Start by marking “The Princess Companion: A Retelling of The Princess and the Pea (The Four Kingdoms, #1)” as Want to Read:

The Princess Companion: A Retelling of The Princess and the Pea

(The Four Kingdoms #1)

One dark and stormy night, lost and alone, Alyssa finds herself knocking on the door of a castle.

After a lifetime spent in the deep forest, Alyssa has no idea what to expect on the other side.

What she finds is two unruly young princesses and one very handsome prince. When Alyssa accepts the job of Princess Companion she knows her life will change. What she doesn’t know
Published January 2nd 2016 by Luminant Publications

To ask other readers questions about The Princess Companion, please sign up.
Melanie Cellier Hi Shaylee, The Princess Companion is currently available as a paperback from amazon.com.
Emma The MC is 17-18 during the book but as far as mature content goes it’s really clean. There are only a few short kisses between her and her love…moreThe MC is 17-18 during the book but as far as mature content goes it’s really clean. There are only a few short kisses between her and her love interest and not any graphic violence. It’s good but not overly complicated and I think 13-14 on up would be fine. (less)

Emer (A Little Haze)
May 02, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read2016, 1star, reviewed
I was going to do a proper review on this but I just don't have enough to say about the story!!! So here is the abridged version.

Basically this was a reinterpretation of The Princess and the Pea but mashed up with a bunch of other fairytales. All in all it was very sweet and a very easy read. However, the story lacked anything to set it apart from other fairytale retellings.
The characters were very flat and one dimensional and while it all made for a very nice read, it was just too saccharine!
Dianne
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
No matter what your go-to genre is, admit it, you still like well-told fairytales. Here’s your chance to enjoy the re-telling of The Princess and the Pea, thanks to Melanie Cellier’s The Princess Companion!
In unsettling times, political alliances must be made, but the Queen still wants true love for her son. Who knew a dark and stormy night would bring a bedraggled woodcutter’s daughter to the castle door? Who could have known that strong-willed and resourceful girl could change the destiny of h
Shahad takleef
May 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Source : received an e-book copy of the book in exchange of an honest review .
thanks to author Melanie Cellier

Actual Rating : 3.5 stars

a nice well-told retelling of the princess and the pea with some subsided retelling of cinderella story which was a bit different and i really did enjoy reading it .
the whole book is nice and it gave me warm fuzzies .

the story of alyssa who lost her way in the forest then found her self in front of the royal winter castle . the plot progresses and she is assig
(Downloaded for free from Amazon.co.uk)

This was a fairy tale retelling of The Princess and the Pea.

Alyssa was an okay character, and she seemed fairly resourceful and able to turn her hand to anything. She was also quick to remind people that she wasn’t a princess and didn’t deserve special treatment.

The storyline in this was about Alyssa going to a castle for shelter when lost in the woods, and ending up getting a job there as a companion to the two young princesses, while the King and Queen ha
Megan Olguin
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adorably cheesy and I loved it. Sometimes you just need a simple fairytale story with an enormously happy ending.
Jolly Per
Apr 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Note: I received a copy of this book in exchange of an honest review.

I have been obsessed with classic fairy tale retells ever since I read The Lunar Chronicles early this year. So when I read the synopsis and heard that the author was giving free copies of this book in exchange of an honest review, I quickly signed up and dived into it at once.

The Princess and the Pea was not a very famous fairy tale story unlike Cinderella, Snow White, Belle and such. I don't even remember Disney made a movie
Kristi
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I was one of the Beta readers (test reader as I know the author), and I thought it had excellent character development, and a very unique take on the traditional fairy tale story. Well written too, especially for a first novel. Cant wait for the next one in the series!
Kathy Jo
For those of you who know me, you know I am not a fan of YA romance. I used to read it all the time but over the last few years, I just can’t.

So, imagine my surprise when I’m a good way into the book and realize that the heroine is 17 almost 18 years old. Confession. I did not read the synopsis at all. I downloaded the book on a recommendation from a book buddy. By this point I was already invested in the book, so I just kept reading.

The Princess Companion was a fun break from reality and I en
Catherine ~All for the greater glory of God~
I've only read one or two other Princess and the Pea retellings, but this book helped solidify them as one of my favorite types of retellings. I loved how this book kept me guessing despite being a retelling; it kept me engaged the whole time. The characters were lovable and felt real; the writing and world were both excellent.
Camille
The Princess Companion was a lovely retelling of The Princess and the Pea fairy tale. After Alyssa, a woodcutter’s daughter, finds shelter at the royal family’s winter castle, she becomes the Princess Companion to the young twin princesses, Lily and Sophie. In addition, she befriends the sweet Prince Max, who is expected by his parents to host several foreign princesses in order to find the perfect bride.

Alyssa was a kind and smart heroine with a flair for storytelling and tending her mischievo
Katie W
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fairytale
The story begins with a woodcutter's daughter, Alyssa, seeking shelter and finding a castle. The Winter Castle is the home of a royal family...for four months out of the year. She becomes the companion to the young twin princesses, also befriending their older brother, Max. Alyssa quickly becomes beloved of this royal people.

There is a definite Princess and the Pea vibe for the first part of the book, but then that feeling all but disappears. While still entertaining, another story emerges and
Annette
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It seems that at the moment I'm in this huge fairytale retelling mood. I just wanna read about princes and princesses falling in love, having a hard time and eventually getting their happily ever after. I wanna be pulled to the edge of my seat while knowing that things will be alright in the end. I want swoonworthy guys and girls I can identify with. And I already hoped that this book would be perfect to satisfy my current needs.

And it absolutely totally was! The main character of the story, Aly
Kristen Kooistra
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars

This was January's book for my book club. I accidentally read a later book in the series *oops* first, so I was really curious to see how the author had started things out. Though I prefer the twins later story, I still really enjoyed this.

Alyssa makes a great main character and it was easy to like her. The part of the Princess and the Pea story that is in here is pretty much stuck into the first couple of chapters. A new twist as I'm used to the bit with the pea coming in much later in
jess  (bibliophilicjester)
Ehhhhhh. *shrug* so here's the truth of it: this is a fun read, and if you judge books by enjoyment, you'll probably love this one (maybe the rest of the series too). It's an easy, light read. There's romance. There are obvious villains. Good triumphs over evil, the guy gets the girl, etc etc. You know how it goes. This book is exactly what you think it is: entertaining and fun. I'm harsh with ratings, and I think I'm pretty up front about it. If you like light and fluffy reads from time to time ...more
June
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received this novel from the author free in exchange for a honest opinion.

Who doesn't want to read a fairy tale retelling these days? Well, what woman at least. While the princess and the pea is not one of my favorite fairytale I enjoyed the adaptation that Melanie did here. I almost want to give bonus points for her not having insta-love or a love triangle. She did try to counter these and other ya tropes. Whilst the age group of the protagonists doesn't quite fit the actions I still enjoyed
Shruti
Apr 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fairy tale lovers
(I received an R2R copy of the book)

It is indeed a fantastic book!!
Liked it!! The story revolved around Alyssa. She is amazing. Even after living in the woods all her life, being a woodcutter's daughter, she had the regal aura to her behavior. She could read the people and understand them well. She had a very curious mind. She is selfless and always ready to do anything for her friends.

The part that I found most interesting was the the way she could read people. Just by having a look at the Pri
Sharon Mariampillai
I received a copy from the author, in exchange for an honest review.

This was a good read. I thought it was a good retelling of The Princess and the Pea. I thought the characters were good, but they could have been better. The book was a bit boring at times. It took the book a long time to reveal the 'pea' thing. I liked Alyssa the best out of the characters. I want to find out what happens in the next book, The Princess Fugitive. Overall, an okay read.
Bryn
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't like fairytale retellings. I don't read books with dramatic girls in even more dramatic poses on the cover.

...I adored this story.

There, that's enough enigma for one day.

So, scat, go read it while I go off to devour the next one.

My only complaint on this lovely was that the middle dragged ......... on ........ horribly. But the climax was well worth my few chapters of boredom.
J.M. Stengl
A lovely beginning to this series of fairy-tale retellings set in a vivid fantasy world. This story gives depth and meaning to a lesser-known tale, and the character development is delightful! The three bridal "contestants" for the prince are intriguing, and I was delighted to discover that each of them has her own follow-up book.
A reader will find it easy to sink into this story world and forget all else!
Fun reading. Highly recommended!

Jenna
An enjoyable read. The subplot/backstory with the King and Queen was interesting and I wish they had more page-time (or perhaps a companion novel is in order/already exists). I liked the heroine and some of the side characters (Marie, Mathilde), but I admit I found the Prince rather dull. (I was glad he wasn't all stereotypically alpha male, but I never really got that interested in him either).
Sonya
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This novel surprise me, I couldn't put it down. I fell in love with all the characters. Especially because of all the relationships that came about as the story folded. This is one best books I have read this year. I can't wait for more of her novels. Amazin read!!!
Coralie
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book 1 in Melanie Cellier's Four Kingdom's Series! Princess and the Pea is so underrated, but this retelling totally took the cake! The story nodded to the fairytale, but grew a life all it's own--an intricate and thrilling life! The plot drew me in and held suspense and tension in many points. I also really liked the way the book was formatted. Not only was it well-written, but it was well-formatted too, and in such a way as to draw the reader in even further to the plot. I particularly enjoyed ...more
Pamela(AllHoney)
Retelling of the Princess and the Pea fairy Tale and the first book in The Four Kingdoms series by Melanie Cellier. Woodcutter's daughter, Alyssa gets separated from her traveling companions and ends up at the the Royal Winter Castle. She is mistaken for a visiting princess and sent to sleep in the bed meant for the princesses. The next morning after not sleeping all that well in the lumpy bed, Alyssa reveals her identity to the royal family. She is then hired as the royal princesses' companion. ...more
Cindy
Apr 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Alyssa was looking for work, but she hadn’t planned on working for the Royal Family of Arcadia. Still, a job’s a job. And that hot prince is pretty nice boss.

So, what do you need to know about this book? It’s a fairy tale, with lots of fairy tale stuff – a woodcutter’s daughter, a handsome prince, his twin younger sisters, evil bad guys, and true love conquering all. The writing was good and I really enjoyed it. I would rate it as pretty solid, but not outstanding. Still, I would be happy to rea
Jill
A sweet, clever retelling that sweeps in bits from a few other fairy tales while also giving satisfying depth to The Princess and the Pea. I enjoyed the heroine's character development and am delighted to see that princesses introduced in this book feature in the follow-on stories.
This is a great book for a reader who enjoys a sweet fairy tale with good setting and enjoyable characters--the kind of book that gives a satisfied feeling not just at the end but all the way through.
Ideal for young re
Raquel Evans
Since I accidentally started with the author's later series, The Four Kingdoms and Beyond, the first thing I noticed is that her writing has improved since she wrote this book. I was intending to drop a star for that, but eventually there were too many things I loved about this book, so we'll call it 4 1/2 stars.

If you've ever wondered how a random peasant girl deals with high-level politics after marrying a prince, or why the princess in the original story was so rude, you might enjoy this book
Jolene
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Reimagined fun

While maybe not the first time fairy tales have been reimagined, this book does it well. The characters are believable, the world comfortingly familiar in terms of what you’d expect and overall a fun time. It was a page turner and I found myself eager to read each time I put it down. Would recommend
Kristy
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed it! The main character is charming, and the twists put on the original story are interesting. I put it down as four stars for some typos and the initially perplexing behavior of the prince, who is rude without there being any good answer given as to why. Other than that, it was good, and I'm definitely putting the other books of the series on my to-read list.
Angi Naerebout
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Loved. Alyssa was a great character and this was a great retelling of a fairy tale. I had no idea what to expect, but I love this world of the Four Kingdoms and I love all the characters. I also loved the time and depth put into the characters. I do think the ending came to conclusion a little too quickly, but that is my complaint. It’s a great world and I’m so exited that there are so many characters and books to still read about. Yay!
Brooklyn Tayla
I received a copy of this book from the author’s husband with me saying I would give it an honest review, all thoughts are my own.
I was instantly excited and intrigued by this, not knowing much about The Princess And The Pea, but curious to see what Adelaide born author Melanie Cellier would bring to the tale.
It was so refreshing and fun, the writing felt so effortless and the characters so natural! We have our main character, Alyssa, who finds herself to be the Companion to the young Royal Prin

• Princess of Shadows (Fairy Tale Adventures, #1)
  • The Spinner and the Slipper
  • The Twelve Dancing Princesses  (Timeless Fairy Tales, #10)
  • Traitor's Masque (Andari Chronicles, #1)
  • Anwen of Primewood (Eldentimber, #2)
  • Cendrilla: A Fairy Tale
  • The Green-Eyed Prince (The Classical Kingdoms, #0.5)
  • Fated: Cinderella's Story (Destined, #1)
  • First Light (Forever After, #1)
  • Once Upon a Happy Ending: An Anthology of Reimagined Fairy Tales
Melanie Cellier grew up on a staple diet of books, books and more books. And although she got older, she never stopped loving children’s and young adult novels. She always wanted to write one herself, but it took three careers and three different continents before she actually managed it.

She now feels incredibly fortunate to spend her time writing from her home in Adelaide, Australia where she ke

The Four Kingdoms (5 books)
  • The Princess Fugitive: A Reimagining of Little Red Riding Hood (The Four Kingdoms, #2)
  • The Princess Pact: A Twist on Rumpelstiltskin (The Four Kingdoms, #3)
  • The Princess Game: A Reimagining of Sleeping Beauty (The Four Kingdoms, #4)
  • The Princess Search (The Four Kingdoms, #5)
“Sometimes I have good ideas, sometimes I have bad ideas and sometimes I have colossally bad ideas.” 3 likes
“I am soft. But that doesn't mean I'm not brave. I just save my bravery for when it's actually needed.” 2 likes