Start by marking “The Rampart Guards (The Adventures of Jason Lex, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Rampart Guards (The Adventures of Jason Lex, #1)

The Rampart Guards

(The Adventures of Jason Lex #1)

After his mom disappears, Jason Lex and his family move to a small town where he has no friends, no fun, no life. Things get worse when he’s chased by weird flying creatures that only he can see---Jason thinks he’s losing it.

But when Jason discovers new information about his family, he’s stunned to learn that creatures like Skyfish, Kappa, and the Mongolian Death Worm aren
Published February 26th 2016 by Camashea Press

To ask other readers questions about The Rampart Guards, please sign up.
Wendy Terrien Hi, Yusuf! So sorry I missed your note earlier! Thanks for saying hi, and I'm so glad you enjoyed The Rampart Guards. :) And I love that your shared…moreHi, Yusuf! So sorry I missed your note earlier! Thanks for saying hi, and I'm so glad you enjoyed The Rampart Guards. :) And I love that your shared your Bigfoot film. I've told lots of people about it, and how nice you were to share with everyone.
Happy 2017!
Wendy(less)
Wendy Terrien Thanks, Maryam! I really appreciate it. (And sorry I didn't see this note earlier. For some reason it didn't show up on my page until recently.)

Wendy

Wendy Terrien
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Yes, I quite love this book. And, yes, I also wrote it. So this is a biased review. :)
Corinne
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can't wait for Book 2! A fabulous start to what promises to be an exciting series. I was lucky to read an ARC of this one. Couldn't put it down!! This is a super fun story with fabulous characters. Jason Lex is thrown into a marvelous adventure when his mom goes missing, his family moves, and he starts seeing things that nobody else can see. I love how the author has brought the world of cryptozoology into this story with an awesome fantasy-plausible explanation for us in the real world to ponde ...more
Susan Brooks
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Rampart Guards is a well-written adventure story that kept me turning the pages. Wendy Terrien does a fantastic job of creating believable, yet emotionally vulnerable characters that readers will connect with. The pages are tension-filled and magical, and will intrigue readers of all ages. Well done!

Philip Carroll
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I felt this book took a few chapters to get up to speed, but once it did, I was all in. The writing was consistently good. Conflicts and reveals kept a good momentum. An array of characters were easy to like and relate to. Quite a thrilling ending.
I listened on audio and thought the narrator did a good job, though I thought the uncle and grandmother sounded very much like each other. I would imagine that was because they were related, but sometimes I confused them.
I recommend this book on audio
Arun
Aug 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
What a bland, uninteresting book! I can't find a single positive thing to write about this book. Protagonist Jason and his family are annoying af, with Jason being little more than a diluted Percy Jackson-Electro combo. The uncle's dog has more action sequences than our hero!

The titular Rampart is never fully described. The cryptids, that drew me to the book in the first place, are also not described at all and hardly have any role in the book, apart from a couple of boring re-appearances scatte
Sabrina
Jun 21, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was a bit slow to start and it took quite a long time before there was any mention of the Rampart from the title of the book. After that if got far more interesting.
Jason thought life was pretty simple until his mother disappears and his father moves them to another town to be closer to the rest of their family. Then he learns there is far more to the world than he ever could have imagined. Strange creatures and other dimensions, Jason has powers he never would have dreamed of.
Yusuf_BigfootHunter
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
AWESOME!
Sophia (Bookwyrming Thoughts)

I received this book for free from Roger Charlie in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

The Rampart Guards basically made me realize that I'm definitely growing out of middle grade books and I should move on. This is an extremely scary thought, because what if I get tired of young adult books next?! That probably won't happen for a good while, and I've yet to actually read an adult novel that isn't from the cause of required re

Erik This Kid Reviews Books
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Synopsis- Jason’s life has taken a turn for the worse – his mom disappeared. They sold their house and moved to a small town where everyone knows everything and everyone. The town’s crazy guy just so happens to be his uncle that he never knew existed. And there are these things that only Jason can see. But what if the things, the cryptids, are only on the edge of our reality? And what if they were at the point of breaking through the invisible barrier? And what if that would kill every human?

Wha
diana
Mar 03, 2016 rated it liked it
I am not usually a reader of the Middle Grade genre but I was given a chance to read this book and I couldn't say no. (Who says no to reading and books anyway?!?)

This was an okay book. I had fun reading about Jason's family and his adventures. But I didn't feel much connection with him. It's not that I didn't like him. He's actually pretty likable and he's not overly whiny or dramatic like some hero/heroine I know. It's probably because I can't imagine myself in his shoes. It felt more like I'm
L.R. Braden
May 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
Really, I'd like to give this a 3.5
When I picked this book up, I assumed it was young adult. I latter found people calling it middle grade. Having finished it, I still feel like it falls pretty solidly in young adult, due to teenage characters, violence, and plot twists.
The story itself was fun, I enjoyed reading it, and the writing was good. There were a couple places that felt like they came together a little too quickly (like Jason pairing up with Sadie), and a few loose ends tied up at the e
Michelle VanDaley
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
My review is based on the Audiobook: The Rampart Guards: Chronicle One in the Adventures of Jason Lex was a fun enjoyable listen. I loved to hear about the all of the interesting strange characters that Jason and his strange Uncle encountered. Brian Callanan did a great job as narrator. This is Chronicle One so it will be interesting to see where the series heads after this.
Wendy Terrien
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I quite enjoyed this book, and yes I also wrote it, so this is a biased review. :)
Heather
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible-read
After 14 year old Jason Lex's mom disappears one night and is presumed dead, his family is uprooted and moved to the small town of Salton, Idaho. Jason leaves everything behind, his school, his friends, and any hope of seeing his mom again. Once in Salton, he starts to see mysterious creatures in the sky that no one else can see, sparkling streamers that seem to be trying to hurt his family. When Jason meets a man in town with a connection to him, he's told that all the mythical creatures like B ...more
Martha
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an engaging middle grade/young teen fantasy adventure.

Jason Lex is just a young teen when his mother disappears. His father moves the family, Jason, his older brother, Kyle, and his younger sister, Della, to a new town near his grandmother and uncle. Jason is struggling and things get worse when he begins to see swarming fish diving at him in the sky. His father warns Jason away from his Uncle Alexander, his mother’s sister, who studies cryptozoology and is known for strange behaviors.

Sl
Claire
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I found the idea behind this story really interesting, the idea of the rampart protecting humanity from other beings is not an idea I've come across before and this story is well written.

I was a bit unsettled by the age of the hero, he's only 14 for most of the story and experiences things that no 14 year old should so I didn't really like that aspect, but everything else worked for me.

The narration is well done, good character voices and the delivery was engaging.

I received a free copy of this
Rosemary Hughes
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A very innovative story, that unravels just as all good stories should, answering the readers unasked questions, and giving a look at the scenario from various characters perspective. I appreciated the audio rendition of each character, making it more like an old time radio play.
I am looking forward to the next book in the series. I highly recommend this book for anyone wanting suspense, drama and supernatural themes.
Finley
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book for many reasons. The first is the new take on traditional magic in books; the author uses the dark reality of what would really happen if magic was real. The second reason I liked it was because it kept me on the edge of my seat, and I never knew what was going to happen next. I would recommend this book to anyone age 10+, who likes action/magic books.
Luanna Helena
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From its gut wrenching beginning to surprising ending, Wendy Terrien’s The Rampart Guards is packed with action, adventure, and unexpected twists to its very unique plot. After turning page after page to keep up with Jason Lex, his family, friends, and near invincible enemies, readers will definitely have to check out the series’ remaining books as well.
Melissa Stacy
The main character of "The Rampart Guards" is a teenager named Jason. He celebrates his fourteenth birthday in the opening pages of this book, so I don't know whether that makes this fantasy a Young Adult novel or middle grade fiction. It was sold to me as middle grade fiction, and it reads as middle grade, but I'm still unsure. Fourteen seems like YA territory to me, but maybe readers are so used to YA novels that star sixteen-year-old protagonists, fourteen doesn't qualify for the marketing de ...more
T.H. Leatherman
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Skyfish are Real

Jason has had it rough. His mom has disappeared. His dad has given up on finder her and they are moving away from all of his friends. Things can't get much worse. Unless, of course you count losing your mind. Jason has started seeing things, and those things can see him too.

Jason discovers a whole world hidden from most of humanity. A world filled with incredible and dangerous creature. Beings that wield such power, that a mere touch could incinerate the unwary. It will be up to
Kelly Hoggons (Velvet Library)
Mar 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Middle grade fantasy fans
The Rampart Guards is the first book in The Adventures of Jason Lex, a new urban fantasy series by author Wendy Terrien. The series was inspired by an episode of Bones, where the killer is believed to be a chupacabra, a fabled cryptid. After watching, Terrien was inspired to research cryptozoology - the study of animals who may or may not exist. That set the wheels in motion for The Rampart Guards.

I'll be honest, I found the beginning of this book a bit meh. I felt like not much happened for the
TheBookNutBlog
Originally posted on booklovingnut.com3 Nuts

This book is fun. It's a enjoyable read, certainly light than a lot of the stuff I've been reading lately. Or at least it seems that way. It's probably not something I would have picked up if it wasn't offered for review, nor is it what I would call great. It's just good. It's fine.

The main character's mother goes missing. I think we know where it's going to go from there, most books that use this trope are pretty similar. I will agree though that this one
Melissa Josef
Mar 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Are you bemused by Bigfoot, nuts about Nessie, and fascinated with faeries? Mystical and mysterious creatures have captured our imagination since humans first began to swap stories over campfires. The world of unexplained and unverified lifeforms now falls under its own fringe scientific category – cryptozoology. Debut author Wendy Terrien has her own ideas about this secret world and has turned them into an action-packed, magical mystery.

When Jason Lex arrives home with his dad and siblings fro
Ceres95
Mar 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
I’m not a middle grade genre but I like some and this one is good, there is a lot of actions, some mysteries and family problems.
The Lex family is composed by the mother, the father, two sons, Kyle and Jason and a daughter Della. I won’t tell you the story because the synopsis is enough but there is some family bond in the story and maybe you can trust anyone.
I like Jason, he is mature for his age, and he’s only fourteen years old and has a lot on his shoulder. He sees things and he’s talking
Mary
Mar 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Jason's home life is upended when his mother suddenly disappears. It isn't long before his dad moves him, his sister Della, and his brother Kyle to the small town of Salton, where he meets his eccentric Uncle Alexander. Grieving and frustrated with all the changes, the last thing Jason needs is to find out about a long-held family secret, and that he could be the key to protecting the people he loves. Jason may just be a special guardian, tasked with protecting the Rampart, a protective divider ...more
Tierney
Feb 07, 2016 rated it liked it

Ask me to read a book where Mongolian Death Worms are real? Sign me up because I’m in. While there are, admittedly, less of the cryptids than I’d like in a book about the mythologies that go bump in the night being real, I had a good time reading The Rampart Guards by Wendy Terrien.
Definitely a book I would recommend to middle grade teachers or anyone with twelve to fourteen year olds in their house looking for something to read. It’s on the shorter side, has some interesting twists, and makes
Kristen Chandler
Mar 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Rampart Guards was an awesome book! I was actually not familiar with cryptozoology at all. This was my first time hearing about it. One of the things I actually love about this book is the backstory of the book. The idea came from an episode of a tv show that the author watched. I just thought that was so cool.

Wendy Terrien is, without a doubt, a talented writer. The writing, storyline, character development, all were impeccable.

And much to my delight, another fresh idea in the paranormal g
Arpita Dash
Feb 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
With strong character development and intriguing imaginative world ‘The Rampart Guard’ by Wendy Terrien is definitely distinctive. The cover of this book doesn’t make it look appealing. So, simple tip, don’t judge a book by its cover.

The author has great command over the words; she has created an intrigue world which seems more realistic. The character of Jason, a fourteen year old kid is well portrayed. He dealt with many obstacles and finally embraced the truth, which destiny had decided for h
Isobel Radakovic
3.5 stars.
This book was so interesting! I had no idea a job like cryptozoology even existed, but now I do and I loved reading about it. The premise of this book is so unique and the action gripped me from start to finish.

Jason as a protagonist was great as he felt like someone who wouldn't normally be the main character of a story. However, that just made me like him more as he felt so relatable.

I really enjoyed the fact that this book focuses so heavily on family and how this big tradition of b
Indie Authors Mon...: Free Urban Fantasy eBook! 1 9 Feb 24, 2016 12:01PM
Parents of Tweens...: The Rampart Guards (MG/YA Urban Fantasy) 1 5 Feb 24, 2016 11:55AM

• Fade To Black (The Weir Chronicles #1)
  • Heart Of The Goblin King (The Realm Trilogy Book 1)
  • In the Mind of Revenge
  • The Lords of Valdeon (Heart Of The Warrior, #1)
  • Dark Goddess (Alpha Goddess #2)
  • Ghosts of Witches Past (Witches of Tower Hill, #1)
  • The Road to Epoli (Rickety Stitch and the Gelatinous Goo #1)
  • Beyond the Empire (The Indranan War, #3)
  • The Enterprise of Death
  • The Voodoo Killings (Kincaid Strange, #1)
  • Tracer (Outer Earth #1)
  • The Lightning Queen
  • Medusa Uploaded (The Medusa Cycle, #1)
  • Clash of Eagles (Clash of Eagles, #1)
  • Gunpowder Moon
  • Pacifica
  • The Cruelty (The Cruelty, #1)
  • Love Songs & Other Lies
Wendy Terrien received her first library card at age two, and a few years later started writing her own stories. Her debut novel, The Rampart Guards (February 2016), earned a Kirkus starred review and was named to Kirkus Reviews’ Best Books of 2016. The novel is a Foreword INDIES Book of the Year Award Finalist, a Next Generation Indies Award Finalist, and is the first in her intriguing urban fant ...more