Start by marking “The Wild Robot (The Wild Robot, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Wild Robot (The Wild Robot, #1)

The Wild Robot

(The Wild Robot #1)

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  19,791 ratings  ·  3,145 reviews
When robot Roz opens her eyes for the first time, she discovers that she is alone on a remote, wild island. Why is she there? Where did she come from? And, most important, how will she survive in her harsh surroundings? Roz's only hope is to learn from the island's hostile animal inhabitants. When she tries to care for an orphaned gosling, the other animals finally decide ...more
Published April 5th 2016 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Wild Robot, please sign up.
Sarah Gioia My kindergartener/5 year old loved it--he's ahead on reading but we had a great time reading it together. I cried at some of the mother and son stuff…moreMy kindergartener/5 year old loved it--he's ahead on reading but we had a great time reading it together. I cried at some of the mother and son stuff but he was fine (bonus: hugged me when I cried : )(less)
Cory Shaw Both. Roz is humanoid just as C-3PO is humanoid. R2D2 is an example of a robot that is not humanoid. Roz does not have skin or tissue though, she is…moreBoth. Roz is humanoid just as C-3PO is humanoid. R2D2 is an example of a robot that is not humanoid. Roz does not have skin or tissue though, she is made of a shiny material that can receive dents and scratches.(less)

·  19,791 ratings  ·  3,145 reviews

Jesse (JesseTheReader)
This was a nice read! I loved the illustrations so much. At times I did feel the story felt a little bit disjointed and all over the place, but it was a quick and sweet read.
Miranda Reads
FRIENDSHIP OVER - if you don't love this book

(I'm deadly serious - don't test me)

I cannot remember the last time when I was so surprised and delighted.

This brought me back to my childhood and I am forever grateful to Peter Brown for writing it.
One year ago, I awoke on the shore of island. I was just a machine. I functioned. But you --- my friends and my family --- have taught me how to live.
Roz - a standard issue manual labor robot - is stranded on an island.

At first, she is at a loss - she's aloit./>(I'm
Lola
Dec 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals, middle-grade
I don’t believe I’ve ever said this in a review of a book before, but I think a lovely video game for kids can be made out of Peter Brown’s new middle grade novel.

The illustrations made me think that, with their original style and 3-D quality. Plus the story could work.

Because this is about a robot female (Roz) who mysteriously ends up on an island devoid of humans but filled with animals that form a certain community.

Roz tries to be part of that community by being frien
Mischenko
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My family loves Peter Brown and we have a few of his other children’s books in our home library which are favorites. We were so excited to find out he had written a middle-grade book and went ahead and purchased The Wild Robot. After my daughter read it, she kept begging me to get to it, and I’m sorry I waited so long. This turned out to be a great read!

The story begins with a robot named Roz who has arrived on an island. She was in a crate among other rob
Betsy
There are far fewer robot middle grade books out there than you might expect. This is probably because, as a general rule, robots fall into the Data from Star Trek trap. Their sole purpose in any narrative is to explain what it is to be human. You see this all the time in pop culture, so it stands to reason you’d see it a bit in children’s books too. Never you mind that a cool robot is basically a kid’s dream companion. Take away the kid, put the robot on its own, and you have yourself some philosop ...more
Kayla Dawn
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
I loved the illustrations in this so much. They are absolutely perfect for the story.

I actually loved the whole book. I thought it would be just a children's book but it actually had some important topics in it (global warming and the effect it has on animals for example).

I'm really curious for the second book in this series!
Calista
This was a good idea. I have a nephew who just went to a robot convention to build a little robot. He is robot crazy, so I understand the popularity of a robot very well. I love them in Star Wars. I even loved Data in Star Trek.

I could not relate to Roz, the robot, in this story. I didn't understand why a robot was used really. I feel the emotional journey that Roz goes on would have been better with some sort of detached person or something, I don't know. I kept getting hung up on the robot Ro
Melki
I know, I know. I'm as surprised as anyone . . . a book about a robot that I didn't go absolutely ga-ga over.

Who'd a thunk it?

I was expecting this to be one of my favorite reads of the year, but instead, I just found it strange - a weird, disconcerting read. You see, the author employs this folksy, gather-'round-kiddies-and-I'll-tell-you-a-tale voice that seems most likely to appeal to very young children, and yet, there are such mature themes here. And death. Lots and lots of death.

On the plus side
Donalyn
Read the ARC, which doesn't have the final illustrations and still thought it was powerful. This book will spark lots of great conversations with kids about kindness, community, and what it means to be alive.

Update: Read the finished book and declare it even better with the illustrations, of course!
Mel (Epic Reading)
The first 70% of The Wild Robot is adorable. This middle aged story is void of humans and our lead character is instead a robot. One that can learn and analysis things in order to determine the best course of action based on databases stored in it's logs (things like survival, animal types, etc.). Peter Brown has taken the idea of a conscious AI and given it life in our Robot.

The Animals
Just as key to the story as the robot itself are the animals on the island. Each is a character in it's own right
David Schaafsma
I liked this 3rd or 4th grade book I listened to with the fam on a road trip in the western US, the first in a series, maybe a trilogy. Roz is one of the robots who washes up on the shore of an island when being transported to her owner. All of her fellow robots are smashed on the rocks, but she lives on to encounter nature, basically in the form of other animals who are not welcoming to her (an immigration or bully thing). She actually encounters the threat of violence from two adolescent bears ...more
The Captain
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: younger-readers
Ahoy there me mateys! I was looking to read something short that fit me current mood and this book was found in the hold. This is listed as a middle-grade but bah! I don’t put age limits on things.

This is about a robot whose crate gets washed overboard from a cargo ship and she ends up on a deserted island. Except the island isn’t actually deserted. It is filled with local wildlife. So the robot, Roz, has to to discover how to survive on the island, her purpose, and perhaps how she g
Liza Fireman
I did not like this book at all. Except the premise of a robot in the wild it did not make much sense. I'll expand on the reasons.

There is a big gap between the writing style, which is almost so simple to fit only a really short juvenile book, and the length, which is MG. For over 70% of the book nothing that is not straight forward is happening (yes, she befriends the animals, build fire etc, but nothing really interesting to hold a smart reader is there). In addition, the reader (referred by
Book Riot Community
I don’t read a lot of books about robots or about the wilderness, but it’s hard to imagine that the two overlap very regularly. The odd concept and fantastic artwork is what had me picking up children’s book author Peter Brown’s first novel, but the beauty of the story full of loss, love, and humor is what stuck with me long after I put it down. Like most of the very best middle-grade books, The Wild Robot can connect with adults just as easily as children.

–Trisha Brown

Jan
Nov 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Update 3/18/18
I just read this book for the second time in preparation to read the sequel The Wild Robot Escapes tomorrow. I don't know if it's possible to love this book any more than I already did, but I'm thinking maybe I do. Or maybe I just fell in love with Roz all over again. I wish we could all have someone like Roz in our life. We would never be sad or lonely or feel unloved. Someone would always have our back and be there to support us through whatever life deals us. What a perfect world
Jaksen
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
We love Peter Brown in my family. His 'Creepy Carrots' - he's the illustrator - remains a favorite even as the boys start to grow out of picture books. No, I say! I love picture books and I am decades older than the boys, so...

When my older grandson, age eleven, told me he owned this book and that I should read it, what could I do? I can read a book this size in a day - an afternoon - but I spread it out so I could deliciously enjoy it. And I did!

Roz the Robot is cast ont
Amber
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Roz is a robot who wakes up on an island. Determined to survive, Roz decides to befriend the animals of the island and learns from them how to survive. Will she succeed? Read on and find out for yourself.

This was a pretty good audiobook. I enjoyed this robot story. If you like stories about survival and friendship, be sure to check this out for yourself. It is available at your local library and wherever books and audiobooks are sold.
Emily
Be prepared to cry. I loved every minute of this book. It was creative and heartwarming and as realistic as you can get considering it's about a robot surviving in the wilderness. Also, there better be a sequel in the works or else someone is getting a nasty letter.
Jill Pickle
This book will do for robots what Charlotte's Web did for pigs.

I loved, loved this book. Peter Brown maintains his perfect picture book voice but in an early chapter book... And this voice is maintained throughout. Many picture book authors attempt this, few succeed. (Parents: such a great read aloud!)

The Wild Robot is essentially a survival story--not quite as scary as The Hatchet, but it definitely doesn't shy away from basic facts of violence in nature (including humans). But wha
Scope
Apr 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Isaac Asimov writes HATCHET. Wonderful book.
Amy
(Reviewed from an ARC that I received as part of a reader affiliate program.)

I was excited to start this book for several reasons:
1. It had received starred reviews
2. It was featured in one of Donalyn Miller's best-of-the-year so far lists
3. I am a HUGE fan of picture book authors who take their top-notch storytelling skills and cross over into middle grades fiction (hellloooo Mac Barnett)

However, this book frustrated me. I was intrigued by the premise (container s
Niki Marion
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book makes me wanna return to grad school so I can write all the papers on this book, which somehow manages to include every hot button topic in today's culture in this book (a sampling: motherhood, humanness, disability, climate change, civilization, gun violence) while making it extremely readable and only semi-heavy-handed at parts.
Laurene
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes a book, a children's book, surprises me. When I finished The Wild Robot, I had to sit back and absorb what I just read. Thought this simple book would be a cute simple story about a robot. I book I could pick up between my other more developed reads. I was completely baffled. Yes, it is a story about a robot named Roz but it is a story about Life. The ability to experience life if you are courageous enough to open yourself to it.
Melissa Posten
Nov 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-novels
Picture book author/illustrator Peter Brown gifts us with The Wild Robot: a spare, haunting tale of figuring out the roots of your humanity, and trying to reconcile what you learn with the reality of the life you are living. It's a story of family and community; of learning what loneliness is and how to fight it; of growing together and coming apart; of the interaction between the human world and the natural world. It's a story of sacrifice and overcoming fear of the unknown and different; of ch ...more
Darinda
Mar 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
A ship carrying hundreds of robots sinks, but one box washes ashore an island. In that box is Roz, a robot. She awakens on an island full of wildlife. The other animals think Roz is a monster, but she slowly finds her place among the island inhabitants.

A weird and quirky middle grade book. The story is odd, but fun.
mills♥
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was so adorable! Also, (view spoiler)

It is a kids book, and in that case, it was hard to read because of the choppy writing. But, that also means that the writing style is engaging, and I quite liked that because it kept me
Wendy Bunnell
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I downloaded this audiobook when my family was taking our big road trip for a possible listen in the car. My sons voted for other books instead (we listened to 4 audiobooks on our trip from Minnesota to Florida and back) and this one stayed on my phone, but I decided to listen to it myself before returning it. I'm glad I did.

I liked Roz, the robot, who finds herself alone on an island with animals but no people or other functioning robots. I loved her efforts at fitting in, how hard she had to
Skip
Aug 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I liked this cute middle school age book about a robot, which survives a shipwreck and is activated on an island with no human inhabitants. Instead, Roz makes friends with the animals, and adopt a young orphaned gosling (Brightbill), becoming his mother. This book is really about friendship, love and community as a series of events make things interesting for all. Peter Brown's illustrations were fun, but his basic robot shape was a bit too human (for an adult anyway.)
Paul
I really enjoyed reading this middle grade book about a robot that learns to adapt and thrive on an island with the wild life. The reason I ended up giving this a 4 instead of a 3 is because I think this is a great introduction to young kids about artificial intelligence that may get them excited about science fiction. On the younger side of middle grade, 8 or 9.
KC
May 20, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars. Somewhere in the ocean, a cargo ship full of robots sinks miles from a nearby island. Five wash ashore, all are damaged, with the exception of one. "Roz" finds herself having to adapt to her new home, learning how to communicate with the animals that inhabit this new place, as well as having to adjust to the fact that she is truly an outsider. Roz's journey is often slow and uneventful until the end but there is certainly a verifiable underlying social theme to this tale. The Wild Rob ...more
Play Book Tag: The Wild Robot, by Peter Brown - 3 stars 2 13 Oct 02, 2018 03:34PM
Play Book Tag: The Wild Robot by Peter Brown - 5 gently glowing stars 8 24 Sep 18, 2018 01:32PM
NZ Intermediate S...: The Wild Robot 1 15 Mar 17, 2017 09:19PM
Mock Newbery 2020: November Read - The Wild Robot 34 176 Jan 18, 2017 02:06PM

• Full of Beans
  • The Story of Diva and Flea
  • The Creature of the Pines (The Unicorn Rescue Society, #1)
  • Princess Cora and the Crocodile
  • A Boy Called Bat (A Boy Called Bat, #1)
  • Ms. Bixby's Last Day
  • Lions and Liars
  • Waylon! One Awesome Thing (Waylon! Book 1)
  • Me and Marvin Gardens
  • Clayton Byrd Goes Underground
  • Nuts to You
  • The True Blue Scouts of Sugar Man Swamp
  • Moo
  • The Misadventures of the Family Fletcher (Family Fletcher, #1)
  • The Sasquatch Escape (The Imaginary Veterinary, #1)
  • Maxi's Secrets: (or what you can learn from a dog)
  • It Ain't So Awful, Falafel
  • The Best Man
Librarian Note: There are more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.

The Wild Robot (2 books)
  • The Wild Robot Escapes (The Wild Robot, #2)
“But I do not know how to act like a mother.” “Oh, it’s nothing, you just have to provide the gosling with food and water and shelter, make him feel loved but don’t pamper him too much, keep him away from danger, and make sure he learns to walk and talk and swim and fly and get along with others and look after himself. And that’s really all there is to motherhood!” The” 5 likes
“I'll tell you what: If I could do it all over again, I'd spend more time helping others. All I've ever done is dig tunnels. Some of them were real beauties too, but they're all hidden underground, where they're no good to anyone but me.” 4 likes