Start by marking “In the Company of Women: Inspiration and Advice from over 100 Makers, Artists, and Entrepreneurs” as Want to Read:

“I want to rip out every page of this glorious book and hang them on my wall so that I can be surrounded by these incredible women all day long.”
—Emma Straub, New York Times bestselling author of The Vacationers and Modern Lovers

Across the globe, women are embracing the entrepreneurial spirit and starting creative businesses. In the Company of Women profiles over 100 of
Published October 4th 2016 by Artisan

To ask other readers questions about In the Company of Women, please sign up.
Kotryna I would say it is a great book for a teenager or a girl even younger than that. This book is the opposite of all girl-related-stereotypes - it's not…moreI would say it is a great book for a teenager or a girl even younger than that. This book is the opposite of all girl-related-stereotypes - it's not about wearing pink or being pretty, it's about being you, having ideas, and making them happen. It's a perfect book for someone who is not self-confident or even bullied at in school (as most creatives are in their school-years).

In addition to that, women of different ages / races / sexual orientations / body types / backgrounds / professions / (you name it) are represented in this book, so it's not about being this or that, it's about finding a way to be you. A great lesson for a 12-year-old in my opinion.

P.S. I am 30 and I felt a bit too old to read this book because I already found my way into creative entrepreneurship, but if I got this book in my teen years, it would have saved me a lot of time and anxiety.(less)

Elyse Walters
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've share a few times now -- that we have a guest room where - besides drinks - a few snacks in the refrigerator- and teas to drink - I leave 'books' in the room also for our guests to enjoy. This week is our one year anniversary of running our Airbnb business.
We are usually booked 2-3 months out.

All the women "IN THE COMPANY OF WOMEN", own their own business. They are interesting women with interesting jobs.

I purchased this lovely book a month ago. I haven't transferred it to the guest room
Nat
Oct 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
After having read and wholeheartedly loved Strong Is the New Pretty, I was on the look-out for more books featuring empowering women when, lo and behold, this gem came along.

In the Company of Women features an incredibly diverse group of women that are makers, artists and entrepreneurs and questions them about some important creative and personal issues.
I found it truly awe-inspiring. Their perseverance in the face of adversity and their words and actions inspired me deeply.

I took each piece of
Candie
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
I personally did not really enjoy this book very much. I absolutely love the idea of it, but I found that the execution came off as pretty superficial. It was done in an interview style where the author asked each woman the same few questions and they just gave a short sentence or two answer. It was very surface level and they didn't really go into depth at all on any of the topics. I would have enjoyed the book a lot more if they had just let each woman write the advice that they had in general ...more
Susan Price
The book came highly recommended but I found it very superficial. A set of amazing, hard-working, creative women are making a living being artists. How did they accomplish that? The author must have sent each maker a list of 10 or 15 questions and recorded their short answers without further probing. Seems they all wish they'd taken more business courses. Really? Fewer women and real conversations would have been so much more helpful.
RH Walters
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
Maira Kalman's in it! Neko Case is in it! Abbi Jacobson! Maya Lin! Carrie Brownstein! Dominique Browning! An exquisite blurb from Jill Soloway plus a blurb from the amazing Hanya Yanagihara. Beautiful photos of lots of other people I haven't heard of wearing interesting outfits, in interesting spaces, yet so many wanted to be the same thing when they grew up, admired their moms, confessed to spending too much time working or picking an iphone as their favorite tool. Cumulatively, I found it a li ...more
Jean
Mar 19, 2017 rated it liked it
I decided to add this book to my March Women’s History Month reading. Unlike the other books, I have chosen for this category, this book is not on Women’s History but is about women in our current timeframe.

Bonney has chosen 100 women to profile in her book. I noticed that many are in the field of fashion and design, all are in the area of creativity. The women featured are business women from all over the world but the majority are from the United States. Bonney chose a diverse group to presen
Abby
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
A very diverse and well-chosen collection of creative women and entrepreneurs. Lovely photographs, good advice throughout. Everyone is inspired by either Frida Kahlo or Georgia O'Keeffe. Would make a great gift for any creative woman in your life.
Lindsay
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The concept of this book is important. Young women need these examples and this advice. The format of the book was very well thought out, giving the reader short but meaningful insights from the interviewees with a couple beautiful photos of each of them and their space. This book also did a fantastic job of representing a very large swath of WOC, LGBTQ, and disabled women, and women from outside the United States. So important.

However it gets four stars instead of five because I felt it really
Paige
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didn-t-finish
Really disappointing, I couldn't even finish the book, got about a third of the way and quit.

Three reasons this book was sub-par:

1. There was no intro/bio of any of the women she interviewed.
Just: Jane Doe, Fashion Designer.
So with the lack of context you had to read between the lines of the answers to figure out who these women were.

2. VERY surface level interviewing. If the majority of these interviews were done face-to-face, I would have liked to see her deviate from her same repetitive 10
Patty
Jul 08, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
How did she take this group of fascinating women and write such a boring book?
Nadiah Razali
May 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: business, dnf
Would like to hear more insight from various industry such as from technology, manufacturing, food and beverages industry and etc

After 100 pages, it gets tiring for me to see the same question been asked.

Nevertheless, I may take my own sweet time to keep on reading to get inspired.
Juliana
5 stars for the diversity of women in the book (age, colour, careers); and for the importance of the theme.

3 starts on how the book was structured. Having all women answer almost the same questions made the book somewhat repetitive. While reading the interviews it felt like this was meant to be a coffee table book, to be read slowly, instead of all at once.

I did get, though, some interesting perspectives and advice that I hope to carry to my everyday life.

Average, 4 starts.
Asma_h
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Passion is definitely contagious. Love the book!
Beth
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is definitely a fun and lovely book, though the advice ranges from inspiring to insipid. The best part is the many beautiful pictures of real, non-airbrushed, women.
lauren
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book is sort of a yearbook of women entrepreneurs in creative fields, all asked the same questions, and the cumulative effect is that it quickly feels like once you’ve read a few of the responses, you’ve read them all.

Main takeaways- to be successful you need to be a workaholic, and you will definitely get burnt out, and it helps to be beautiful.
Daphne
Jul 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
I was very disappointed in this book. I really wanted to like it but I didn't. First of all, I didn't know who 99 percent of these people were. None of these essays had a bio, it would only list a very general one to two word description describing what type of work they did. I found it disconcerting to read about someone and have no idea who I was reading about. I was halfway through one of the essays before I realized that this woman had lost use of her arms and learned to paint with her mouth ...more
Niecie
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book saved me this semester. When I was feeling inspiration leave me, opening up to the colorful photos and stories of beautiful, successful women from different backgrounds gave me permission to create and innovate artistically and academically. I bought three copies of this book on November 9th - one for me and two for female colleagues that I love. So glad I made the investment!
Diana
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shallow and boring. The author took a lazy approach and left it as a general question and answer format. Same questions over and over and over. "What did you want to be as a child?" Good question, cute. Except for the fact that I read it as question 1 for every woman interviewed.

What would make this book better is more narrative and zero Q&A.
Hayley Dyer
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is a must read for anyone thinking about starting a new venture or business, especially lady entrepreneurs. My only complaint is that the book didn't highlight women from the center of the country - mainly just the East and West coasts.
Alexandra
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was so inspiring and a must-read for women who are thinking about starting their own business or need some advice to keep going. The book is gigantic and it celebrates entrepreneurs in all kinds of different fields. It had some great advice in it. One common denominator I noticed is that many said they wished they had taken a business course; and that businesses take a minimum of 10 years to develop. This book would also be a great read for a recent graduate.
Pamela Hilliard Owens
I am SO inspired!

I am “Creative” in that I am a writer and editor and I love to do crafts, etc., and I am also am entrepreneur. I am in no way an artist or real musician. But each and every story in this fabulous book moved and motivated me in so many ways. I kept a lot of quotes, and I am going to write down and answer the questions for myself. I am just sorry the book had to end. I wish it was twice as long.
Lauren
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this! It was cute and I loved reading about all of the different women and their paths to success. However I do wish there was more diversity in the types of jobs these women had as most were designers or actresses or chefs and I know there are other jobs out there where women succeed in them.
Cecilia Lindgren
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes I go through life wondering how other people, especially women, can succeed and make their lives fulfilling and fun. This book shows me that it takes hard work, determination, having a circle of trust, and having badass inspiring quotes at hand! As a recent graduate this helped me understand that even though I feel like I’m in a creative rut currently, I can push my way out and work towards my goals. I will just be following in the fabulous footsteps of all of these courageous women!
Angela
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
All around inspiring.
Emily
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great coffee table book to read a few pages at a time. I’ve been working my way through since receiving it as a Christmas gift last year. There’s some good variety here, inspiration of course, and beautiful photography.
Ayelet
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business, femme
Loved this book - full of inspiring female creative entrepreneurs, makers, and artists.
Jon Finkel
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Eclectic and inspiring, a rare combination of coffee-table book and Norman Vincent Peale, with great pictures. Further evidence that there are a lot of cool people out there doing cool things. Check it out.
Lisa
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wealth of info shared by some of the finest women to ever grace our world.
Stephanie
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, life
Really awesome collection of inspiring women who are doing all sorts of cool, creative things with their lives. Super fun to page through + marvelous photos.
Rikki
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful. Inspiring and refreshing.

• Sunburning
  • Rookie Yearbook Three
  • Babe
  • Girls Standing on Lawns
  • Craftivism: The Art of Craft and Activism
  • Tim Walker: Story Teller
  • The Illustrated Herdwick Shepherd
  • Pantone: The Twentieth Century in Color: (Coffee Table Books, Design Books, Best Books About Color)
  • 200 Women: Who Will Change The Way You See The World
  • Near & Far: Recipes Inspired by Home and Travel
  • The Who, the What, and the When: 65 Artists Illustrate the Secret Sidekicks of History
  • Girl Culture
  • Apartment Therapy: Complete and Happy Home
  • Planting: A New Perspective
  • The Artist in the Office: How to Creatively Survive and Thrive Seven Days a Week
  • Nomad: A Global Approach to Interior Style
  • Closer (The Sartorialist, #2)
  • Inside the Painter's Studio