Start by marking “Worthy” as Want to Read:
Worthy

Worthy

Seventeen-year-old Worthy lives in a house full of secrets where everyone dutifully plays their role. She copes by creating outlandish dreams of a bright future and relying on her wits. In the summer of 1946, her father is accused of a sensational murder. Her plans to get out of Hogan’s Creek suddenly become tied up in a reckless yet exciting pursuit of truth and ...more
ebook
Published December 31st 2015 by Smashwords Edition

To ask other readers questions about Worthy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Worthy

Start your review of Worthy
Tommie Moore
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was such an intriguing book. I found myself unable to put it down and finished it in a couple of days. Even though I am from the same general area I had never heard of the Melungeons.This people and the local history was well researched and so informative.The issues Worthy encountered are still applicable to young women in the 21st-century.This is a great read for a general audience.
Gilda Friedman
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A captivating,easy to read book about my local area and people of whom I had no knowledge. Having grown up in similar surroundings and timeframe,I found the descriptions true to form. This book was not only delightful to read about a young girl who finds she can live up to her name WORTHY but inspired me to do research on the Melungeon people as well as other points of interest.
Melissa
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult, mystery, realistic
I probably would have liked this more if I'd read it quicker and kept myself engaged in the story. I read it so sporadically I didn't get really attached to any characters or the story.
Linda Merryman
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
I first read a sample chapter of Worthy and it left me feeling like I'd had one bite of cheesecake. I wanted more. Carla Harper excels in characterization. She paints a vivid canvas of a world not so long ago, yet unfamiliar and quaint, drawing the reader into another time as only a well written book can do.

This story doesn't fit neatly into a particular genre or category. Instead, we find coming-of-age awareness, we take a step into the shadowed world of bi-racial tensions in the Appalachians
Catherine Nettles
Jun 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a great story. I didn't want it to end! Loved the characters and history. Worthy, the main character is so cool. Even though she is only 17, I want to be like her.
Suzanne Landstrom
rated it did not like it
Sep 29, 2016
Carla G.
Sep 11, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommended to Carla by: http://www.carlagharper.com/store/