Start by marking “As Old as Time” as Want to Read:
As Old as Time

As Old as Time

(Twisted Tale #3)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  17,746 ratings  ·  2,755 reviews
What if Belle's mother cursed the Beast?

When Belle touches the Beast's enchanted rose, memories flood through Belle's mind — memories of a mother she thought she would never see again. And, stranger still, she sees that her mother is none other than the beautiful enchantress who cursed the castle and all its inhabitants.

Shocked and confused, Belle and the Beast will have
Hardcover, Twisted Tales #3, 484 pages
Published September 6th 2016 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about As Old as Time, please sign up.
Angela Walker I haven't read any of the other Twisted Tales- this is definitely a stand alone story with an ending that could continue if the author chose.…moreI haven't read any of the other Twisted Tales- this is definitely a stand alone story with an ending that could continue if the author chose.(less)
Lisa H Hiya, there are a whole lot of them now (3 years later) Make sure to check them out if you haven't already <3…moreHiya, there are a whole lot of them now (3 years later) Make sure to check them out if you haven't already <3(less)

·  17,746 ratings  ·  2,755 reviews

Start your review of As Old as Time
Ann
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
This was an absolute dumpster fire of a book. But I still enjoyed it because I have no taste.
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I just read the most wonderful story =) ♥

At first I was a little confused and then my light bulb went off!

This starts a story of Rosalind and Maurice. Rosalind had magical powers as did many in the village. But the evil King and Queen didn't like this and starting taking all of the magical people away. They were attacked on the streets, etc. Most of these les charmantes were very nice people - ish. Most of the ones that were left, moved to right outside the village to a new village of their own
megs_bookrack
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**3.5-stars rounded up**

An new and imaginative twist on the tale as old as time.

This third installment in Disney's Twisted Tales series asks the question, what if Belle's mom had been the one to curse the Beast?

Following the parameters of a fairly strict retelling, this story feels like bonus content for the original animated movie. Music to any super-fan's ears.

We get a back and forth timeline following Belle in the present part of the story, and the past perspective follows Belle's parents be
Erikka
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, fairy-tales
I still remember the first time I saw Beauty and the Beast. I was 6, a weird little girl who had no friends and loved getting lost in the adventures found in my favorite books. Until that point, I had seen milquetoast, passive, stupid little princesses go completely mushy for nondescript, interchangeable princes. They had no autonomy, no agency in their own stories. Then this peculiar little peasant with unmanageable brown hair comes wandering into her provincial town with a book covering her fa ...more
Anne

Not just any old B&B reboot, folks.
This one is Disney's retelling of Disney's Beauty and the Beast.

description

Which is kind of cool in and of itself.
Ok, so this is a more adult version of the Disney classic that stays true to the original storyline until Belle swerves toward the forbidden wing with the enchanted rose in it.

description

I don't want to spoil too much, but I think it's safe to say that from there on out it goes in a new direction. <--there are still iconic moments peppered into the scenes, tho
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it

Many thanks to Disney Press for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review
"Tale as old as time
Song as old as rhyme
Beauty and the beast"

Of all the twisted tales I've read (I think it's three or four), this one has been my favorite so far!

So, what's this book about?
Belle is a lot of things: smart, resourceful, restless. She longs to escape her poor provincial town for good. She wants to explore the world, despite her father’s reluctance to leave their little cottage in case
anouk
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, retellings, ya
Dannii Elle
Actual rating 3.5/5 stars.

This is the third instalment in the series of Disney-inspired retellings by Liz Braswell. As Old as Time tells the story of Beauty and the Beast, beginning with their parents.

I really liked the back-and-forth narrative, that told both a past tale alongside Belle's present one. Learning more about the lovable Maurice and getting an introduction to Belle's mother was highly intriguing. Both narratives also aligned in an exciting twist of events that had me compelled to ke
Melcaroni
Dec 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020, quarantine
I love how this took me exactly one month to read. I blame school. RTC
*********************************************************
The Twisted Tales series are almost always trash. But I can't stop myself from reading them. Why? I don't know. I have a strange mind. I even have two of them on my shelf which, are unread. Again, I have a strange mind. Anyway, "As Old As Time," was (unfortunately) one of (many) of the ones that are trash.

The characters are all bland pieces of cardboard.
Eliza
This felt incredibly young to me, and I might be slowly getting out of YA novels, which is super upsetting! Then again, the writing in this felt closer to a middle school level than YA.

Either way, I'll finish this review later today!
Alaina
SO much better than the first two.

As Old As Time is hands down my favorite of this series so far. Not only does it have one of my favorite Disney characters, Belle, but it was actually entertaining and interesting to read. I was never bored and could't wait to see what little mysteries or twists I will get.

Obviously this is a retelling of Beauty and the Beast, if you couldn't tell by the title or cover, but it was a bit different. It seemed like it was a mix of the animated and the real-live ver
Nasty Lady MJ
Sep 18, 2016 rated it did not like it
To see full review click here.

I was less than impressed with Braswell’s A Whole New World and was content on just forgoing her obvious pandering to Disney synergy series when I saw As Old as Time‘s premises and then I was like.

Need this.

Because Beauty and the Beast and the twist looked actually interesting. And besides, surely after two books with poor reviews, surely Braswell was able to pick up some pointers on what was going wrong with the synergy pandering series. Obviously, I was wrong. The
Cora Tea Party Princess
Jul 01, 2016 marked it as to-read
YOU HAVE ONE LAST CHANCE LIZ BRASWELL.

Let's hope it's better than A Whole New World and Once Upon a Dream, because I DNF'd them both.

Also, why the sudden change in cover styles? It doesn't even match!

I am a sucker of Beauty and the Beast ANYTHING.
Dee☾
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
Beauty and the Beast is my all time favorite Disney movie and I had to read this. No excuses. I saw so many mixed reviews (okay, mostly negative), but I didn't let that cloud my judgment at all. This book fell so flat that I found it so hard to even finish it. This saddens me. I wanted to really love this!!

The kingdom is plagued by a fever and those with magical abilities are disappearing. The story is told in two different storylines at the beginng: Belle's present and Maurice's past.

The firs
Julia (ten_thousand_books)
Lorena
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Have you ever wondered what would happen to Disney's Beauty and the Beast if someone took all the magic out of it?

... well this book is what happens.

“I’M NOT HUNGRY!” she screamed back, rage billowing out of her more forcefully than she had imagined possible. Thinking of the triplets and their behavior hadn’t improved her mood.

“YOU’LL COME OUT OR…I’LL BREAK DOWN THE DOOR!”

“HUFF AND PUFF ALL YOU LIKE, YOU MONSTROUS WOLF!” she spat. “GO RIGHT AHEAD! IT’S YOUR CASTLE, AFTER ALL. DO WHATEVER YOU
Emily Kothmann
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
andrea
I really really really really really wanted to like this book. I wanted to keep going and wanted it to get better. I was really excited to read it when I first got it. I had decided to read it with my friend Mel and we were going to have so much fun with it. Mel, I'd just like to apologize profusely AGAIN for dnfing this book on you, but I seriously couldn't take it anymore.

This book was EXCRUCIATING for me to read. I realized that I need to dnf this today when I was supposed to read six chapter
Fifi | A Fairytale Dream
I was very surprised at how incredible this book was. The first book in this series about Aladdin was a huge disappointment, but the second one about Aurora was actually very good (though it seems most everyone else doesn't agree with me on that). Despite the huge improvement from book one to book two, I didn't go into this book with super high expectations. That is why I was completely floored over how fantastic this book was. When I closed this book I was in a daze and I had to sit there for a ...more
ضحى الحداد
I just finished this book .. it was an ok story .. I wish if it was not a retelling of my favourite Disney movie because I really didn't like the new direction it was headed .. but still I did kind of enjoyed the story .. that was until I reached the end .. I mean .. WHAT KIND OF ENDING WAS THAT ??!!!
I absolutely hated the ending .. I almost reduced the stars for the ending alone but I remembered that the story was decent .. if you don't mind ending that suck so bad you would enjoy this book ..
Candace Worrell
Feb 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
This book is boring. Seriously, who reads or watches Beauty and the Beast and wonders, "Man, I wish I knew more about Maurice." If you want a Beauty and the Beast retelling, go with Beauty by Robin McKinley. ...more
Obsidian
Wow. This was a great re-telling of "Beauty and the Beast". I loved the whole idea behind this book with the great enchantress from the stories being Belle's mother. And reading about magical people who were afraid since they were being persecuted by those who were "normal". The development of Belle and the Beast was great and I actually bought that Belle fell in love with him in this one. They were a great duo. Braswell changes things up a bit with the introduction of the magical people (les ch ...more
Jerry
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
The original animated Beauty and the Beast is my mom's favorite Disney film, and we watched our VHS copy countless times during my childhood; it was also tied with Big Fat Liar as the first movie we owned on DVD. We also had the Christmas one, which wasn't bad; I saw the third one on Disney Channel once, and didn't care for it.

So, you could say that me and the "tale as old as time" have an interesting history...which made me all the more interested in reading this book.

Sort of an alternate unive
Deanie Nelder
Aug 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Actually 4.5 stars

I used to love "Beauty and the Beast" until someone pointed out something disturbing. In the Disney movie (and other tellings of the story) the Beast is cursed, and must find love by his 21st birthday or the curse will be permanent. But if he's been cursed for 10 years, and is almost 21, then the Beast would have been cursed as an 11 year old. Punishing an entire castle and kingdom because a preteen is rude seems extreme.

This book actually has a really good explanation for it,
Lauren
Jun 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Probably closer to a 3.5 for me, but I prefer to round up! This was a good book, but not great.

Some parts were taken word from word from the movie, while others felt out of place or awkward. The author didn’t quite capture the Belle of the movie, BUT that was okay. She was still headstrong and had her same main traits, but she was a little more whiny at times, but also stronger because they could go a little darker with the book.

It was a little childish at times, which was so at odds with other
Jaye Berry
Oct 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy, ya, 2019, ebooks
Catch me literally repeating my rant from the last Twisted Tale book I read because they are all the same and I don't like them in the same way.

As Old As Time is the Beauty and the Beast Twisted Tale but in this, Belle's mother is the enchantress who cursed the Beast and his servants. Also a weird amount of the story is about Belle's parents but specifically her father, Maurice.

Seriously who ever watched BatB and thought, "Man I would LOVE to read a book where half of the story is dedicated to g
Jenn
It's amazing that this one was written by the same author as the first two, because the book as a whole was so much better. I still didn't love it but I was interested, which is more than I can say about the first two.

This is the story of Beauty and the Beast, the twist being that Belle's mom was the one who cursed the beast. What I liked about this was how we got to see Belle's parents meet and their lives before Belle came to be. Braswell created this entire world we never knew existed and it
Sophie Crane
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fairy-tale, disney
As a fan of both Beauty and the Beast films I absolutely loved this story. Gave it a whole new perspective to the story and made me question some things from the original cartoon. Highly recommend for a Disney or Beauty and the Beast fan! It sticks pretty close to the Disney story at the start but soon takes some interesting twists.
Feb 04, 2016 marked it as lost-interest

Update April 2016: God that cover looks amazing.

What can I say? I'm a sucker for Beauty and the Beast retellings.
M.  [storme reads a lot]
Meh it wasn't what I hoped for and I do mot plan on reading anymore twisted tales. Not for me. ...more

• Reflection
  • Mirror, Mirror
  • Conceal, Don't Feel
  • So This is Love
  • Mistress of All Evil (Villains, #4)
  • Mother Knows Best (Villains, #5)
  • Poor Unfortunate Soul (Villains, #3)
  • Fairest of All (Villains, #1)
  • The Odd Sisters (Villains, #6)
  • The Beast Within (Villains, #2)
  • Evil Thing (Villains, #7)
  • Go the Distance
  • Sleeping Beauty: Once Upon a Dream
  • Beauty and the Beast: Lost in a Book
  • Snow White: Fairest of All
  • Tangled: Mother Knows Best
  • Rebel Rose (The Queen's Council, #1)
After the sort of introverted childhood you would expect from a writer, Liz earned a degree in Egyptology at Brown University and then promptly spent the next ten years producing video games. Finally she caved into fate and wrote Snow and Rx under the name Tracy Lynn, followed by The Nine Lives of Chloe King series under her real name, because by then the assassins hunting her were all dead. She a ...more

Twisted Tale (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • A Whole New World