Start by marking “Coexist” as Want to Read:
Coexist

Coexist

Jane Hays has been told all her life that it’s dangerous to be out in the forest past sundown. At fifteen, she’s quite sure that it’s all old wives’ tales... yet, why does her village bar the gates every night? Why do they even have gates? When she is caught in an unexpected rainstorm on her way home, Jane ignores all the warnings and seeks shelter in a cottage in the midd ...more
ebook
Published March 31st 2016 by Anna Tan

To ask other readers questions about Coexist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coexist

Dianne
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fairy tales, we’ve all heard them, read them and know they happen in a magical land filled with creatures who may or may not look like us. They all have one thing in common, they are magical, they have good people and very bad people and there is conflict that must be resolved for a happy ending.

Welcome to Anna Tan’s world, where the title tells its own story. Coexist is a sweet tale with a hidden lesson in there, filled with centaurs, sprites, humans, elves and an ogre or two, as well as so man
Clare O'Beara
A lot of chopping and changing in this short fantasy. It's set in Britain varying from the 1800s to 1900s with no explanation. And a character has to find Baba Yaga, who is a Central European myth, not a British one.

Expect adlets - half human, half dog - dryads, centaurs and elves, with more to come. All because a girl was late getting home from picking herbs. The humans in the tale seemed to be only reacting, not changing anything nor themselves, and everything or everyone else seemed to want
Georgia Tumbleweed McNabb
Loved this Story!

I found this story to be a wounderfull telling about how we humans should never give up stories about magic and the Otherworldly beings.
Agnes Ong
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Coexist is a story of 15-year-old Jane Hays who is lost and stranded in a forest after dark. She soon discovers the truth behind the old wives' tales about the forest. In her quest to find her way back home, she uncovers the mystery behind her true identity.

Anna's novella reminds me of Stardust by Neil Gaiman. It filled me with wonder as I read about the many amazing and mythical fairy and magical creatures which fantasy genre lovers will be familiar with. She managed to cleverly use these many
Robyn Gaye-Murphy
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Coexist by Anna Tan is a lovely fairytale about many different species all trying to live as best they can but not trying very hard or even knowing how to get along until one young girl Jane goes into the woods searching for herbs to make her unwell mother's medicine and then wanted to return home but had to shelter overnight from the rain. She found a house in the forest, empty but with a fire warmly glowing. She settled there comfortably and met the owner when he returned home himself out of t ...more
Willow Woodford
Mar 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Anna Tan’s tale Coexist was a step away from my usual reads. A young adult fantasy novel, it drew me in from the beginning. I’ll admit that at first I had trouble following the story, but I attribute this to my lack of experience with the fantasy genre because once I caught on I was drawn in and mesmerized by her story. I read this in a single sitting while I was waiting for my daughter to finish up work, it took me a little under three hours but I am a fast reader.
I loved the fact that Tan dra
Jennifer Hernandez
Dec 05, 2017 rated it liked it
There was a lot of imagination in this book, but it felt disjointed. If you don't make sure to read the chapter headers you can get lost pretty quick because it jumps between decades at the drop of a hat. There isn't really a chance to get into any one character since it constantly switches points of view. But it was creative.
Patricia Lynne
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read this on the author's blog during the A to Z Challenge. it's an amazing fantasy with unique characters and a few shout out to JRR Tolkien. it's been fleshed out, but that also made it a little choppy feeling.
Patricia
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was an amazing reading. I though I knew where the story was going when I started reading it, but I had no idea. So much happens in the tale, there are many interesting characters and there is this enchanted feeling that makes me smile.
Susan Lee
Jan 29, 2016 rated it liked it
An enjoyable read with an interesting Narnia-ish magical realm.

You can read my honest review here:
Nancy
Jul 22, 2016 rated it liked it
This was a good book how ever I do wish the author had done more to make it more interesting. I look forward to reading more of this author's work.
MJ Smitherino
Jun 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
The writing is fantastic. It kept me engaged and turning the pages. I did not understand why the dates are important or significant. Did not feel as though that added much to the story. The characters are good characters, and the story was interesting enough to get me to power through it in a day.

Basically, a really well-written fairy tale, if a bit predictable.
Della Jackson
Jan 08, 2018
Paula
Jun 28, 2018
Anna Tan
Jan 09, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-books
Kelly
Feb 14, 2017
Veronique Krüger
Feb 19, 2017
Anna Tan grew up in Malaysia, the country that is not Singapore. In 2015, she traded in a life of annoying other bean counters for one of annoying the online world with questions about life and death and everything in between. The answer is sometimes 42. Sometimes they try to eat you.

When she is not writing or nitpicking over other writers' copy, she can be found reading a book or attempting to or