Start by marking “The Power of When: Discover Your Chronotype--and the Best Time to Eat Lunch, Ask for a Raise, Have Sex, Write a Novel, Take Your Meds, and More” as Want to Read:

Узнайте, какой у вас хронотип — и принимайте правильные решения о том, когда что делать.

«Что» и «как» — прекрасные и нужные вопросы. Однако есть еще один решающий вопрос, которым необходимо задаться, чтобы быстро, заметно и надолго повысить качество жизни во всех аспектах.

Этот вопрос — «когда».

«Когда» — идеальный лайфхак.

Зная
Published September 13th 2016 by Little, Brown and Company

Start your review of The Power of When: Discover Your Chronotype--and the Best Time to Eat Lunch, Ask for a Raise, Have Sex, Write a Novel, Take Your Meds, and More
Stephanie *Extremely Stable Genius*
Let me break this down for you...

If you are a lion, do everything early in the day. If you are a bear, do everything in the middle of the day. If you are a wolf, do everything in the evening or at night. If you are a dolphin (insomniac), forget it you’re effed.

There. You don’t have to read the book.

Aside from the scientific part of this book, that basically your internal clock is set by genetics and is something you really can’t change, the rest is ridiculous!
Mike Vardy
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paper-library
I dove into this book and thoroughly enjoyed it. The author presented his findings and expertise in a way that was engaging and accessible. I like how it was arranged so that you didn't have to read the book from cover to cover. Essentially you can read the first part of the book and then cherry pick the middle section to determine what you'd really like to work on. I really enjoyed that.

This area of research is fascinating to me so I'm probably a bit biased in my review, but I felt
Jaclyn Day
Sep 28, 2016 rated it liked it
If you can set aside the fact that a complete hack wrote the foreward (too strong?), The Power of When is pretty fascinating. There are so many biohacking books and podcasts now that it's difficult to separate the actionable data from trendy talking points, but--for me at least--Breus' chronotype test and subsequent advice make a lot of sense. The advice for sleeping, exercise, and eating seems spot on for what I've (unintentionally) found works best for me. The content can get repetitive, and I ...more
Shantell Danielle
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book gave a lot of good tips for overall wellness. But I think, similar to horoscopes, a lot of the characteristics of the different chronotypes could have applied to many people. I could see a little of myself in all of the types, but all of myself in none of the types. Then it went on forever about when to do every little thing. By the end, I just felt like he was rambling. I prefer to just listen to my body & let that be my guide. This book makes life a little too complicated in my o ...more
Scott Daniel
I tend not to trust absolutist typecasting of personalities, so I'm skeptical of this highly market-driven neat categorization of people into Dolphins, Lions, Bears and Wolves for sleep cycle purposes.

That being said, I think there is sufficient sound information here to provide a schedule template for atypical sleepers like myself to work with.

Recommend it, but there isn't anything life-changing or earth-shattering in here.
James
Oct 02, 2016 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Batshit pseudo-science, nicely formatted.

The timing for a lot of things seems to indicate that the author has never worked. For those of us who do, 90% of the batshit advice is impossible to follow.
Tim
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Tim by: Mike Vardy
Shelves: own
I listened to the audio book after hearing the author, Michael Breus, interviewed on a friend's podcast. It was a very interesting read and I've already put some of author's recommendations into practice with positive results. I've done some in-depth study of some of the subjects that are covered in this book and found it interesting to hear another perspective.

While I think the book is totally worth a read or listen, I do have a couple of criticisms.

I find that the autho
Sotiris Makrygiannis
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: internet, audio-book
The theory is solid but this book style of popularizing the subject is not of my taste.
Especially the chapters on when is the best time to masturbate got me a bit surprised. Do I have taboos? maybe but on the other hand (irony here) what is life if everything has specific time? I needed more info about the biorhythm cycles, a bit more science than just timetables of what to do when.
April
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
I won this book from GoodReads First Reads.

Take the free quiz online (www.thepowerofwhen.com) to find out your Chronotype! I pegged myself as a Bear and Pat as a Lion before taking the quiz, and we both certainly were. I found the science presented in the book fascinating and very easy to understand.

I have made some tweaks to my day based on recommendations in this book. I find that I do sleep better if I turn off the tv/electronics an hour before bed and take
Ying Ying
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
The book presents a chance to re-think how you spend your day. While not all tips might be practical in your own life, it inspires you to re-think whether you are using your most energetic hours for the most challenging tasks. If possible, you could try some suggestions in your own life. They might just improve how your day feels and turns out.
Tamara Evans
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
An very accurate book that helps the reader
to determine what type of time orientation they have and how to use this information to their advantage. I liked how the chapters were divided and that it covers a variety of topics from the best time to eat to the best time to argue. I enjoyed this book so much, I'm buying my own copy for future reference.
Hapzydeco
Mar 29, 2018 rated it liked it
In The Power of WHEN, Dr. Breus presents an intriguing, thought provoking idea. He gives the reader more than pop psychology by he using evidence based studies. The book simplifies the critical and small details that shaped your life. Bottom line - if it works, give it a try.
Erin
Apr 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was really not a book to read on Audiobook. There was a lot of interesting information but there were references to material not included in the Audiobook which always annoys me. You know us wolves, always impulsive and easily annoyed. Actually, I think he said we were pessimistic not easily annoyed but this is MY review dammit, lol. As impossible as this book is to digest on Audiobook I would still recommend it. It's just one of those books that are just a little too technical to let someo ...more
Kenia Sedler
I think this book is best read than listened to. I checked out the audiobook from the library and I would feel bored as, throughout, you're being read tables with times for the various chronotypes. Tables are best scanned for the needed data with the eyes. In addition, there were several references to .pdf documents, except one doesn't get those with library checkouts.
That said, this book is chock full of fascinating scientific information about our body clocks, and the author who is a pra
Deka
Aug 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes, schedules are important. Timing is important. Follow your biorhythms in order to have everything run smoothly. BUT he wrote in circles. I felt like he could have written all those information in the first few chapters, which he did. The rest were just repetitive. The diagrams in the last few pages summarized the book. If I had known that, I would have stopped forcing myself to actually read every word. Have I mentioned he was repetitive?

I agree that we should have a time for everything. Pe
Marie Burns Holzer
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a very useful book. Not only was it validating to see that no, I'm not lazy because I'm useless until 10 AM at the very earliest, I'm just a "wolf" and perfectly suited for the last shift of the day.

Breus includes so much helpful information and useful tips on when is the best time to take advantage of your biological clock. I'm already beginning to experiment with this in my daily life. But I have a sneaking suspicion of what I've known all along but now have the tools and research to
James Calderon
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: required-reading
A powerful book, that I've not only applied to my life, but convinced others to try as well, to great effect. I highly reccommend this to anyone struggling to feel on track in any part of thier lives.

Because really, if you are, what have you got to lose?
Madeleine Tyber
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
Some of the information was cool and will hopefully be useful, but then there was a chapter called "when to tell a joke" ....
Nimira
Dec 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read

The power of when is thought provoking. I found that I already naturally conform to many of the timelines of my chronotype. Listening to your body really helps.
Susan
Nov 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Interesting book. Skimmed a lot of it to read about my own chronotype. It did help me set up a schedule that I'm loosely following, and I'm seeing the benefits.
Tiffany
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
While there were a few interesting nuggets, I found most of this book to be "neuro-psychobabble." I skimmed it and gleaned what I needed in an hour!
Ivan Vuković
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mind, biology
Great stuff, definitely NOT one of those cheesy self-help books that don't tell you anything you wouldn't like.

My man Breus is a gentleman and a scholar, everything is incredibly readable, informative and backed by relevant sources. Chronobiology is extremely underrated, which just blows my mind, considering how important it is. Give this book a try, skim through it, it's worth the time, pun intended.
Krenner1
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating! This book helps you ID your Chronotype, which is your personal biological rhythm, and outlines the best time for your Chronotype to do everything: best time to fight, give a presentation, have sex, talk to the kids, take a pill, workout, drink coffee or booze, see a therapist...etc. Quite amazing to see myself so accurately documented! Should read this one in print because of all the graphs, etc.
Billy
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Some good information that is affirming the power boost that I have. Some habits that I have built is actually aligned with my Chronotype.

Although not to follow it like a bible. But some of the knowledge is worth knowing.

Probably a short summary on my key takeaway in my blog soon

Voodoo Mistress
Jul 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
I’m a nerd and love learning, especially about myself but the power of when was as powerful as the yawn that followed after I took the bio-time quiz.
Found some interesting things but overall it’s not my type of book.
Maybe others will enjoy it.
I will continue to have sex, eat, sleep and live however I please.
Sinfully delicious.
Alexandra
Feb 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
Sorry, bro. I'm none of your types. I tried. read cover to cover. but most stuff was just some common sense rules - if you're tired at certain times preempt those times with energizing stuff (not coffee) and shift you eating patterns to tell your body when to sleep and don't sleep in on weekends.
Johnna
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great advice! Easy to read and lots of great information.
Alissa
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
I picked this one off the New shelf because it sounded interesting. And... Well... I'm glad I checked this one out of the library instead of purchasing it. Had I bought it, I would have felt I'd wasted my money.

So... I am a Lion (Meow!). I hit the ground running in the morning (usually around dawn), am most productive/alert during the earlier half of the day, and am pretty much down for the count by the time the clock strikes 10:30-11 p.m. I am healthy. I am goal/acheivement-oriented. I am crea
Lynn Dorman, Ph.D.
Nov 28, 2016 rated it did not like it
A friend loved this book so I got it at the library and it is another of those "I'll tell you how to live your life" type books....

The premise is interesting but not unique - or not unique to many of us :) Human vary, and they also have similarities. Defining your "type" as an animal is interesting, but so is astrology, the lunar/Chinese year, totems, and other cultures that speak of humans as having animal characteristics.

The book also gets very tedious with its the best
Eric
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
On the surface this book seemed to have an interesting pitch - going through the book I found that the information really wasn't realistic and didn't even make sense... I sort of get what the author is doing by creating an ideal "time" to do things based on cortisol levels etc. But really the 1-2% gain you would get from "commuting to work" at the most ideal time of day is just total fantasy and completely useless information in the grand scheme of things. I feel like there are many more impactf ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• فوبيا العلم
  • Your Survival Instinct Is Killing You: Retrain Your Brain to Conquer Fear, Make Better Decisions, and Thrive in the 21s t Century
  • Clutter Rehab: 101 Tips and Tricks to Become an Organization Junkie and Love It!
  • Ask More: The Power of Questions to Open Doors, Uncover Solutions, and Spark Change
  • The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook: Delicious Dairy-Free Cheeses and Classic "Uncheese" Dishes
  • The Magic Words: Writing Great Books for Children and Young Adults
  • Danger's Hour: The Story of the USS Bunker Hill and the Kamikaze Pilot Who Crippled Her
  • An Absorbing Errand: How Artists and Craftsmen Make Their Way to Mastery
  • Crafty Superstar: Make Crafts on the Side, Earn Extra Cash, and Basically Have It All
  • Be Bad First: Get Good at Things Fast to Stay Ready for the Future
  • Eat Well, Move Well, Live Well: 52 Ways to Feel Better in a Week
  • Innovation You: Four Steps to Becoming New and Improved
  • Operation Snow: How a Soviet Mole in FDR's White House Triggered Pearl Harbor
  • The President of Good and Evil
  • Head First: The Biology of Hope and the Healing Power of the Human Spirit
  • Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction: The Mbsr Program for Enhancing Health and Vitality
  • The Drug Hunters: The Improbable Quest to Discover New Medicines
  • The DNA Restart: Unlock Your Personal Genetic Code to Eat for Your Genes, Lose Weight, and Reverse Aging
“Ebook readers might cause problems. This has become a controversial topic as more and more people use and love ereaders. A close friend of mine doesn’t go anywhere without her Kindle and will probably be buried with it. A Wolf, she was dismayed when I shared the findings of a new Harvard Medical School study:23 reading an ebook in the hour before bed delayed sleep more than reading a print book under normal lamplight, and it also increased sleep inertia the next day.” 1 likes
“Lion Daily Schedule 5:30 a.m.: Wake up, no snooze. 5:45 a.m.: Breakfast: high-protein, low-carb. 6:15 a.m. to 7:00 a.m.: Big-picture conceptualizing and organizing. Morning meditation. 7:00 a.m. to 7:30 a.m.: Sex. If you have kids who need help getting ready for school, make it a quickie. 7:30 a.m. to 9:00 a.m.: Cool shower, get dressed, interact with friends or family before heading to work. 9:00 a.m.: Small snack: 250 calories, 25 percent protein, 75 percent carbs. Ideally, have it at a breakfast meeting. 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.: Personal interactions, morning meetings, phone calls, emails, strategic problem solving. 12:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m.: Balanced lunch. Go outside for sunlight exposure, if possible. 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.: Creative thinking time. Listen to music, catch up on reading and journaling. In a workplace setting, lead or attend brainstorming meetings. 5:00 to 6:00 p.m.: Exercise, preferably outdoors, followed by a cool shower. 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.: Dinner. Keep it balanced—equal parts protein, carbs, and healthy fats. A carb-heavy meal like pasta might make you crash. 7:30 p.m.: Last call for alcohol. A drink after this hour will knock you out. 7:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.: Socialize on the town, or connect with loved ones online while relaxing at home. You bought yourself an extra hour, so make the most of it! 10:00 p.m.: Be in your home environment by now. Turn off all screens to begin the downshift before bed. 10:30 p.m.: Go to sleep.” 0 likes