Start by marking “The Other Side of the Season” as Want to Read:
The Other Side of the Season

The Other Side of the Season

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  96 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Everything has a reflection...And there's another side to every story

When offering to drive her brother to Byron Bay to escape the bitter Blue Mountain's winter, Sidney neglects to mention her planned detour to the small seaside town of Watercolour Cove.

Thirty-five years earlier, Watercolour Cove is a very different place. Two brothers are working the steep, snake-infested
Published May 1st 2016 by Simon & Schuster AU

To ask other readers questions about The Other Side of the Season, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Other Side of the Season

Carol -  Reading Writing and Riesling
Apr 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Love your writing Jenn

My View:
Jenn J McLeod’s writing is just going from strength to strength. Her latest book is complex with sensitively written contemporary issues regarding identity, family, truth and abuse of children in care gently woven into the multi layered narrative. Jenn’s gentle approach lets readers enjoy the narrative and mysteries absorbing the issues without schoolmarmish lessons being given.

The settings are exquisitely Australian, I love the area around Coffs Harbour/Sapphire b
MarciaB - Book Muster Down Under
First published at: http://bookmusterdownunder.blogspot.c...

“As I peer through the window, Of lost time, Looking over my yesterdays, Through the mirror of my mind, Time after time, I see reflections of you and me …Reflections of the way life used to be” – Diana Ross and The Supremes

The Other Side of the Season is Jenn J. McLeod’s fourth novel in her Seasons Collection (which are all stand-alone novels) but this, perhaps, could be her best yet. As usual, Jenn’s capabilities managed to sweep me aw
Jenny
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Other Side of the Season is how love and family can heal two people and allow them to find each other again. Sydney Hill and her brother Jake decided to go to Byron Bay for work. However, Sydney had another idea in mind to find their grandfather at Watercolour Cove. Sydney did not realise that this detour would affect so many lives. The readers of The Other Side of the Season will continue to follow Sydney and Jake to see what happens.

The Other Side of the Season is the first book I have re
Dale Harcombe
Apr 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is another book telling stories in two time frames and you know that in time they will connect somehow. One is present day with Sidney and her brother Jake, who are on route to Byron Bay. What Jake does not know till later is that Sidney has a plan to stop off and find out more about their family since their mother will never talk about the past. Sidney, who has just broken up with Damien after seven years together, is desperate for any information about her family she can find. Sidney and ...more
Jill Robertson
Jul 04, 2017 rated it liked it
'The Other Side of the Season' by Australian author Jenn J McLeod is another story in the family secrets/dual time genre. It moved along nicely between the present and the 1970s, the tropical northern NSW setting pulled you in, and most of the characters were believable, apart from the excruciating Tilly. The ending disappointed me as a specific climaxing incident that occurred did not really have to happen and seemed too manipulative on the part of the author.
Maggie
Jan 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another masterpiece by Jenn J McLeod. I really enjoyed this book which focussed on first love and the importance of family. It is a complex tale set in a delightful part of Australia. The skill of the author is evident in the strong emotions she aroused in me regarding the characters and in the unexpected conclusion. Highly recommended.
Sonia Bellhouse
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I find dual timeline stories intriguing and in reading this one I felt as though I had hit the jackpot. Both the times chosen were interesting, the 1970s and the present day.For me, the characters were real, flawed and complex. Some were instantly relatable while others were harder to appreciate. This book played with my emotions( in a good way) as I cared about the characters. It was one of those books that I both wanted to finish and equally one that I didn't want to end. The landscape is a p ...more
Angela
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A delightful read, full of sweet moments, some sad and pensive ones, and a welcoming underlying humor.
Undeniably there is another side to each story. So far my Jenn McLeod’s favorite book.
Lily Malone
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
A lovely end to the Seasons Collection, and I'm so glad to have read every one.
For me, I'm going to pick Simmering Season as the book I liked best, so while this one isn't going to be my favourite, it has been a great hit with reviewers here and on Amazon.
Jenn has a great way of putting words on the page that make for easy reading, and enjoyable characters. In this book I particularly liked Sidney's brother Jake, and his love interest Pearl... but my favourite scene involved Sidney with a fisher
Cai
The Other Side of the Season is the first book of Jenn’s I have read. I won it through a Facebook competition held by another author and am incredibly happy that I have. I love a good Aussie book by a good Aussie author and strive to try and support Aussie talent where I can.

This book was incredibly hard to put down. I found myself constantly cursing anything that made me put the book down. Makes me miss the days where I could sit around all-day and read. It was so easy to read and even though t
Simone
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: aww-2016
It's always great when an author you really enjoy produces a book a year - it means you never have to wait too long for their next instalment. As for the past few years, Jenn's latest book was on my "must read" list for the year and, like the last three, The Other Side Of The Season did not disappoint. Given the "Season" in the title I thought it might tie in with Jenn's previous three books, but it is actually a complete stand alone with no connection to her other books. I didn't mind that, in ...more
Brenda
Sidney Hill and her brother Jake arrived at Watercolour Cove with Jake unaware his sister had decided on the detour before Byron Bay. They had left the Blue Mountains and their mother for a holiday after Sidney’s heartbreaking split from her boyfriend of seven years, Damien. In leaving, she had also lost her job and her home – she felt now was a good time to do some research into her family’s past as her mother refused to discuss it.

In 1979, thirty five years prior to Sidney and Jake’s arrival i
Deborah
May 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
The two threads of this novel unfold almost in parallel: as siblings Sid and Jake arrive in Watercolour Cove in the present time; we simultaneously meet the wealthy Greenhill family and their neighbours on banana plantations in 1979.

I inhaled much of this book – wanting to know more about Sidney and the unfolding family drama around her. But then things changed… *cue dramatic music*

As it happens my main qualm with the book isn’t really anything to do with the writing or characters… but rather th
Monique Mulligan
May 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Jenn J McLeod draws past and present into a heart-wrenching climax in The Other Side of the Season, leaving readers with a bittersweet mix of sadness and hope. While some of the storyline fell into place early on, Jenn saved one big shock for last. Part of me knew it was coming, and I felt this sense of dread as I read the final chapters, not wanting to be right, but sensing it was how it had to be.

As always, Jenn shows her love for this country through her setting, but this time the strength of
Anne Peachey
May 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
The Other Side of the Season by Jenn J McLeod is a wonderfully written book.
This book follows a timeline from 1979 and 2016 and flows effortlessly backwards and forwards and shows how the main characters are intertwined.
There is laughter, love, loss and tragedy.
McLeod has written beautifully, not only the light and happiness, she describes the dark parts of her book with understanding that is very believable.
Descriptions of the scenery and artwork shows her passion for beautiful things.
Jenn
Natalie  S
Dec 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Other Side of the Season is a mysterious, Australian novel set near Byron Bay. It’s the fourth book by Australian author, Jenn J McLeod and it’s basically like an onion. As you read the prose it’s like another layer is slowly stripped away to reveal something more and slightly different. The Other Side of the Season is a heart-warming tale that proves that there are often multiple sides to a story and that each perspective is often as valid and as important as the other.

To read the rest of t
Anna
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another wonderful tale from Jenn McLeod. I enjoyed it from start to finish. Fast-paced without losing any emotional punch, this is a story that will sweep you away and keep you turning pages. Interesting well drawn characters and a gripping plot. I devoured it in a few sittings. Absolutely loved it. Well done Jenn!
Kathryn
Apr 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
The lives of one generation shape the next, but there may be more than one side to the story, in this novel by Australian author Jenn J McLeod.

A longer review will be published on my blog, Kathryn's Inbox, in late April 2016.

Thank you to Simon and Schuster Australia for providing me with an ARC.
Abby Nancarrow grimshaw
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
It was a great read not to keen on the mother but she redeemed herself by the end of the book.
Kay Graves
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
After a slow start i really enjoyed this book. Sad and real. Loved the main characters
Taryn
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have enjoyed all of Jenn's stories, but her latest is a stand-out. It flows beautifully between past and present as the heartbreaking family saga unfolds. I loved it!
Sandy Vaile
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sidney is on a mission to uncover a family mystery, but afraid of what she will find in the tiny town of Watercolor Cove.

I enjoyed watching Sidney uncover the truth about where her mother came from, at the same time she discovered what she really wanted in life. But a tragedy that divided the local community many years ago threatens to unravel her dreams.

There were some great characters in this story, all with very different personalities and life outlooks, and I particularly enjoyed seeing life
Elise McCune
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jenn J McLeod writes about small towns and in ‘The Other Side of the Season’ she writes about the lovely Blue Mountains and a place called Watercolour Cove. For a start I love the title and the cover is compelling and it didn’t take me long to feel I knew siblings Sidney and Jack who travel to Watercolour Cove from their mountain home. I always enjoy books where the past impacts on the present and that is what I found in The Other Side of the Season. Jenn McLeod paints a picture of the beautiful ...more
Claire
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved this story, Jenn J. McLeod has a way of writing that draws you in and engages you with the characters lives. A story about family, searching for family and adventure I definitely recommend reading it
Tanya Boulter
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. was not expecting what happened towards the end.
Michelle
This is the 4th book in the Seasons collection though they aren’t really a series. The books stand just as well on their own, and I am still yet to read the first two but I do really want to.

The Other Side of the Season is set in a different location to the first books as well, this time we are off to the Blue Mountains and a little town close to Byron Bay called Watercolour Cove.

McLeod has again woven two timelines into a suspenseful and intriguing story that kept me captivated, it also kept my
Ann-Marie
May 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Other Side of the Season to me is Jenn’s best work so far. It almost seems that the other three novels have been just a teaser of Jenn’s talent.

To me this book is more drama and intrigue with a touch of a love story compared to her other books.

There is a single page at the front which seems to not fit anywhere when you first read it but as you go along there comes a time when all becomes clear and shows there is another side to every story.

It’s 2015 Sidney and Jake are two siblings looking
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
May 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-books
The Other Side of the Season is Australian author Jenn J McLeod’s fourth novel. I firmly believe that after having the pleasure of reading Jenn’s previous works, this release is easily her best work yet. The Other Side of the Season is a novel that places McLeod as Australia’s premier contemporary fiction novelists.
Following on from her ‘seasons’ theme, which McLeod has covered in her previous three novels, McLeod’s latest novel hints at how the shift in seasons can imprint on our life experienc
Rowena Holloway
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
McLeod delivers a story packed with pathos, Aussie wit and a great sense of place.

At the heart of this story are children—wanted or unwanted, loved or discarded. The treatment of children in care and the way unwed mothers were treated thirty-five years ago is woven into character and story in a way that gets under your skin.

In The Other Side of the Season the main characters are vibrant and so real you feel you could sit down and talk with them—or, as is the case with Tilly, give them a talkin
Janine
May 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-review
This novel tells the story of Sidney and her brother Jake who are heading up the NSW coast to Byron Bay. They get as far as the banana growing area of Coffs Harbour called Watercolour Cove and Sidney is on a mission to discover information about her family and her grandfather, who is imprisoned in the jail in the area. The story is told in different time periods, past, middle and present. There are so many likeable characters in this book, each with a past. Sidney is recovering from a break-up w ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Jenn J McLeod loves ticking things off her bucket list. So far she’s made that sea change, run that country B&B, and written that bestseller. In 2014, Jenn downsized her life and home is now a 3-tonne, 25-foot caravan named Myrtle the Turtle.

With her Seasons Collection of four novels already adored by readers, Australia’s nomadic novelist is finding inspiration for more heart-warming small to
More about Jenn J. McLeod

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • As Close to Us as Breathing: A Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Father's Day
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
  • The Wednesday Sisters
  • Allie and Bea
  • After the War Is Over: A Novel
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Shanghai Girls (Shanghai Girls #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • All the Summer Girls
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Girl From the Train
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Winds (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #3)
  • If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This