Start by marking “Three Minutes (Grens & Sundkvist, #7)” as Want to Read:
Three Minutes (Grens & Sundkvist, #7)

Three Minutes

(Ewert Grens #7)

The long-awaited, stand-alone sequel to The New York Times bestselling novel Three Seconds--now a major motion picture starring Joel Kinnaman
Presumed dead by the Stockholm police, master criminal and undercover informant Piet Hoffmann is now on the run from the Swedish authorities, living with his wife and two young sons under an assumed name in Cali, Colombia. Only
Published July 25th 2017 by Quercus (first published June 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Three Minutes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three Minutes

Start your review of Three Minutes (Grens & Sundkvist, #7)
Paul
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-thrillers
3 Minutes A Fantastic Thriller

3 Minutes is the sequel to the bestselling 3 Seconds but this book can be read as a standalone thriller, you certainly do not need to know what went before. The Swedish writing duo of Roslund and Hellstrom really know how to grip the read and keep them all the way to the end on tenterhooks. This is a rollercoaster of a ride, well written, and shows what many of us already know, the United States ability of taking a sledgehammer to a Brazil nut and when its smash to
Skip
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
Another excellent thriller, 4.5 stars. Piet Hoffman fled Sweden after faking his death in prison to become an undercover agent for the DEA, insinuating himself with cartel enforcer, El Mestizo. Meanwhile, the Speaker of the US House of Representatives is on a personal crusade to stop the import of drugs from Colombia, after the related death of his daughter. A bad decision to tour a drug kitchen site leads to the slaughter of his protective detail, and his kidnapping. The U.S. puts the entire ...more
Wilde Sky
May 14, 2018 rated it liked it
An undercover agent is targeted when war is declared on drugs barons.

This was definitely a roller coaster ride of a story, very well written, entertaining and with a cast of morally ambiguous characters. But it was simply too far fetched and about three quarters of the way I started to really struggle to suspend my disbelief, plus I found this book a bit on the long side.

Overall rating 3.5
Bruce Hatton
I don't normally read international thrillers, so wasn't initially aware that this was the 7th book in a continuing series. However, I found it worked well enough on its own as any relevant backstory on the central characters is given in the opening chapters.
This story centres around ex-convict Piet Hoffmann who now works as a double agent in Colombia; ostensibly as a bodyguard to a major drug-runner, although in reality in the employ of both U.S. and Swedish security services.
When a bumbling,
Jay Dwight
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Haven't read any of the other works by Roslund & Hellstrom so didn't know the back story of the recurring characters, but that had no impact on my level of enagagement with the story.

I also didn't read any of the jacket blurb before launching in, and was thinking this would be a typical Scandi police procedural, so quite a surprise. Although Swedish police are at the heart of the novel, most of the action takes place in Columbia, with a focus on the drug trade. The plot was totally
Jessica Bronder
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Piet Hoffmann faked his death in a prison and is now on the run. He has been given a new name and along with his family been relocated to Columbia. Piet now works for a cocaine boss called El Sueco but is also a DEA informant. To make his role look believable he was added to the FBIs Most Wanted list. But then an American Chairman of the House of Representatives, Thomas D. Cruise, goes on a war against drugs after the death of his daughter. But when Thomas gets to Columbia he gets himself ...more
Tony Nielsen
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Anders Roslund and Borge Hellstrom are Swedish crime writers, Roslund with a journalistic background while Hellstrom is an ex-crim. Three Minutes is their sixth book to be published in English and it's a ripper. Most of the action is based around Colombia's cocaine trade but this is a complex thriller, with a Swedish national, and a former agent, Piet Hoffman, now essentially under cover for the American DEA. He is bodyguard and second in charge to a ruthless drug trader, Metizo.

Hoffman is on
Gloria Feit
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing

This carefully constructed novel combines all the elements of an extraordinary tour de force: cocaine, drug cartels, political and police duplicity and sympathy for a criminal. It is the story of Piet Hoffman, known as El Sueco, a Swede who escaped from a long prison sentence while serving in a Swedish prison and now living a double life in Colombia with his wife and two sons, serving two masters: a honcho known as El Mestizo of the Colombian cocaine cartel and a DEA informer.

Add to the plot the
Varrick Nunez
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I picked this title up strictly based on the author's names and I continue to enjoy Scandinavian authors like Stieg Larsson, Henning Mankell & Jo Nesbo, among others. I finished it because it turned out to be quite a page-turner, a sort of "Jack Reacher" or "Mission: Impossible" -type thriller.

I realized after a bit (like a hundred pages, so I'm slow to come aware at times) that this title depends a bit on previous outings for the characters. I will have to have a look at "3 Seconds" and
Kate
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Piet's death in a Swedish prison was faked, he's now undercover working for the DEA in Colombia. He has embedded himself very deeply into the organization and is trusted by El Mestizo, one of the bosses of this operation. I could not put this book down, the intrigue and back doors and cover-ups were so well done, I couldn't predict what would happen next. I was also afraid something would go wrong at the drop of a hat. And things did go wrong, which really puts you on the edge of your seat. Well ...more
Anne Robinson
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was an excellent thriller. Although I have put it into my Scandi folder, it took place mainly in Colombia and was heavily related to the drugs trade. Very well written, totally gripping and with great characters. I will definitely read more books by this pair as the two I have read so far have been wonderful to read. Highly recommended. ...more
Marti Knight
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fast-paced, duplicitous characters, double-cross followed by double-cross with another double-cross. Read like an action movie. Loved it.
Patrick O'Hannigan
This crime thriller is as good as the best work by Robert Crais, and that's saying something. I hadn't read anything else in the Grens & Sundkvist series when I found this, but I will seek out other novels in that series now.

"Three Minutes" does a good job of lending context to the drug trade, and what it's done in both "producing" countries like Coloumbia and "consuming" countries like Sweden and the United States.
Susan
Feb 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: swedish
A roller coaster of a book about a Swedish informant/spy/conspirator in the international drug trade who finds himself in Colombia to avoid arrest in Sweden. The tale is long and tortuous, too tortuous for me sometimes. Our character (whose name changes depending on who he's hiding out from) engages in long, complex maneuvers to save his life and that of his family. Makes clear why I could never be a spy or a conspirator - too much technology even for this reader.
Nicholas Kinsey
Mar 24, 2019 rated it liked it
This is the second novel I've read from these Swedish authors. It's rather sensational stuff and borderline believable. I kind of lost interest when the main character Piet Hoffman becomes a Swedish James Bond rescuing the American Speaker of the House from a jungle prison and then scuba diving to a US Navy vessel in the Caribbean. There is a lack of authenticity when you go down this road of invincible male characters possessing incredible technology.
Karen Sturzenacker
Mar 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another well-written crime drama where the good guys aren't so good, and the bad guys aren't all that bad.

Complex relationships and entanglements are par for the course in this Piet Hoffman-focused novel.

As with the prior book, the human elements of each character make for a riveting, better-than-your-average crime novel.
Phil Teves
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime
Another great book from these guys. Different twist on the Grens saga. Doesnt read like one of their normal novels. Couldve been written by a Tom Clancy ghost writer. Still highly recommended with lots of twist and turns. ...more
Jóhannes
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great thriller, just as good as three seconds

I thoroughly enjoyed the book. In fact I couldn't put it down except to sleep. Recommended for anyone who enjoyed the previous three seconds.
Studvet
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
A 4.5. Highly readable, gripping and complex so the evolving details themselves provide the intrigue and evolving tension. Not read one moderate book by this author and probable the best of all in terms of writing literate, ingenious plots in the scandinavian crime noir field. Very "meaty" books.
Robert Hoogstad
The story was little surprising, you can see what' s coming from miles ahead and the characters are not very interesting. A nice screenplay for an action movie with Tom Cruise, which I would not go to. Not my kind of book.
Irene
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I can like this book because the authors left Sweden behind and feel n the Americas trap. I look forward to their next book. They need to stay with their rooms s. We have plenty of American writers that,could write this story, but it was these authors that kind e pts the edge.
Jill
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book keeps your interest (although far fetched). Many characters--you have to pay attention as you read.
Sandy
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I have ever read! It is right up there with I am Pilgrim. I wish there was another one to follow.
HARRY hANSON
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
3 minute s worth spending

Excellent book with brilliant plot. Many twists and turns. Great suspense. Well written with great narrative.

Don't take drugs. The human cost is huge!
Harriet
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Difficult to get into (and it's a large book) but once in, I couldn't get out. An excellent read, well worth the time and very satisfying to the end!
Lis
Sep 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-fiction
Well plotted and lots of suspense.
Very violent, though. I dont really enjoy these inside-the-drug-cartel stories.
Golan Schzukin
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent. The same level as 3 seconds.
Smart suspense.
Simona
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this - an absolute page turner and so realistic. It would make a great film!
Jennie
Oct 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Thought it was really slow.
Jeffrey Bingham
Apr 24, 2018 rated it did not like it
Written to the formula of the previous book, Three Seconds. Didn't finish the book.
Goodreads Librari...: Page count and hardbound vs "unknown" 5 15 Sep 26, 2017 11:27AM

• Offer 2117 (Afdeling Q, #8)
  • Die Opfer, die man bringt
  • Albino (Herkulesserien, #6)
  • Mittvatten
  • X sätt att dö (Fabian Risk, #5)
  • Lazarus (Joona Linna, #7)
  • Motiv X (Fabian Risk, #4)
  • Offrens offer
  • Skamvrån (Emma Sköld, #7)
  • Folk med ångest
  • Höstdåd (Årstidskvartetten, #2)
  • Felsteg
  • De frosne flammer (Niels Oxen, #3)
  • Prio ett (Jana Berzelius, #3)
  • Inland (Berger & Blom, #2)
  • Dvalan (Flickorna och mörkret, #3)
  • Jag ser dig
  • Pappas pojke (Jana Berzelius, #4)
Anders Roslund is a Swedish author and journalist. He is the founder and former head of Kulturnyheterna (Culture News) on SVT, Sweden's national television broadcaster. For many years he worked as a news reporter specializing in criminal and social issues and as an Editor-in-chief at Rapport and Aktuellt, the two major News programmes on SVT.

Roslund regularly collaborates with Börge Hellström,

Ewert Grens (9 books)
  • The Beast (Grens & Sundkvist #1)
  • The Vault (Grens & Sundkvist #2)
  • Cell 8 (Grens & Sundkvist, #3)
  • Flickan under gatan (Grens & Sundkvist #4)
  • Three Seconds (Grens & Sundkvist #5)
  • Two Soldiers (Grens & Sundkvist #6)
  • Tre timmar
  • Jamåhonleva (Ewart Grens #9)