Start by marking “We Found A Hat” as Want to Read:
We Found A Hat

We Found A Hat

(Hat Trilogy #3)

Hold on to your hats for the conclusion of the celebrated hat trilogy by Caldecott Medalist Jon Klassen, who gives his deadpan finale a surprising new twist.

Two turtles have found a hat. The hat looks good on both of them. But there are two turtles. And there is only one hat. . . . Evoking hilarity and sympathy, the shifting eyes tell the tale in this brilliantly paced sto
Published October 11th 2016 by Candlewick

To ask other readers questions about We Found A Hat, please sign up.
Dawn They don't have to, but they are better if they are read in order.
Erin Yes, it is the third picture book in Klassen's hat series.

Danielle
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Genius in style and in substance (and in shifty eyes). A million stars.
Joshua Whiting
I think I need to read this book every night for the rest of my life, and eventually perhaps the mysteries of the universe and the human condition will be revealed to me. I'll start by reading it to my kids tonight and seeing what they say.
Anna Smithberger
Such a sweet ending to this trilogy of sorts, but with significantly less murder than I was expecting.
David Schaafsma
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Each year I and my family read and rate all the Goodreads picture book nominees. This one is nominated for 2016. I make a few comments and then add their separate ratings and a comment from each of them. There's 20 (15 first round and 5 new ones for the semi-final round) and this is the fifteenth being rated. My rating might be somewhat influenced by the family, naturally. This one is unique in that it is the only one of the 20 I had read well in advance of the award process. And so I will honor ...more
Mischenko
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
We read "We Found a Hat" in 2016 and I was amazed at how much children loved his turtle illustrations. They're so simple and can be recreated on paper by very young children.

We love Jon Klassen's illustrations and stories. I love to see children inspired by books like these. They're unique, simple, and wonderful.

5*****
Estée Lalonde
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
Cute af.
Hilary
2.5 stars. Good artwork, really cute turtles, lovely colours. We found the text quite boring.

Library copy
Yen-Tzu
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a children’s picture book about two turtles who come across a hat. They both look good in the hat, but the complex maths involved in dividing one hat between two turtles creates a resource scarcity dilemma that could end in betrayal.

This tale serves as a beautiful and stark illustration of every human confrontation ever, from family squabble to global war, since the dawn of mankind.
Beth
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
I will refrain from writing a review so as not to spoil anything. It's not like I need to convince you to read it anyway, right? :)
Erica
I have an unreasonable amount of love for this simple story.

It started on the first two pages.

And I loved it all the way through to the end.

Also, this is the mascot of my mind, representing the bulk of my feelings: side-eyes and plotting.

Becky
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
First sentence: We found a hat. We found it together. But there is only one hat. And there are two of us.

Premise/plot: Jon Klassen is very, very, very, very, very popular. But he has a very, very, very, very, very odd sense of humor. This is the third 'hat' book. (Three picture books with 'hat' in the title. But different characters, different hats, as far as I can recall.) This picture book is about what happens when two very good friends want the same hat.

My thoughts: Well, I'll be honest. I
Elizabeth Willis
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Absolute perfection. In this book you'll find: a hat, cacti, friendship, side-eye, dreaming, turtles in space.
Jessica
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, picture-books
Shockingly sweet . . . I fully expected the turtles to turn murderous, but it went in a very different direction! A lovely ending to Klassen's "hat" trilogy!
Ronyell
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Jon Klassen's Hat Series!
Hat

I have to say that this was the year that Jon Klassen’s “Hat” series has really amazed me and I was lucky enough to read all of Jon Klassen’s “Hat” books all at once! Jon Klassen’s newest “Hat” book “We Found a Hat” is actually an interesting departure from the usual antics of the “Hat” series that made me chuckle along the way!

The story starts off with two turtles finding a hat and when they both tried the hat on, the both looked good in it. Unfortunately, there is only one hat and only one of
Michele Knott
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
There is something so special about reading a book for the first time. One that has high expectations, that you've waiting for for awhile. That first reading experience is one you can never have, in that way, ever again, with that book.
Because of that, I'm not going to write a review for this book. Enjoy your own first experience with the final book in this trilogy.
Rana Heshmati
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
نقاشیهای سادهای که عمق احساسات رو نشون میدن.
نمیدونم چی بهش میگن.. با مرامی، با معرفتی، یا دوستی بی چشم داشت...
و خواب و ستاره ها!
Kelli
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This simple children's picture book is beyond brilliant. The moral of the story, presumably the last book of the three hat books, is epic. Everyone could benefit from a quick perusal.
Allison
I will read about hats forever as long as they are all written and illustrated by Jon Klassen. Perfect
Adrienne Pettinelli
"We both have hats?" Yes, yes, yes.
David Bjelland
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Way too many sad, poignant adult truths in here to be appropriate for children.

Getting it for my friend's baby shower anyway.
Dani - Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more Picture book reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

"Two turtles have found a hat. The hat looks good on both of them. But there are two turtles. And there is only one hat..."

Okay so my nephew and I didn't know this was the last book in the hat trilogy told by Jon Klassen... But you know you didn't need to read them in any order. We QUITE enjoyed this book. My nephew LOVED how the book ended with them walking into the sky. He comprehended what happened through the book, not something
Alex Sarll
Lizzie
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Tremendously witty. Simple and repetitive in language and image, yet absolutely riddled with complex feelings to discuss such as guilt, jealousy, honesty and dishonesty. The book is split in to three sections, which could provide three very different sessions when working with children. They act as natural resting points or discussion points. A good book for highlighting friendship and being kind to others, as well as knowing the self.
Melki
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidstuff
Two turtles covet a found hat. How can they share it? (Can't they just take turns wearing it?)

Anyway - cute story with an Awww! ending.

(Psst - no one gets eaten in this one.)
ElizaLu
Dec 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, read-in-2016
Yes, I AM counting this delightful picture book towards my reading challenge. Professional development. Just try and stop me.
Mathew
It actually took me a little while to get into Klassen until I realised that he was being far cleverer than I was giving him credit for. I wouldn't be surprised if he is another writer who says he's not writing with children in mind.
Without giving anything away, let us instead celebrate Klassen's form. Set in the desert, among the stars and thorny cacti, the structure of the book follows that of those early black and white films, split into several parts ( which I just loved). The positioning of
Jen
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was SO SWEET. I almost teared up at the end. Simple words, not to many for a beginner and the artwork was simple and direct. The story was simple, but full of meaning. 5, completely recommend, stars!
Peter
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookshop-fun
We found a book my daughter and I.
The pictures are nice we smiled not cried.
There was only one but decided to share.
I read some to her she read some to me.
We left with some books and smiled with glee.
Irena Freitas
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jon Klassen precisa ir ao um psicólogo pra descobrir porque todos os seus livros são sobre ganância.
Heather
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Charming and poignant. Deceptively complex ideas run under the surface of this wonderfully illustrated story about two turtles who find one hat.
Jacob
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, childrens
I LOVE THIS!!!!!!!! So adorable. Again I'm left in tears by Jon Klassen's work.
Angie
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture
I ❤ turtles.
I ❤ cowboy hats.
Also apparently I ❤ Jon Klassen.

That is all.
Mike
Jan 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: completed-series
Another thoughtful picture-book from the quill and graphite of Mr. Klassen.
I'm not sure what to make of the moral of the story, however. Although Morally Ambiguous Covetous Left Turtle gets schooled by his partner in restraint and self-respect, Ethically Unreliable Abstemious Right Turtle gives his lesson through conscious deceit.
Maybe there is a reference to one of the great allegories here? Can a friend, wiser than I, tell me if this is an old lesson in a modern wrapper? Or maybe my midcentury
Chance Lee
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
About four years ago, I loved "I Want My Hat Back," a book in which a big bear beats the stuffing out of a little rabbit to get his hat back. It was a great book, darkly funny and amusing.

Expecting the same from "We Found a Hat," I was caught off guard. This book starts off sly and funny, as two turtles find one hat that they both look equally ah-mazing in. But the story evolves into a touching tale about finding what is truly important in life and going with it. The final page is so beautiful,
Stephanielaurenwilling
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I LOVED THIS SO MUCH. Jon Klassen brings his signature humor and illustrative rumination on the darkness lurking in all of our souls, but it has a surprising (for him) sweet ending. I gave this to my husband for his birthday because he loves the other hat books, and this kind of humor is right up his alley. Also, the Strand has matching Klassen gift bags, so get in there.

Also. Y'ALL. What if the "hat" is really EQUALITY and FREEDOM, and until we are all free, none of us wear the hat????
Johan Thilander
Sista delen i Jon Klassens hatt-trilogi.
Ett av mina första minnen av solidaritet är när jag var kanske 10 år gammal och jag och Nils Johansson cyklade till stranden (vilket var någon mil att cykla). Jag ramlade och rev upp hela min tröja så att den inte gick att ha på sig längre. Vi fortsatte cykla och efter ett tag drog Nils av sig sin tröja och slängde iväg den.
Denna bok påminner mig om det minnet, litegrann.
Joanne Zienty
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-fiction
My favorite of Klassen's "Hat Trilogy." Two turtles find a hat. They both look good in the hat, but there's only one, so they leave it where they found it and move along. Slowly, of course. Nefarious thoughts ensue, of course... but will they act on them? You'll enjoy reading this one aloud and having your kiddos interpret and infer what's going on behind those turtles' (not blue, but exceedingly expressive) eyes.
Agnė
Jon Klassen is a master of deceptive simplicity and shifty eyes that are worth a thousand words:

Anna
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Awwwww, Jon. You sweet devil.

Such a lovely conclusion to an amazing trilogy. You did it again! But in a different way (surprise! surprise!)

Click HERE and watch a read aloud.
#sneakyturtlefriend
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Klassen: *mid drop*
Haines Eason
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this title more than This is Not My Hat, perhaps because of the ending... And the turtles' eyes--wow Klaussen can capture an extraordinary range of emotion with so little a change (a faint squint for deliberation, a dilation of the pupil for sleepiness...). I have not encountered an author in a good while who captures feeling, relationships and hard choices as simply and elegantly.
Jim
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We Found a Hat is cute and awesome and fun! It reminded me of I Want My Hat Back . This one may not have been quite as hilarious, but it had a lot of heart. At least I thought so.
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Estaba en la librería con mi hermana y lo encontramos de casualidad. Se me olvidó añadirlo a mis libros de 2016 porque solo necesitamos un par de minutos para empezarlo y terminarlo, pero instantáneamente se ganó un pequeño sitio en nuestro corazón.

• The Wolf, the Duck, and the Mouse
  • Du Iz Tak?
  • Nanette's Baguette
  • The Uncorker of Ocean Bottles
  • Flora and the Peacocks
  • Hoot Owl, Master of Disguise
  • Leave Me Alone!
  • A Hungry Lion, or A Dwindling Assortment of Animals
  • Star Wars: Are You Scared, Darth Vader?
  • Wolf in the Snow
  • Thunder Boy Jr.
  • King Baby
  • Give Me Back My Book!
  • Horrible Bear!
  • Life on Mars
  • Shy
  • Ballet Cat The Totally Secret Secret (Ballet Cat, #1)
  • Toys Meet Snow: Being the Wintertime Adventures of a Curious Stuffed Buffalo, a Sensitive Plush Stingray, and a Book-loving Rubber Ball
Jon Klassen received the 2010 Canadian Governor General’s Award for his illustrations in Caroline Stutson’s CAT'S NIGHT OUT. He also created illustrations for the popular series THE INCORRIGIBLE CHILDREN OF ASHTON PLACE and served as an illustrator on the animated feature film Coraline. I WANT MY HAT BACK is the first book he has both written and illustrated. Originally from Niagara Falls, Canada, ...more

Hat Trilogy (3 books)