Start by marking “The Seventh Gate (The Death Gate Cycle, #7)” as Want to Read:
The Seventh Gate (The Death Gate Cycle, #7)

The Seventh Gate

(The Death Gate Cycle #7)

The Seventh Gate is the thrilling conclusion to the New York Times bestselling Death Gate Cycle by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. In this tale of treachery, power, and heroism, Alfred, Haplo, and Marit embark on a journey of death and discovery as they seek to enter the dreaded Seventh Gate. Encountering enemies both old and new, they unleash a magic no power can ...more
Published December 1st 1995 by Spectra (first published August 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Seventh Gate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Seventh Gate

Start your review of The Seventh Gate (The Death Gate Cycle, #7)
Emiley
Jun 07, 2007 rated it did not like it
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
I suddenly realized that all the books I had reviewed were ones that I had enjoyed. So, for a change of pace, I decided to include some that I thought were in need of serious editing. Seventh Gate immediately popped into my mind because I can still feel the crushing disappointment--and it's been ten years. I had faithfully read all the other books in the Death Gate Cycle, and tolerated the fluctuations in quality--ranging from the mesmerizingly melancholic meditation that was Fire Sea to the ...more
Matthew
Mar 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
You know, whenever I'm lucky enough to find a reasonably literate person who has read some fantasy novels, I'm always surprised by the fact that - as far as I can recall - none of them have read The Death Gate Cycle. Granted, I had some holdover nostalgia from the Dragonlance Chronicles for Weis and Hickman, and so I probably had more cause to read them than most, but, even solely on their own merits, these are really excellent books. They're filled with interesting and nuanced characters - Hugh ...more
[Name Redacted]
This is a sci-fi series masquerading as a fantasy series, a post-post-post-apocalyptic masquerading as an epic. This is a series which introduced my brother and me, as boys, to the core concepts of quantum mechanics and the uncertainty principle. This is a series which meditates on the power hate can grant us, on the power fear holds over us, and on the terrible sacrifices things like love and faith and hope and trust demand. This is also a series about the value of a friendly dog.

This is the
Anna
Jun 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This epic tale shows you the strengths and weakness of men and women alike, whose lives are interwoven so beautifully and inescapably, that it should bring us to deeper thought. We might not live on four separate worlds, that need each other to survive; we only have one, which we all need to survive. There is much to learn. The loyalty and will to fight (back) of the Patryns. The survivability and inability to lie of the Sartans. The way in which all lifeforms are linked together through the ...more
Boukje
Sep 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I think what I like most about this series is that almost no one is inherently evil, they are just scared and/or misguided. No one is a saint either, they all have their faults, but they almost all learn as well. Sometimes a bit late, but never really too late, even if they did some horrific stuff. The character development is outstanding! And although the relationships are all heteronormative, at least the serie has quite some strong women as well.

The main character basically starts as some
Anastasia
Jan 20, 2019 rated it liked it
I am sad to finish the series. There is a nice wrap up in the appendix that makes that part a must read.

It may be time to re-read some other favourites by these two authors.
Traek
Jul 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Amazed at the lessons to be learned from this book. It started out as an interesting Fantasy title that quickly turned "Science Fantasy" and evolved into a look into the human condition that was so well-planned and carefully executed to help you learn something while being entertained!
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Awesome series!
colleen the convivial curmudgeon
The finale of the Death Gate cycle, and, ultimately, I'd say it probably went the way I was generally expecting it to go. Which isn't a bad thing, per se.

I did find parts of it a bit weird that were like, "And here's a 5 page reminder of what's happening on other worlds, as addressed in prior books" - but I probably would've found it more useful if I were reading these books years apart, instead of just a month at a time.

Anyway - as with most of the books in the series, I found it to start
Jackie
Feb 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
From the series review here.

A terribly disappointing end to what started out as an awesome series. Almost no story arcs had a true resolution, random stuff that doesnt make sense showing up from left field, and an epilogue thats some dumbed down version of the storys original premise. Hint: If, when youre done writing a saga, you need to simplify what you were trying to say the whole time in the epilogue of a seven book series you fail. Your readers are not idiots. If you wanted to preach to
Josh
Mar 29, 2014 rated it liked it
The Death Gate Cycle finally comes to it's (somewhat satisfactory) conclusion in this final, seventh volume, in which finally all of the long-held secrets are revealed.

After this much build-up over a seven-book storyline, perhaps it's understandable that expectations can't be completely met. Personally, I think that the series could have wrapped in six books, and I think they purposefully wanted seven in order to match the number of gates. Even this, the shortest of the bunch, felt overly
Heidi
Dec 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
The last and shortest of the Death Gate books wraps everything up nicely--or as nicely as can be expected. Haplo and Alfred, now working as a team, have some big decisions to make about what will happen to their people. Poor Marit is relegated to the typical woman role, spending most of her time having internal debates about how to balance vulnerability and capability. (She even bursts into tears at one point. Sigh.) Zifnab makes a few appearances, to my great delight.

I loved this
A. Dawes
Apr 20, 2016 rated it did not like it
How do you sew up an epic series of largely individual novels set on a variety of fantastic worlds? Well Weis and Hickman's solution is with a slap-dash effort tying up the few sporadic threads. This final novel is an immense failure, and if you view the series as a hole, really discredits the previous works.

I really enjoyed the previous six. The first few I thought were especially strong. The world building was great, as was the characterisation and they really had me gripped.

This final novel
David
Oct 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful end to a wonderful series of 7 books that is the Death Gate cycle. A portrayal of how destructive racism and prejudice can be and how tragic the consequences can become. This saga should not be missed by anyone who is an avid reader of fantasy.
Kaotic
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: borrowed
It took me a while to read all of the books in this series, but it will always remain one of my favorites. It's such a powerful series in so many ways. <3
Stephanie Carr
Dec 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely conclusion

Love it love it love it. Beautiful ending. I love the stuff with the higher power mainly because its still a mystery by the end.

More than that, though, Zifnab is exactly in line with my type of comedy and I love whenever he shows up on screen even if all the other characters groan.

The way (most) everything in the plot closes up is exactly what I needed if not what I expected. I love it when books manage to do this.

I love how for so many of the books I was focused on Haplo and
Katinki
Jan 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Copied from Dragon Wing. Review is for entire series.

Re-read

The Deathgate Cycle is one of my favorite series ever. Everything about it - all 7 books - are just... high fantasy perfection.

- The world (or rather universe) is amazingly unique, stunning in set up and description, and terrifically told.
- The magic and its use is top notch. It's one of few series that really go into HOW the magic of the world works.
- The characters are all highly memorable, including "Dog", the secondaries, the
Lana
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
wow what a great series this death gate series turned out to be!! love the way the seventh gate was excessed, hate and fear and insecurity never did work in the end not even in our own day to day lives!! but working together works wonders!! do not want to put spoilers in but the fact that in the end zifnab describes how all of us have the potential to be gods is for me the cherry on the cake!! zifnab and his dragon and Alfred and himself as the golden dragon and haplo, and hugh the hand all ...more
Ross Alon
May 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
This is a climax and a conclusion. The book gather points from all previous books and combine them into one glorious climax.
This is not a perfect book or series, it's not complex and quite straight forward , unlike modern fantasy books. It's far better then modern YA series, and with all it's simplicity it's complex enough to stand it's own against modern fantasy books and it has more heart than some of them combined.

Lauren Beck
I could write an entire article about how much I loved this series, but I won't. I'll just throw out there that this was a riveting conclusion. Be sure to read at least the last two pages of Appendix 1 because I didn't get the epilogue I needed until then. It probably would have made more sense to include that in the actual epilogue, but at least it was in there somewhere.
Memmis
Apr 24, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
(A GAZILLION STARS FOR THE SERIES AS A WHOLE.)
Ais
Arminion
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
So the saga is finally over and even though I enjoyed much of the previous books, this one felt a little flat for me. First of all, there is too much going on and not in a good way. It's just too convoluted. The people die then they are revived again. Some characters disappear for no good reason and then they appear again. Deus ex machina moments happen all the time. It's just... too much, as if the authors didn't know how to properly end this.
Some character learned nothing in all these books,
Joshua
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A good end to a fun and creative series. (Zifnab is a fun meta character, but I feel like it takes away from the wholeness of the narrative on its own.) Haplo has a lot of real character growth throughout the series from jaded loner warrior/spy to conscientiously conflicted hero. Alfred's growth is less impressive, but still good. I'm still disappointed that finally seeing the Labyrinth it isn't as mind-bendingly disorienting and terrifying, though I still don't really understand the geography ...more
Jon
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This series has brought me to the brink of many emotions. Sadness, empathy, excitement.. I've been on the edge of my toes for most of it in an attempt to figure out where and how it was going to end. This book carried no different wave of appetizing writing.

Where do you end a series that has had so much involved in it? That was a question I continued to ask myself while reading through the book like an addict. Finally it happened, I can say I am happy with the way it ended to a certain extent.
Mike
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this series, but I'm afraid I found the conclusion to be a bit lacking. More philosophy than substance. Still, overall the series was incredible in its breadth. All of the worlds and characters, which made each novel unique, drawn together into an impressively ambitious and cohesive whole. The character of Haplo (and generally the Patryn and Sartan) (view spoiler) ...more
MMF
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The series culminates with everything that is good, as well as everything that is bad about Death's Gate. I can sum it up in the same way as the series as a whole: rough, clumsy and stupid in parts, but with a lot of creativity, some very good characters with very good arcs, and surprisingly lofty ambitions for a pulp-y fantasy series. After being really disappointed by Book 6, I was worried about rereading this one but now that I have, my opinion of the series as a whole stands. I have a lot ...more
Nicole Mosley
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
A semi-satisfying ending to a series I thoroughly enjoyed. This series has its ups and downs in quality but the overarching plot, worldbuilding, and magic structure is superb. In this final installment, Haplo and Alfred work together to save the four realms from the ambitions and fears of their prospective leaders, and the insidious evil that lurks in the worlds. I wish there had been a bit more time and closure spent on the relations between patryns and sartan at the end of the novel, and a bit ...more
James
Apr 29, 2019 rated it liked it
I expected to get to the end of the series and have pleasant things to say of this climactic installment, but to be honest, I'm just glad it's over. Haplo and Alfred's relationship aside, this last volume is too vaguely intangible and 'magic' to really resonate. Xar is a pantomime villain of the worst kind, and indeed so many of the characters (bar the central too, and Hugh) are thinly written the whole thing's a bit flat. And the final scene with Ramu's comeuppance described as the remaining ...more
astaliegurec
Mar 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In all probability, people who read the first of the Death Gate Cycle books and like it, are going to want to read all of the books in the series (regardless of any flucutation in the individual books' ratings). Ditto for the reverse: if people don't like the first book, then they're probably not going to want to read any of the other books in the series. Thus, instead of individual book ratings, I've rated the whole series and given a short blurb on any specifics for each book.

Overall, this is
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Castle of Wizardry (The Belgariad, #4)
  • Rage of a Demon King (The Serpentwar Saga, #3)
  • A Darkness At Sethanon (The Riftwar Saga, #4)
  • Crown of Shadows (The Coldfire Trilogy, #3)
  • The White Order (The Saga of Recluce, #8)
  • The Death Gate Cycle Novels: The Death Gate Cycle, Into the Labyrinth, the Hand of Chaos, Dragon Wing, Serpent Mage, the Seventh Gate, Fire Sea
  • Darkness and Light (Dragonlance: Preludes, #1)
  • King of the Murgos (The Malloreon, #2)
  • Stormblade (Dragonlance: Heroes, #2)
  • Galen Beknighted (Dragonlance: Heroes, #6, Heroes II, #3)
  • Weasel's Luck (Dragonlance: Heroes, #3)
  • The Gates of Thorbardin (Dragonlance: Heroes, #5) (Heroes II, #2)
  • Exile (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #2; Legend of Drizzt, #2)
  • Magician: Master (The Riftwar Saga, #2)
  • When True Night Falls (The Coldfire Trilogy, #2)
  • Redemption (Dragonlance: Dhamon Saga, #3)
  • Betrayal (Dragonlance: Dhamon Saga, #2)
  • Conan (Book 1)
Fantasy novelist who, along with Tracy Hickman, was one of the original creators of the Dragonlance game world. I've written numerous novels and short stories set in the world of Krynn, as well as series in other, original worlds. These include: Darksword, Rose of the Prophet, Star of the Guardians, DeathGate, Dragonvarld, Sovereign Stone, Dragonships, and the Dragon Brigade. I also wrote two ...more

The Death Gate Cycle (7 books)
  • Dragon Wing (The Death Gate Cycle, #1)
  • Elven Star (The Death Gate Cycle, #2)
  • Fire Sea (The Death Gate Cycle, #3)
  • Serpent Mage (The Death Gate Cycle, #4)
  • The Hand of Chaos (The Death Gate Cycle, #5)
  • Into the Labyrinth (The Death Gate Cycle, #6)

News & Interviews

“We each have within ourselves the ability to shape our own destinies. That much we understand. But, more important, each of us has an equal ability to shape the destiny of the universe. Ah, that you find more difficult to believe. But I tell you it is so. You do not have to be the leader of the Council. You do not have to be king or monarch or the head of a clan to have a significant impact on the world around you.
In the vastness of the ocean, is any drop of water greater than another?
No, you answer, and neither has a single drop the ability to cause a tidal wave.
But, I argue, if a single drop falls into the ocean, it creates ripples. And these ripples spread. And perhaps - who knows - these ripples may grow and swell and eventually break foaming upon the shore.
Like a drop in the vast ocean, each of us causes ripples as we move through our lives. The effects of whatever we do - insignificant as it may seem - spread out beyond us. We may never know what far-reaching impact even the simplest action might have on our fellow mortals. Thus we need to be conscious, all of the time, of our place in the ocean, of our place in the world, of our place among our fellow creatures.
For if enough of us join forces, we can swell the tide of events - for good or for evil.”
31 likes