in to this book to begin with as I was dipping in and out for 10 minutes here and there, but I'm glad I stuck with it. This is the authors first book about Saul Marshall and his relentless task of trying to save his son. The action is continuous, picks up and slows down in places but never the less action packed throughout, personally I found parts a little too detailed in some aspects for me such ...more
Linda
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a great thriller. I can't call it a mystery because we know who the bad guy is in the first chapter. But it very much is a thriller. We have to follow our hero FBI agent Saul Marshall, as he tries to rescue his son from the clutches of a cult. With the help of Vannevar Yeung and Mort Giles he's on his way but believe me this is a page turner. This book kept me up all night. I got this book off a free site but this is an honest review ...more
Joel Green
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Saul Marshall is a gritty, hard-boiled hero up against a horrifying adversary in this tight, sleek thriller. Unexpected twists and psychological drama drive the action and there is a pervasive sense of impending threat as the clock runs down toward a horrifying confrontation. Recommended to anyone who enjoys Lee Child, James Patterson and Michael Connelly.
Janice Carter
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Movie In The Offing?

One can only hope. A worthy explosive saga that gains momentum with every page. It is always impressive when technical detail informs as well as adds depth without slowing the pace of heightening suspense.
julia holly
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great

I really enjoyed reading False prophets. It’s fast paced and different from other books I’ve read as you don’t know what’s coming next.
Jo
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ex con man, former FBI man with missing son, targeted by cult leader fixated on his past. Thrilling
Gordon Mcghie
Mar 03, 2017 rated it liked it
We are introduced to Saul Marshall – he is a guy with a fascinating past, an FBI agent who was once one of the best conmen in the game. He is resourceful, connected and a bit of a loose cannon (basically he is a hugely entertaining lead character).

Marshall is on a visit to England. A prisoner with a history of mental health issues has a warning for Saul – he knows of a former prisoner by name of Ivan Drexler who has crossed paths with Saul in the past and he blames Saul for his incarceration. Th
Julie Lacey
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Took a while to get into but once I got to know the main character I really enjoyed this book.
Alyce Hunt
Full review is coming on Monday, as part of the blog tour for the sequel to this book, 'Never Forget'. I have a couple of problems with this one that just blocked it from being four stars, but I enjoyed the story and Saul Marshall's character is so easy to relate to.

EDIT 27/02/17:
This was so close to getting four stars, but a couple of things didn't work for me. I can't discuss one of those here, because it's a HUGE spoiler - literally the last chapter of the book - so I'll probably end up writi
Chris Nolan
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am very grateful to Richard Davis for sending me an ARC of False Prophet, the first in his Saul Marshall thriller series. Saul is a fascinating character, a former conman now working for the FBI but still something of a maverick. In this story he is involved in the destruction of a particularly nasty cult and when it becomes clear that his own son has been drafted into the cult, Marshall will go to any lengths to destroy its leader and save Samuel. Fast-paced, gripping from the start and a rea ...more
Daniel Cross
Jun 15, 2016 rated it liked it
False Prophet tells the story of Saul Marshall, a former con-man turned FBI agent who must work outside of the law in order to fight a terrorist cult and rescue his son from their clutches. The leader of the cult (The Order of Babylon) is Ivan Drexler, a known psychopath and criminal who has a vendetta against Saul Marshall, blaming him for his previous incarceration.

The story is mainly given from the point of view of Saul Marshall and employs the simplistic writing style of the genre. This make
Margaret Tidwell
Apr 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
FTC: I received a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for my honest review. I received no other compensation and the opinions expressed in this review are mine.

False Prophet by Richard Davis was another book that I knew I would like just because of the type of book it was. Right from the first chapter of this book I was hooked and I didn’t want to put the book down until I had finished it. There are so many things that I enjoyed about this book that I am not sure what to say. I lo
Teri
Mar 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoy settling down with a good thriller every now and then and I knew I'd found one when on the first page a character reads his own obituary in the newspaper. There's no way I can put down a book after that.

The author has created an intriguing character to build a series on - Saul has a fascinating backstory, both good and bad aspects, with varying shades of gray. The fact that he's a former conman made me want to read this book, but it didn't really factor into this novel. Since it's mentio
Alison
Apr 18, 2016 rated it liked it
The prologue really captured my imagination .. nothing like reading your own obituary to fire up the senses! The next few chapters moved along slowly while I tried to figure out what was going on but then it did ramp up a notch and take the reader on a frantic journey against a psychotic terrorist intent on kidnap.

This is a debut novel and the first of a series based around ex-con Saul Marshall there is certainly potential for him to grow a loyal following. It’s a gritty sometimes graphically vi
Katrina
Jan 15, 2016 rated it liked it
image
3 out of 5 stars

This book had a very interesting story that had elements of psychology, terrorism, cultism and all manner of government. It took a while for me to really get involved in the book which is why the 3 out of 5 stars. Once I was about 40% through I couldn't put it down. I wanted to like the main character more than I did and would have liked a little more of his backstory as a con artist.

There was a lot of violence in this book so I wouldn't recommend it if you don't like that,
Gigi Frost
Davis presents a richly devious plot that will seduce the reader into the thrilling sequence of one man's struggle for truth and justice.

Saul Marshall is forced into action, leaving his job with the FBI to find his missing son. He races against the clock, using every resource imaginable to dig deeper into a crime-ridden world where the rules of society become nonexistent.

The subject matter is obviously well researched and there is a depth of moral obligation and personal connections that allow

• Magical Midlife Madness (Leveling Up #1)
  • Cross Her Heart (Bree Taggert, #1)
  • The Safe Place
  • My Way to You (Creek Canyon, #1)
  • Hysteria (Alexander Gregory Thrillers, #2)
  • If You Must Know (Potomac Point, #1)
  • The Shrine (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #16)
  • The Rabbit Girls
  • Truth Lies Buried
  • The Red Cobra (James Ryker #1)
  • Knife Edge
  • Vengeance Road (Jack Gannon, #1)
  • The Mountain (Ryan Decker #3)
  • Until You're Mine (DI Lorraine Fisher #1)
  • Never Look Back  (Criminal Profiler #5)
  • Borderlands (DCI Ryan Mysteries #14)
  • A Place of Execution
  • The Raid (Ryan Decker #2)
Richard Davis graduated from University College London in 2011 and Cambridge University in 2012. The Saul Marshall series was born from Davis’s extensive travels around the United States and his long-standing obsession with thriller fiction. He lives in North London, UK, with his girlfriend.

Saul Marshall (3 books)
  • Never Forget (Saul Marshall #2)
  • Riot (Saul Marshall #3)