Start by marking “Raising Wild: Dispatches from a Home in the Wilderness” as Want to Read:
Raising Wild: Dispatches from a Home in the Wilderness

Raising Wild: Dispatches from a Home in the Wilderness

Combining natural history, humor, and personal narrative, Raising Wild is an intimate exploration of Nevada's Great Basin Desert, the wild and extreme land of high desert caliche and juniper, of pronghorn antelope and mountain lions, where wildfires and snowstorms threaten in equal measure.
Within this remote, high desert landscape sits the home of Michael Branch, where
Published August 23rd 2016 by Roost Books

To ask other readers questions about Raising Wild, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raising Wild

Start your review of Raising Wild: Dispatches from a Home in the Wilderness
Mark Bailey
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: torrey
As if I needed any convincing, Michael Branch completely had me at "Bug." I too have a vivacious, curious, energetic daughter I raised in the Great Basin and that I nicknamed "Bug." Although mine was raised in Salt Lake City suburbs on the east edge of the Basin with only frequent trips to the Wasatch Mountains and to a remote second home high in the center of the Colorado Plateau. That and she is 32 years old already.

Michael's Bug is going to have a lifetime of enjoyment of the book her father
Lauren
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love Michael Branch's writing. This is such a lovely book. I was obsessed with it while working on it briefly!
Linda Epach
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: won
Mike Branch’s "Raising Wild"—a collection of essays of life in the Great Basin Desert of northwestern Nevada-was a delightful, sometimes humorous, sometimes beautiful and deeply poetic book. His deep appreciation of the desert and its wildlife and his love for his family shone thru on every page. This is one of those books that you read and you want to chuck your business suit, 9-5, and city living for the simple beautiful life in the wilderness (until you start really thinking about the snakes, ...more
Rick Bavera
This book was a pleasure to read.

It is filled with a large dose of the author's family life as he, his wife, and daughters, explore their high desert home near Reno, Nevada.

The writing brings to mind, for me, the writings of Edward Abbey (who came from a tiny town a few miles from where I live), Hal Borland, Aldo Leopold and Farley Mowat. Michael Branch seems to take some of all of them, and a big dose of himself, and comes up with a deeply felt, and satisfying, tale of his Nevada home and
Michael S
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I would have finished this book weeks ago, but I started it right before scout camp, and then I was in the wilderness for a week. I zealously sought out reading time, but couldn't read this nature book for all of my time out in nature.

This is a great collection of essays. It does not have as many humorous essays as his other collection, but it will make you laugh, cry, and think. These essays are insightful--rethinking our relationship to place, family, and identity. I loved his essay on the
Jacob Ortwein
Dec 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Funny, whitty stories about life of author and his desert environment.
I liked a question 14 in the reading group guide. How do you categorise the book? I thought about that most of the time. Is it environmental? Parenting? I think the parts I like the most and what I was expecting more of was his thoughts on parenting and teaching his daughters about the environment. His family and living a life in the wild are what most attracted me to the story. I would recommend and will look for other books
Stephanie
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I got this book from goodreads first reads. I thought it was eloquently written and full of interesting thoughts on life. It had everything your standard reflections-on-nature book has but with the added benefit of family in the mix. The author is totally right- I'd never realized how much this type of book is usually "solo individual in the wilderness" material. The whole last chapter weirded me out. While I can see the value in the VECTORLOSS program, it felt pushy to throw it in with the ...more
Luis Cuesta
I received this book as a Goodreads giveaway. I like how the desert landscape where author Michael Branch lives becomes a place teeming with energy, surprise, and an endless web of connections that ultimately includes his family and home. The desert environment allows him to reflect about natural history. In the end, Branch reveals a desert wilderness in which our ideas about nature and ourselves are challenged and transformed.
Barbara
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I received a free review copy of Raising Wild through Goodreads Giveaways. I loved most of the chapters in the book -- combining natural history with the experience of the author's daughters growing up in the high desert. Towards the end, I encountered a couple of chapters that seemed somehow out of place. Either removed from the natural history theme or lacking the lighthearted joy of discovery and adventure. Hence the 4 star review instead of a 5.
Suzi
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Michael P. Branch writes eloquently about his home in the high desert in Nevada, where he lives with his wife and 2 daughters. I didn't give it 5 stars because I didn't like the parts where he got educational...telling the history of the native animals and such. That just made me think I was back in school. But the parts where he tells about his life and the beauty of the landscape are terrific.
Phyllis
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading the adventures the author had raising his two young girls in the desert wilderness. It was interesting learning about some of the animals, their habits and history and the surrounding country. I would have given it 5 stars but felt some of the historical parts went into a little too much detail.
Marion
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nature-writing
I was unfamiliar with Michael Branch until this book, and I found his writing to be rich and vivid. I appreciate his humor, often self-deprecating. And I loved seeing the beauty of the Great Basin Desert through his words. I think my favorite essay was “The Adventures is Peavine and Charlie” - what an amazing reflection on storytelling and imagination.
Sheri Koontz
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Must read for lovers of the Great Basin such as myself. We are fortunate to have such an entertaining writer teaching @ UNR and demonstrating his passion for our high desert environment and vast knowledge of Nevada’s flora and fauna in Raising Wild. This book will enthrall citizen environmentalists.
Sarah Boon
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit rough at the beginning (he comes across as a bit of a self- involved ass). Bit really picks up after the first 2 or so essays. I don't have kids, but I appreciated how he used his children's perspective to frame many discussions about nature, wilderness, and place.
Katy Burke
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book had me laughing out loud, crying, reflecting on my childhood, and thinking seriously about the things I want to give my kids when that day comes. A beautiful read, I can't recommend it enough.
Maudaevee
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this, the vivid descriptions and bits of humor, made me want a bit of my own wilderness in Nevada :)
Uros Abaz
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very witty, educational and entertaining. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
F.J. Soto
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaway
Thank you for the giveaway. Looking forward to give my review.
Catherine
An amazing story about a totally different way of life. Surprises and laughter included. I won this book from a Goodreads giveaway.
Beth
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Michael Branch is a local author and instructor at the University at Reno. These are interesting stories of his family adventures living in the wilderness of Northern Nevada.
Lucy Hunt
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book, the strong sense of family, the delightful tales, and the way nature is depicted. Reminded me so much of why I love the west and made e more grateful for my wacky family.
Deb
Mar 02, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a collection of essays describing the author's life and reflections on living in the Great Basin desire while raising two daughters. Living in a remote, isolated part of the country forces one to be observant of the environment and self-sufficient, and it's certainly not for everyone. I'm not sure the author would appreciate this next comment, but I found his descriptions of the plant life particularly lyrical. I also learned more than I had expected about specific animals which inhabit ...more
Eric
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in a single sitting. I love all three books by Michael Branch. They live a very interesting life that is billions of light years better than the average americans.
Richard Thompson
From the Goodreads blurb:
Michael Branch -earned his whiskers- in the Great Basin Desert of northwestern Nevada, in the wild and extreme landscape where he lives off the grid [not exactly... they have
Carol
Oct 25, 2016 rated it liked it
An interesting book.
gnarlyhiker
Sep 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Gosh, I just wasn’t feeling “Raising Wild.” Dude, it’s a total bummer cause I can’t figure out way. You feel me, right?

good luck

**ARC provided by publisher via NetGalley
V
Sep 01, 2016 marked it as to-read
Book Riot Best Science/Nature List: http://bookriot.com/2016/08/26/best-s...
Benjamin Bowers
Jan 23, 2018
Jenny
rated it it was ok
Dec 26, 2018
KJ Grow
Feb 26, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Man Card (Man Hands, #2)
  • Puppy Christmas (Forever Home, #2)
  • Mutts and Mistletoe
  • Patron Saints of Nothing
  • Saved by the Billionaire Bears
  • Illusions: A Reverse Harem Romance (Power of Love Book 4)
  • The Werewolf Tycoon's Baby
  • Grind: The Doyles, A Boston Irish Mafia Romance
  • Christmas Shorts
  • The Wild Truth: A Memoir
  • Beauty
  • Hutch (Bears of Burden, #3)
  • Son of a Trickster
  • Smart Ass: How a Donkey Challenged Me to Accept His True Nature & Rediscover My Own
“We sometimes enjoy people's presence most when we register their absence.” 0 likes