Start by marking “Saving Silas” as Want to Read:
Saving Silas

Saving Silas

*Previously Published as part of Home For The Holidays, A M/M Holiday Anthology, Nov. 29th, 2015.*

Haunted by his years at war, Boston paramedic Gael Dominic spends his time saving other people’s lives. An empty house, a single friend, and living at work, Gael is not content with his existence, but he’s close. Gael was expecting his overnight shift on Thanksgiving to be t
Published January 7th 2016 by SJ Himes (first published November 29th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Saving Silas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saving Silas

Start your review of Saving Silas
Karla
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars!

Well this one was a sweet and sexy quick read. I was actually surprised by the emotional depth it had considering how short this book is. I loved Silas and Gael both guys were great and I especially liked how the author balance out the way they needed each in different ways. For Silas, Gael was the physical strength he needed to be able to leave his abusive father and for Gael, Silas was the anchor he needed to push his past away. Even though I loved both MC I loved Gael a little more
Deborah
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it

While this is a short story it felt much longer than its 90 pages, the characters were well developed and grew as the story continued.
Gael Dominic is a Boston paramedic still haunted by PTSD, it’s ten years since he was medically discharged from the army, he still suffers from dreams and flashbacks leaving his personal life has been on hold, that is until he saves the life of an injured young man.
Silas is nineteen years old and when we meet him he’s beaten and running away from his father who’s
Shin Mon Thway
I truly adore this book. S.J. Himes never disappoints me when it comes to her impeccable taste of story telling and plot and twists.

When Silas’s father found out his son was gay, he simply couldn’t accept the truth and tried to send Silas away to a converting camp. Silas had no choice but to run away from his tyrant father. He ended up getting severely injured while he’s on the run and rescued by Gael who was a paramedic. While Gael sent Silas to hospital, he was completely charmed by this myst
Barbara➰
What a sweet little holiday read. I would definitely want to read more about them.
Susan
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
I love hurt/comfort, but I couldn’t help but feel it was a bit overdone with Silas being beaten by his father for years, then kidnapped, locked up, ends up homeless, starving, and then being shot by a random mad man on the streets…. How much bad luck can one person have????

And there was also no relationship development whatsoever. Gael thinks the word love when they have maybe said 3 words to each other. I could do insta-love if there is massive pining and thoughts about wanting to climb the oth
Lorraine Lesar
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
"It took an angel in an alley to remind him how to love after years
of blood and death and pain"

Two men finding each other against the odds, what's not to like?
It's short, but so typical of this author's style - stylish. S.J. Himes has style in abundance, whether it's the long haul saga or like this one, a sweet bit of angst sexy step on, step off quickie.
I'm a fan.
Janie
I loved this sweet little holiday story. Gee and Silas were so good together and helped each other heal.
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Oh wow!

Christmas Magic Indeed!

Although, aside from the end, this did not read as a Christmas story to me.

This was the most sugary sweet I see him I need him I want him and he's mine romance.

Not really Christmas but a suspend belief cutsey, sweet romance.
Denise H.
**** This is a wonderful short story, with action and love !
Green eyed Silas, 19, escaped his Dad,

a famous, powerful man, after another beating. No
Conversion Therapy Camp for him. So, he's on the run, when a gunman opens fire, spraying bullets on the Boston folks who are Christmas shopping. Silas gets shot.

Big man Gael/Gee, 33, is ex military combat medic, who is a Boston EMT/Firefighter.

All units are called to respond, and it's Lt. Gael, who finds injured Silas, and Silas has lots of bruis
Jewel
Sweet story, but way too insta-everything for me and was wrapped up way too easily. But, it was a Christmas novella, so I'll be a little forgiving for that.
Candice
I really enjoyed this one, even if it was a little far fetched. It ended too quickly and I want more. The end says there's a 2nd book coming "Summer of 2016" and it's September so I don't think that's happened yet :( I'm sad, cause I could really use a good dose of Gael, Silas, and Jim. Jim, man, what a great guy.

⚣Michaelle⚣
4 Stars

...probably more like 3.8 for the story but Derrick McClain does such a damned good job with the narration that I had to bump it up a bit.
MzBond
Jan 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
I must be the only one that didn’t like this.

1. Ridiculous insta-love
2. The timing of the romance left a bad taste in my mouth due to injury and abuse.

I enjoy SJ Himes’ writing, but this one just didn’t work for me.
Annery
I didn't even realize that this is a kind of Christmas story and accordingly it's sweet and insta-everything but I didn't mind. On the contrary I think this was exactly what I needed on a chilly spring day. I'll confess I came to this because of the fabulous Derrick McClain, that man can read me the phone book, and he doesn't disappoint.

Gael is a paramedic who has been living an emotionally closed off life life after harrowing experience in Iraq. On a run after a Black Friday shooter Gael encou
Skye Blue ☆*~゚ლ(´ڡ`ლ)~*☆
Short and sweet.

For a holiday short story, it was great. I would have loved a longer version, with a little more back ground, and build up....but it might have gotten a little less holiday cheer...so that's okay. I really would have liked more background from Gael. I loved Gael being surprised by the holiday decorations, and his reaction.

Leaundra
Apr 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this one and thought they both were super sweet together!
Tammy
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: amazing-books
This was a sweet and lovely story about angels and miracles ❤️.
Josy
~ 3.5 stars ~

VERY insta-lovey!! Like instant attraction without even talking to each other and thinking the L-word after only spending a few days together. Therefore there was no relationship development to speak of. Also, the ending was a bit OTT but useful to quickly fend off the threat Silas' abusive father posed.

Still, this was a good hurt/comfort story with likable MCs with a bit of an age-gap (19 years and 33 years) which could have been even better with more emotional depth and if their d
Lori

This rating is brought to you by it's not you it's me.

Cats.

Some people love 'em, some people don't. Me, I'm very much prepared to be a mad cat lady in my latter years but my husband's Grandma looks at my kitties as though they were made by Satan himself. (That might be a tad exaggerated, but it's fair to say she doesn't like my beautiful fur balls).

Like cats, some books are loved by some and not so much by others. Even when there is nothing wrong with the writing or story, beyond it just not
jess crazy Book lady
Apr 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Gael and Silas… on word swooon.. The connection they share is so magnetic and sweet.. And we all need a Jim in our life! Can't wait for the sequel Silas mom deserves closure/resolution.. And come on daddy dearest needs what's coming to him! But if you want a epic read that keeps u wanting more when its done then this is for you
Meggie
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book, novella
Instant falling in love, kind of a romance is what we have in Saving Silas. Both MC were acceptable, but the plot around them was, personally, way to rushed, undeveloped and emotionally simply didn't feel realistic. I missed a lot, sex simply didn't make sense, not so fast after the shooting or hospital or problems. So once more, definitely, NOT, realistic!
DaisyGirl
3.5 (3.0) Stars

A short and sweet holiday read. I want more by S.J. Himes!
Claudia
Jan 29, 2018 rated it liked it
this is a nice novella but I had some troubles with the time frame at the beginning ... everything was very fast.

but all in all a nice read
Jenny Wood
Apr 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
~***Spoilers***~ Read at your own risk... I will not change it!

I really enjoyed this story... and hot cover right?

Gael, a former army medic now EMT working with his good friend who is straight but the best friend a guy could have, he runs across Silas in an alley and feels something instantly for him. His attraction only grows the more he finds out about him, even though at first he thought he was much younger than he was.
Silas is on the run, running from his very powerful DA father whose been a
Heather
Apr 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this novella. It was a good length, not too short, not too long. I LOVED the characters of Silas and Gael. Silas was very sweet, and your heart just broke for the pain he's been through in his young life. Gael is a mountain of a man, who's been through his own hell, but who has this endless capacity for love and nurturing. When they meet, there's definitely insta-chemistry going on, even with the most horrible of circumstances around their meeting. I really loved how they saved ...more
Viki Evans
Oct 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this very much. Short and sweet xx
I Dream of Dragons and Unicorns
This was just okay for me :-/!! This ends on a mild "what happens next", not really a cliffhanger, but not really an HEA, because there's more to come, kinda note! So ... a sweet, mild, but tentative HFN with a dash of cliffhanger in the mix!
The thing is this ... not only was this 'just okay' for me :-/, regardless of anything I've already mentioned, this felt very unfinished, and rightly so!!

IF/WHEN we get the next book [and it WAS in fact confirmed there’d be a full length novel, by the way],
Diane Dannenfeldt
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have-audio, m-m
3.5 stars - One big issue I had is Silas was beaten & then shot but he is able to get himself out of the hospital & then has sex within a matter of days? Seriously? You really have to suspend your beliefs on that. The whole issue with his dad was never really fleshed out. He sends his guys at the end of the story to get Silas & Gael fights them all off and there is the show down at the police station all happens within a few minutes. I would have liked a little more angst there. But they were cu ...more
Janeylou
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 0000-sh-recs
« previous 1 3 next »

• Brandon's Very Merry Haunted Christmas (Mack's Marvelous Manifestations, #1)
  • Wolf and the Holly (The Rowan Harbor Cycle, #2)
  • After the Crash (Small Town Hearts, #1)
  • Wolf Lost (The Wolves of Kismet #1)
  • Poisonwood (Poisonwood & Lyric #1)
  • Salmon and the Hazel (The Rowan Harbor Cycle, #8)
  • Defender (The Lost Pack #1)
  • To Have It All
  • Stag and the Ash (The Rowan Harbor Cycle #5)
  • The One Decent Thing
  • Mack's Perfectly Ghastly Homecoming (Mack's Marvelous Manifestations, #2)
  • The Dichotomy of Angels
  • Blackbird in the Reeds (The Rowan Harbor Cycle, #1)
  • Eagle in the Hawthorn (The Rowan Harbor Cycle, #7)
  • How to Shield an Assassin (Unholy Trifecta #1)
  • Adder and Willow (The Rowan Harbor Cycle #6)
  • Devil's Hour (Zero Hour, #2)
  • Throwing Hearts
I am currently working on BHS#5, a BHS spinoff series, and the second book of the Realms of Love series.

If you have questions for me, and want an answer sooner rather than later, find me on Facebook or Twitter. Social media links on my website, along with a FAQs page for the most common questions I get asked.

Current writing cluster titles are available on my Works in Progress page at my website.

News & Interviews