Start by marking “Dagger and Coin (Sword and Verse, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dagger and Coin (Sword and Verse, #2)

Dagger and Coin

(Sword and Verse #2)

Soraya Gamo was meant to be queen of Qilara, until an Arnath slave rebellion destroyed the monarchy and the capital city. Now, improbably, she sits on the new Ruling Council beside her former enemies, finally holding the political power she always wanted - but over a nation in ruins. As she works to rebuild Qilara, she can, at last, use what everyone once told her to hide: ...more
Published October 9th 2018 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Dagger and Coin, please sign up.
Kathy MacMillan Because, in the immortal words of Baymax, "I am not fast." :-D Also because there are so, so many parts of the publishing process that are out of the …moreBecause, in the immortal words of Baymax, "I am not fast." :-D Also because there are so, so many parts of the publishing process that are out of the author's hands.(less)
Kathy MacMillan Well, the first book was essentially about upending an unjust system, but the "happy" ending was just the beginning of the hard work. I was interested…moreWell, the first book was essentially about upending an unjust system, but the "happy" ending was just the beginning of the hard work. I was interested in exploring the story of *how* that hard work of overcoming such vast differences could be taken on. Given the state of the US today, it's a topic that has been very much on my mind.(less)

Start your review of Dagger and Coin (Sword and Verse, #2)
Kathy MacMillan
Sep 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
For those who have asked what book 2 will be about:

-Dagger and Coin picks up about 30 days after the events of Sword and Verse. However, I prefer to think of it as a companion novel rather than a sequel, because it focuses on a different protagonist and can be enjoyed even if you haven’t read the first book.

-The main character in Dagger and Coin is Soraya Gamo, the heiress who was engaged to Mati and was all set to become queen. We saw in Sword and Verse that Soraya was much more than just a pre
Tati
Jan 29, 2016 marked it as to-read
Shelves: late-2018
Soooo, what's this going to be about?

(I didn't think there was room left for a sequel, to be honest)
Janet
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I could not put this book down. I was reading late into the night, and leaving all the things I should have been doing for another time. Dagger and Coin takes place shortly after then end of Sword and Verse, but this story is from the point of view of Soraya, one of the antagonists from Book 1.

Soraya was fascinating. She knew how to wield power, and she was smart and capable. Yet as a woman, she is constantly being underestimated and looked down on. This book is about bringing two groups who wer
Jamie Coudeville
I enjoyed this a lot more than I expected. I thought it would be a difficult read since I don't remember much from the first book but it turns out that you don't really need to remember much. I loved Soraya as a main character. It really pissed me off that certain characters called her selfish because she only seemed to care about money. Do you guys not know who much money it takes to run a country?
Anyway, great sequel.
Catarina (TravelerBetweenWorlds)
2018?? I was wondering if I would read this one or not but well I have plenty of time to think, though I would like to continue the series.
Lara
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, fantasy
Just as its predecessor (Sword and Verse) pulled no punches about slavery and the costs of revolution, this book pulls no punches about the difficulty of rebuilding after said revolution, when equality has been achieved in name only. A kingdom built on slavery will struggle to find new sources of income, other kingdoms will likely seek to take advantage of the shaky new government, former slaves now need to be paid for their labor (and some are demanding reparations, as well they should), and So ...more
Rachel
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I remember, when I wrote my review for MacMillan’s first book in this epic fantasy setting, SWORD AND VERSE, talking about how people conflagrate romance and fantasy. Particularly in the young adult genre, where romance subplots are so popular. My point was that some reviewers got so caught up in critiquing the romance bit that they didn’t even seem to acknowledge the fantasy. This seems like a trend that is so ubiquitous that people rarely question it anymore. SWORD AND VERSE is rife with actua ...more
Duckytwit
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: l
I was completely surprised when “Sword and Verse” became a series but was super excited about the sequel, & MacMillan definitely delivered! Unlike “Sword and Verse”, “Dagger and Coin” follows Soraya Gamo, raised to marry the prince and be Queen of Qilara. Soraya’s life changed when Raisa became tutor, fell in love with Prince Mati, and finally, saved the city from the wrathful goddess, Sotia. Soraya was invited to represent former Scholar interests on the new governing board, alongside former sl ...more
Sue Poduska
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
The second book in the “Sword and Verse” series is gripping, exciting, and a lesson in finding one’s voice and independence. Written in first person from Soraya’s viewpoint, it points out the problems with always doing what is expected of you rather than what you know to be right. This is a tale set in a medieval world of the author’s invention. The world is believable and self-contained.
Clare
Aug 02, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: to-be-released
I didn't realise that there was going to be sequel to Sword and Verse. I have another book coming out this year to look forward to now! ...more
Shannon Heck
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good follow up

I enjoyed having this book be from Soraya's POV. She is a much stronger character then Raisa so this book was unique from the first. Now I really want a Jonis book. I want him to have is HEA.
Toni
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-ar, library
Hi I love Soraya Gamo.
This was a ride full of frustration and danger and a lot of thrills. This council has my heart and I am very glad to have had more time in this world especially through Soraya’s eyes. So much political intrigue and drama and fear honestly. So good.
Elise
Mar 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: dnf
Characters were bland. Blegh.
kwolf
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I did not see the plot twist coming in this one. I really liked the main character's point-of-view. The conflict was complex and made you think about the theme of overcoming prejudice. Enjoy!
Kyle
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
a very god continuation and an interesting consept of seeing there world though another perspection and every twist and turn was amazing and kept me reading, not wanting to miss what happened next.
Iza
May 04, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The blurb caught my attention. The heroine sounded like someone I'd like.

And that is absolutely true. However, that's just about it because it took a turn I didn't see coming and didn't like.

Also, the story didn't keep my interest much, so I managed to read 80% of the book, then flip-read/fast forwarded to the end, purely for the heroine. She was the only thing not meh in the book. So the 3 stars are for her.
Meg Eden
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing

What I loved about Sword & Verse was how MacMillan constantly subverted my expectations and painted a complicated portrait of what it means to fight for freedom, and how to change the world around you. No perfect idealizations, but the tough complicated questions that really make us think.

Dagger & Coin fails to disappoint in this way as well--especially towards the end, we as readers have to constantly check our expectations and assumptions. I don't want to spoil anything, but some really surpri
Ellie J.
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5/5 stars
Recommended for people who like:
revolution, strong female leads, magic, political intrigue, court politics

This one was much better than Sword and Verse . I think MacMillan listened to some reviewers or maybe reread her own writing, but 1) the narrator here had a much stronger and more mature voice, and 2) the narrator even pointed out how naive Raisa and Mati were in the previous book at the beginning of this one.

Soraya, the ex-fiancee of Mati and one of the members of the newly
Nora
Apr 07, 2020
Jenni
Mar 25, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Frozen Reign (Burning Glass, #3)
  • Crystal Blade (Burning Glass, #2)
  • The Broken Ones (The Malediction Trilogy, #0.6)
  • Fireblood (Frostblood Saga, #2)
  • Ivory and Bone (Ivory and Bone, #1)
  • Cashmere (Velvet, #2)
  • Burning Glass (Burning Glass, #1)
  • Midnight Sun (Twilight, #5)
  • Ember Queen (Ash Princess Trilogy, #3)
  • The Deceiver's Heart (The Traitor's Game, #2)
  • The Cursed Sea (The Glass Spare, #2)
  • Tess of the Road (Tess of the Road, #1)
  • Supernova (Renegades, #3)
  • The Girl the Sea Gave Back (Sky in the Deep, #2)
  • The Bromance Book Club (Bromance Book Club, #1)
  • Broken Throne (Red Queen, #4.5)
  • A Touch of Gold (A Touch of Gold, #1)
  • The Seventh Daughter (Faerie Path, #3)
Kathy MacMillan is a writer, American Sign Language interpreter, librarian, signing storyteller, and avowed Hufflepuff. She writes picture books (the Little Hands Signing series, Familius Press), children’s nonfiction (She Spoke: 14 Women Who Raised Their Voices and Changed the World, Familius Press), and young adult fantasy. Her debut young adult novel, Sword and Verse (2016) was a finalist for t ...more

Sword and Verse (2 books)
  • Sword and Verse (Sword and Verse, #1)