Start by marking “Once Burned (Firehouse Fourteen, #1)” as Want to Read:
Once Burned (Firehouse Fourteen, #1)

Once Burned

(Firehouse Fourteen #1)

Published March 21st 2016 by BimHaven Press

To ask other readers questions about Once Burned, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once Burned

Start your review of Once Burned (Firehouse Fourteen, #1)
Mollien Fote Osterman
Blurb:

Coco.V
Oct 08, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
FREE on Amazon & on iBooks today (10/8/18)!

Blurb:
Michaela Donaldson had her whole life planned out: college, music, and a happy-ever-after with her first true love. One reckless night changed all that, setting Michaela on a new path. Gone are her dreams of pursuing music in college, replaced by what she thinks is a more rewarding life. She's a firefighter now, getting down and dirty while doing her job. So what if she's a little rough around the edges, a little too careless, a little too
Bec
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing

Michaela Davidson and Nick Lansing were the happiest of couples, until a reckless decision changed both their lives, and ended any chance they had at forever after. Or so they both thought, when a fire to Nick's residence brings Michaela back into his life. Except she's not ready to forgive nor forget how much Nick hurt her. At least not until they're forced to spend time together to work on a drunk-driving campaign to educate high school students.

What a riveting, fast-paced, highly emotional
Jen
Mar 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Read the full review on Bookaholics Not-So-Anonymous.

Note: This ARC was provided by Tasty Book Tours in exchange for an honest review.

This was a story filled with a lot of strong emotions, as it should because I honestly would have felt the same way Mike/Kaley did upon seeing Nick again. While it's clear that he's riddled with guilt over abandoning her and I understand his reasons behind it, what I don't get is why he never made any move to make amends within those ten years. In this day and
Alicia
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
****.5 "Once Burned" (Firehouse Fourteen, #1) by Lisa Kamps

Lisa Kamps uses the Jaws of Life from the very beginning of the novel and
opens it up so that it draws the reader in from the very beginning. She keeps filling it with so much oxygen and life, that the reader never wants to put the novel down.

The characters are so well written that the reader is living and breathing with them. They are relatable, flawed, strong, weak, accomplished, confused, and so much more. They are me, you, and all
Diane Lynch
Mar 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook
Once Burned (Firehouse Fourteen #1) by Lisa B. Kamps Lisa B. Kamps’ Once Burned is a heartfelt and emotional start to the Firehouse Fourteen series. Michaela (Mike) Donaldson and Nick Lansing were high school loves, an accident in high school tore them apart changing both their lives forever. Ten years later, Michaela is a firefighter and Nick is a school teacher, brought back together to develop an education program, but working together is not so easy.

Lisa B. Kamps does a great job with her
Brenda Hairston
Apr 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
True life,

Not my normal read but nice. A true romance filled with tragedy, growing up, forgiveness and happy ending. A good read.

Deb Diem
Apr 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Once Burned by Lisa B. Kamps is a contemporary romance. Ms. Kamps has provided readers with a well-written book. This is a very angsty read, so if you don't like a lot of angst in your books, this probably won't be your favorite book ever. If you do like angst, this book will be right up your alley.

Nick was a teenage alcoholic when he crashed his car with his girlfriend in it. Since that time he's cleaned up his act and is now a high school teacher. Mike (or Michaela) is Nick's ex that was
Karen Durant
Jan 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Michaela (Mike) & Nick were high school sweethearts until an accident in high school tore them apart changing both their lives. Now 10 years later, Mike's firefighter & Nick's a school teacher, brought back together for an education program. Easier said than done. Mike's reason for becoming a firefighter is to save life's like hers were saved. Nick never stopped loving Mike, but will she finally forgives him? Will they get their HEA? This was a really good book that shows what sometimes ...more
Stacey Timmons
May 23, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked this book. The story had potential but some parts just done my head in. Especially Mike (Kayla/Michaela), she was bitter and a bit of a hypocrite, with the drinking. Yeah, I do believe she had a problem, considering that's all she seemed to do or at least think about when things got tuff!! I understand what she went through was horrific and she did have justified anger but to hold onto it for 10 years, that was just bad on her part.

I like Nick. He has suffered with his guilt for 10 years
Ambrosia
Oct 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Started off kind of frustrating. Mike/Kayla has a lot of issues (legitimate and understandable, but annoying nonetheless). But the story picks up speed. The author did a nice job of showing how Nick had changed and why - without just telling us. In fact, the memories are realistic in the sense that they’re not clear, thorough and chronological. You have to piece the story together.
Unfortunately when I was finally enjoying the story, it ended. Just like that.

(Also, the author kept misusing the
Tiffany Hannick
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rita
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I liked how the book tried to deal with the issue of drunk driving and the long term impact it can have in your life. The author did a credible job for the main male character but I was disappointed that she glossed over the mental issues the main female character faced. More could have been done about why she drank so heavily and then more should have been done to explain how she was suddenly mentally fine about the whole situation.
Merry Jelks-Emmanuel
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
They had a bright future ahead of the until one reckless night ruined it all. Torn apart they go their separate ways one becomes a firefighter the other a teacher. It has been ten years and a fire of all things bring them back together. Is this fate and will Nick have a chance for redemption? This is a touching story that draws you in.
Kym
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Emotional second chance love story involving Michaela (aka Kayla/Mike/Mikey) and her first love, Nick. Without giving the story away, regardless of how one feels about the subject matter, a lot of this story surrounds forgiveness - by both parties. While sometimes bittersweet and, at times, hard to reconcile Michaela’s behavior, in the end this is a sweet story of forgiveness and redemption.
Bookish Addict
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is such a sweet (it does have fire) second chance story between Kayla and Nick. I'm glad they got their second chance to love each other again, the person each have become, and to forgive. It was a little dragged on with Kayla going on a self destructive path for 10 years since the accident and refusing to admit and submit to her emotions. Overall it was a great read with lessons to learn.
Mary
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this story

This first book in the Firehouse Fourteen series was amazing. I loved the way the history of the two main characters was carried throughout story. There were a few pieces of their history which I would have liked to know more of but it did not distract from the story. I can’t wait to read this next book in this series.
Teresa Derrick
Feb 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Something to think about.

Mikayla had been the victim of Nick's drunk driving. The book takes place at least ten years after the incident and is suppose to pick up on their lost love. Though I don't agree with the message behind her forgiveness the book is well written.
Renae
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Forgiveness

You really brought out your characters emotions perfectly. Forgiveness is first for you then others. Thank you so much for a beautifully written story with real believable characters.
Joanne T
Nov 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Good start to the series

This was a good book. Liked the story and characters, but left me with a feeling of it being incomplete. I wish there had been follow through on what exactly went on with her father. Otherwise, it was entertaining.
Kelly C Draper
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
A Great Love Story

The characters in the book overcoming past pain in their past to realize that love will always overcome grief of the past. I recommend this book to all of the romantic lovers in the world.
Paula
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful

A great read.
I highly recommend this story.
An emotional storyline. Two people struggle
With a devastating past can they forgive and move past
and heal together.
Beautiful story.
Jaime Moore
Once Burned

Once Burned was is emotional story about two people that knew each other in high school and were boyfriend and girlfriend. I want to say more but I don't want to give away anything else. All I'm going to say is that it's worth reading and sharing.
Sandhya
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
DNFed. Could not finish the book! Don't know, just did not like the main characters from beginning.
Kathleen Sullivan
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awesome reading

It was had great characters and in your face situations and really good ending. I couldn't put it down! If I had it in print it would go on my keeper shelf!
Michelle Jenkins
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Don’t expect to read it without tears.
John Clary
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good read

Like the book but could of gave a little more detail of there past
Would like the ending to go more into how thing true out for them
Kendra /Books Complete Me
Liked it

This was an enjoyable story - although the grammar typos were numerous. I want to know more about Jay and his life
Mary Meullion
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great Storyline

I loved this book because it was so inspiring and emotional. It was so emotional that I found myself in tears.
Tree Schwartz
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Strong characters I came to care about very much; great story; awesome love story! Forgiveness ... ...more

• Stitched Up Heart (Combat Hearts, #1)
  • Lie to Me
  • Whiskey River Rescue (Whiskey River, #1)
  • Talon (Uncompromising, #1)
  • Breathe for Me (Be for Me, #1)
  • A Match Made at Christmas (Christmas in New York, #4)
  • Roots and Wings (City Limits, #1)
  • Southern Pleasure (Southern Heart, #1)
  • The Billionaire Bargain: Series Collection
  • The House of Morgan: Books 1 - 3
  • See You Again (Wishful, #8)
  • Rich Boss (New York Billionaires #1)
  • Razor (K19 Security Solutions #1)
  • Bedding The Best Man (Bedding the Bachelors #7)
  • Playing with Fire (Texas Firefighters #1)
  • The Dangerous Thief (Stolen Hearts #3)
  • Colton  (Wild Men, #2)
  • Baited Truth
Lisa B. Kamps is a USA Today Bestselling Author who writes steamy romance with real-life characters and relatable stories that evoke deep emotion. She likes her men hard, her bed soft, her coffee strong, her whiskey neat, and her wine chilled...and when it comes to sports, hockey is the only thing that matters!

Lisa currently lives in Maryland with her husband and two sons (who are mostly

Firehouse Fourteen (5 books)
  • Playing With Fire (Firehouse Fourteen, #2)
  • Breaking Protocol (Firehouse Fourteen, #3)
  • Into The Flames (Firehouse Fourteen #4)
  • Second Alarm (Firehouse Fourteen Book 5)