Start by marking “We Are Growing! (Elephant & Piggie like reading!, #2)” as Want to Read:
We Are Growing! (Elephant & Piggie like reading!, #2)

We Are Growing! (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading! #2)

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  1,309 Ratings  ·  323 Reviews
Walt and his friends are growing up! Everyone is the something-est. But . . . what about Walt? He is not the tallest, or the curliest, or the silliest. He is not the anything-est! As a BIG surprise inches closer, Walt discovers something special of his own!
Published September 20th 2016 by Disney-Hyperion

La Tonya  Jordan
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to La Tonya by: Myself
Shelves: good-read
Very good children's book about grass growing. It is told thru the eyes of a child elephant and pig. The grass starts growing and compares themselves to each other. Funny and enjoyable.

Quote:
I just grew. All by myself. Cool, huh?

We are ALL the SOMETHING-EST!
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Each blade of grass grows and finds their unique quality that sets them apart - but what about Walt? Great book for children who are trying to retain their individuality even as they explore their role in a widening group.
Niki (Daydream Reader)
I love this new series! I can't wait to share it with students in the fall! Kids are going to love it!!
KC
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am the neatest too!
Niki Marion
May 25, 2016 rated it liked it
I was really discombobulated by the framing narrative of Elephant and Piggie, like it wasn't enough that Mo Willems has his own brand of beginning readers but they also must include his characters introducing the story.

The actual story is about grass growing, and how each blade of grass is becoming a different superlative (tallest, curliest, etc). When one blade of grass (Walt--presumably named as a nod to knowing parents who read LEAVES OF GRASS) doesn't know what he is, he has an identity cri
Beth
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Love this new Elephant and Piggie approved series. :)
Laura Harrison
Oct 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This new series is simply terrific. Elephant and Piggie do an intro then a variety of authors/illustrators take over for each book. Love it! And so will the children.
Jana
This is a fun picture book written from the point of view of growing blades of grass. As they notice their own growth, the begin comparing themselves to each other. They all celebrate their special qualities until the lawn mower comes around! Bold, humorous illustrations, along with simple text, will make this a popular book with young readers.
Elaine
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is great! Could've been rather gruesome. It's important to explain to children that they will not grow back.
Sara Grochowski
The most fun I've ever had watching grass grow! ;)
Levi
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious! If you like Elephant and Piggie, this is a great subset of their world!
Cindy Dobrez
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
From our Bookends Blog postfeaturing Elephant and Piggie Like Reading series:

If you think watching the grass grow is boring, think again. The bug-eyed grass blades of Laurie Keller’s We are Growing! (2016) impart humor and drama where there was none before.

Although the blades start out at the same height, one has a growth spurt. The others are amazed and a kerfuffle ensues, but his boasting soon gets old, especially as his peers begin to grow taller. In short order, everyone is growing and bragg
Heidi-Marie
This was scads better than the cookie one. Less busy in pictures so I could follow the story and speech bubbles more easily. Hilarious, too. I don't think I will ever mow the yard the same way again. This will be fun to read in storytime.

11/1/16-11/3/16 Used this at elementary school visits. Read it to one 1st and both Kindergarten classes. The first grade liked this a little better than K, but K still liked because it was very like E&P. Pointing out the mower coming was great in all 3. The
Heidi
I would never have guessed that a book about blades of grass could be so funny. Each of the blades of grass in this book are delighted to discover that as they grow they develop a unique characteristic that makes them the 'est'. Curliest, tallest, silliest, or pointiest, each blade of grass is pleased that he/she is the best at something. Such a simple story line and yet so very profound. Who doesn't like to be the best at something, adult or child? Yet Walt can't seem to find anything that he i ...more
Joy
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
The librarian suggested this book to me yesterday. Mo Willems' Elephant and Piggie series is finished, however, they are back reading books from other authors in a new series "Elephant and Piggie Like Reading" (this is number 2 in the series).

The book starts with Elephant and Piggie reading the book "We Are Growing." Then we get into the book which introduces us to a bunch of blades of grass which start to grow. As the grow, they decide that they are the "curliest" or the "crunchiest" and so on
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Quirky Souls
In the tradition of Mo Willems, featuring commentary by Elephant & Piggie. This book is more fun than watching grass grow (although that's precisely the subject of the book). WE ARE GROWING! offers a unique perspective on growth, personal discovery, appreciation for differences and working in a group.
Alexandra Ibberson
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kidlit
We Are Growing is an adorable young children's picture book. It won a Giesel Award and justly so! It's such a simple but cute story about growing up. Each of the blades of grass recognize something special about themselves but Walt struggles to figure out what special trait he has. And then the lawn mower mows through the blades of grass and they are all the same. In the end they realize they still all have something special about themselves. The story provides a positive message to young reader ...more
Adrienne Pettinelli
On repeat readings, I more and more love how this story resolves itself by the protagonist realizing the solution to his existential dilemma lies in sweeping up the recently severed pieces of himself and his friends. I mean, you can't let the lawn mowers of the world run around making your life messy. Or something.

I love this book.
Lori
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you can't read a new Elephant and Piggie (and you can't), then an Elephant & Piggies endorsed book is the next best thing! This just announced Theodore Geisel award winner by Laurie Keller fits the bill. Who knew blades of grass could have so much personality and charm. I read this to my knitting group, ages 9 - 70 and it was a hit.
Charles
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the second installment in the Elephant and Piggie like to read series, but the first I've read. Though Mo Willems didn't write it, the book has his wit and brilliant sense of humor. I'm excited about this series!
Emily
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
A silly and clever book for beginning readers. My 1st grader and preschooler LOVE this book. A great addition to the Elephant and Piggie series.
Janet
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Just a fun book with a quiet lesson. And anyway, I'm in love with Mo Willems and Elephant and Piggie.
Ms. B
Dec 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Author Laurie Keller has created a book that makes growing grass interesting. Amazing! Those who are looking for funny books will like this one.
Becky
Sep 06, 2017 rated it liked it
First sentence: BOING! What was that? I think I just grew! LOOK! Wow! You did grow! Look at that! I just grew. All by myself. Cool, huh? I know, I know. I made it look EASY. But growing is HARD WORK. In fact--

Premise/plot: Usually when someone says a book is as exciting as watching grass grow it's a bad thing. It means the book is slow, boring. Not so in Laurie Keller's new early reader, We Are Growing. Readers get the chance to watch eight blades of grass grow--each in their own special way at
Jenny
Jun 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Cute! Elephant and Piggie are reading a favorite book about grass growing. That doesn't sound like the most interesting of topics; however, this grass has PERSONALITY! As they begin to grow, they notice that one is the curliest grass. Another is the crunchiest. Another is the tallest and so on. Except one blade of grass doesn't seem to have any identifying or unique characteristics. That blade feels left out...until something happens to help him determine what makes him special.
Curt
Jun 07, 2018 added it
Shelves: state-awards
“What do you see? (shows front cover) Yes, they’re blades of grass. What do you notice about them? If they’re all grass, how come they don’t look the same? As everyone is growing up, they find out who they are except Walt isn’t sure who or what he is. Let’s read and see if he finds out.”

For my opening moves, I allow raise questions to engage the children with the story. I laid the ground work to help children understand theme because “watching grass grow” may seem too little/ boring of a story f
Rainey
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Love this silly willy book! And I love the DANDIEST weed ❤ ...more
N
Super cute book about finding what makes you special and not getting hung up on not being the same as others. Or not measuring up to their standard.
Kimberly
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Probably 3.5 stars. I bumped it up because I laughed out loud a couple of times.
Sunah Chung
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
For young children, growing up must be a big issue. We Are Growing! by Laurie Keller, Mo Willems tells about differences. Someone could be tallest, silliest, curliest, and pointiest. If you think you have nothing special and something unique to be called “-est”, there is something you can be special. Since you will keep growing up, you don’t need to worry about the present status of yourself. At the last part of the book, one of the grass says “we are ALL the SOMETHING-EST!” This must be the sta ...more
Laurie Keller grew up in Muskegon, Michigan. She always loved to draw, paint and write stories. She spent much of her time performing in a local dance tour company and dancing in and choreographing some civic theatre shows.
She graduated several years later with a BFA in Illustration. She also got a job as a greeting card illustrator at Hallmark Cards in Kansas City, Missouri. She is the author and
More about Laurie Keller

Elephant & Piggie Like Reading! (5 books)
  • The Cookie Fiasco (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading!, #1)
  • The Good for Nothing Button
  • It's Shoe Time! (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading!, #4)
  • Elephant & Piggie Like Reading! - The Itchy Book!