Start by marking “Decolonize Your Diet: Plant-Based Mexican-American Recipes for Health and Healing” as Want to Read:

International Latino Book Award winner, Best Cookbook

More than just a cookbook, Decolonize Your Diet redefines what is meant by "traditional" Mexican food by reaching back through hundreds of years of history to reclaim heritage crops as a source of protection from modern diseases of development. Authors Luz Calvo and Catriona Rueda Esquibel are life partners; when Lu

Published January 4th 2016 by Arsenal Pulp Press (first published October 13th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Decolonize Your Diet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Decolonize Your Diet

Teresa McCarthy
Nov 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is full of healthy, plant-based Mexican-American recipes, but it's much more than that. The authors place these recipes in the context of the continent's colonial history, reclamation of culture, social justice, and intersectionality. It's a delicious education aimed particularly at Latinx people and First Nations, but helpful for anyone who wants to move beyond colonial perceptions of indigenous foodways.

Here is a link to my full review: http://onewetfoot.ca/2015/11/26/holid...
Migdalia Jimenez
A rare and well researched examination of how European conquest & colonization changed the diets of Indigenous peoples of the Americas for the worse and how we can take steps to reverse the harm.

The authors, Calvo and Rudea Esquibel, use historical sources to show how the indigenous people of america were discouraged from their previously healthy diets high in fresh vegetables, fruits, beans and little to no meat, and were made to embrace meat, cheese, wheat, cooking oils, etc, which has in
Esther Servin
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book came to be when two sisters found out that one of the sisters had cancer so that sister started to get healthier. The older sister decolonized her diet and help her sister do the same, they grow there own garden and made a book with some of their of their food that they mad.
Hollie
Jan 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not fully plant-based, if that's what you're looking for. Some recipes contain eggs and butter. But overall an interesting read. A lot of ingredients it may not easy to find, but that's the adventure.
Melissa Espiritu
This is the only cookbook I’ve ever read that makes me feel confident about actually going vegan. The recipes look soooo good. We tried the cauliflower ceviche at home and it was DELICIOUS!

A lot of vegan cookbooks have recipes with ingredients I wouldn’t normally use or know where to buy. Or they use a lot of substitutions and I’m not a fan of recipes like that. (I’m looking at you vegan patties. Stop pretending to be real meat)

What is great about this cookbook is most of the ingredients ar
Alicia
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easily one of my very favourite cookbooks but, really, it's so much more than that. I'll treasure and refer to this amazing book for years to come!
Debbi
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. It is a great primer on food justice. The authors are thoughtful, the writing is good and perhaps most important the recipes are simple and delicious. A couple of observations: some of the recipes are more labor-intensive than they need to be, for instance, they often use a pestle and mortar where I would whirl the ingredients in a food processor or blender still I like the fact that they include the low tech option. Second, I wasn't sure how hot some of the chilis would be in ...more
Kate
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received an advanced digital copy of this book.

I really enjoyed this book for many reasons. My husband is of Mexican heritage from immigrant parents. My MiL grew up on a ranch in rural Mexico, so cooking traditional foods was innate to her upbringing. We've all learned from that, including this German-Irish girl who married into the family.

This book is like having a wise abuelita showing you the traditional ways to cook and heal. I am thankful for this knowledge and for the preservation of the
Akiva
The recipes we've tried look luscious but have been only moderately successful on average, with some fails and some wins. I want to make more from this book though!

Be warned that you will be asked to buy half a dozen different kinds of dried chilies to make most of the recipes; each recipe tends to involve at least 2-3 different kinds.
Adriana Pérez valdez
The recipes are so delicious, healthy, authentic, and environmentally friendly. I just wish this was in Spanish so I could give it to my friends and family in Mexico.

Somehow similar to what you would find in http://mmmole.com but with history about our traditions and a healthier approach. Great for vegans, vegetarians, or just people who enjoy real Mexican food.
Taryn
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This cookbook takes us by way of food, down a pathway of social justice. Good reading and good food!
Forgottendreamr
Some very flavorful Mexican vegan options here. I enjoyed the concept of a lot of recipes, but didn't find any regular go-tos.
Nikki Reads A Lot
Interesting & informative re: food politics but a little too advanced for me.
Celeste Deluna
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have tried several recipes so far, which have all been delicious. Highly recommend the roasted Chipotle salsa.
X
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Their introduction is incredible and their recipes are delicious.
ػᶈᶏϾӗ
Ehhhhh..........
Bianca
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I learned so much from the intro of this cookbook. I literally cried. Real tears. It made a huge impact on me and made me realize how terribly we are treating our earth and our bodies in the ways we eat. The realization that what our grandparents ate directly impacts us (the egg we are made from was formed in our maternal grandmothers body) and that it’s important to recognize this in our own eating habits. And how this aligns with many cultures thoughts. It just all wrecked me. But in a good wa ...more
Christina
Cbsd library
Sep 22, 2015
Grace
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has a wealth of information on the effect of colonization on cultures in mesoamerica, especially the dietary changes and their effects on people from said cultures. The first part of the book is an in-depth discussion of this.

There's also a huge section on ingredients and techniques traditionally used.

And, of course, the rest is a cookbook. The recipes look wonderful and I look forward to trying them.
Robin
Apr 04, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Bikram's Beginning Yoga Class
  • Balaboosta
  • Fantasies of the Master Race: Literature, Cinema & the Colonization of American Indians
  • Cherry Bombe: The Cookbook
  • Unthinking Eurocentrism
  • The Twilight of Equality: Neoliberalism, Cultural Politics, and the Attack on Democracy
  • Indestructible