Start by marking “In the Present Tense” as Want to Read:
In the Present Tense

In the Present Tense

(In the Present Tense #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  74 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Miles Lawson goes to sleep dreaming of a future with his boyfriend Adam, but wakes to find he is married to Ana, an acquaintance from high school. When he learns he has been time traveling, Miles is consumed with finding a cure for his rare condition—and finding his first love.

Traveling more frequently, Miles assembles the puzzle pieces of his life and, in doing so, aliena
Published May 19th 2016 by Interlude Press

To ask other readers questions about In the Present Tense, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Present Tense

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
DNF at 17%.

Really didn't like the style and the time hops. I actually don't know if this is going to end up as a bisexual M/M or M/F at this point (I sort of hope it stays M/F), but I don't really care because I wasn't into the characters.
A.M. Leibowitz
Where to begin? There is a lot to love about this book, but hardly anything I can say without giving away the surprises. From beginning to end, this story is a wild ride, and it’s worth every second.

I’m always on the lookout for books outside the usual, and this one fits in every sense. It’s suspenseful and exciting, but there’s a hint of a love story underneath. I couldn’t put it down—in fact, I was so absorbed, I finished it in one sitting, staying up far too late because I absolutely had to k
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
2.5 Stars

Overview

I received a copy of this in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to the author and the publisher for the opportunity.

Pros

This is such a great idea. I was immediately enticed upon reading the description, and was so excited to get my hands on it. I think this was overall very creative, and it remained so throughout. The plot was definitely the books strongest point, and I enjoyed seeing how it all unfolded.

(view spoiler)
Nicka (Read by Nicka)

I had no idea on what this book was really about, I was originally attracted by the cover and I thought I had to request this, but then I read the description of it, right after that I was totally sold! I wasn't really expecting a lot from this book because it's my first time to read a book that has LGBTQ aspect in it and I must say that my experience while reading this book makes me want to read more out of the genre. It didn't disappoint me at all.

As I was reading the first page, I fe
Lena♥Ribka

DNF at 15%

This time jumping drove me nut.
It looks like I'm in the minority, but NOTHING worked for me here:
I disliked the story, all three MCS- most of all I disliked Ana - and the writing.

No rating.

**Copy provided by the Publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review**

Kudrat Kaur
I received an ARC of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review
This review has been cross-posted on GBR and it's so much more fun if you read it there because transferring all the gifs and formatting to GR is annoying and I might have made a mess of things but I tried.

Before reading this review: Even though I’m going to complain about the climax and the ending please do note that there is a sequel in the works and I am going to avidly be looking on the author’s website for any and
Jonathan Young
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, glbt
I received this book on Netgalley and I’ll admit I was worried. Time travel meets teen drama and I didn’t know what to expect. But I didn’t expect something this brilliant. Miles wakes up one day to find out he’s married to Ana and that his life with his boyfriend Adam was almost a decade ago. His mind can travel through time wreaking havoc with his personal life only there is more to his episodes than it first seems.

This book was so complex, like the timeline is quite a difficult one to follow
CrabbyPatty
Jul 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads, netgalley
I loved the premise of this book and the blurb really intrigued me. However, around 25% of the way through, I was thoroughly confused and wondered what I was reading. Was it time travel, a conspiracy, mental illness, or a weird combination of all of the above? The plot was so "dense" that I feared I was missing something, and wondered if everything means something ..... or nothing?

The characters talked (and talked) so much about every aspect, yet I never felt there was solid character developme
Alysia Constantine
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I’m going to come out of the closet here as someone who loves grammar. (Sorry to disappoint, but I long ago came out of the sexuality closet.) I’m coming out as a grammar nerd (okay, a queer grammar nerd) to say how much I love the title of this book. First, the double meaning of “tense”—this refers both to a time-bound verb form (is it past? Is it now?) and to the feeling of tightness (in the situation/plot, in the emotional line, in the urgency of the characters’ needs, all of that). Second, t ...more
Jude Sierra
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
In the Present Tense is a roller coaster from start to finish -- and I don't mean that as a metaphor for inconsistency, but as a non stop thrill ride that picks you up from the get go and that you're really never ready to end.

Miles is a fantastic character, and Pack does a great job of writing him in different times of his life -- he's so clear as a teenager and at various points in adulthood, even when he's in the wrong time or body. His resilience, confusion, pain and longing are handled so w
Amanda
4.5 Stars

In the Present Tense is an exciting time travel adventure and great romance. This is my first book by Carrie Pack, but I plan to read more!

The three main characters in this story are well developed with rich histories that span many years. It really helps bring them to life. The time travel aspect is crazy and topsy-turvy, as anyone should expect if they're fans of time travel books. I can see how some readers might find this kind of thing confusing, but I love it. The pacing is perfect
Suzey Ingold
May 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is so multi-dimensional—from the love story that underlines the narrative to Miles' personal struggles to the dynamic supporting cast of characters. I found myself completely hooked from start to finish; it got under my skin, haunting in a way, lingering on my mind long past I turned the final page. An incredible novel—a definite must-read.
Carol Pack-meyer
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved the back and forth of the "travels", it held my interest and I was rooting for the characters to work it all out. At the end I see the possibility of several more stories!
Monika
May 19, 2018 rated it liked it
"-You don't look depressed.
-You did not just say that.
-What?
-I don't look depressed - like there's a tattoo or something that would mark me. Tell me, O wise one, what does depression look like?"

Summary
Miles Lawson is a normal high school student who is in a happy relationship with his boyfriend, Adam. That is, until one day when he wakes up and finds out that he is 25 years old and married to Ana.

Writing
The writing style is very crisp, but it works well with the story. It makes it feel very
Ankita Singh
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-books, arcs
The first thing I did after finishing this book was look for it's sequel. I found out that it releases in August, so I rushed to NetGalley and requested it. I seriously don't know how I'll live if my request is declined.

This book is perfection. There's time travel, there's messy romance, there's YA and there's a whole lot of suspense. I mean, what's not to like?

Despite their many flaws, Miles and Adam are such beautiful crafted characters. They're real. So is Bethany.

I felt so many emotions w
Laura (bbliophile)
I requested In the Present Tense on Netgalley, because I absolutely love the cover, and the synopsis intrigued me. While I did finish it in one day, I can't say that I loved it, which is such a shame because this book could've been great.

In the Present Tense tells the story of Miles, a 17-year-old guy who is completely in love with his boyfriend Adam, when he suddenly wakes up and finds himself in his 25-year-old body and married to a girl called Ana. When he finds out he can time-travel, he go
Connie
Mar 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I had the opportunity to read an ARC of Carrie Pack’s newest science fiction novel, “In the Present Tense” and this is my review.

The story begins in 2020, when the protagonist of the novel, twenty-five-year–year-old Miles Lawson, wakes up in bed married Ana Espinosa, a girl he knows from high school. The zinger is that Miles thinks he’s seventeen-years-old and in love with his love with his high school boyfriend, Adam. How did Miles wind up like this? Time travel. Or is it?

Without giving away p
Yuè
Jul 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Writing time travel books is tricky enough as it is. Doing it well is another step up. Adding bisexuality as a normal part of the book just puts a cherry on top.

This is the mixed up story of Miles, who goes back and forth in time, always landing in his body along his timeline. Do people believe him, or do they just think he is sick n the head? How can he know the future, when he arrives in his young self from the future? And what does his young self think when he goes into the future and find th
Carrie Pack
Jan 09, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
In the Present Tense received the 2016 Foreword INDIES Book of the Year Bronze Award for Science Fiction and was also a finalist for Book of the Year in the LGBT category.
Samantha
Mar 13, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gb-shelf, mm-to-read
This doesn't sound like something I'd normally read, but that's exactly the reason I want to read it. It just sounds so dang interesting.
Tracey
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read a page or 2 at a time and at first I was lost, but that didn't last long. As soon as I got the hang of the time jumps, I loved this book!!
Jess
This book was provided for free by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This is the first book I've read by Carrie Pack. She's clearly a talented writer--her prose is tight, and she sympathizes with even the most difficult-to-love characters. I didn't love everything about this book, but it was a pretty decent read.

From the start, I never felt very connected to Miles as a protagonist, only because the supporting cast is so much better. I feel like I got to know Ana, Adam, and Bethany more
Xan West
Jul 21, 2018 marked it as do-not-read
I'm choosing not to read this because the content is likely to be too triggering for me. Including content warnings here.

Content Warnings from the author's website: (view spoiler)
Shiku
Jun 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtqia
I received a review copy via Netgalley for an honest review.

Hier geht's zur deutschen Rezension.
________________________

Carrie Pack's novel "In the Present Tense" was quite different from what I expected. What I thought I'd read about: Miles, who tries to stay together with his boyfriend, Adam, in the past, time jumps, and a rising tensions between Miles and his wife, Ana, because their feelings change together with the shifting past. What I actually read about: Yes, Miles's past self is trying
Jaymie
Jun 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, bayoubookjunkie, m-m
Miles Lawson is trying to get a handle on his complicated life. The night before he fell asleep a gay 17-year-old boy and the next morning he wakes up a 25-year-old man in bed with his beautiful wife. With no true answer as to whether or not he can really travel through time or if he is simply mentally unstable, Miles doesn't know what to do.

At 17, Miles loved Adam and thought they'd be together forever, but now at 25 Miles is married to Ana, a woman from high school he had become friends with.
Joyfully Jay
Jun 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: michelle
A Joyfully Jay review.

Whoa! Like serious holy whoa this book started out so good. I seem to frequently get the books that cannot be talked about without then spoiling their enjoyment and this one tops the list. The goal here is to find out exactly what is going on with Miles. The book takes place over several time periods, but primarily when Miles is seventeen and twenty-five. The book starts when we are told he is twenty-five and he is married to Ana. Miles believes he is seventeen,
Jenny
Jun 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good stuff. I liked the mystery a lot. There are a lot of twists. It's not EXACTLY a romance but it has its moments.
Debbie McGowan
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-best
In The Present Tense isn’t literary fiction. I appreciate this is a curious way to start a review – what the book is not – but most novels I’ve come across that takes on topics of an intellectual/political nature in the way Carrie Pack does are, ultimately vessels through which the author can show off their leet writing skills through a complex story arc, spectacular vocabulary and their ability to come up with the most convoluted sentences ever. It’s nice – if they’re aiming to appear on the A’ ...more
Molly Lolly
Dec 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Original review on Molly Lolly
Three and a half stars!
I’m really torn how to review this book. There are aspects of this book that get all the starts ever in existence. And some that made me want to yell at my Kindle and throw it. Other aspects were just meh. The book didn’t really start to go downhill until the last quarter or so and then it just kind of unraveled for me. By the end I was frustrated and wanted the fabulous book I had started to love to come back.
I loved Miles. I loved how he han
« previous 1 3 next »
  • The Quiet Within
  • Blue on Black
  • Burn For Me
  • To the Highest Bidder (A Planet Called Wish, #1)
  • Céilí
  • Phase Shift (Chaos Station, #5)
  • Nightjar
  • Snowmancer
  • Fidelity
  • The Stable Boy
  • Deacon's Law (Heroes, #3)
  • Scardust
  • What Remains
  • Heavy Hitters (Caribbean Tales, #3)
  • Small Wonders
  • Smoke & Mirrors (THIRDS, #7)
  • Five Times My Best Friend Kissed Me
  • Into the Blue
Carrie Pack is an author of books in multiple genres, including Designs on You (2014), In the Present Tense (2016), and Grrrls on the Side (2017). She is a recipient of two Foreword Reviews INDIES Book of the Year Bronze awards: in 2016 for In the Present Tense (science fiction) and in 2017 for Grrrls on the Side (young adult). Grrrls on the Side was also a finalist in the Bi Book Awards.

Her novel

In the Present Tense (2 books)
  • Past Imperfect (In the Present Tense #2)