Start by marking “Darkness Descends (Elemental Kingdoms, #1)” as Want to Read:
Darkness Descends (Elemental Kingdoms, #1)

Darkness Descends

(Elemental Kingdoms #1)

Once there were many kingdoms of myth and legend, but six stood apart from the rest. They may have lost their origins, but they still possessed their elemental abilities of creation as well as destruction. Their rule was about to be threatened by an unseen group, who have waited patiently to make their move.

A group of powerful royal blooded teenagers are about to experien
Published January 1st 2016

To ask other readers questions about Darkness Descends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Darkness Descends

Liz
Jan 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, otherworldly, war
This book is intended for a younger audience- not sure if children would be able to follow some of the strategic war talk or should read about so much death, tragedy and conniving characters, but young teenagers should definitely be cool with this read.

Through tragic events the heirs and heiresses of different kingdoms end up together initially to find help for one of the kingdoms in trouble.. well, under fire actually. Their quest ends up having a bigger purpose for the good of all the kingdoms
David Baird
Jan 30, 2016 rated it liked it
I’m going to level with you, I requested to review this book for a couple reason. Firstly I liked the cover and the plot behind the book, who doesn’t love a bit of fantasy where people have powers. The second reason and also the main reason behind me wanting to review the book is I loved the story behind it.. I loved the fact Lauren came up with the idea and with the help of her father Peter has helped it come to fruition. I always love to see parents support their children.

I loved the story, th
Teresa Kander
Jan 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is an action-packed adventure. It will appeal to preteens and teens, as well as to adults who enjoy the fantasy genre. The main characters are a group of teenagers with magical abilities and royal blood.

The story ends with a cliffhanger which will leave you anxiously waiting for the next book in this series.

The fact that the author is a teenager makes this an even more amazing debut work. She has a talent that is definitely worth watching.

** I received a copy of this book in exchange for
Lynxie
DNF @ 6%

This book was written by a young teen and co-authored by her father, and as such, deserves to be commended. A lot of adults can't even do what this young woman has done.

But, I fear it was published prematurely. There are fundamentals of writing missing or incorrect in this piece. Overuse of adjectives and adverbs, repetition of the same pieces of information mere sentences apart, overuse of the same word in close proximity.

Additionally, the prose is wordy (particularly when describing p
Woodsman
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was a wonderful read, beautifully illustrated, with a lot of twists and even a cliff hanger ending. I am recently retired and decided to get either a science fiction, or fantasy book, that looked interesting to read in the evenings. I decided upon Elemental Kindoms, even though this book was probably more geared toward the younger audience, I enjoyed it very much and am looking forward to getting and reading the next installment in the series.

I am also impressed, by the fact, the book
Jaffa Kintigh
Feb 23, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: children-s, fantasy, magic, ya
This fantasy novel, that debuts a new series, targets an older child / young teen audience though I wouldn't recommend it for either. The main characters are all magic-wielding 14-16 y.o. royals that overwhelming act privileged, spoiled and snotty if not psychopathic. Their world is not unlike the Holy Roman Empire, divided into a multitude of small kingdoms with a larger pecking order. Six of the kingdoms stand out for having historic royal families that wield elemental magic. [ie Kingdoms of F ...more
Mel
Jan 25, 2016 rated it liked it
I received a free copy of this in exchange for an honest review. This was definitely my kind of book and after finding out it was a collaboration between 14 year old Lauren and her dad, I was even more determined to read.

I liked how the royal family were all introduced together, and then you saw Arden and Hawten's close brotherly relationship as they left the meeting.

The action started quite early on, which I enjoyed. I felt like I had been reading about the characters for years! I couldn't shak
Sarah Jackson
Feb 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Three and a half stars:

Treachery is afoot in the realm and the possessors of the elemental powers must seek each other out, join forces to develop their powers and work towards discovering their common enemy. This quest/fantasy novel is the first in a series of books exploring themes of friendship, collaboration and bravery. The story dives right into the action, while managing to avoid descriptions of extreme violence (a positive thing in a book designed for young people). The book is written b
Makayla
May 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
This book definitely has potential, but personally I do not believe this book was for me. It aimed towards a younger audience. I'm only 16, but I feel like I would enjoyed this a lot more when I was still in middle school. I had to DNF this book unfortunately. The idea for this novel is great! I love the concept! I just wasn't able to enjoy it like I hoped. If you're a young teen I would definitely suggest that you try reading this because there is a big chance you would really enjoy this book a ...more
Frank Lanzkron-tamarazo
Porsha
Mar 07, 2016
Taylor The Book Wench
Oct 04, 2016
At eleven years old, Lauren Arvo started working out the details to a suspenseful fantasy action novel. Three years later, in 2014, and with the assistance of her dad, Peter Arvo, that first manuscript became the basis for Elemental Kingdoms.

Lauren is a home schooled teenager who loves reading and writing about ancient myths and legends. She also enjoys participating in the online role-playing com

Elemental Kingdoms (2 books)
  • Grand Deception (Elemental Kingdoms, #2)