Start by marking “Krim Du Shaw” as Want to Read:
Krim Du Shaw

Krim Du Shaw

Krim was just a colt when the stallions of the Du Shaw herd led him and the mares to the stone building with its tall walls and heavy wooden door. The mares knew what the stallions yearned for, and they knew what would happen if the stallions gave in. But for Krim, it would be much later before he would discover for himself what lies beyond the stone wall.
Published January 4th 2016 by Sheehan & Haven

To ask other readers questions about Krim Du Shaw, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Krim Du Shaw

Donita Luz
Krim Du Shaw is a sad, imaginative fable about the fantastical creature- Unicorns. This is the second short story by Talia Haven I've read, the first one was Mama Cried a story that hit me right in the feels. The author's writing and story telling is still superb and wonderful, the same thing I noticed on the first novel of her that I read. Mama Cried is not the kind of bedtime story you'd want to read to your kids whereas Krim Du Shaw is perfect for a little story telling for your little ones, ...more
Sinead
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cute, sad
If you’ve ever wondered why unicorns aren’t seen anymore, or whatever happened to them, then pick up this book. It’s a sweet little tale that depicts what really happened to unicorns. The writing really flows nicely and it's a lovely little tale to read.

Short stories are something sweet to read as you never know what to expect, and I was blown away by the imagination in this little tale.

Many thanks to Talia Haven for providing me with a copy of this book to review.
Claire - The Coffeeholic Bookworm
Ever wondered about unicorns? I must admit, when I was a kid, I believed in those horned & winged horses and dreamt of flying in the skies with them, just like Pegasus. I thought by then, unicorns were for real, until I finally learned in 3rd grade that they weren't. Whenever I tell my kids about my discovery, they laugh at me. They say I was too old to believe in them, since they already know about those magical horses when they were in Kindergarten. Ha!

I read this book to my kids last nig
JenacideByBibliophile

Disclaimer: This book was sent to me by the author, Talia Haven, for an honest review.

Opinion: This is a great short story that has a true knack for bringing out your inner child, who will inevitably be crying by the end. If you were like me as a child, you probably wondered what happened to those beautiful creatures called Unicorns. In this story, the reader sees the ugly side of mankind and the true beauty in innocence.

Krim Du Shaw is the dark and haunting tale about the extinction of Unicor
Jordan
Feb 04, 2016 added it
Shelves: 2016
Find this review at Forever Lost in Literature!

Have you ever pondered the myths and stories of unicorns? Did you believe they existed when you were a kid? Talia Haven tackles this particular issue in a lovely little short story about unicorns themselves. Most people tend to treat unicorns as a bit of a joke, which has caused my interest in them to wane a bit over the years, but I have always been interested in mythical and magical creatures, and this story has really sparked my interest of unico
Michelle Stanley
Mar 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Krim was a colt in the Du Shaw herd when he and the mares followed the stallions to a stone building with a heavy door. The stallions were mesmerised by an unforeseen force behind the door and refused to leave the area, ignoring the mares’ pleads. The mares knew there was danger lurking behind the walls and the stallions would be harmed because they were unicorns.

When the wooden door opened and two young girls appeared, one of the stallions could not resist the urge to be touched by one of them.
Rustys
Jan 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is the second book I’ve read from this author and although both
were short in length they are a strong parable.
For such a short story, about six pages there are multiple
interpretations.

First, you can look at it as a fantasy story about the existence of
unicorns and the inhumane demise of the magical creatures.

Or, the strong emotional need to be touched whether animal or human.
To feel the essence of purity no matter what the consequence.

He needed it; he desired her soothing touch. It was
Cats of Ulthar March of Shoggoths
Review: KRIM DU SHAW by Talia Haven

A short yet magical story, I found KRIM DU SHAW both sad and endearing. It's also a story that won't leave the memory, but lingers on. The Du Shaw "horses" live in the forest. Periodically, one or more of the stallions (never the mares, families, or colts) is magnetized toward a human. But then, these aren't regular horses.
J.B. Garner
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
From The Musings of a Starving Author:

This week, we are serving up short stories in the Starving Review kitchen. Seeking to follow the recipe of the fairy tales of old, Krim Du Shaw promises magic and something ready for reluctant readers. Will this modern fable deliver or has this recipe gotten too old to stand the test of time?

Before we answer those questions, let us bring forth Ye Olde Starving Review Laws:

I attempt to rate every book from the perspective of a fan of the genre
I attempt to mak
Theresa Needham fehse
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Free book for honest review. juliesbookreview.blogspot.com

Rating: 3 1/2 Stars

Sheila
Stallions watch the human barn and the mares know there’s nothing there of value. But these are special stallions, called here by an urgent need. Love bleeds their strength from them, and betrayal destroys their race.

Talia Haven has crafted an intriguing tale of the end of the unicorns in Krim Du Shaw. The story’s short, simple, and pleasingly told. Smooth reading, apart from a few odd glitches, and haunting depictions bring the magical creatures to life. There’s a very real sadness in that crue
Ana Meyer
Jan 19, 2016 rated it liked it
3 1/2 stars
Super short and super sad :( This is a very well written short story however it is really sad. To tell the story of the disappearance of unicorns was heartbreaking for me. This is by no means a fairy tale type story for children as there are some very dark images of mankind and the pain they caused the unicorns. As a story it is really well written but I am not sure of the audience it is targeted at. I don't think it is appropriate for children but at the same time it is not fully an
Adrienne
Review also available on my blog The Shameful Narcissist Speaks.

One of the most original stories about unicorns I've ever read.  Quick and heartbreaking with no light or fluff to be found.  It was short, sweet, and brutal.  I liked how the value of the horn was never explicitly stated, and I liked how only the stallions yearned for a virgin's touch (the mares knew better).  For six pages and $0.99, it has an impact you feel upon retrospect, and I'm surprised that some Goodreads users have it lis
Dawn
Mar 28, 2016 rated it liked it
I received a free ecopy of this short story for an honest review.

Talia Haven has done it again. She has a talent for writing short stories that evoke such strong feelings! I reviewed Mama Cried a while back and it was powerful.

Krim Du Shaw is a fable about how unicorns became nonexistent. It is such a sad story! This is not a short story I would recommend for children but it is a good, short read for adults.
Alexis
Jan 12, 2016 rated it liked it
As a lover of fantasy stories that feature creatures such as unicorns, this was short but also very sad. So it suprised me that such a short story (10 min read) could effect me so much.

The writing was well done, and the editing superb. I have never read something from this author before but she strikes me as someone who could write longer stories and keep me interested.

Posted for middle grade age groups and I feel that's appropriate.
Michelle (Michelle's Book Ends) Shealy
In this short fairy tale we find that Krim of the Du Shaw stables wondering about the stallions and his life. He will find out what happens to Unicorns. So do we! A short, sad tale of why Unicorns disappeared.

This is the second short story I've read by Talia Haven. The first was "Mama Cried." Obviously a gifted writer. I look forward to a longer story by this author.
Kristine Hall
Another hard-hitting short story from author Talia Haven. This time, she ventures down the fantasy path with the human impact on nature. Well-edited, well-written, descriptive. . . and yeah, a little sad. Full review coming soon to Hall Ways blog http://kristinehallways.blogspot.com .
Michael Mardel
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Krim Du Shaw by Haven. Krim is a special horse. Like some of the others he succumbed to his need to be patted. But this has disastrous results. When you read this story, you will be enlightened. Who will survive?
Amy Shannon
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A grand story

It takes a special writing skill to create a short story. Krim Du Shaw is a grand short story, where the story doesn't take over, it tells the story. The meadow filled with mares, fillies and unicorns, a time where unicorns frolicked. It's a wonderful fable and it tells the story with ease and has a thoughtful ending. It's nice to know that fables and fantasy can still exist. Well written short story.
N B
Feb 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
Krim Du Shaw is a male unicorn. This is a fable about him and what happened to the unicorns. Apparently only male unicorns have horns, according to this story. It was a strange concept for me – whenever one sees a drawing of a unicorn, it is often surrounded by rainbows and stars and all sorts of happy magical things, I guess I just always got the feeling that they were a bit of a 'girly' type of animal. So I did a quick double-check among a few other animal species with horns and tusks and such ...more
M.J. Joachim
Apr 23, 2016 rated it liked it
If you like the mystery and magic of unicorns, and who doesn’t, you’ll probably find Krim Du Shaw an intriguing little story. It’s sad in a way, as humans interfere with Krim, the main unicorn that this fable is about. There’s a lot to be said for making people think and wonder about when they read a good book. I enjoyed it, though it’s definitely not my favorite that Talia Haven has written. Please read my full review here:

Bob Platypire
Apr 28, 2016 rated it liked it
*I was gifted a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

2.5

This is a super short story about the end of the unicorns. While it was interesting, I find myself left with questions. So many, many questions...it feels incomplete.

Bob says: 2.5 stars
Jordan (The Heart of a Book Blogger)
Krim Du Shaw is a short story about how unicorns became extinct. The writing was not bad, but I just didn’t like or enjoy the story. For being only six pages long, I had to really push myself to finish this story.

*This copy was provided to me by author in exchange for a honest review.*
Sasha
Mar 23, 2016 rated it liked it
This is the first short story I’ve ever read and I have to say that I don’t know if I like them… The story was so short that I didn’t have time to get into it, but I did still like this fable.
Dennis