Start by marking “Lost Connections” as Want to Read:
Lost Connections

Lost Connections

What would you do if the most important person to you had been kidnapped? One minute your daughter is there, and the next she has been bundled into a van right under your nose. They want something of your father’s. You don’t know what that is, and your father mysteriously disappeared over 7 years ago. Going to the police is not an option. And the answers will slowly appear ...more
Published January 1st 2016 by Hambrook Press

To ask other readers questions about Lost Connections, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lost Connections

Mar 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Lost Connections is my first introduction to this authors work.

This story itself is one very much of mystery and suspense. The reader is in the same position as Eddie, wondering why someone would abduct his daughter. There is a lot of mystery and un answered questions surrounding Eddie’s father, which the story flicks between past and present so that we gradually get to know more about Eddie’s upbringing and events from the past.

It kind of felt like one of those National Treasure films starring
Shell Baker
Feb 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
I couldn't wait to get my hands on a copy of Lost Connections, having followed Jim's Journey updates over on Crime Book Club on Facebook. And I have to say I was thrilled Jim got his book published.

First of all I love the cover and title which I think is very eerie and totally relates to the story.

The prologue is straight in there with single parent Eddie's daughter being being bundled into a van and kidnapped. So I was gripped from the start and read this in one sitting just wanting to know mo
Books n All  Jill Burkinshaw
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-books
This is the first book I have read by Jim Ody although I have heard good things in its journey towards publication.

The story begins with a prologue and we are immediately thrown in to the action as Ed's daughter, Daisy, is kidnapped, in a flash, in front of his eyes. And so begins a rough ride to get her back that involves friends and neighbours who put aside their differences to help.

An absent father who may be dead (but may not) and the demands of being a single parent are probably enough for
Bill Ward
Aug 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a truly FUN book! The author fills the pages with clever prose, great descriptions and very sharp wit. An interesting assortment of characters and a twisting plot keep you turning the pages. I loved the elderly neighbor living next door to our protagonist and the humorous exchanges between the two of them. There is suspense and a mystery at the heart of the story plus a great twist at the end.
A really enjoyable read and excellent debut novel, which I strongly recommend.
Donna Maguire

I thought that this book was very good and a great read!  The book starts off at a great pace which continues to the end.  You really are left guessing, and wondering why everything has happened and as the book slowly unravels everything is revealed.

The location is great for the book and the suspense building up is great. The book has some great characters and the word play is great which a touch of comedy and wit in the right places to set the book apart
Susan Hampson
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
You have to love a book that is shrouded in mystery as soon as you begin to read it and that is exactly what Jim Ody gives you. A puzzle, a kidnapping and a burial 7 years before that had to take place without a body! By now you are on the 5th page of the book. Pretty cool. Now time to rewind and see how it all came about.

This is brilliant entertainment as I didn't get quite what I thought I was going to get, I got much more. There is a tight bunch of characters so it is really easy to know wher
Caroline
Feb 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
A fun thriller with an interesting protagonist, for a more complete review check out my blog post on Lost connections here https://readingconfessionsblog.wordpr...
Gillian
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Eddie takes Daisy his twelve year old daughter to Caulfield Hall a family home he inherited after his father Gordon went missing over seven years ago and was declared officially dead after five. He decided it was time to make some money from it.
While Daisy is outside sweeping leaves Eddie is inside trying to access his fathers study. He hears a noise outside his heckles are up he has a bad feeling when he goes outside he sees a white van one man is outside speaking to Daisy who looks nervous an
Simon Leonard
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant book

This is a brilliant book for a debut.  The reader is thrown straight into the action as soon as you start reading and never lets up until the end.

The book starts with a prologue, in which the main characters daughter is bundled into a vehicle and kidnapped.  Form this moment on the kidnappers demand things from Eddie's father, who disappeared a long time ago, and Eddie has no idea what it is or how to get it.

The story itself is interesting as it follows the main characters and the
Thingsinherhead
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mystery Thriller with a lot of different things mixed up together that you might think will not go well together but was really played well in this novel. An exciting story that will make sense as each POV reveals something that can be connected to everything…

Read my full review here --> https://thingsnherhead.tumblr.com/pos...
Terry  (TBC)
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When his daughter is kidnapped all hell is let loose. Eddie has to work out what his Dad has hidden that the kidnappers want so much that they took Daisy! And his Dad has been missing for years.
His friends and some family help him in sorts to work out what’s going on.
A suspenseful tale that does swap between characters & time but is not confusing. Each character is well padded out and is either likeable or unlikeable depending on what side they’re on.
Another great book by Jim Ody
A.J. Griffiths-Jones
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a mystery novel with a twist. Having found out that the main character's daughter has been kidnapped, we are then introduced to his complex friends & family, all with issues & all with colourful pasts. As the story progesses, the reader is treated to some witty one-liners & a fast-paced narrative as the jigsaw is pieced together to work out how & why Daisy has been taken. With an unexpected ending that left me open-mouthed, it was a great read. I look forward to more by t ...more
Joy Mutter
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I’ve read by Jim Ody and I was pleasantly surprised. At first, I thought Lost Connections was going to be a straightforward, maybe heart-wrenching book about the kidnap of Daisy, the daughter of Eddie, the main character, but the book became more intriguing and multifaceted as I read on, with jewels of humour scattered about to win me over. There weren’t too many characters to confuse me; they were all credible and I particularly enjoyed Jez and Miss Chambers. As a spunky, ...more
Emma Mitchell
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
We are immediately thrown in the deep end with Lost Connections, Eddie's daughter is kidnapped and his father has disappeared, all within the first five pages! Talk about hooking you in!
Jim is very cleaver in his writing, starting at the end and then flashing back through the view points of several characters, building up to reveal the reasons behind his daughters kidnapping.
If you are a regular reader of my blog, you will know about the special shelf I have for those authors who manage to do th
roxy reads123
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
omg I was in the edge of my seat all the way through this book. this book is about a kidnapping for reasons you don't know, and it unfolds all the way through this book, you have so many questions and the answers are so surprising and shocking, its amazing.
the writing was so lovely and flowed nicely, the reading pace was perfect, I got through this quick as I was hooked. in this book you get so many people point of view to reveal there backgrounds.

I throughly enjoyed this book, so much suspense,
David Gilchrist
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great debut novel from Jim Ody, he creates some really nice characters that are described very well indeed. An interesting story line about the kidnapping of his daughter, this is not a spoiler, it is given in the prologue. Not often we have a tattoo artist as the main character.
Lori
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great read

I thought this was another book about kidnapping but as it turns out.....more than that! I enjoyed this book very much

Jacky Dahlhaus
May 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Funny story :)
Samantha
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The beginning of this book hit me with pure shock and awe and had me hooked instantly. There was no shortage of mysteries set up within the first few chapters, and I was eager to know more of how Eddie would go about solving them. As I read further, the story deepened layer by layer. I enjoy the mental adventure that Ody's books always take me on. As I got deeper and saw that more and more people were getting involved, I was on the edge of my seat waiting to see how things would turn out. The ac ...more
Meleaha Howard
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book starts out with a bang, and the mystery and suspense goes until the very end! When Edward's daughter is kidnapped, he is told he needs to get "something" from his father's study. The only problem is he has NO idea what he is looking for. He and his friends are doing their best to figure out what the kidnappers want and how to get Daisy back. Who can Edward trust? Who is behind all of this? What do they want?
Elizabeth Rundle
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It had me on the hook from page one! Jim Ody definitely outdid himself while writing this book. I had a very hard time putting this book down once I had started reading it! There is no expense on drama, friendships, love, and mistakes. All of which is woven into a wonderful tale! Would absolutely LOVE a sequel to be written, letting us readers know what has gone one after this one ended. Well Done Jim Ody!
M.W. Brown
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers
Highly recommended.
I loved all the characters and was wonderfully drawn into their lives as the story unfolded. I was running around with them, feeling their fears and frustrations and couldn't wait to see what happened next. I want to live in Caulfield House!
If you love thrillers and suspense, this is the book for you.
Dee Williams
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was hooked from the first page. This starts with a bang and slowly sucks you into the plot. Some wonderful and eccentric characters also feature in the story, so even when the story gets tense, there is still humour from the characters. This is the second book I have read by this author and I will certainly be reading more. I would recommend this book.
Pam Chantrell
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Slightly slow start but worth persevering.
Tabitha Hartman
This was my first full length book by Jim and I wasn’t disappointed.. he pulls you right in from the very beginning and you can’t put it down until you know what happens. Excellent storyline and very believable characters.
Tina Guo
Jan 05, 2019
Nicola
Apr 12, 2017
Mrs Janet Sykes
Apr 14, 2017
Jim Ody
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Eva
Mar 23, 2017
Jim spent 10 years writing music reviews and interviewing bands for a rock music website. He also contributed lifestyle and comedic features and piems to a number of webdites.

Jim now writes Psychological/Thrillers that often end with his trademark twist! He doesn't believe in being restrained by genres and looks to blur the lines between them.

He has had four novels and a handful of short stories p