Start by marking “Intrigue in Istanbul - An Agnes Kelly Mystery Adventure” as Want to Read:
Intrigue in Istanbul - An Agnes Kelly Mystery Adventure

Intrigue in Istanbul - An Agnes Kelly Mystery Adventure

(Agnes Kelly #1)

** 2016 Moombeam Book Award Winner **

Everyone at the table is as surprised by Grandma’s little maneuver as I am, but I’m not looking at my relatives or even at Peggy, I’ve got my eyes glued on Grandma Agee. She’s reading Uncle Bob the riot act over at the dessert table…I’m concentrating hard on Grandma’s face, specifically her lips. But she’s turned ever so slightly away f
Published January 31st 2016 by CKBooks Publishing (first published January 2016)

Be the first to ask a question about Intrigue in Istanbul - An Agnes Kelly Mystery Adventure

Start your review of Intrigue in Istanbul - An Agnes Kelly Mystery Adventure
Vicki
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade, ebook
This is a really fun middle-grade children's book with a very interesting plot. The book starts on a sad note, and we learn that Agnes' father has recently passed away. When her distant grandmother comes for the funeral she offers Agnes a trip to Istanbul with her.

While she is there, she tries to solve the mystery of what she overheard at the funeral and also learn about other people and their culture. It is a very intelligent book and middle school children will really enjoy reading this adven
Robert
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first of what is to be a trilogy known as the Agnes Kelly Mystery Series. The novels are more akin to the Nancy Drew Mystery Series, but it's set in the 1960's during the Cold War.

Agnes' father unexpectedly dies on a business trip to Istanbul. Unaware of the circumstances of her father's death, she accidentally overhears her Uncle Bob with her Grandmother Agee talking about her father's death and Grandmother Agee quickly silences Uncle Bob. As a distraction, Grandmother Agee abruptly
Sue F
Aug 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC of this to read in exchange for my honest review, and was a little surprised to discover that it was written for middle-school-age kids. But as an adult, I’ve read lots of kids’ books that I enjoyed, so I went ahead and read this one, and sure enough, I enjoyed it.

The protagonist is a 12-year old, Agnes Kelly, growing up in the early 60s. She’s a bit of a tomboy, reads a lot, and likes to look stuff up, so I immediately felt at home with her. I have plenty of my own memories o
Laurie
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Agnes Kelly takes a trip to Turkey with her Grandma Agee. While there, Agnes’ father has recently died, and she finds that it may not have been an accident. Her determination to discover the truth starts her on an adventure that she never expected.

This is such a great book and the start of a fabulous adventure series that any kid would love. Filled with facts, definitions, and idioms that are presented in such a way that they are perfectly natural…a part of the conversation. The places Agnes vis
Cynthia Moore
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very interesting book. I found the main character to be intelligent and engaging. As it targeted towards middle schoolers, the definitions were a good addition. I felt like I could still enjoy the story even as an adult because it wasn't dumbed down. I thought is was exciting for someone like Agnes to get to go on an adventure during the 60's to a place like Istanbul. She is there with her grandmother and figures out that her grandmother is trying to find out how Agnes' father really ...more
Elizabeth Grieve
A great idea for children and young adults, this story teaches the reader while telling a tale, giving word definitions and describing the historical sights used as settings. It's about a young girl who accompanies her grandmother on a trip to Istanbul, but it turns out not to be just a holiday.
While it had a good plot, there were too many errors, in particular the use of wrong words (eg crumbled instead of crumpled). The Turkish was also inconsistent, with Turkish characters used in direct spe
Marianne Reese
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although I’m an adult, I enjoyed reading this story geared towards middle schoolers. The protagonist, Agnes Kelly, is an intelligent twelve year old that loves to read and learn new things. The book is full of idioms that Agnes does a good job with explaining their meanings and origins, which I thought was fun to read. The story is set in the later half of the twentieth century, referencing many things from that era.

The story begins with a memorial service for her father who had died in an accid
Bonnie. Davidson
This book is written for young adults but I also enjoyed it
This book starts with a funeral and it was so well written from Agnes perspective. The same thing happened to me and I could see myself in her description.
Agnes is a plucky little gal who goes to Istanbul with her grandma. I love the Agnes character and her story telling of her first airplane ride and foreign travel.

Looking forward to the second book in the series. Set in Norway.

Christine writes this age group very well.

Recommend it
Marie-Helene Fasquel
Intrigue in Istanbul, An Agnes Kelly Mystery Adventure by Christine Keleny , set in 1961, a time of the cold war and space race, is packed with information in a way that will engage children, parents and teachers alike.
I loved everything about this book: its plot, the vivid characterization, the information (of course… I’m a parent and a teacher!).
Thank you so much BooksGoSocial for this absolute gem!
#IntrigueInIstanbul #NetGalleyFrance
Annarella
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this book can be appreciated at all ages.
It well written, engrossing and entertaining.
I loved the plot, the cast of characters and the setting.
I look forward to reading other books by this author.
Highly recommended!
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
Elissa
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great start to a new series. It's perfect for fans of Nancy Drew and Robin Stevens. Agnes is an endearing character and I look forward to seeing her relationship with her grandmother grow as they continue their adventures. The author did a wonderful job describing Istanbul . My only criticism is that it was too short, more of a novella, it left me wanting more. If all of the stories are shorter, I hope that all of Agnes' adventures will bound into one book for publication. ...more
Kate
Dec 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a cute story of a 12 year old girl who travels to Istanbul, has adventures, and tries to uncover information about her father.
Overall, I liked the story okay but I *hated* the constant defining of words and idioms. I found this annoying and distracting. Helping with the pronunciation of turkish words was nice though. In general, I found the narrator overly pedantic and needing to explain things.

The book takes place between 1961-1963. Several times things are drawn attention to to accentu
Aileen  (Ailz) Grist
Agnes Kelly's father has just died. He worked for the US Government, selling insurance. When Agnes's grandmother invites on a trip to Istanbul, Agnes discovers that there was more to her dad's life than insurance. Yes he worked for the government, but he wasn't selling insurance. Luckily she's a very enterprising 12 year old.

A book to make you laugh out loud.
C.A. King
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A middle-grade read (it could extend either sides of the spectrum.)

I enjoyed how the author integrated explanations for words and phrases young readers might not understand. This is the story of a twelve year old after-all. It flowed well with the writing style and I offer two thumbs up for that! The letter from Agnes at the end was a nice touch as well.

The story itself was well written and enjoyable! The book is the perfect length to hold the interest of young readers as well.
Ssalve
Feb 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought it was a cute book that upper elementary aged children would enjoy. It had a nice balance of detail about Istanbul and culture paired with this young girl and her grandmothers search for truth about her fathers disappearance.
Sara
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Agnes reminds me a lot of myself as a kid: big vocabulary, wise beyond her years, and trying to save/protect the rest of her family as she tries to find out what happened to her father on his work trip. Agnes is a 12-year-old who teams up with her Grandma to travel to Istanbul and learn some local facts while teaching vocabulary and dodging danger. I'm looking forward to the next book in this series. ...more
Rough Draft Book Blog
Intrigue in Istanbul by Christine Keleny
Agnes Kelly Mystery Adventure #1
WOW! THIS BOOK IS AMAZING AND FUN
5 Stars

Well peeps, yet again I have read a book that's way out of my genres zone, but I did it with my 12 year old.

Agnes Kelly is a young girl (sort of ) struggling with the death of her father and at the same time taking the trip of a lifetime with her Grandmother. Agnes has silly quirks and amusing ways of explaining herself.

When I first started this I was thinking it was more of a vocabu
Sarah Stuart
May 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed by Sarah Stuart for Readers' Favorite

Christine Keleny’s Intrigue in Istanbul, An Agnes Kelly Mystery Adventure, a book for Middle Grade readers, is the American version of Alan Bradley’s Flavia de Luce. It begins with the early death of Agnes’ father while he is away on a business trip. Agnes is puzzled by something Uncle Bob starts to say at the funeral, but Grandma Agee silences him and distracts Agnes with an invitation to travel with her to Istanbul “for company”. The basis of the s
Elaine
I was pleased to receive a free e-book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Intrigue in Istanbul is less intrigue, in my opinion, and more about a plucky, (bold) clever young lady in search of solace and adventure after the unexpected death of her father. Agnes Kelly reminds me of a 1960s Harriet the Spy except she uses her notebook to jot down vocabulary words she doesn’t know to check later in the dictionary. How proactive!

A sudden (unanticipated) trip to Istanbul with her grandmot
Judy Ward
Mar 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: everything-else
Christine Keleny allowed me to read her book. Thank you Christine.
This is a cute story about Agnes. After her father dies, her grandma, Agee, takes her on a trip to Istanbul. They enjoy exploring the sights and trying the different foods.
A street boy steals Agnes purse. She takes after him while grandma Agee tries to stop her. Another street boy on a bicycle sees what is happening and takes off after the first boy. He catches him and gets Agnes' purse back for her. They become friends.
Meanwhile
Lucretia
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is so much to love about this fast, middle-grade mystery. Even though the main narrative comes from a preteen, Agnes, it makes an enjoyable read for adults as well. That is because not only is Agnes extremely articulate for her age, intelligent and inquisitive, but she takes the time to explain anything that might be over the head of younger readers. Her voice also has a humor to it that lightens things perfectly for younger audiences.

Intially it starts with a very sad moment as Agnes is a
V.M. Devine
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From the first page of the book I was drawn into the delightful world of Agnes Kelly. She is young and quirky with a great sense of humour. This is a great read for young readers and pre-teens.
I love books that are set in countries that are slightly out of the norm for Western novels and the descriptions of Turkey were apt and entrancing.
I wasn’t expecting the book to be the first of a series so it ended a bit abruptly for me but I am looking forward to the next installment and to sharing this o
Gordon Bickerstaff
Enjoyable adventure mystery

This is a wholesome detective mystery that will appeal to a wide range of readers. It is set in the early 60s at the time of the cold war and old-fashioned spies and the author has done a good job re-creating the era. The author has packed the story with mystery, action, suspense humour and adventure in which twelve-year-old Agnes Kelly's father has died in Istanbul and she is determined to discover what happened to him. Characters are well drawn, enjoyable and fit per
Laurie Bonser
Mar 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
OK, I'm immediately hooked on this first of the series! Main character Agnes is a smart, witty, curious young lady with a penchant for observation and experiencing each event with humor and tongue-in-cheek commentary. The story line moved along smoothly with interesting scenes and action, and the author's inclusion of historical and cultural information was very well done. I can't wait to share this one with my nieces and hope the author has book two planned for release very soon. ...more
L.H. Williams
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A little gem of a book!

Delightful read for the younger set and a trip down memory lane for some of us older readers. Beautifully written, this book is the start of a series that will entertain young minds just as Nancy Drew did for teens in the 50s and 60s. The mystery's story concept, that of a determined Grandma and a smart preteen girl, is clever but a little risky, so I was pleased to see that it was carried through to perfection. Looking forward to the next installment!
Kristina
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great book!
Jen Solak
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If Lemony Snicket met Harriet the Spy, and threw in a healthy dose of international travel, it would be almost as good as Intrigue in Istanbul! Agnes’ story starts with something sad, but we quickly move onto an adventure with plenty of fun and a touch of danger. Throughout the novel, Agnes does a great job of explaining large or unfamiliar words for the reader as well as idioms she has encountered. One great thing about Agnes is that if she doesn’t know something, she looks it up!

This novel wou
Martin Fossum
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a delightful short mystery set in the early 1960's about a young girl's adventures in Istanbul and her search to discover the truth about her CIA-agent father's death. The narrative was a little clunky, as far as my middle-aged male perspective is concerned, but the characters were ernest and the plot modestly believable.

This is a short, but rich story, and educational. Geography stands at the fore, along with the main character's insistence on dictionary definitions of words that might
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Nick Neagle
Aug 30, 2020
Peggy
Aug 31, 2020

• House of Secrets (Shandra Covington, #1)
  • Ring Around the Rosie (Olivia Thompson #1)
  • Sam's Song (Sam Smith Mystery #1)
  • And Then They Were Doomed
  • Sign Off (Caught Dead in Wyoming, #1)
  • Carolina Booty
  • Who's Sorry Now? (Lady Adelaide Mystery #2)
  • A Terminal Agenda (Severance #1)
  • Emerald Blaze (Hidden Legacy, #5)
  • Nancy Drew: The Palace of Wisdom
  • A Stroke of Malice (Lady Darby Mystery, #8)
  • Bound for Murder (Blue Ridge Library Mysteries #4)
  • The Body on the Train (Kate Shackleton, #11)
  • Guns, Wives and Chocolate (Death by Chocolate Book 7)
  • Blind Edge (Deception Point #2)
  • The House of Closed Doors (The House of Closed Doors #1)
  • Ghouls and Jewels (Abi Button Cozy Mystery Romance #4)
  • Unfinished Grave (Judge Rosswell Carew Mystery, #4)
I am a writer, reader, author, editor, book designer and publisher. I am a mother of two, grown, children and a wife. I like working with my hands, so when the need or desire arises, I crochet, sew, tile, paint, cross stitch, frame pictures, stain furniture, cut and split fire wood, x-country ski, train and ride horses…
But my main loves are writing and helping others publish the book of their d

Agnes Kelly (3 books)
  • Narrow Escape in Norway (Agnes Kelly #2)
  • All is Revealed in Russia