Start by marking “A Living Grave (Katrina Williams #1)” as Want to Read:
A Living Grave (Katrina Williams #1)

A Living Grave

(Katrina Williams #1)

The first in a gritty new series featuring sheriff’s detective Katrina Williams, as she investigates moonshine, murder, and the ghosts of her own past…

BODY OF PROOF
 Katrina Williams left the Army ten years ago disillusioned and damaged. Now a sheriff’s detective at home in the Missouri Ozarks, Katrina is living her life one case at a time—between mandated therapy sessions
Published September 13th 2016 by Lyrical Underground

To ask other readers questions about A Living Grave, please sign up.
Robert Dunn Hi Pam, sorry it took me a while to get to you. Things sometimes get lost on here for me. A Living Grave is the first of a series coming from Lyrical…moreHi Pam, sorry it took me a while to get to you. Things sometimes get lost on here for me. A Living Grave is the first of a series coming from Lyrical Press so there will be more of them to come. The Red Highway is kind of a literary horror novel, and Motorman is a novella of monsters and mayhem both from Necro Publications. Look for The Harrowing also from them in Nov. You can always follow on here or my Amazon Author page to find the old and new books. https://www.amazon.com/Robert-E.-Dunn...
Always feel free to say hi or ask a question. I hope you like A Living Grave, it comes out Sept. 13!(less)

Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
A young girls body is found in the Ozarks and Detective Katrina "Hurricane" Williams is the one that is first called when the body is found.
Katrina has lots of back story in this book. She really doesn't like her nick-name of Hurricane..but my mind totally went here. (And yes I know that she is called that because of her first name..but I'm old. Humor me.)

Katrina has lots of issues. She was in the Army but some very, super bad, ugly stuff happened and now she isn't. The Army didn't believe her
Linda Strong
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The first in a gritty new series featuring Sheriff’s Detective Katrina Williams, as she investigates moonshine, murder, and the ghosts of her own past…

Katrina left the Army 10 years ago after a harrowing experience. She still has flashbacks of that time. Her nickname is "Hurricane" and she not only has an anger management issue, she also has a drinking problem. She does see a shrink, but only because the Sheriff has ordered her to do so.... if she wants to keep her job.

Being in a small town in t
Hunter Shea
Jul 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I think I'm in love with Katrina Williams. Tough as nails, she's a woman troubled by her past trying to deal with a host of lunatics in the present. This is hardboiled fiction at its best. We're talking Elmore Leonard territory. A fantastic read and I hope there's more to come.
Liz Barnsley
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
A Living Grave was a pacy and considered thriller with a truly intriguing main protagonist in Katrina (known rather aptly as “Hurricane”) one I thoroughly enjoyed and was a great entry read into what is a three book series.

This is a story where the past comes back to haunt the present and the present ain’t that great either – it is a completely compelling read especially as you begin to realise the demons Katrina is facing. The cast of characters are all beautifully drawn, her relationships with
The Grim Reader
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
With ‘A Living Grave’, Robert Dunn has introduced us to a strong female lead in (Hurricane) Katrina Williams, a Missouri detective investigating the brutal murder of a young girl. Williams has a lot of heavy baggage that she carries around with her. She spent ten years in the army before she left under a cloud of controversy after being brutally raped and beaten. No charges were ever pressed against her attackers and Williams still carries the scars, both mental and physical to this day.

‘A Livin
Angela Crawford
Jul 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of this novel in exchange for an honest review. This is in no way reflected in my opinion of this book.

A Living Grave is quite possibly the best book I have read by Robert E. Dunn so far. The story is both heartbreaking and beautiful. Detective Katrina 'Hurricane' Williams is a fantastic main character, easy to care about and identify with as she hunts down the killer. The problems and issues of living with PTSD from a violent and horrifying event are so sympathetically and rea
Cats of Ulthar March of Shoggoths
Review of THE LIVING GRAVE by Robert Dunn

At the core of this novel is Fear: fear of dying, fear of living. Some characters are torn between giving up on the way to an assured demise, others block out joy and pleasure and happiness in order to dwell on horrific memories a decade in the past. Some refuse to acknowledge their personal responsibility, others internalize victimization into guilt and shame. All of these options are emotionally and psychologically crippling.

In the beautifully scenic Oz
Kristine
Original review can be found at http://kristineandterri.blogspot.ca/2...

** I received an advanced readers copy from Kensington via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!**

This book sounded like it would be full of twists and turns and that there would be enough excitement to keep me turning the pages. Early reviews (although I didn't read them) were all very positive so it was exactly what the bookworm in me was hoping to get.

I guess I must be the odd man out because I did not en
Mommacat
Aug 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Katrina Williams is an Iraqi War veteran turned Sheriff's Detective. "Hurricane" Katrina is one woman that can take care of herself. A LIVING GRAVE author Robert Dunn's first entry into the series market.

A LIVING GRAVE was extremely well thought out and the characters were very well developed. I really appreciated Dunn's character creations and how they stayed true to form. There were unexpected twists and turns to the storyline that made for an exceptional read.

I received my copy of A LIVING GR
Elaine Tomasso
Jul 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I would like to thank Netgalley and Kensington Books for an advance copy of A Living Grave, the first in a new series set in rural Missouri to feature Detective Katrina "Hurricane" Williams.

Detective Williams is sent out to a rural location on an unspecified call as she is the only officer available, everyone else is out looking for a missing teenager, Angela Briscoe. What she finds is Angela's body. As she attempts to investigate the murder she gets involved in hunting a biker gang who are caus
Peggy Jaeger
Aug 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was given an arc of this book from Netgalley for an honest review.

I'm going to start with the things I loved about this book...and that would be EVERYTHING!

In Katrina "Hurricane" Williams, Robert E. Dunn has given us a heroine worthy of rooting for. Suffering from PSTD from a horrific incident she went through while on active duty in the Army 10 years ago, Katrina now works as a detective for her hometown sheriff's department in the Ozarks. Wicked smart and savvy, she's also damaged emotional
Veronica
Aug 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of my friends recommended this novel and I am so glad she did and I understand why. I literally did not want to put the book down and really got involved in the complex character of Katrina "Hurricane" Williams. Her character is so well developed and I really became attached to her and didn't want the book to end.
Katrina left the Army after a horrible betrayal and became a sheriff's detective in a small town in the Ozarks while trying to come to terms with her life and what happened in the A
Roxanne
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hoopla
Maybe a 3.5 good premise but didn't follow through.
Kyle Robertson
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
This is the first book by Robert Dunn that I have read, and I hope to read more from this promising new series. "Hurricane" Katrina Williams is a sheriff's detective in the Missouri Ozarks. At the beginning of the book she has painful and disturbing flashbacks from her time in the military. Katrina is an alcoholic with a bad temper, and sometimes she lets her temper get the best of her as she dishes out justice. Demons from her past keep creeping in, threatening to unhinge her at any moment. She ...more
James Weaver
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Living Grave was a really, really solid read. Dunn can flat out freaking write and paints scenes that jump out at you. Combine his writing ability with great characters and you have a well-paced story that keeps you engaged. I look forward to the next Katrina Williams novel. Consider me a fan!
Edward
Dec 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: detectives
Well-written book. The characters were well-rounded and showed growth over the course of the story. Don't want to give any spoilers; if you like small-town police procedurals, give this one a read.
Heather Martin
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Living Grave

The Katrina Williams series currently has three books following sheriff detective Katrina Williams. For true enjoyment, I think this series needs to be read in the appropriate order. This series is about Katrina so everything is tied together and follows a storyline.

The first book in the series is A Living Grave. This first book introduces us to Katrina Williams, her life currently and her history. It shows a sheriff detective struggling with the memories and flashbacks of what ha
Teri
Aug 09, 2018 rated it liked it
It's already established Katrina had issues from her time in the military which left her major scars from a horrendous incident. She has now with the sheriff dept and evidently known for just slipping away and burying herself in her bottle, so they know exactly where to find her and watch over her. Now there is a mystery going on and she is pretty much the lead detective on the case. That's all I will say about it because I don't do spoilers and I have said enough. Now I went into this expecting ...more
Phil
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dunn has created a very real protagonist in Detective Katrina Williams, known throughout as "Hurricane" for her badass attitude. He also provides the harrowing back-story that put her in a "bad place."

He also writes vivid landscapes of the Ozarks, as summer proceeds to autumn.

It is a fine police procedural, but also leaning into chick-lit.

As the plot is narrated by Hurricane in the first person, it is difficult to know where the author is speaking or the character.

Several examples come to mind.
Becky Baldridge
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
A Living Grave is very well-written and has excellent character development. The story does start out a bit slow with the introduction of various characters, but even with the slow pace, it is a compelling read that gets better and better as the story progresses. There is a lot going on, but the writing style is one that pulls a reader in and holds on. I was so immersed in the lives of these characters that I had to see how it would all play out. Katrina is such a complex character with her toug ...more
Kathleen Gray
Nov 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Really well done procedural with a unique protagonist in Katrina. Dunn has done a great job of creating a sympathetic female vet coping with PTSD while moving onward and upward. I'm pleased that this is the first in a series, as I'd like to spend more time with her. Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC. Try this for a quick, suspenseful read.
Margaret Sweet
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gripping start to finish

I don't generally like novels with profanity and violence. This book had solid reasons for both. The mental imagery helps to carry a very solid storyline filled with believable characters. Excellent police procedural all the way through.
Bobbi
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
(4 Stars) Very good.
Billie Raven
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
a little harlequin-y...
Mandie (Naughty Book Snitch)
I was in a funky place (in my head) while reading this so there is a lot I really enjoyed about this and some that I didnt. I'll post more later.
ItsAboutTheBook
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: holly
Review can be read at It's About The Book

Last night when I turned out my light and tried to fall asleep after finishing A Living Grave, I was having an internal debate. Why had this or that happened, what’s up with so and so, and is there going to be more about this…. This book is not an easy or fast read. It’s meant to be savored like good whiskey, a sip at a time, slowly trickling down your throat, leaving a shimmering aftertaste on your tongue. I cannot wait to see how Mr. Dunn plays the
Todd Simpson
Jul 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A truly fabulous and entertaining story. I knew I’d enjoy this book after reading the introduction/blurb, and I definitely wasn’t disappointed. The Author has certainly delivered a very well put together story, with an interesting plot and quite a range of diverse characters. Katrina “Hurricane” Williams is a smart, tough no nonsense cop, who is relentless when she starts an investigation. She certainly has enough on her plate investigating the murder of a young 13 year old girl found in the woo ...more
John Renehan
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Some first-rate writing by Robert E. Dunn and a fine job creating a fully-formed character (and world) from whole cloth. (This, like some huge slugger hitting a baseball out of a ballpark with apparent ease, is the hardest but least-appreciated part of storytelling.) I immediately want to spend more time with Katrina Williams, which to me is the sign a storyteller did it right. Feels like a character that can carry a franchise. Damaged, sharp-edged, fully human. Not an anti-hero exactly but the ...more
Jackie Roche
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
I would like to thank NetGalley and Kensington Books for giving me the opportunity to read this book which I voluntarily reviewed.

I get quite excited when I realise a book is the first in a series, especially when it's and author whose books I enjoy.
I took to Sheriff's Detective Katrina Williams from the start. She is a strong, fiesty lady trying to make her way in what's predominately a man's world. She'd suffered horrifically during her time in the army and was desperately trying to overcome h
Peggy
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
**SPOILER FREE**

Fast paced and on edge read! What you will find in this book will take you on a roller coaster right of what the hells... More than what you think goes on. But you have to watch your pace of reading or you'll end up finishing this book in a short time.

The plot of the story captivates the reader and the charters will have you wandering. But don't just take my word for it....

*received for an honest review*
« previous 1 3 next »
  • I-35
  • Muleshoe (Mike Bishop #1)
  • The Beauty of Intolerance: Setting a Generation Free to Know Truth and Love
  • Not Black and White: From The Very Windy City to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue
  • Strange Days: Life in the Spirit in a Time of Terrorism, Populist Politics, and Culture Wars.
  • The Teachings of Shirelle: Life Lessons from a Divine Knucklehead
  • John: The Gospel of Light and Life
  • Valley of Deception
  • My First Coach: Untold Stories of NFL Quarterbacks and Their Dads
  • Never Say No: Raising Big-Picture Kids
  • Unraveling (The Immune #1)
I wasn't born in a log cabin but the station wagon did have wood on the side. It was broken down on the approach road into Ft. Rucker, Alabama in the kind of rain that would have made a Biblical author jealous. You never saw a tornado in the Old Testament did you? As omens of a coming life go, mine was full of portent if not exactly glad tidings.

From there things got interesting. Life on a series

Katrina Williams (2 books)
  • A Particular Darkness (Katrina Williams #2)