Start by marking “The Babe Ruth Deception (Dr. Jamie Fraser & Speed Cook #3)” as Want to Read:
The Babe Ruth Deception (Dr. Jamie Fraser & Speed Cook #3)

The Babe Ruth Deception

(Dr. Jamie Fraser & Speed Cook #3)

“David O. Stewart is rapidly becoming one of our best new writers of historical mysteries . . . [Fraser and Cook] have plenty of fraught challenges, but none more engaging and human than the swaggering, generous, profligate Great Bambino.”
—Washington Times, September 22, 2016

As the Roaring Twenties get under way, corruption seems everywhere—from the bootleggers flouting Pr
Published September 27th 2016 by Kensington

To ask other readers questions about The Babe Ruth Deception, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Babe Ruth Deception

Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
This may seem like an odd choice for me to read since I've not a sports person. However, I kind of like baseball, not like I'm that interested in watching it on the telly, but I've seen a lot of movies with the sport, and I like the game. And, of course, Babe Ruth is a legend, and it was Babe Ruth that got me interested in the book that and the 20s setting that I love to read about (and watch movies from and about).

Now, I would love to say that the racism in this book is a thing of the past. But
Crittermom
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
It took me a while to get into The Babe Ruth Deception. The novel starts slowly, so at one point I put it down to read something else. I was glad, however, that I went back to Stewart's novel because once the action picked up it was riveting. Like Stewart's other novels, The Babe Ruth Deception is well researched and intricately plotted. The corruption of the time, as well as the era's fascination with Babe Ruth shines vividly through. Once again Dr Jamie Fraser and Speed Cook have to join force ...more
Paul
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Nice continuation in the series, and a learned a bunch about 1920's New York City, including an explosion at the J.P. Morgan Bank.
Peter Ackerman
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is an excellent, well researched historical mystery. When I picked this up I did not know it was the third in a series featuring Dr. Fraser and his Broadway talent agent wife Eliza as well as an African American formal baseball player "Speed" Cooley.

The good news is that I did not have to read the others to be right up to date on this work. The majority of the story involves gamblers trying to use young baseball phenom "Babe" Ruth for their purposes. Add to the mix tension between the
Laura Reading
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
An interesting portrait of the times, the early 1920s. While the title definitely makes one think baseball, there is much more going on here. Many of the issues that contribute to situations in the book are still present in society today.
Gambling and bootlegging and other endeavors of an underworld network are not so different from dark business dealings still present today. Parents who are concerned about poor choices made by children, even when those children are technically adults. People wh
Nicole Girolomo
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you like historical fiction and baseball this is a great book for you. Even though Babe Ruth is only a small part in the story his presence looms large as I'm sure it did in real life. The several plots mingled well and the story kept me engaged. Will look for more by this author.
Meg - A Bookish Affair
"The Babe Ruth Deception" is the third book in David O. Stewart's Dr. Jamie Fraser and Speed Cook series. There are a few story lines in this book. The first one concerns the title: in this book, Babe Ruth is already a well-established baseball player. He is still well known for being an excellent ball player but scandal now threatens to color his legacy. Another story line has to do with Fraser's daughter and Cook's son. Violet Fraser is white. Joshua Cook is black and in the bootlegging busine ...more
Carole Rae
Jul 02, 2017 rated it liked it
I did not read the first two, but this did well as a stand alone. There seems to be some references I didn't get, but other than that this did well.

The beginning was slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow and it took forever to get into the story, but once I got into it I could not put this down. I wanted to find out what happens next.

I've always found Babe Ruth to be an interesting person, so I did like his POV the most over everyone. Sure he wasn't the best of men, but he was
Art
Feb 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Babe Ruth, in all of his larger than life glory, is the central point of this historical fiction mystery.

The Babe is making a movie and has just started his career with the New York Yankees. But the gamblers who fixed the 1919 World Series may have something on the sultan of swat. And it may affect the 1918 World Series and the future of baseball.

Dr. Jamie Fraser (whose wife bankrolled Babe's movie) and former baseball player Speedwell Cook join forces for their third adventure.

Besides Babe, the
Jennifer Galica Marquissee
I don’t get into gambling or baseball all that much but I love history! So while this story was mostly about dealings in things that are lost on me, it was still interesting as they combined real events, that I was able to learn more about, into a fiction story. It was well written so even the parts that I don’t understand, mostly the underground gambling world, I still enjoyed the overall story told.
R Z
Aug 31, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaway-wins
2.5 rounded up.

It took awhile (like, almost a third of the way into the book) for me to get into it, but it also lost me like 30 pages after that.

Bootlegging, mobsters, and baseball— it's a really great premise, but something in it (maybe the writing style? Changing POVs with some a lot stronger than the others?) just seemed, I don't know, off to me.

There's nothing inherently wrong with the novel, I just think it's not for me.
Joe Slavinsky
Did not finish this book. It was just OK. The story was relatively well told, but I really didn't care for any of the characters. I picked it up at the library(glad I didn't spend money on it!). The title piqued my interest. I'm sure others will enjoy this book, and I welcome them to their opinions.
Lauren
Apr 22, 2018 rated it liked it
The Babe Ruth Deception was a decent book. Not my typical book choice and it seemed to be a little slow moving. It was interesting to think about the racial dynamics back then. I would recommend it to people who are interested in baseball and/or Babe Ruth.
Ruth Feathers
Jul 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Warning: strong language used.
Sara
Aug 29, 2016 rated it liked it
I love baseball, especially baseball history which is often "romantic" and, for Americans, a wonderful way to view history itself. There are a number of good baseball mysteries available that take place in the early 20th century and bring the era to life for a fan like me. So, it was with great anticipation, that I opened The Babe Ruth Deception.
All in all, I was disappointed. This yarn is not compelling and when I would put the book down, I would force myself to pick it up again. I will add her
Homerun2
Aug 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads

This is the third entry in the Jamie Fraser/Speed Cook series, all based on actual historical incidents. This one is set in the early 20's and features several historic larger than life figures, including Babe Ruth, and gambler and mob boss Arnie Rothstein. The dust has not yet settled from baseball's 1919 Black Sox scandal which allegedly Rothstein was involved in. Babe Ruth owes money to Rothstein and is being blackmailed for an undisclosed (til the end) indiscretion. Meanwhile Fraser
Kristyna Mackinnon
Oct 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
If you are in the mood for Baseball then this book is probably for your liking. To me I found it to be a bit boring. My reasoning is that I never really gotten into sports let alone baseball. But if you are into baseball or at least the legend known as Babe Ruth then this book would be for you.
Jim Blessing
This was a book about Babe Ruth's involvement in the 1918 World Series, which was likely thrown by Max Flack of the Chicago Cubs. There is a book called The Original Curse that discusses this.
John W. Carbone
May 19, 2018
Kerrie
Dec 17, 2018
Steve Fredrickson
Dec 28, 2016
Lance
Baseball sections were excellent as they show the author's extensive knowledge of baseball history at the time. But the story and the characters were not believable for me and I struggled to get thorough this book. Giving three stars for an overall grade
Steve Gilbert
Dec 17, 2016
Victoria
Dec 05, 2016
Tammy
rated it did not like it
Aug 10, 2016
Teresa Fiskum
Oct 15, 2017
Maria
Feb 17, 2017
Feb 09, 2017

• Betrayed (World Without Love, #1)
  • Miss Dimple and the Slightly Bewildered Angel
  • Heartwood
  • Finding the Grain
  • Blue Skies (Blue Skies #1)
  • Lesson Plans (Lesson Plans, #1)
  • Israel Rank
  • The Curvy Side of Life
  • Holiday Temptation
  • Critical Hit
  • We Go Forward
  • A Devious Death (A Lady & Lady's Maid Mystery, #3)
  • Stockholm Syndrome (Americans Abroad, #3)
  • Shall We Not Revenge
  • Summer at Sunset (Summer #2)
  • A Deceptive Homecoming (Hattie Davish Mystery, #4)
  • After The Glitter Fades
  • The Eldritch Heart

Dr. Jamie Fraser & Speed Cook (3 books)
  • The Lincoln Deception (Dr. Jamie Fraser & Speed Cook, #1)
  • The Wilson Deception (Dr. Jamie Fraser & Speed Cook, #2)