Start by marking “A Shadow Bright and Burning (Kingdom on Fire, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Shadow Bright and Burning (Kingdom on Fire, #1)

A Shadow Bright and Burning (Kingdom on Fire #1)

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  8,861 Ratings  ·  1,589 Reviews
I am Henrietta Howel.
The first female sorcerer in hundreds of years.
The prophesied one.
Or am I?

Henrietta Howel can burst into flames.
Forced to reveal her power to save a friend, she's shocked when instead of being executed, she's invited to train as one of Her Majesty's royal sorcerers.

Thrust into the glamour of Victorian London, Henrietta is declared the chosen one, the
Published September 20th 2016 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about A Shadow Bright and Burning, please sign up.
Alyssa There are several potential love interests, but there is not a classic "love triangle" in the sense of boys fight over girl, girl can't decide, repeat…moreThere are several potential love interests, but there is not a classic "love triangle" in the sense of boys fight over girl, girl can't decide, repeat while they ignore world-ending cataclysm in the background. I am entirely sick of love triangles and this book did not set off my warning sensor.(less)

Jesse (JesseTheReader)
(4.5)

Full video book review here: https://youtu.be/TDJD6KBqHJk
Emily May
“Now, listen, Miss Howel. I’ve never seen another girl who could do what you’ve done, and I’ve searched for four years. I’ve never met another sorcerer who could burn and walk away unscathed.”

Maybe five or so years ago this book stood a chance. But, come on, there's not a single thing in A Shadow Bright and Burning that we haven't all seen before.

Limited world-building and a plethora of potential love interests fuel this derivative Victorian fantasy. It begins with a familiar premise: an orpha
Christine Riccio
Dec 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, solid beginning to a new fantasy series! I'm fascinated by he magical hierarchy. Here's my full booktalk/discussion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkg7j...
Lola  Reviewer
Aug 10, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If you have little to no experience with fantasy novels, A Shadow Bright and Burning will shine like a star through your eyes.

But if you do, its true nature will surface and you will see this book as what it actually is: a poorly written book that stands for the unique reason that it’s made of dozens of elements taken from dozens of different novels.

If you’ve read The Infernal Devices, The Vampire Diaries, Grave Mercy or literally anything exceptional with magic or supernatural elements, don’t b
Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
This started off pretty strong, but then I quickly lost interest and it became just average. This reminded me of a lot of other books, including (but not limited to), Harry Potter, Jane Eyre, Mortal Instruments. It did have an interesting twist on those stories, especially concerning the whole flip on the typical 'chosen one' story. I liked the Victorian setting, but the world building was lacking, the MC made all decisions based on the character of Rook, a character that I felt like I never rea ...more
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

I began reading A SHADOW BRIGHT AND BURNING with trepidation. I'd read the preview months prior, and at the time, I'd been greatly impressed, but since then I'd suffered numerous disappointments of the finished-product-not-remotely-living-up-its-promise variety.

And initially, my inner cynic taunted me, pointing out perceived flaws, whispering to get it over with and DNF already . . . Then a hobgoblin unexpectedly appeared, and I told my inner cynic to shut its trap.

B/c F
Cait • A Page with a View
Forgive the length of this review but guess what else looks like this cover and perfectly summarizes how I feel:

This book had SO MUCH POTENTIAL and I was absolutely thrilled with what felt like a certain 5 star read for the first half. But then it turned into 4 stars and I kept staring at it in confusion as it slowly dwindled down to a 1 star that I didn't even want to finish at the very end. Like I could see the star meter just slowly dying... and I am so very sad.

The story starts with Henriett
Rachel E. Carter
How do I describe this book without breaking out into rabid fangirl status? UMMMM, how about THE INFERNAL DEVICES + THE BURNING SKY + PRIDE AND PREJUDICE (as in, Mr. Darcy). Yup, I went there. It's a Victorian England fantasy, and it was SOOOOO good.

description

Now, I'll be honest. Usually I don't like Victorian settings for my reads, something about society being too proper and women being too demure and I just get bored. Take Clockwork Angel -while I *love* certain aspects of that series, there were parts
Adam Silvera
I want to read this book so badly I'd set myself aflame.
C.G. Drews
Well that was some fiery fun. But unfortunately nothing more?? I am a melon of high standards when it comes to epic fantasy, sadly, so it really takes a lot to snabble my heart. And like this had a LOT of cool elements but it just felt like a really cliche plot line. And I don't know if the book was, like, totally allergic to female characters, but there is literally ONE. (There's a few other women in the background, but like. That's it.) But ya know what? FIRE! MONSTERS! DARKNESS! SORCERERS! A ...more
Nastassja

Buddy-read with my special girls ( no pun here; they are really special and, though, they don't have magical powers, they'd kick any special snowflake's ass easily) Katerina & Vira. Also, please, go read my friend Mila's review to see a more positive and well-structured point of view on the book.

“How I do what I do, but not how to do what I do? What if what I do has to do with my knowledge of what to do, and doing requires only the knowledge of doing? What would you do then?”
I blinked.
“I b

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
$1.99 Kindle sale, Sept. 7, 2017. The second book in this series will be published later this month.

3.5 stars. Full review, first posted on Fantasy Literature.

In this Victorian-era fantasy, sixteen year old Henrietta Howel, who is now a teacher at the Brimthorn orphanage in Yorkshire where she has spent the last eleven years, has developed an ability to magically set things on fire. She believes this marks her as a witch or magician, who are imprisoned or put to death in England since a horri
Yusra ✨
DNF @ 31%
honestly, I’ve lost all interest and I’ve never been so bored. might pick this back up in the future, might not, who knows at this point. the only bright point was magnus I guess. I tried to read this for 12 days and it’s just not working.

a pal read™

Ben Alderson
Sep 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good debut from Jessica!

I love the more fantastical take on England. And obvs, anything with witches and soccerours I am going to love!

A burning YA novel that stands for equality, inner strength and embracing your insecurities!
Joshua Gabriel (조수아)
I buddy read this book with the bookish king, Solomon, and the empowered fangirls, Cait and Ambs.

I am quite disappointed in myself for delaying this review for one month. I have been in a "reviewing slump" lately, and I want to get out of it as soon as possible. It's a good thing I still remember the important events that happened in this book. I really enjoyed reading it with my friends, but the book itself did not entirely please me.

A Shadow Bright and Burning is a new take on a beloved (or in
☆☽Erica☾☆
Dnf at 30%

This was utterly unoriginal and boring. An assortment of love interests, bland writing, super special MC, and lack of world building. It's more of the same stuff we all know.

One extra star because I liked how she named her magic wand "porridge."
Stacee
Apr 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
Fantasy and magic are always hit or miss with me, but I was excited about the synopsis and couldn't wait to get it in my hands

I love love loved Henrietta. She's smart and strong and stands up for what's right, even if society thinks it's wrong. I enjoyed being in her head and was rooting for her from the very beginning. There's a good cast of characters here and I'm eager to see how they show up in future books.

There were sections that did drag a bit, but for the most part I was captivated. I l
Samhita Peechara {Multi Dreamer}⚔
Rating: 3.5/5

It took me soo long to get into this one hence the rating but once I did, I couldn't put it down. The average rating for this one wasn't very high so I was hesitant to pick this one up. But, after I stared at the cover for a good 15 minutes I decided that I wasn't going to leave it on my tbr pile any longer.

Henrietta is a 16 year old that can burst into flame. She isn't afraid to stand up for the people who don't know how and believes men and woman should be equally represented in t
Katerina Kondrenko
4.5 out of 10

Ревью в моем блоге/This review on my blog
Living A Thousand Lives

Short-Soundtrack:
L.M. - Bright Shadow

Genre: historical fantasy, YA
Stuff: magic, creepy beasts, superpowers
Fail: writing style, romance in general
WOW: hot scene with one of LI, a few twists
POV: 1st-person, female
Love-Geometry: hard

Quote-Core:
“Knowledge is as powerful as fire. The brigh
Rachel  (APCB Reviews)
ASBAB is one of those books that I eagerly anticipated from the very first pitch. My excitement grew to a feverish pitch that led up to that final moment, holding a physical ARC in my hands!! I tore through this book; I laughed, I gasped, I frantically messaged Jessica with emojis and thoughts and theories. I couldn't help myself! This book plagued my thoughts and emotions the second I started. At first glance ASBAB plays off of all the normal tropes, but what it really does is turn the tropes o ...more
Candace Robinson
At first the first few chapters were a struggle, and I kind of wanted to put it down. I am extremely glad I didn't do this! I feel like this is Pride and Prejudice mixed with Harry Potter! It was exciting for most of the book, and Henrietta is a great character. The magic was a-a-amazing, and the romance in the book has not really taken form yet, but there are definitely 2 possibilities, but I am actually hoping for one of the other boys who is very Mr. Darcy like!!! Full review on my blog https ...more
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
"I am Henrietta Howel. The first female sorcerer in ages. The girl who can control flames. The one who will defeat the ancients. The prophesied one. Or am I?"

A highly addicting, victorian fantasy. This book has all the classic elements one has come to expect from magic, fantasy books but is also sprinkled with delightful surprises.

I loving all the books I am reading lately about strong, independent woman thinking outside the box and being far ahead of their time. And I love seeing confident,
Rebekah
I read this book in one sitting, no joke. one sitting! WHY DID IT TAKE ME SO LONG TO PICK UP THIS BOOK! I LOVED IT!

First off, I love the setting of this book. I love the era. I love the dresses the balls, societies decorum, the maids, the manners, the curtesy. So overall I enjoyed the world building. This is set in England...if magic existed back then...

This story is about a girl who thought herself to be a witch, witches are hunted and executed due to something one did long ago that has recked

Allison
Apr 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What is it with all these historical fantasy novels trying to ruin my life over the past year??????

Henrietta is amazing, ballsy, clever, and imperfect. She's pretty much a VICTORIAN LADY HUMAN TORCH. And wait til you see the adorable name she gives her stave (like a Harry Potter wand, but much cooler and really cute in a weird mostly inanimate magical object way). She wears pretty dresses, battles otherworldly demons, and isn't afraid to put a man firmly in his place. Or several men. Which leads
Amber Robertson
BUDDY READING WITH:
my favourite person in the world
the one who can read like 10 books at a time
and the one who shares a name with my ex-boyfriend

DNF @ 25%

I'm sorry guys. I can't. This could single handily be one of the worst books I've read this year. I was rolling my eyes at every paragraph and honestly wishing someone would punch every single character.

Caitlin also supported this DNF so I love Caitlin.

So, to continue my lazy review format, here's some points;
- oh the tropes
- so many trop
Sandra
Sounds like this

but in a female version set in Victorian London with sorcerers.

HELL. YEAH.
Brittany (Brittany's Book Rambles)
4.5/5 Stars

Read my full ARC Review + Enter the Giveaway!

A Shadow Bright and Burning personifies why I love the fantasy genre so much. It is exactly what it promises its readers—a powerful female MC, swoony boys, and fantastical magic—all set in Victorian London. Sounds amazing, right? This book gave me so many Howl's Moving Castle feels with its steampunky and enchanted world. The writing has an old world charm with magic laced throughout the words. Can you tell the magic was my favorite part of
Dana

Wow, I'm breathless. I can't remember the last time I devoured a book with such relish. It was as if the author reached into my brain, picked out everything I love in a book and put it all together in one story, just for me! It's insane, not even does it have all the elements that I love in a book, but it also has the right amount of each. And to think this sat so long on my tbr list because the cover didn't grab me!

If you like any of the following things read this book now!

Magic!
Ancient myster
Suzanne
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Got distracted with my literature review so didn't get to read this book at the pace I wanted. This was a very entertaining book and a great start to the series. I found the characters very enjoyable. Looking forward to see how the story continues and the characters develop.
Eilonwy
Orphaned Henrietta Howel has a gift: the ability to light herself on fire. In an alternate Victorian England where men can be magicians and sorcerers but women shouldn’t be, her gift must be kept hidden. But one day a sorcerer comes to the school where she grew up and now teaches, discovers her ability, and tells her of a prophecy that says a magical girl will save England from the Ancients, seven demons that hold the land and coastal seas under their malevolent power. He takes Henrietta to Lond
  • Blood Rose Rebellion (Blood Rose Rebellion, #1)
  • Bound by Blood and Sand (Bound by Blood and Sand #1)
  • The Reader (Sea of Ink and Gold, #1)
  • The Queen of Blood  (The Queens of Renthia, #1)
  • Reign the Earth (The Elementae, #1)
  • The Dragon's Price (Transference, #1)
  • Flashfall (Flashfall, #1)
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
  • Unearthed (Unearthed, #1)
  • Nemesis (Nemesis #1)
  • Ever the Hunted (Clash of Kingdoms, #1)
  • Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • Long May She Reign
  • Vassa in the Night
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
  • Given to the Sea (Given Duet, #1)
  • Frostblood (Frostblood Saga, #1)
  • Poison's Kiss (Poison's Kiss, #1)

Kingdom on Fire (3 books)
  • A Poison Dark and Drowning (Kingdom on Fire, #2)
  • A Sorrow Fierce and Falling (Kingdom on Fire, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Darkness Brutal (The Dark Cycle #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Marked (Servants of Fate, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poisonwell (Whispers from Mirrowen, #3)
  • Rama II (Rama, #2)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Secondborn (Secondborn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Rama Revealed (Rama, #4)
  • Sacré Bleu
    $8.24 $12.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Red Wyvern (The Dragon Mage, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Time's Edge (The Chronos Files, #2)
  • Brazen (Gilded #3)
  • Everyone Knows You Go Home
    $5.99 $1.99
  • (R)evolution (Phoenix Horizon #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Girl in the Shadows (Cirque American #2)
  • How to Train Your Dragon
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
“Knowledge is as powerful as fire. The brighter it burns, the more it devours.” 30 likes
“It's easy to poke fun at the world and think yourself clever, but it's much harder to stand silent and endure.” 22 likes