Start by marking “The Princess Companion: A Retelling of The Princess and the Pea (The Four Kingdoms, #1)” as Want to Read:

The Princess Companion: A Retelling of The Princess and the Pea

(The Four Kingdoms #1)

One dark and stormy night, lost and alone, Alyssa finds herself knocking on the door of a castle.

After a lifetime spent in the deep forest, Alyssa has no idea what to expect on the other side.

What she finds is two unruly young princesses and one very handsome prince. When Alyssa accepts the job of Princess Companion she knows her life will change. What she doesn’t know
Published January 2nd 2016 by Luminant Publications

To ask other readers questions about The Princess Companion, please sign up.
Emma The MC is 17-18 during the book but as far as mature content goes it’s really clean. There are only a few short kisses between her and her love intere…moreThe MC is 17-18 during the book but as far as mature content goes it’s really clean. There are only a few short kisses between her and her love interest and not any graphic violence. It’s good but not overly complicated and I think 13-14 on up would be fine. (less)
Melanie Cellier Hi Shaylee, The Princess Companion is currently available as a paperback from amazon.com.

Start your review of The Princess Companion: A Retelling of The Princess and the Pea (The Four Kingdoms, #1)
Emer (A Little Haze)
I was going to do a proper review on this but I just don't have enough to say about the story!!! So here is the abridged version.

Basically this was a reinterpretation of The Princess and the Pea but mashed up with a bunch of other fairytales. All in all it was very sweet and a very easy read. However, the story lacked anything to set it apart from other fairytale retellings.
The characters were very flat and one dimensional and while it all made for a very nice read, it was just too saccharine!
Maja  - BibliophiliaDK ✨
I LOVE FAIRY TALE RETELLINGS - JUST NOT THIS ONE

I absolutely love fairy tale retellings and because I haven't ever before come across another Princess and the Pea retelling, I was super excited for this one. Sadly, my excitement fell flat.

👎 WHAT I DISLIKED 👎

Unsurprising: I don't think there was one single thing that happened in this book, that I hadn't anticipated in some way. It was just way to predictable.

Flat: Really, not a whole lot happened in this book. It was such a flat experience - the
Dianne
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
No matter what your go-to genre is, admit it, you still like well-told fairytales. Here’s your chance to enjoy the re-telling of The Princess and the Pea, thanks to Melanie Cellier’s The Princess Companion!
In unsettling times, political alliances must be made, but the Queen still wants true love for her son. Who knew a dark and stormy night would bring a bedraggled woodcutter’s daughter to the castle door? Who could have known that strong-willed and resourceful girl could change the destiny of h
Celestria
Jul 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Did I stay up past 3am reading this book? Yes. Yes, I did. And I have few regrets. I downloaded this on a whim because it was free and was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed it. A fun, easy, clean read!
Amanda Hupe
Apr 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads
I have started another series! Guys, I think I have a problem. The afterlife is just an endless room full of books right? Because that will be the only way for me to catch up on all the books I want to read. So this new series is called The Four Kingdoms by Melanie Cellier. The first book is The Princess Companion: A Retelling of the Princess and the Pea. The book introduces Alyssa, a woodcutter’s daughter. She gets lost in the woods during the storm and finds herself at the castle and begging f ...more
Claude's Bookzone
2.5 Stars

A simple and sweet fairy tale retelling. I like the slightly feminist makeover but sadly it ultimately still felt like the Prince got the girl. Our heroine was undoubtedly smart and courageous and the warmth of her character oozed off the page. I prefer a bit of attitude in my heroines but I still appreciated Alyssa. An enjoyable read.
Amanda Hupe
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-reads
Shahad takleef
May 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Source : received an e-book copy of the book in exchange of an honest review .
thanks to author Melanie Cellier

Actual Rating : 3.5 stars

a nice well-told retelling of the princess and the pea with some subsided retelling of cinderella story which was a bit different and i really did enjoy reading it .
the whole book is nice and it gave me warm fuzzies .

the story of alyssa who lost her way in the forest then found her self in front of the royal winter castle . the plot progresses and she is assig
Sarah Elizabeth
(Downloaded for free from Amazon.co.uk)

This was a fairy tale retelling of The Princess and the Pea.

Alyssa was an okay character, and she seemed fairly resourceful and able to turn her hand to anything. She was also quick to remind people that she wasn’t a princess and didn’t deserve special treatment.

The storyline in this was about Alyssa going to a castle for shelter when lost in the woods, and ending up getting a job there as a companion to the two young princesses, while the King and Queen ha
Emma
I couldn’t put it down!! I really liked Max and Alyssa and their love story. And all the books.😍 I love how they read together. *sighh* Getting the queen’s story was also a really neat addition!
I recently read the first two Beyond the Four Kingdoms books so seeing the twins as eleven-years-olds was so much fun.
Amy
I am a sucker for princess and the pea retellings in ANY form (I once checked out every children's book my library had that told the story) so even though I went in with misgivings, I knew I had to give this one a try.
And it was...pleasant. Nothing to write home about but not anything I lightly dismiss either. The beautiful, kind heroine floats about doing beautiful, kind things; the charming, handsome prince strides about being charming and handsome; and the villain arrives and behaves with pr
Megan Olguin
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adorably cheesy and I loved it. Sometimes you just need a simple fairytale story with an enormously happy ending.
Lilian
Apr 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindleunlimited
Excellent story! definitely skipped out on a few hours of homework to read this.

Favorite characters: Princess Marie + Princesses Lily and Sophia (I hear there's a story about them in the next series which I'm hypeddd for). Wish we could've dived deeper into Max, though. I feel like I didn't really get to know much about him beyond the bare essentials.

oh and Felix and Nate and Harrison yessss
Camille
The Princess Companion was a lovely retelling of The Princess and the Pea fairy tale. After Alyssa, a woodcutter’s daughter, finds shelter at the royal family’s winter castle, she becomes the Princess Companion to the young twin princesses, Lily and Sophie. In addition, she befriends the sweet Prince Max, who is expected by his parents to host several foreign princesses in order to find the perfect bride.

Alyssa was a kind and smart heroine with a flair for storytelling and tending her mischievo
jess  (bibliophilicjester)
Ehhhhhh. *shrug* so here's the truth of it: this is a fun read, and if you judge books by enjoyment, you'll probably love this one (maybe the rest of the series too). It's an easy, light read. There's romance. There are obvious villains. Good triumphs over evil, the guy gets the girl, etc etc. You know how it goes. This book is exactly what you think it is: entertaining and fun. I'm harsh with ratings, and I think I'm pretty up front about it. If you like light and fluffy reads from time to time ...more
Jolly Per
Apr 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Note: I received a copy of this book in exchange of an honest review.

I have been obsessed with classic fairy tale retells ever since I read The Lunar Chronicles early this year. So when I read the synopsis and heard that the author was giving free copies of this book in exchange of an honest review, I quickly signed up and dived into it at once.

The Princess and the Pea was not a very famous fairy tale story unlike Cinderella, Snow White, Belle and such. I don't even remember Disney made a movie
Katie W
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fairytale
The story begins with a woodcutter's daughter, Alyssa, seeking shelter and finding a castle. The Winter Castle is the home of a royal family...for four months out of the year. She becomes the companion to the young twin princesses, also befriending their older brother, Max. Alyssa quickly becomes beloved of this royal people.

There is a definite Princess and the Pea vibe for the first part of the book, but then that feeling all but disappears. While still entertaining, another story emerges and
✿ℎazℯℓ - thℯ ℛock Cℎick ℱairy✿
After not being able to reading a novel for quite some time, this was a really enjoyable change of pace. I enjoyed some surprises along the way. The story's straightforward, and yet it's also not.

First off, I enjoyed Alyssa's temperament and the way she handled things. I like that she's neither clumsy nor overly proper. I like that while she speaks her mind, she also mindful of the words that will come out of her mouth. She might not have been born a princess, but she's surely cut out for royal
Kristi
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I was one of the Beta readers (test reader as I know the author), and I thought it had excellent character development, and a very unique take on the traditional fairy tale story. Well written too, especially for a first novel. Cant wait for the next one in the series!
Kathy Jo
For those of you who know me, you know I am not a fan of YA romance. I used to read it all the time but over the last few years, I just can’t.

So, imagine my surprise when I’m a good way into the book and realize that the heroine is 17 almost 18 years old. Confession. I did not read the synopsis at all. I downloaded the book on a recommendation from a book buddy. By this point I was already invested in the book, so I just kept reading.

The Princess Companion was a fun break from reality and I en
Catherine ~All for the greater glory of God~
I've only read one or two other Princess and the Pea retellings, but this book helped solidify them as one of my favorite types of retellings. I loved how this book kept me guessing despite being a retelling; it kept me engaged the whole time. The characters were lovable and felt real; the writing and world were both excellent.

Reread 2020: *swoons* This book will never get old. And it looks so pretty on my shelf!! Sooo gorgeous! I want them all!
Merie Shen
I liked Alyssa and Max. I loved Lily and Sophie. This is the first time I've reread this in years, and I think I liked it better this time around! I definitely appreciated the other characters more. It's a shame some of them don't reappear in the series!
Sharon  (enjoythefandomlife)
I really LOVED this book. Compared to my previous books for which I sometimes had to force myself to stick to my reading time and even neglected it, I found myself trying to make more time to read this book as soon as possible. I'm glad I ordered the rest of the main books of The Four Kingdoms!
Full review coming soon to my blog.

-----

The fairy tale retellings from Melanie Cellier have been on my reading list for a very long time, and the first book in the series was slowly being covered in dust
Annette
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It seems that at the moment I'm in this huge fairytale retelling mood. I just wanna read about princes and princesses falling in love, having a hard time and eventually getting their happily ever after. I wanna be pulled to the edge of my seat while knowing that things will be alright in the end. I want swoonworthy guys and girls I can identify with. And I already hoped that this book would be perfect to satisfy my current needs.

And it absolutely totally was! The main character of the story, Aly
Kristen Kooistra
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars

This was January's book for my book club. I accidentally read a later book in the series *oops* first, so I was really curious to see how the author had started things out. Though I prefer the twins later story, I still really enjoyed this.

Alyssa makes a great main character and it was easy to like her. The part of the Princess and the Pea story that is in here is pretty much stuck into the first couple of chapters. A new twist as I'm used to the bit with the pea coming in much later in
Maddielucy(Patti)
Sep 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this re-telling of the Princess and the Pea. Its filled with great characters, both heroes and villains. Alyssa is a great character you will live and Prince Max is exactly what he should be. Princesses Lilly and Sophia are adorable and the end is exactly what I wanted. Great, happy book!!
Coralie
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book 1 in Melanie Cellier's Four Kingdom's Series! Princess and the Pea is so underrated, but this retelling totally took the cake! The story nodded to the fairytale, but grew a life all it's own--an intricate and thrilling life! The plot drew me in and held suspense and tension in many points. I also really liked the way the book was formatted. Not only was it well-written, but it was well-formatted too, and in such a way as to draw the reader in even further to the plot. I particularly enjoyed ...more
Silver Petticoat
Read this entire review here: YA BOOK REVIEW: THE PRINCESS COMPANION – A ROMANTIC RETELLING OF ‘THE PRINCESS AND THE PEA’

Review by Bailey Cavender

Overall Rating = 4.5; Romance Rating = 5

The story unfolds in a very satisfying way. Because Alyssa is telling the story, the reader finds out things out as she does, so we put the pieces together gradually. This keeps the reader guessing and invested in the plot. This, along with the description of Arcadia, makes The Princess Companion a book well wort
June
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received this novel from the author free in exchange for a honest opinion.

Who doesn't want to read a fairy tale retelling these days? Well, what woman at least. While the princess and the pea is not one of my favorite fairytale I enjoyed the adaptation that Melanie did here. I almost want to give bonus points for her not having insta-love or a love triangle. She did try to counter these and other ya tropes. Whilst the age group of the protagonists doesn't quite fit the actions I still enjoyed
Chasity(Bookworm)
May 02, 2020 rated it really liked it

• An Unnatural Beanstalk (Entwined Tales, #2)
  • A Bear's Bride (Entwined Tales, #3)
  • A Beautiful Curse (Entwined Tales, #4)
  • Traitor's Masque (Andari Chronicles, #1)
  • A Little Mermaid (Entwined Tales, #5)
  • A Goose Girl (Entwined Tales, #1)
  • Princess of Shadows (Fairy Tale Adventures, #1)
  • Spelled (The Kingdom Chronicles, #2)
  • Pathways (The Kingdom Chronicles, #1)
  • Identity (The Kingdom Chronicles #3)
  • Goldheart (Andari Chronicles, #2)
  • Beauty and the Beast (Timeless Fairy Tales, #1)
  • Pirouette (Andari Chronicles, #3)
  • Puss in Boots (Timeless Fairy Tales, #6)
  • The Wild Swans (Timeless Fairy Tales, #2)
  • Princess of Secrets (Fairy Tale Adventures, #2)
  • Reflection (The Kingdom Chronicles, #4)
  • The Frog Prince (Timeless Fairy Tales, #9)
Melanie Cellier grew up on a staple diet of books, books and more books. And although she got older, she never stopped loving children’s and young adult novels.
 She always wanted to write one herself, but it took three careers and three different continents before she actually managed it.

She now feels incredibly fortunate to spend her time writing from her home in Adelaide, Australia where she

The Four Kingdoms (5 books)
  • The Princess Fugitive: A Reimagining of Little Red Riding Hood (The Four Kingdoms, #2)
  • The Princess Pact: A Twist on Rumpelstiltskin (The Four Kingdoms, #3)
  • The Princess Game: A Reimagining of Sleeping Beauty (The Four Kingdoms, #4)
  • The Princess Search: A Retelling of The Ugly Duckling (The Four Kingdoms, #5)