Start by marking “Symbiosis” as Want to Read:
Symbiosis

Symbiosis

Identical twins Talulah and Taliah have never been apart. Viewed as curiosities by children and adults alike, they coexist in an insular world with their own secret language. But being identical doesn’t necessarily mean being equal…

Soon a series of momentous events will send Talulah and Taliah spiralling out of control, setting them on a collision course with a society tha
Published January 21st 2016 by Me

To ask other readers questions about Symbiosis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Symbiosis

Jason
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2016
What's the creepiest thing in a horror movie? Kids that's what! This book has girls, so doubly creepy! They are twins with a special connection so super creepy all round.

The writing is weird, not sure if it is first/second or third person, it's like a documentary and the narrator is telling you what you are looking at, what is being thought and what has happened. For me this style made it very easy to settle down and get in to.

Guy has done a lot of drugs... I mean research into drugs, the twins
Heather Burnside
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I found this book totally absorbing and different to anything I have read previously. The characters are very convincing, and the reader is given an insight into the life of a pair of twins who have a strong but not necessarily healthy connection. This book kept me gripped as I wanted to find out how their unhealthy relationship would influence their actions and, ultimately, the final outcome of their story.
David Baird
This story follows the life’s of identical twins Talulah and Taliah. I must admit I was interested straight away since I myself have twins and always wonder if they will have a “special” connection. After reading the book I certainly still hope they do.. just not to the degree these twins do.

I’ve never read a story like this before and it was very interesting to read about the kind of symbiotic dependency the girls had with each other… at first you just felt the girls were misunderstood but as t
Alison
Jan 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. It was totally different from what I expected.

Twins. Identical twins. Creepy identical twins ..... Guaranteed to freak you out.

The writing style is unique - not sure if it's fly-on-the-wall type narration, academic overseeing, or what. But I liked it. It was informative, without overtelling, and descriptive enough to include the reader into seeing what is there.

Guy has obviously done a lot of research into twin behaviour and drugs for mental illness, and the combination of
Kath Middleton
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Twins often grow very close, sharing their own secret language, and Talulah and Taliah are considered by their own mother to be so close as to be two halves of a whole. They are not equal, though. Talulah leads, even walking ahead of her sister, but Taliah is better academically. Their speech continues to be idiosyncratic and they are moved to a special school. While in special education, they come into the orbit of an anarchist student who influences Talulah and, of course, Taliah is drawn alon ...more
Sean Randall
Jan 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Not since Heinlein's Time for the Stars did I read a book with such intriguing twins. It's a diffuse sort of a story, with a great English school, institution and cultural feel. And with a breathtakingly potent ending to boot!
Justin
Jan 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another incredibly clever book. An intriguing topic, which simmers away gently yet drawing you in deeper and deeper. I'm pleased I guessed wrongly with the ending, which caused me to re-evaluate my opinions about the story once again.
Patricia Hamill
Symbiosis is the story of young, identical twins, Talulah and Taliah. Most of the story follows them growing up, highlighting the almost supernatural connection, the eerie synchronicity, and the invented language they share with only each other.
First off, I liked how the story was told, though it took me a while to get accustomed to it, and some extra formatting or spacing in places could have made transitions easier to spot. The perspective, though always in third person point of view, shifts
Feb 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Talulah and Taliah are identical twins. People find it hard to tell them apart. Their teachers, and even their parents, to a certain extent treat them as if they are the same person.

The twins have their own made up language which to be honest I ended up skipping after a while as the words don't make any sense to the reader, only to the twins. I have to say I would have preferred a bit less of their own dialogue as I did find it slightly distracting.

Everyone seems to find the twins relationship
Digital Book Freak
WHEN LOVE TURNS TO HATE...

First I would like to thank author, Guy Portman for my copy of Symbiosis in exchange for a fair and honest review.

My rating is 4.5 stars.

What this book is about

Holy cow, this was good!!!

Identical twins, Talulah and Taliah, share a special bond, they are inseparable, even have their own language that only they can understand. They do everything together, even eat, drink and sleep at the same time...until one day Talulah does something unforgiving...resulting in Taliah pu
Rhiannon Johnson
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
**review in progress**
Ishita
Apr 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mental-health
*Rating : 3.5/5*
*Note : I received a digital copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review*
(Originally posted on bookmyopia/wordpress)

Taliah and Talulah have been close ever since they came into their world, with not just identical looks on account of being twins, but identical mannerisms, mirrored actions and a made-up language of their own. This is the first book I have read dealing with cryptophasia (translates to “secret speech”) and while this isn’t much of a “problem”
Chris Bailey
Feb 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
****** 4.5 Stars *******

I went into this book with an open mind. I really did not know what to expect. The start of this book was a little confusing for me if I was to be honest, I felt it did not flow and it took me a good few pages to pick the story up. However Once it did and I got my bearings I felt this was a wonderful story. We can all try and think what it would be like to be a twin especially identical one's but we will never really know unless you are one. I think how Guy wrote Talulah
Adam
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is an engaging, moving, funny and above all unusual book. I'm a big fan of Portman's Necropolis, a compelling study of a British psycho, but in some ways this is even better. The writing is concise and he is able to create characters in very few words. The twins' secret language gives the whole thing an uncanny quality as you're never quite sure what they're saying. I like the way it takes normal, seminal moments in the life of teenage girls but twists them into deeply traumatic episodes. T ...more
Anthony Kizer
Apr 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I have always wondered what it would be like in the life of twins. I thoroughly enjoyed reading the adventures of these two female twins. There are some serious twists and turns in the story that I found really progressed the story in all the right places. It was nice to see some solid character development of these two twins and to see them grow independently of each other but together at the same time. A very different but well done story

I received this book from the author for a review.
Annabelle Heath
As a society, I think we have an enduring fascination with identical twins. It’s a phenomenon that raises lots of existential questions about identity, the nature of genetics, and even the human soul. On a more primal level, they’re an oddity that fascinates in the same way that anything out of the ordinary does.

Which is all entirely ridiculous if you actually know any identical twins (I’ve known quite a few) because they’re just people like everyone else. Their mystique is entirely around the f
Allysa Peck
Feb 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
I received a copy of Symbiosis in return for an honest review.

I am sorry to say that, although initially intrigued by the book, for me, it wound up falling flat. I've always been fascinated with twins, and the book is a tale about two identical twins and one of the twins trying to stand out as an individual. That being said, I found there was little in terms of actual plot, and although I found Taliah to be an interesting character, Talulah I found increasingly frustrating to read about.

I also
Fiona
Aug 13, 2016
Rawoyo Abdurrouf
rated it did not like it
Apr 18, 2017
Jan 29, 2016
Rupert Dreyfus
Jan 06, 2016
Guy Portman
Jan 06, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Dennis Jacob Rosenfeld
Joanne
Betty
UK Amazon Kindle ...: Guy Portman 29 84 Jun 05, 2018 11:27AM
Indie Revolution ...: Symbiosis Sale 8 10 Apr 12, 2016 08:14AM
Indie Revolution ...: Symbiosis by Guy Portman is now on Sale 1 3 Apr 08, 2016 09:55AM

• Devil May Care (Speak of the Devil, #2)
  • Game Plan
  • A Very Private Life
  • Empty Quarter (Darcie Lock, #2)
  • UnEarthed (UnEarthed, #1)
  • A Sea of Stars
  • The Night Is Found (Lycan Code Book 3)
  • Last to Rise (Rojan Dizon, #3)
  • The Traitor Game
  • Dark Child (the Awakening): Episode 1 (Dark Child, #1.1)
  • Elspeth (Shadow of the Dragon, #2)
  • Thin Blue Smoke
  • The Exiled Blade (The Assassini, #3)
  • All the Turns of Light (Paths of Shadow, #2)
  • The Disgrace of Kitty Grey
  • Temping Is Hell (Necessary Evil, #1)
  • Back to Blackbrick
  • Edge (Romance on the Edge, #1)
As far back as anyone can remember Guy has been an introverted creature, with an insatiable appetite for knowledge, and a sardonic sense of humour.

Throughout a childhood in London spent watching cold war propaganda gems such as He Man, an adolescence confined in various institutions, and a career that has encompassed stints in academic research and the sports industry, Guy has been a keen if some