Start by marking “We Found A Hat” as Want to Read:
We Found A Hat

We Found A Hat

(Hat Trilogy #3)

Hold on to your hats for the conclusion of the celebrated hat trilogy by Caldecott Medalist Jon Klassen, who gives his deadpan finale a surprising new twist.

Two turtles have found a hat. The hat looks good on both of them. But there are two turtles. And there is only one hat. . . . Evoking hilarity and sympathy, the shifting eyes tell the tale in this brilliantly paced
Published October 11th 2016 by Candlewick

To ask other readers questions about We Found A Hat, please sign up.
Dawn They don't have to, but they are better if they are read in order.
Erin Yes, it is the third picture book in Klassen's hat series.

Start your review of We Found A Hat
Danielle
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Genius in style and in substance (and in shifty eyes). A million stars.
Anna Smithberger
Such a sweet ending to this trilogy of sorts, but with significantly less murder than I was expecting.
Joshua Whiting
I think I need to read this book every night for the rest of my life, and eventually perhaps the mysteries of the universe and the human condition will be revealed to me. I'll start by reading it to my kids tonight and seeing what they say.
David Schaafsma
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Each year I and my family read and rate all the Goodreads picture book nominees. This one is nominated for 2016. I make a few comments and then add their separate ratings and a comment from each of them. There's 20 (15 first round and 5 new ones for the semi-final round) and this is the fifteenth being rated. My rating might be somewhat influenced by the family, naturally. This one is unique in that it is the only one of the 20 I had read well in advance of the award process. And so I will honor ...more
Hilary
2.5 stars. Good artwork, really cute turtles, lovely colours. We found the text quite boring.

Library copy
Yen-Tzu
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a children’s picture book about two turtles who come across a hat. They both look good in the hat, but the complex maths involved in dividing one hat between two turtles creates a resource scarcity dilemma that could end in betrayal.

This tale serves as a beautiful and stark illustration of every human confrontation ever, from family squabble to global war, since the dawn of mankind.
Mischenko
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
We read "We Found a Hat" in 2016 and I was amazed at how much children loved his turtle illustrations. They're so simple and can be recreated on paper by very young children.

We love Jon Klassen's illustrations and stories. I love to see children inspired by books like these. They're unique, simple, and wonderful.

5*****
Calista
I must say, I was expecting this beginning story to take place underwater with fish like the first story. This takes place in a desert with two cute turtles. There is one hat and two turtles.

Would you sneak away and wear a hat that your friend really likes too? That is the question here.

The nephew was not moved by this story. He didn't care one way or the other. He thought the turtles were cute and all, but he didn't care about the hat. He was like, it's not a robot or Harry Potter, who cares.
Beth
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
I will refrain from writing a review so as not to spoil anything. It's not like I need to convince you to read it anyway, right? :)
Becky
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
First sentence: We found a hat. We found it together. But there is only one hat. And there are two of us.

Premise/plot: Jon Klassen is very, very, very, very, very popular. But he has a very, very, very, very, very odd sense of humor. This is the third 'hat' book. (Three picture books with 'hat' in the title. But different characters, different hats, as far as I can recall.) This picture book is about what happens when two very good friends want the same hat.

My thoughts: Well, I'll be honest. I
Erica
I have an unreasonable amount of love for this simple story.

It started on the first two pages.

And I loved it all the way through to the end.

Also, this is the mascot of my mind, representing the bulk of my feelings: side-eyes and plotting.

Elizabeth Willis
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Absolute perfection. In this book you'll find: a hat, cacti, friendship, side-eye, dreaming, turtles in space.
Jessica
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, own
Shockingly sweet . . . I fully expected the turtles to turn murderous, but it went in a very different direction! A lovely ending to Klassen's "hat" trilogy!
Ronyell
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Jon Klassen's Hat Series!
Hat

I have to say that this was the year that Jon Klassen’s “Hat” series has really amazed me and I was lucky enough to read all of Jon Klassen’s “Hat” books all at once! Jon Klassen’s newest “Hat” book “We Found a Hat” is actually an interesting departure from the usual antics of the “Hat” series that made me chuckle along the way!

The story starts off with two turtles finding a hat and when they both tried the hat on, the both looked good in it. Unfortunately, there is only one hat and only one of
Michele Knott
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
There is something so special about reading a book for the first time. One that has high expectations, that you've waiting for for awhile. That first reading experience is one you can never have, in that way, ever again, with that book.
Because of that, I'm not going to write a review for this book. Enjoy your own first experience with the final book in this trilogy.
Adrienne Pettinelli
"We both have hats?" Yes, yes, yes.
David Bjelland
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Way too many sad, poignant adult truths in here to be appropriate for children.

Getting it for my friend's baby shower anyway.
Allison
I will read about hats forever as long as they are all written and illustrated by Jon Klassen. Perfect
Kelli
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This simple children's picture book is beyond brilliant. The moral of the story, presumably the last book of the three hat books, is epic. Everyone could benefit from a quick perusal.
Kate
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the third in a series of fun and witty children’s picture books about creatures looking for their hats. There are two turtles and only one hat. Both turtles look good in this hat, and the reader can tell that both turtles want to have the hat for themselves. The ending is quite sweet.
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more Picture book reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

"Two turtles have found a hat. The hat looks good on both of them. But there are two turtles. And there is only one hat..."

Okay so my nephew and I didn't know this was the last book in the hat trilogy told by Jon Klassen... But you know you didn't need to read them in any order. We QUITE enjoyed this book. My nephew LOVED how the book ended with them walking into the sky. He comprehended what happened through the book, not
Alex Sarll
Lizzie
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Tremendously witty. Simple and repetitive in language and image, yet absolutely riddled with complex feelings to discuss such as guilt, jealousy, honesty and dishonesty. The book is split in to three sections, which could provide three very different sessions when working with children. They act as natural resting points or discussion points. A good book for highlighting friendship and being kind to others, as well as knowing the self.
Melki
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidstuff
Two turtles covet a found hat. How can they share it? (Can't they just take turns wearing it?)

Anyway - cute story with an Awww! ending.

(Psst - no one gets eaten in this one.)
ElizaLu
Dec 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, read-in-2016
Yes, I AM counting this delightful picture book towards my reading challenge. Professional development. Just try and stop me.
Mathew
It actually took me a little while to get into Klassen until I realised that he was being far cleverer than I was giving him credit for. I wouldn't be surprised if he is another writer who says he's not writing with children in mind.
Without giving anything away, let us instead celebrate Klassen's form. Set in the desert, among the stars and thorny cacti, the structure of the book follows that of those early black and white films, split into several parts ( which I just loved). The positioning of
Peter
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookshop-fun
We found a book my daughter and I.
The pictures are nice we smiled not cried.
There was only one but decided to share.
I read some to her she read some to me.
We left with some books and smiled with glee.
Heather
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Charming and poignant. Deceptively complex ideas run under the surface of this wonderfully illustrated story about two turtles who find one hat.
Angie
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture
I turtles.
I cowboy hats.
Also apparently I Jon Klassen.

That is all.
Jacob
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, childrens
I LOVE THIS!!!!!!!! So adorable. Again I'm left in tears by Jon Klassen's work.

• Sam and Dave Dig a Hole
  • House Held Up by Trees
  • A Child of Books
  • Dragons Love Tacos
  • The Evil Princess vs. the Brave Knight
  • The Good Egg (The Bad Seed, #2)
  • Have I Got a Book for You!
  • Du Iz Tak?
  • The Day the Crayons Quit
  • This Moose Belongs to Me
Jon Klassen received the 2010 Canadian Governor General’s Award for his illustrations in Caroline Stutson’s CAT'S NIGHT OUT. He also created illustrations for the popular series THE INCORRIGIBLE CHILDREN OF ASHTON PLACE and served as an illustrator on the animated feature film Coraline. I WANT MY HAT BACK is the first book he has both written and illustrated. Originally from Niagara Falls, Canada, ...more

Hat Trilogy (3 books)