Start by marking “Skulduggery Pleasant (Skulduggery Pleasant, #1)” as Want to Read:
Skulduggery Pleasant (Skulduggery Pleasant, #1)

Skulduggery Pleasant

Crackerjack Sorcerer
and
Walking, Talking,
Fire-throwing Skeleton

—as well as ally, protector, and mentor of Stephanie Edgley, a very unusual and darkly talented twelve-year-old.

These two alone must defeat an all-consuming ancient evil.

The end of the world?

Over his dead body.
Published April 3rd 2007 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Skulduggery Pleasant, please sign up.
George I'm about 4 times your age, and didn't find it too childish to enjoy. I did find excessive the coincidences and unlikely chances that were required to…moreI'm about 4 times your age, and didn't find it too childish to enjoy. I did find excessive the coincidences and unlikely chances that were required to produce the multiple hairsbreadth escapes from death or capture when convenient--and the opposite in the minority of encounters, whatever was convenient to the plot! But those mar plenty of action fiction aimed at adults.

However, despite Dugglyn Carzainia's answer to this question, I don't intend to read the sequels. One was enough for me.(less)
Isabella Anderson This is a really good series that is definitely worth reading. It also has a good balance of wit and action which are two qualities that make this…moreThis is a really good series that is definitely worth reading. It also has a good balance of wit and action which are two qualities that make this series amazing.(less)

·  45,997 ratings  ·  3,730 reviews

Booknut
Feb 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
"So you won't keep anything from me again?"
He put his hand to his chest. "Cross my heart and hope to die."
"Okay then. Though you don't actually have a heart," she said.
"I know."
"And technically, you've already died."
"I know that too."
"Just so we're clear."

When Stephanie Edgley’s Uncle Gordon – a writer of horror novels – passes away, she meets his one-time friend Skulduggery Pleasant…who just happens to be a skeleton wizard-detective, that believes he is invincible and has the world’s bigg
Jasmine
Aug 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Jasmine by: A good friend that I will always thank
description

“Doors are for people with no imagination.”

I will always remember when I first read this. It was back in 2009. I was over at a friend's house when her older sister, Emma, recommended it to me. "I just know you'll love it," she told me when she handed her copy over.

You have to understand that, at this point, I wasn't a big reader. Yeah I didn't mind reading, but I also didn't love it. I didn't sit down for hours on end with a book in my hand. I didn't value the power of words as much as I do no
Qt
Apr 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I loved discovering this book; I thought it had a very fun mixture of magic, action, creepiness, and humor--plus, I really love the title character :-)
ambsreads
To preface this; I don't recommend this book. 98% of my friend's list will hate it. It's not good. It's the memory of the book and the utter enjoyment I felt while reading it which gave it four stars.

Skulduggery Pleasant is a series I discovered during my first year at high school. I was on a vampire kick after falling in love with Twilight but figured I should read something else instead of re-reading the series for the 50th. Due to this, I found many of my favourite series of today including C
Layla ✷ Praise the sun ✷
Mar 11, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy, ya
I really tried to like this book. I really did.
I failed.

My major issue was that it was all 150% predictable.

The story felt like I had read it all before: A little Harry Potter with a little Mission Impossible and a pinch of X-Men and a grain of blabla.

The character writing was superficial and especially the heroine, Stephanie, did not convince me at all.

Flat, unlikeable, unbelievable, one-dimensional.

From one day to the next, she lives in a world she didn't know existed, and guess what?
She
Kimberley doruyter
a re-read and like always so worth the time
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
I have had the print book on my bookshelf for years, but I decided to try the audiobook from my library as this looked like it would be fun to listen to. Turns out I was right. This was a lot of fun. The narrator was great. He had a delicious Irish accent, although he modified it to suit other characters. I liked his sort of flat tone he used for Skulduggery, making him sound kind of ironic and mysterious, like there was a lot going on under the surface.

At first, it's a bit odd. There's some wei
Rusty's Ghost Engine (also known as.......... Jinky Spring)
Review first posted

Usually, if a friend of recommends a young adult book featuring a magic and walking, talking skeleton....who is also wise cracking and hilarious I would have turned my nose up thinking it was too young and silly. But this book proved right from the first pages that it was worth giving a chance.

First of all I loved Skulduggery from the moment we met him. He was funny, smart and also badass and the author did a really good job of making hi
Jo
“Doors are for people with no imagination.”

Initial Final Page Thoughts.
When I grow up I want to be Stephanie Edgley.

High Points.
Skulduggery Pleasant. Stephanie. Banter, so much banter. Dublin. Witty prose. Canary Cars. Supporting characters. Cloak and daggers shizz. Willpower. Magic. Raising Cain. The Girl from Ipanema. A fantastic start to a promising series.

Low Points.
As much as I love Skulduggery and Stephanie, I would have liked there to have been more time spent with the other character
paula
Skulduggery Pleasant is Derek Landy's first book for children, and the second is already in the can, which is a Very Good Thing. His characters are broadly drawn, meaty, yet precise - like Chinese calligraphy done with a big fat brush dripping with ink. The dialogue is snappy, with some fun deconstructionist bits; and the plot is just twisty enough: not even the very close listener Mr. Four could find any holes.

But the real revelation here is Skulduggery Pleasant himself, a several-hundred-year-
Alexandra
*** 4/27/18 $1.99 for Kindle ***

Detective story with a fantasy twist. Skulduggery Pleasant is a sentient skeleton, detective, who also can do magic. He's good natured, with a delightfully dry wit. He teams up with 12 year old Stephanie to find out who killed her beloved uncle. Stephanie is spunky, clever and pretty quick witted herself. Their good natured bickering and conversations often had me chuckling out loud. Their relationship is what I liked best about this story.

"Being a detective isn't
Mark
Dec 06, 2010 rated it liked it
[Note: from the charming Georgina's comments on this review, I've come to believe I am too far outside the age range. I still believe what I wrote, it's just that the concerns of my review are mostly irrelevent to the book's average reader. Cheers!]

Disappointing. The title/name and the cover illustration really appealed to me, but the book was generic and unbelievable from the start. I suppose some could be forgiven considering that the intended audience appears to be maybe 11 year olds (?), but
Mario
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-read, own
There’s no such thing as winning or losing. There is won and there is lost, there is victory and defeat. There are absolutes. Everything in between is still left to fight for. Serpine will have won only when there is no one left to stand against him. Until then, there is only the struggle, because tides do what tides do–they turn.

Skulduggery Pleasant is a novel about a skeleton detective and his sidekick Stephanie. After Stephanie's uncle dies, she meets Skulduggery and they set off on their adv
Yuli Atta - Damaged Pages
Apr 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Bulgarian review

Right now I don't feel like I need to express myself at all.
5 stars says it all ^^
Auntie Terror
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-urban
I really liked this one and will surely read on. Why I withheld a star is the lengthy fight scenes and the age-incongruety of Stephanie. [Prtf]
AnHeC the Paperback Obliterator
Word count: about 68 000
Rating: I’ll finish you like a cheesecake

For me it’s 3,5 * - keep in mind that it’s a positive rating. I liked that book. I really did.

EDIT.
The grand haze had been lifted! I come to tell you of a good book (no, don't shut your doors in my face, not that book, come on!). If you want a break from all the romance and drama (*I want to break feeeeeeeeeeee!*) of many today's books, you're in a right place! It's a pretty short book (well, as far as children's books are concern
Rebecca McNutt
May 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is a world all its own; its endless wit and imagination is aimed at children and teens but can be enjoyed by all ages. Stephanie is definitely original, a change of pace from your run-of-the-mill sheeple characters, and her best friend/guardian/sidekick is one of the most intriguing and complex characters I've ever read about in a kid's book; Skulduggery might be a skeleton but he's definitely got a lot of personality!

Skulduggery Pleasant has vibrant detail, vivid vocabulary and flambo
Mike (the Paladin)
Dec 31, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Interesting odd little book, a dead wizard...sort of. Well, I mean he's a skeleton, and you know, no skin or organs...but he's not really dead. Sort of.

Is this a kids book? It did strike me as odd how the reaction to a walking, talking skeleton didn't freak Stephanie out more completely.

Not a bad book, help track down the Faceless ones...if you dare. hee hee hee ... (or is that bwa-ha-ha?)

Some have suggested that there are some similarities between the Faceless Ones and Lovecraft's Great Old One
Ryan Buckby
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Doors are for people with no imagination.

This is one of those stories i went in not knowing if i would like it or not but once again i ended up really enjoying this book more than i thought i would.

Plot: This story takes place around a 12 year old girl named Stephanie who inherits her late uncles estate and is quickly thrown into a world she didn't know existed when someone shows up on her uncles door step wanting something and she has no idea why this man is there. Stephanie is eventually s
Veronique
Aug 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5*

I remember when I first discovered this series, back in 2009. It was one of my very first audiobooks, brilliantly produced and featuring the excellent voice of Rupert Degas. But what about the story? Well, as you can expect, having a talking, impeccably suited, skeleton as a detective, wielding magic, is going to be fun. And it is! The fantasy world the author creates is also one with a serious touch of darkness and horror, but all mixed with humour and snark, as expected for a middle grade
Lata
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Twelve-year old Stephanie Edgley is willed her uncle's home, and his supernatural problems, upon his death. This includes the friendship of Skullduggery Pleasant, a wry, sarcastic sorcerer who became a walking, talking skeleton after a run-in with an evil sorcerer. After they meet, Stephanie and Skullduggery work together to stop the evil sorcerer. Stephanie's an average person, but with her adventures with Skullduggery, learns there's a wider world of magic around her, and wants in. She proves ...more
Teodora
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-reader
I've heard so much about Skulduggery Pleasant and i finally decided to give it a try myself. I've always been drawn to these books, although i never had enough bravery to start them, because they are so many, but right now i'm glad i read the first one. It was really fun, easy to read and i can definitely see how the world is going to become even more complicated and interesting. Great beginning!
Nikki
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
First read in 2013
Second read in July, 2014
Third read 22 September, 2015
Audio book read 28 October 2016

Reading this series feels like coming home. I love it so, so much. The characters are awesome. The dialogue is Whedon-worthy. And it's just really clever and fun. Favourite series of all time for sure.

Audrey
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This Middle Grade story has the perfect blend of action, magic, and humor. Skulduggery is a great character with a darkly dry wit. The plot itself is a tad predictable for adults, but it’s a story you’ll enjoy reading to children, who will also love it.

I listened to this over two days on a road trip. The audio narrator did a good job, but sometimes his voice got so low, it was hard to hear.
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
One of the best children's urban fantasy books ever. The plot is interesting, the heroine strong and intelligent (and a girl!), and the book is genuinely funny. I listened to the audio version and the reader is exceptional. I laughed out loud many times and couldn't wait to listen to the next one.
Kaethe Douglas
Sep 24, 2009 marked it as abandoned
I wish I'd loved this because the name Skulduggery Pleasant is probably the best name ever.

Library copy
Kimberley doruyter
Jan 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
becomes better and better every time i read it.
Kathryn
So deliciously entertaining!!! I really loved the whole experience of this book. The story is excellent, and the narrator is outstanding, bringing this to a solid five stars from me.

This is the story of twelve-year-old Stephanie, who inherits her beloved but somewhat mysterious author uncle's fortune and estate after his sudden death. The unusual stranger at the reading of the will catches her eye--his voice, his mannerisms, his name (who is named Skulduggery Pleasant, after all!?), all so stran
poiboy
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Part One - The non-spoilery review of how fantasy should be this fun!

bookdepository.com classified this book as age 11-17 and I have to solidly disagree. Label it Fantasy and go on with it, lol. The book has dialogue and pacing that would be lost on an 11 to 14 year old. It's more just a fantasy book that happens to have a 12 year old female lead with a cleverly written skeletal hero. The book is fun. The book is funny. The book is exactly what you enjoyed years ago with Harry Potter (but this o
WHO ELSE THINKS DAT VALKYRIE AND SKULDUGGERY SHUD GET TOGETHER ?? 14 102 Apr 24, 2019 01:51AM
Is this becoming a movie? 1912 1274 Apr 08, 2019 09:08AM
Drop Everything A...: Skulduggery Pleasant - Cara, Laura, and Nights 31 10 Mar 02, 2019 10:45AM
Things Derek didnt tell us???? 3 54 Jun 12, 2018 01:57PM
Vampires, Weres a...: Skullduggery Pleasant 20 20 Jan 14, 2018 01:50PM
Skulduggery Pleasant 1 11 Nov 22, 2017 08:42PM

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Whales on Stilts (Pals in Peril, #1)
  • Starcross (Larklight, #2)
  • The True Meaning of Smekday
  • Dead Mann Running (Hessius Mann, #2)
  • Other Worlds
  • Alex and the Ironic Gentleman (Alex and the Ironic Gentleman, #1)
  • Scattered, Smothered and Chunked (Bubba the Monster Hunter #1)
  • Bloodline (Norwood #2)
  • Braineater Jones
  • Malice (Malice, #1)
  • Theodosia and the Staff of Osiris (Theodosia Throckmorton, #2)
  • The New Policeman (New Policeman, #1)
  • The Fire Chronicle (The Books of Beginning, #2)
  • Sophie's Secret (Sophie, #2)
  • Spellbinder (Spellbinder #1)
  • Castle Hangnail
  • Javelin Rain (Reawakening Trilogy #2)
Derek Landy is an Irish writer and screenwriter. In addition to the bestselling children's/YA series of Skulduggery Pleasant books, a supernatural mystery series starring Skulduggery Pleasant, a skeleton detective, and Valkyrie Cain, a young female magician, he has written two screenplays that have been made into films: the IFTA award winning "Dead Bodies" and the IFTA nominated "Boy Eats Girl". L ...more

Skulduggery Pleasant (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Playing with Fire (Skulduggery Pleasant, #2)
  • The Faceless Ones (Skulduggery Pleasant, #3)
  • Dark Days (Skulduggery Pleasant, #4)
  • Mortal Coil (Skulduggery Pleasant, #5)
  • Death Bringer (Skulduggery Pleasant, #6)
  • Kingdom of the Wicked (Skulduggery Pleasant, #7)
  • Last Stand of Dead Men (Skulduggery Pleasant, #8)
  • The Dying of the Light (Skulduggery Pleasant, #9)
  • Resurrection (Skulduggery Pleasant, #10)
  • Midnight (Skulduggery Pleasant, #11)
“Doors are for people with no imagination.” 1140 likes
“I'm placing you under arrest for murder, conspiracy to commit murder and, I don't know, possibly littering.” 487 likes