Start by marking “We Are Giants” as Want to Read:
We Are Giants

We Are Giants

Sydney thinks her mother Amy is the best mom in the world--even if she is a bit . . . different from other kids' parents. As Amy explains it, when she was a girl she got to 48 inches tall and then stopped growing right there.

Published September 6th 2016 by Quercus

To ask other readers questions about We Are Giants, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We Are Giants

Helen
May 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sydney thinks her mother, Amy is the best mom in the world--even if she is a bit . . . different from other kids' parents. As Amy explains it, when she was a girl she got to 48 inches tall and then stopped growing right there.

It's the perfect height, in Sydney's opinion: big enough to reach the ice cream at the supermarket, but small enough to be special. Anyway, Sydney's big sister Jade is always there to help out with the stuff on the highest shelves. And though Sydney's dad died when she was
Abigail (Abbie) Osborne
Aug 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
When I was growing up, most books aimed at young female readers, seemed to only feature girls with perfect figures and the boys that fought over them. I had unrealistic expectations of the world because of these books, and would have loved to have read something realistic, that addressed the real problems, that real people have. ‘We Are Giants’ tackles the subject of physical disability, but explores many of the difficulties we all face as we come of age.

If you need any assistance when reading t
Marj
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
We Are Giants is a gem of a first novel about relationships, family relations, growing up and making friends. It's suitable for boys and girls, Year 4 - 6. Although the narrator is a Year 5 girl (including grammatical mistakes such as 'Me and Jade...' - annoying for me as an English teacher), there is a boy main character in the novel - overweight and an obvious outcast, yet he displays the qualities of a true friend.
Dealing with difference (mother is a dwarf) is a major theme, yet it's shown n
Anne Fien
Mar 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a middle grade story about a ton of things, it's about family, it's about girl power, about losing loved ones, about change, about being special, about bullying, about growing up and probably a ton more things if you sit down to list them all.
Really if you've ever been young, or are right now, there will be a situation in this book that you recognise.

I wasn't so sure at the start of this. Maybe because I've been consuming and wanting a lot of fantasy/magical realism lately and this is
Robin Stevens
Jul 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a sweet, warm, funny story about friendship, family and how to grow up without leaving your parents behind. I loved its presentation of disability (Mum has dwarfism, and that's central to the story in a way that feels very normal and real), and I think that this is a lovely debut. (8+)

Nefret
Apr 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grade, dnf-d
Wanted to like this book, but the characters fell flat for me. It became something of a slog to get through.

Cool concept, dull execution.
Oran
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you're low.
If world events are getting you down.
If you or your 8+ year old want the comfort of kind hearted, well observed, middle grade fiction.
If you want a real world setting where children, parents, a grand parent, neighbours and friends encounter and over come life challenges together.
Well....
If you ticked any or all of the above, well then We Are Giants might just be for you.
It was definitely the book for me.
Thanks Amber.
Heartily recommend this!
Elinor Caiman Sands
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have dwarfism and the dwarfism theme in this lovely childrens book couldn't have been handled better. If only all books were this sensitive!
I enjoyed the story and characters in other respects as well despite the fact I'm about three centuries older than the target audience. :p
Luna
Apr 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
There is so much is in this story. It’s about family, grief, growing up, friendship, dealing with bullies, add a little romance and having believing in dreams that seem impossible and maybe we’ve got everything covered.

The very short review of We Are Giants is that it’s wonderful and you should definitely go and read it.

But I’m guessing you’d like slightly more, so – where do I begin? As said, there is so much in this book that I’m amazed it didn’t feel crowed but Amber Lee Dodd has crafted the
Waterstones St. Margaret's
Mar 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rachel
This is such a sweet, charming little book. It deals with topics that would be familiar to a lot of 9-12 year olds - such as moving home/school, older teenage siblings becoming difficult, and trying to hang onto childhood memories - but from a viewpoint that at first seems very different. Sydney's mum has dwarfism, and everyone near their London home knows her. But when the family have to move to Portsmouth, how will they cope with coming to a new place that seems ever so BIG?

All of the charac
Kelly Monroe
May 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adore We are Giants. I love how it addresses dwarfism, family problems, bereavement and social issues like the recession; it was really relevant and eloquently written. Something I feel has not been written about in children's fiction, and I really feel that more authors need to address these issues so that children understand the real world.. It is written in such a cleaver way that these issues are written with great thought and consideration.
The writer is fantastic at developing
Donna
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
I'm afraid I couldn't get into this book at all, it was quite a strange one to be honest and as much as I tried to enjoy it I found it quite tiresome. The characters were very 2 dimensional and I didn't really connect with any of them and found the plot quite boring which was a shame as I thought I was really going to like this book. feel bad leaving a negative review but I have to be honest and it just wasn't my cup of tea but I'm sure there are lots of readers it will appeal to. Sorry. I recei ...more
Alice Nuttall
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, brilliantly-written story.
Emily
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A throwback to my childhood years spent reading Jacqueline Wilson, written to the same wonderful standard and directly tapping into the mind of almost every young girl. I've never encountered a book of any age range with dwarfism as a focal point, so this one was a must-read. Lovely, sweet and empowering.
Lyndsay Wheble
May 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant.
Spottyblanket
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
A really strong story. I loved the fact it features a diverse family. I feel jacqueline Wilson fans will really like this as it reminds me of her style. I did wish it was a bit more informative about dwarfism as I wanted to know more but this book was not about that. It is about a normal family who are learning to cope with a massive upheaval in their lives as well as come to terms with their own losses. It does this very well. I felt every character was very distinct and I did care what happene ...more
Sienna
Dec 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Lovely quick read
Linden
Apr 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Lovely book. Fresh and lively style for what are deep and important themes of grief, identity and dealing with change. The book does not talk down to its readers. It effortlessly combines tackling significant issues with wit, suspense and lovable characters. This original mix makes for genuine crossover appeal. It's a book that both middle years children and their parents would enjoy. I know that I really loved reading it. The phrase, made me laugh and cry, is accurate.
Katie Taylor
Apr 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
We Are Giants is a Giant of a first novel. Not because it is long, but because of the emotional depth that had been poured into the heart of this story of family.

Sydney's journey is one we can all empathise with. Not just the loss of a loved one, but the reality of growing up and that there is always hope. With hope comes acceptance. I very much recommend this book. The writing is brilliant.

We Are Giants is a fantastic debut novel.
Maree
Jan 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: qsl-books
Enjoyed this, a different perspective on diversity of characters as Sydney wants to be a 'dwarf' like her mother but she is growing and is now bigger than her Mum. Sydney is also dealing with lots of other things such as grief over the death of her father (also a dwarf), having to move, her older sister Jade being a grumpy teenager and her Mum making new friends (male!).
Ava Dans
How do I read the book??
Anna