Start by marking “Roam (Roam, #1)” as Want to Read:
Roam (Roam, #1)

Roam

(Roam #1)

Ethan Roam suffers from night terrors and vivid daydreams. A lifelong friend introduces him to the eccentric Dr. Grady Hunter, who he believes can help. After making some new (and perhaps, not entirely human) friends and being thrust into a life surrounded by the supernatural, Ethan quickly learns that there was more reality to his dreams than he suspected.

As Ethan discove
Published January 1st 2016 by Blurb

To ask other readers questions about Roam, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Roam

Start your review of Roam (Roam, #1)
Susan
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: age-gap, arc, gbr, ghosts, mm
I really did not like this one. The romance felt ridiculously underdeveloped and the characters had no depth to speak of.

Ethan is a 20 year old student who has always had nightmares. Very vivid nightmares. And they almost all have the same girl and the same werewolf in them.

When it looks like Ethan is starting to dream during the day as well, he asks help from an old family friend. Arthur tells him to go visit a friend of his, Dr. Grady Hunter.

When Ethan is under the impression he is in the doct
Joyfully Jay
Oct 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: camille
A Joyfully Jay review.

There are so many elements in this story that tickled my fancy. I love me some paranormal activity and there are heaps of ghosts, werewolves, vampires, magic, and so on in the book. The drawback is that these themes are more like a veneer laid over a common basic plot: two lovers find each other and the actions of one drive the other off into danger, but the threat of losing each other forces them to make amends and they all live happily ever after. I feel like it
Tosha
Apr 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pleasantly Surprised

I walked into this book knowing very little, I knew it was LGBTQ, that it was paranormal and that it was written perhaps for a younger audience. It turned out to be a lot of fun though. The wonderful feeling of first love, the mending of a damaged soul and some seriously quirky flirtatious characters made it impossible your it down. Really glad that I picked this book up, it filled me with all the butterflies and the world building was spectacular.
Casey Jacobson
Sep 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
ROAM, by Dez Schwartz, is a smart, well-written book. In a very Oscar Wilde way, the characters are larger-than-life, but magnetic; you are drawn to them and want to know more about them. You would want them to notice you in a crowd.

The plot is well-paced. The dialogue is fun. The prose is often thought-provoking. Because of her writing style, it is easy to think of this as a period piece set in a Jane Austen setting, but Dez Schwartz adds enough reference of the modern world, even through the c
Kirstin
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book had so much potential! The MC, Ethan Roam, is a college student who feels as though his life is boring and his major is worthless and he has nothing. The cherry on top is that he has these vivid dreams, sometimes nightmares that haunt him during the night but have now started to seep into his mind during the day.

When his uncle sends him to meet with Dr. Grady Hunter, some sort of dream specialist, he hopes that he finally may get some sleep. But when he walks into the office, he realiz
Teresa
ISBN: 978-1-949340-83-9
Buy Link: https://ninestarpress.com/product/roam/
Reviewer: Teresa Fallen Angel
Blurb:
Ethan Roam suffers from night terrors and vivid daydreams, which lead him to the doorstep of the eccentric Dr. Grady Hunter, who thrusts him into a world of supernatural misfits. Ethan quickly learns that there’s more reality to his dreams than he suspected.
As Ethan unravels the truth behind his nightmares and falls into
Mary Ellen
Apr 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story took me by surprise! Maybe it's because I just finished a really dark book, but this one felt so much lighter in comparison, and it's exactly what I needed. It's filled with magic, paranormal creatures, potential adventure and an innocent first love.

Ethan, the main character has always had reoccurring night terrors, but when his nightmares start to escalate to day time, (even in the middle of class) Ethan decides he needs help. He follows a recommendation to go see Dr. Grady Hunter.
Aly
Oct 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: age-young-adult, dnf
3.25/5 stars

I'm a bit mixed when it comes to this book if I'm being perfectly honest. There were times where I fell in love, and other times where I was just annoyed without the author intending me to feel that way. I thought that the whole idea of all the supernatural beings existing in real life and that there's a place where they go to seek help or assistance, basically a whole society, is really fun. I found it especially interesting that a human was at the helm of dealing with these beings,
Nicki Markus
Oct 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-lgbt
Roam was a bit of a mixed bag for me, so let me break down this review to the pros and cons. Starting with the positives, I simply loved the premise of this story, which offered a new twist on the usual paranormal fare. It had a ton of potential, and in theory the idea of Ethan and Grady as a couple worked. However, for me at least, the characterisation didn't quite come together. I couldn't buy the instalove that occurred between them. They'd barely met and immediately fell in love. Ethan was a ...more
Meghan
Roam is an innovative fantasy novel with a sweet romance and a premise that leaves worlds open to discovery. There are witches, vampires, ghosts, and more.

The main character, Ethan Roam, is young (at first it isn't quite clear how young he is) and naive. But that naivety helps perpetuate his innocent and trusting nature. Ethan is good and the book makes sure you know that. At times, his innocence seems to make him more trusting than I think he should or would be - but perhaps that's just my cyn
Susan Anne
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of Roam by Dez Schwarz via IndiGo Marketing & Design in exchange for an honest review. It is always fun to read a fantasy story with a new twist. The hero of this novel, Ethan Roam, is thrust into the supernatural world, unaware he is, in fact, one of them. His ability is the something new for me. I liked how the author did not reveal all the secrets about Ethan at once, but let them come out naturally through the events to the story. His induction into this new world is throug ...more
Nicole Diskin
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book as an ARC thanks to Net Galley and Nine Star press!
Roam was a Fantastic mix of supernatural with elements of horror I Loved so much about this book! The storyline was engrossing the characters where amazingly fleshed out and I fell in Love with all of them even the "Villians"! The setting felt so real and the relationships were beautiful and at times heart-wrenching!! this is an amazing fun quick read and I recommend this to anyone looking for a fun spooky but not to spooky
Natalie panda eyes
Received from Netgalley. I liked the potential of this one, a lot of questions left open. Pretty much a tale of redemption, jealousy and betrayal. Fast paced and packed with the supernatural. Ethan was pretty naïve but had his own mind and matured quickly. Grady was a dark soul but it was tricky to tell who was manipulating who. Favourite character was Dacey, who I hope we see more of. Character I didn’t understand was Arthur. I look forward to the next one.
Destiny Bridwell
I received a copy of this book for a fair and honest review. I am kind of the fence of this book. There were some good points, but there were some things about the plot and character development that seemed kind off. I kind of wish more there to this story. I liked the Vampire theme but the characters did not seem all that strong and I just expected more from it.
M.A. Winter
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't put down

I stayed up all night to finish this story! If you're a lover of paranormal romance, you definitely need to read this book! The supernatural elements are unique, the characters engaging, and I can't wait to read more of this world!
Free_dreamer
A Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words review

„Roam“ promised some really interesting and unusual fantasy ideas. Sadly the actual book was kind of disappointing.

But let’s start with the good parts. I found Ethan’s night-terrors/super vivid daydreams fascinating. It takes a while till we learn what exactly his abilities are, so that made for an interesting plot arc. And I really liked the reveal of his true powers.

Sadly, Ethan himself wasn’t all that interesting. He really only has two modes: incess
Alexis Nalley
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews, lgbt-faves
*I received an advance copy from the author in return for my honest review
I actually read this back in September and just realized that I had never uploaded my review on here!

I really liked the characters in Roam, which is important for me to like a book. I can see why everyone is so into Grady. Ethan did seem a little naïve, but I think he did really well for being thrown into the middle of things. I wasn’t sure I liked him in the beginning of the book. I liked seeing him grow as a character. I
Gaby
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I actually read this back in February, but I've been rereading it and realized I never rated it on here.
This is such an exciting and unique story that I can't even put it into words. The whole idea of 'dream travel' and how Dez constructed it into her supernatural world is beyond fascinating, and it makes me wonder if/hope people like Ethan Roam actually exist!

Each character is so well thought out and so likable in their own way, with their own highly detailed personalities and back stories. Eac
Karlee
Apr 28, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
3.5

I really like the world building in this book. The idea of Dream Travellers. I've always been fascinated by dreams and trying to understand my own so to read a book based on dream travelling, it was a whole new world and experience for me.

I also really enjoyed Benny and Dacey. The side characters were my favourite while Grady kind of irked me with his manipulative ways. And Ethan was very naive. But by the end of the book, I enjoyed them immensely.

Sadly, the pacing of this book got me. I fou
Raven Silveren
Apr 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Thrilling Read...

Ethan Roam is an incredibly relatable character, and every other character is intriguing and individual. I am not one much for paranormal romances, but I am SO in love with Dr. Grady Hunter and his world of supernatural misfits. Without giving away any of the plot, I loved the unique powers that the main character had, and the inclusion of witches with more traditional elements of witchcraft.

Roam is romantic, funny, and anything but predictable; in a genre full of the same st
Jennifer Patino
Oct 17, 2020
Kim
Jan 04, 2019
Morwen
rated it did not like it
Oct 06, 2018
Diana
Donna Smith
Melissa Rothman
May 04, 2016

• Fake It 'til You Make Out (Love & Luck, #1)
  • Out of the Ashes (Metahuman Files: Classified, #1)
  • Virtually Screwed (Love & Luck #2)
  • Borrowing Blue (Made Marian #1)
  • Taming Teddy (Made Marian, #2)
  • Jumping Jude (Made Marian, #3)
  • Grounding Griffin (Made Marian, #4)
  • Stolen Princess (Royal Conquest Saga, #1)
  • Moving Maverick (Made Marian, #5)
  • Delivering Dante (Made Marian, #6)
  • Made Marian Shorts (Made Marian #1.5, 3.4, 3.5, 7.5)
  • Facing West (Forever Wilde, #1)
  • The Goblin Path
  • A Very Marian Christmas (Made Marian, #7)
  • Felix and the Prince (Forever Wilde, #2)
  • Wilde Fire (Forever Wilde, #3)
  • Vicious Arts (Royals of Villain Academy, #8)
  • Hudson's Luck (Forever Wilde #4)
Dez Schwartz writes Dreampunk, Paranormal, and LGBTQ Romance with heavy doses of humor and plenty of bewitching supernatural misadventures.

Dez earned a BFA in Studio Art and worked for ten years as a graphic designer and an executive assistant at a Fine Arts museum. She now writes full-time and resides in a haunted 1920s Texas home with her family and pirate crew of pets.

Pronouns: She/Her

Neve

Roam (3 books)
  • Hunter (Roam, #2)
  • Dream Weaver (Roam, #3)