Start by marking “Tea with Jane Austen: Recipes inspired by her novels and letters” as Want to Read:
Tea with Jane Austen: Recipes inspired by her novels and letters

Tea with Jane Austen: Recipes inspired by her novels and letters

Enjoy a cup of tea and a slice of cake with one of the world's favorite novelists

Inspired by the novels and letters of Jane Austen, this collection of cakes, bakes, and pastries is based on authentic recipes from the Recency era, which have been fully updated for modern-day cooks. In Jane
Published February 11th 2016 by CICO Books

To ask other readers questions about Tea with Jane Austen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tea with Jane Austen

Start your review of Tea with Jane Austen: Recipes inspired by her novels and letters
Christina
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful small cook book. Loved the connection to
Austen and her novels. Gorgeous photos too.
Plateresca
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gastronomy
Such a sweet little book with such nice food photography!
I only wish it would go more in-depth into everything.
The instructions are fairly easy to follow, but I'd appreciate a more detailed approach. For instance, natural rosewater: how did one make it? Or 'drop the mixture...', how thick should this mixture be?
But, really, I'm just being particular, the booklet is lovely.

Upd: jumbles and ratafia are my absolute favourites, so easy to cook and so delicious!
Shay
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, reviewed
Just a really cute mini cook book full of tea time snacks with excerpts from Austen's novels and other sources. Some of the recipes look really great and I will totally be trying them out soon. Others just aren't my cup of tea. (Pun intended)
Annie
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of my souvenirs from visit to Jane Austen House Museum.
Introduction has interesting bits of tea drinking traditions from Jane's time. Such as tea was usually drank after the evening meal. It was kind of a dessert buffet.
Looking forward to making Strawberry Tartlets when berries are in season.
Jan
Oct 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
Challies' 2016 Reading Challenge - #12 a book published in 2017

Very short but some of the recipes look delicious. As soon as cold weather gets here I'll try making several of them.
Katharine_Ann
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star, cookbook
This is an adorable little book that examines the food presented in Austen's novels and letters and provides historically accurate recipes that look delicious! I love that there is a short introduction explaining what tea-time meant during the Austen era. Additionally, each recipe is introduced with a quotation or reference to Austen's writings. The recipes seem easy to follow with simple ingredients. I adore this book. It is simple, yet elegant, and makes a lovely companion for any ...more
Tera
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking, non-fic-2016
For a fan of Jane Austen, this was a fascinating look at the cookery of her time. It opened my eyes to meal traditions that I didn't fully understand while reading the books, and also gave me an appreciation for our modern cookery.
Ruth
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
While no recipe book can be considered "finished" without trying out at least one recipe, I'm afraid that must wait at least until I can hold my own high tea with lots of scones and clotted cream. And a few Bath buns, perhaps a strawberry tartlet, and pound cake? "Happy thought, indeed."
Sarah Bierle
A delightful book with historic food information and recipes! Looking forward to trying a few recipes soon...
Danielle
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I mostly got Jane Austen & HP gifts this holiday season & I ain't mad about it
Janée
Aug 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Fun recipes! A lot of them seem quite bland, but I guess it's appropriate for the time.
Cathie Maud
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
Measurement conversions are not consistent throughout book (the recipes in the first half of the book do not include cup conversions), and there are a lot of recipes for buns and muffins, and not much else. I was hoping for a more diverse variety of recipe options in order to create a full tea experience.
Susanna
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I really enjoy reading about these kinds of old recipes. Some of them even seem worth trying =D
Rebecka
May 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's a book of recipes. Easy to read and sort of fun.
Booksandballgowns
Sara
Dec 26, 2016

• Feminist Icon Cross-Stitch: 30 Daring Designs to Celebrate Strong Women
  • Make Trouble
  • The Wizard's Cookbook: Magical Recipes Inspired by Harry Potter, Merlin, The Wizard of Oz, and More
  • The Nightmare Before Dinner: Recipes and Drinks from The Beetle House, the Tim Burton and Salvador Dali-Inspired Restaurant
  • The Little House Collection (Little House, #1-9)
  • Paula Deen’s Air Fryer Cookbook
  • Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict (Jane Austen Addict, #1)
  • Great British Bake Off - Perfect Cakes & Bakes To Make At Home (Official tie-in to the 2016 series)
  • Baking with Mary Berry: Cakes, Cookies, Pies and Pastries from the British Queen of Baking
  • The Bread Baker's Apprentice: Mastering the Art of Extraordinary Bread
  • Company's Coming: Cookies
  • Great Britain
  • The Jane Austen Handbook
  • Weight Watchers® (our best 5 ingredient 15 minute recipes)
  • Neil Patrick Harris: Choose Your Own Autobiography