Start by marking “Once Taken (Riley Paige Mystery #2)” as Want to Read:
Once Taken (Riley Paige Mystery #2)

Once Taken

(Riley Paige Mystery #2)

Once Taken is book #2 in the bestselling Riley Paige mystery series, which begins with Once Gone.

Women are being murdered in upstate New York, their bodies found mysteriously hanging in chains. With the FBI called in, given the bizarre nature of the murders—and the lack of any clues—there is only one agent they can turn to: Special Agent Riley Paige.

Riley, reeling from her
Published February 14th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Once Taken, please sign up.
Denise Helton It only has implied sex it doesn't go into anything like positions, size, actual movements or anything of that sort. Most things are not overly…moreIt only has implied sex it doesn't go into anything like positions, size, actual movements or anything of that sort. Most things are not overly graphic in description in my opinion. It also doesn't dig very deeply into any forensics details, IMHO. It's a decent read but not an overly good read and not very technical, more just entertainment.(less)

Fanny
Jun 03, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

El primer libro de esta saga no me impresiono en absoluto e incluso no planeaba continuar con la serie pero hace unos dias volvi a recordar el final de Una Vez Desaparecido ( que fue un poco intrigante ) y decidi darle una segunda oportunidad.

Despues de leer varias reseñas y ver muchas calificaciones supe que esta continuacion no seria mucho mejor que el primer libro y segun fui avanzando con la lectura fue gustandome cada vez menos.

Estas novelas no son excesivamente largas pero las tramas son t
Linda Strong
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
After having read the prequel and then book 1 of this series, I was so hoping I would not be disappointed .... and I wasn't. This is just as well written as the first with the same solid characters. FBI Agent Lucy Vargas is introduced as a new partner for Paige while her old partner has taken a step back.

Paige is called to investigate the death of several women in New York. They have been found hanging in areas wrapped in chains and their throats cut. This is a serial killer that is different in
Obsidian
May 20, 2016 rated it did not like it
Please note that I gave this book half a star, but Goodreads only allows full star ratings. Therefore, I rated this one star on Goodreads.

I honestly have no idea why I continued with this book. Maybe because I wanted to see how terrible it was going to be. Next time curiosity be damned, I will just DNF.

"Once Taken" is book #2 in the Riley Paige series. Or what I started calling, that series with the FBI agent who makes Lizzie from the "Blacklist" look intelligent.

I really can't stand Riley. App
Nicole
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved this case. I loved the situation with Peterson and how brave Riley was and April too. I do like that Riley finally moved out of her house. Hopefully that will give her some piece of mind.
Tara
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
This is the second installment in the series and I am not sold on continuing it. The main character, Agent Riley Paige lacks depth for me and I just don't see what is so special about her abilities as an FBI agent for the BAU. She is known for her ability to "get inside" the serial killer's mind. She is a behavioral analyst; isn't that what the agents in the BAU are known for? Nothing stands out for me that separates her from her team. She is emotionally and mentally unstable, yet she is made th ...more
Robert C. smith
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Most Entertaining, Scary and Realistic!

Be prepared to read through the night. . . with all the lights on! Blake tells a great, entertaining and somewhat thought provoking story full of action, hope and sadness as Riley Paige goes against the rules to hunt down pathetic, sadistic serial killers. Her special talents are believable and keep reader's on their toes. Most definitely worth the time to read!
Wissal BEL
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ça fait plus d’une année que je lisais le premier tome, avant un certain moment j’avais Du curiosité extrême pour savoir ce qui s’est passé avec Riley Paige , est-ce qu’elle pouvait surmonter son obsession du son travail ? Est-ce qu’elle pouvait entamer une bonne relation avec April sa fille unique ? Et le plus important est-ce qu’elle avait raison que le tueur de son enquête précédente est encore vivant ? Est-ce que sa vie est encore en danger ? La Réponse Est OUI est toujours restera en danger ...more
laura
Mar 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Unputdownable!

I read this in 24 hours and have already downloaded book 3, this series is fantastic!

The relationships between the characters, and the killers, draws you in and you're hooked from the first page. Can't wait to see what will evolve between them all in book 3!
Caty Hespel
Feb 05, 2018 rated it liked it
This is the 2nd book I read and it's not bad. We get to know Riley better and the book actually has 2 story lines. The first continues where the previous book left off and next to it, Riley is assigned a new case and partner. The cases are intriguing, but the way Riley solves them is quite unrealistic or you have to go with the fact that she really has special psychic powers and can get into the unsub's head.

What did annoy me the most however was the large amount of typing errors in the free e-b
Michelle Wilson
Mar 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Ok I finished this book, it was good but the character Riley was not better in the second book. Too shallow for words. She is a ‘worried mum’ who works horrible crimes for the FBI, and she is separated from her husband. She really ‘worries’ about her daughter (too much) so much so that she leaves her in a hotel in NYC while she pursues without backing a serial killer. I shall not seek the third book, because I really do t want to know what happened to her and her partner Bill ...
Michael Perrucci
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm really hoping Blake is one of the authors that I started with from series 1 to when he makes it bigger! I expect to see more of his amazing writing. Although this one book 2... could've been a bit shorter but it's great when details go deep and vivid! That's what I want!
Alex
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book, but giving it 3 stars instead of 4 because I liked the first book in the series better. As I mentioned in my review for the first book, this again reminds me so much of the Hannibal books- this time in particular, Red Dragon.
mugginsuknow
May 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was hard to get through, I couldnt feel the connection with the characters that I need to really enjoy a book. It is about a woman who is a detective and she is all powerful. All she needs is wristbands that deflect bullets and she could be wonderwoman. The male characters dont appear to have any place in the story that matters. She did not work very hard to find her bad guys, they just cooperated in showing up for her.
John R. Goyer
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
I'm surprised at the high rating of this book - I think I'm being generous with 2 stars... the writing is adequate, but the story becomes implausible too many times and especially at the rather quickly wound up ending. Also, instead of letting us find out about characters through their actions, the author summarizes things for us to either speed up the process or make things obvious for readers that don't like subtleties.
Cyndi Marciano
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-reads
Blake Pierce is an excellent writer. As a lover of suspenseful crime novels, she keeps me interested and always wanting more. It's always "one more chapter, one more chapter". The books are really short, so it is very possible to finish the book in one sitting. Thank you to Google Books for offering most of these for free
Pamela Jane Klaver
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
love love love the entire series and Riley paige
Leigh Holland
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Once Taken (A Riley Paige Mystery-Book 2) by Blake Pierce, 235 pages, February 14th 2016, Genre: Mystery/Thriller/Suspense. Warning: May Contain Spoilers.

Review by Leigh Holland.

OT is a double story, both building on each other in a progressing character arc for FBI Special Agent Riley Paige. I was engaged from start to finish. When one plot resolved, the other had already captivated me. The heart of this book is its main character, Riley Paige, and the unfolding exploration of her darker si
Nancy
Mar 10, 2018 rated it liked it
"Once Taken" is the second book in the Riley Paige mystery series.

Generally I read the books from my on-line library in the order that I've purchased them. This time I decided to move right into book #2 of this series, I wanted to see if the author, Blake Pierce, had answered some of my questions from Book #1 and if she further developed the characters and storyline.

Unfortunately in my opinion the author did not. I still have questions about book #1 that have been left unanswered in book #2 lik
Leigh
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
As everyday citizens, when it comes to crime we expect very concrete things from the legal process. First, we expect all law enforcement figures to be the very best at their jobs, competent, and utterly sane. Second, we expect law enforcement to be able to see and recognize things that the rest of us done, and use those skills to bring criminals to justice swiftly and accurately. Third, we expect criminals to be despicable in every way.

There is a natural drive for there to be clear black and wh
MJ
Goodness, there's just so much simple going on. Miraculous insights from both the star spangled Riley (who is still dysfunctional) and from a new insanely insightful long term inmate. I love criminal minds and how the 'see' everything that's going on, this is similar, but misses the mark for me. Probably because she is so messed up otherwise. She was captured, imprisoned and tortured in the first book, but is back at work 6weeks later while she's still having flashbacks. This time, we are up to ...more
Madeline
Aug 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 20-august-2017
The main character is an FBI agent pursuing not one, but two serial killers. She is said to have the ability to think into the mind of the killer. However, I found the characterisations superficial. Many stages in the process of investigation were not adequately described and depth was lacking. For example, we are told that a relative from whom the subject acquired his van was uncomfortable with him but we are not told why. The most serious flaw is that there is no convincing build-up to account ...more
Ingo
Aug 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Snatched this ebook up for free after seeing that on Amazon.
Already got the first book for free and both sounded very interesting from the blurb, so without thinking, I got this also.
As with my two-star review from the first book, the MC Riley should be fired from her job, this time it is not as bad, so I rounded up from 2.5 stars to 3. The cliffhanger from the first book is what took me in. Also talking to a jailed killer-inmate for insights very well done.

The solving of the second case is at l
Louise White
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another great read

I haven't gotten into reading a series for a long time, the great thing about discovering a slightly older series is that there is no wait for the next book.

This book carries straight on from where the last one ended. Riley is traumatized from her friends death and the feeling that her previous captor, Peterson is still alive. Even though she is supposed to be resting, this FBI agent takes on another case. I really enjoy reading how Riley gets into the mind of the killer and a
Sabrina Grace
Jan 02, 2019 rated it liked it
FBI agent Riley Paige confronts two serial killers in this engaging nove. The first is dismissed as a figment of her imagination. The second wreaks havoc in upstate New York. The pace is good and there is plenty of action. I found Riley's domestic drama tiresome. The wealthy ex is stereoptypical and too cardboard . No divorce court is going to let a wealthy lawyer wiggle out of his support obligations to his child and absent an ironclad prenup, his ex spouse. The oracle like Hannibal Lector char ...more
Todd
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A look into a killers mind and those who hunt him.

The second in a series of books about Riley Paige, FBI serial killer hunter.
This book takes up where the first left off. Riley continues on her journey of self discovery while tracking a mentally deranged serial killer that is driven by chains.
The characters and their relationship with each other continues to develop in this fast paced book. A serial killer is once again on the loose and it's up to Riley and her partner, Bill to track him down
Brett Grossmann
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Dissapointed. Writer has talent but throws in stupid plot devices and makes there book overly derivative. Why are they driving all the way to sing sing to talk to a criminal with nothing to do with the case? Author is trying to create a Hannibal lector role for this character. Sort sone thug from the streets handing out sage advice is a dumb premise. The daughter is brought up only when convenient. The main characters is the worst mother of all time. Just leaves her child. New rookie agent on th ...more
Jool
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another 5 star book in the Riley Paige Mystery series! As soon as I finished this book I started on the next book in the series, it is that good. Usually I'll read something from another author, then get back to a series, just so it doesn't all get blurred together. But Riley Paige is such a great psychological series that I can't wait to get to the next book. Riley is with the BAU (Behavioral Analysis Unit) of the FBI and some of the serial killers she hunts are such twisted psychopaths that I ...more
Courtney Cuff
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Title:Once taken
Author:Blake Pierce
Main Characters: Riley Paige,Bill Jeffery's ,April and Peterson
Additional characters : Ryan,Brent,
this book is the sequel of the book Once Gone by Blake Pierce and in this book Riley struggles with her daughter and how to raise her,during this time Riley is doubting that Peterson a killer she had been tracking was actually dead.throughout the book April Riley's daughter was making very unsmart decision such a smoking pot and hanging out with her boyfriend and
Arthur Okun
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I finished the first book ,ONCE GONE and thought I was glad I read it with the lights on.
Now,having finished the second book in the series,ONCE TAKEN,I decided WOW-
Blake Pierce, this writer writes with forceful prose about serial killers.
The props are Riley Paige who has insights about the thoughts that goes through the
mind of these killers.
The cast of these FBI agents----Bill Jeffery---Lucy Vargas---and many more.
Thee killers slit throats,speak to chains,and abduct women.
And Riley has a daughte
Matthew Atkinson
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellant

Definitely five stars. The first book was a free download, so no problems buying this one. I was a little disappointed that the Peterson story that plagued Riley for so long, ended so fast. It seemed it was being built up to be concluded in the third book but never mind, it was still good to read Riley getting shot of Peterson. The rest of the story was very good, all characters engaged well with each other. Lucy the new agent seems like someone who could take over from Riley soon enoug
Nook books: May 27, 2016 1 4 May 27, 2016 07:38PM
  • The King of Terrors
  • Elysium Dreams
  • Bad Break (Lucy Guardino FBI Thriller #4.5)
  • Lisa Emmer Historical Thrillers Vol. 1-2 (Lisa Emmer Historical Thriller Series)
  • Aim True, My Brothers
  • The Lady of the Garter (Ladies of Lore, #1)
  • Creatures of Appetite
  • The Haunting at Blackwood Hall
  • The Book of Maggie Bradstreet (The Bradstreet Chronicles)
  • Trapped in Whittier (Trent Walker, #1)
  • Walk The Sky
  • Darling
  • Crazy Little Thing Called Love
  • Keep You Near (DS Marnie Hammond, #1)
  • Mystery at Maplemead Castle (The Chapelwick Mysteries #2)
  • Hot Gossip (The Kerry Series, #2)
  • Mr. Underneath
  • And Justice for Her: Boxed Set
Blake Pierce is author of the bestselling RILEY PAGE mystery series, which includes seven books (and counting). Blake Pierce is also the author of the MACKENZIE WHITE mystery series, comprising four books (and counting); of the AVERY BLACK mystery series, comprising four books (and counting); and of the new KERI LOCKE mystery series.

An avid reader and lifelong fan of the mystery and thriller genre

Riley Paige Mystery (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Once Gone (Riley Paige Mystery, #1)
  • Once Craved (Riley Paige Mystery, #3)
  • Once Lured (Riley Paige Mystery, #4)
  • Once Hunted (Riley Paige Mystery, #5)
  • Once Pined (Riley Paige Mystery #6)
  • Once Forsaken (Riley Paige Mystery #7)
  • Once Cold (Riley Paige Mystery #8)
  • Once Stalked (Riley Paige Mystery #9)
  • Once Lost (Riley Paige Mystery, #10)
  • Once Buried (Riley Paige Mystery #11)
“Done for the night, he steered his ship for shore, and as it chugged steadily for the dock at Reedsport, one of his passengers called out, jarring him from his reverie. “Hey, Cap’n—isn’t that your ghost right over there?” Jimmy didn’t bother to look. All four of his passengers—two young vacationing couples—were pretty drunk. Doubtless one of the guys was just trying to scare the girls. But then” 0 likes
“One monster at a time.” 0 likes