Start by marking “Dead Lake” as Want to Read:
Dead Lake

Dead Lake

Keep the door locked...
A week's visit to the remote Harob Lake cabin couldn't have come at a better time for Sam.

She's battling artist's block ahead of a major gallery exhibition. Staying at Harob Lake is her final, desperate attempt to paint the collection that could save her floundering career. It seems perfect: no neighbours, no phone, no distractions.

But the
Published (first published November 23rd 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Lake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Lake

Start your review of Dead Lake
Luvtoread
This was a nice supernatural mystery. The story was very suspenseful, interesting and flowed evenly. The protagonist was likable although naive and making many silly errors in judgement but it was fun to see how she would handle her very scary situations. This is a book that you don't want to put down and it was very well written and also well edited. (Big Plus). Definitely recommend to mystery and supernatural book lovers!
I rate this book 3 1/2 stars.
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
It had been too long since I'd read one of Darcy's stories, and I had forgotten how much I love the effortless way she writes these creepy tales. Full review coming soon!
Sarah Joint
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I went in expecting something quick, creepy, and fun. That's what I got. This was an enjoyable way to spend an evening, incredibly easy to read in one sitting. The actions of the main character can be irritating, but if they all took off as soon as something vaguely creepy happened, we wouldn't have scary stories. ;)

3.5 from me, rounded up to a 4. Sufficiently creepy atmosphere and a lot of suspense.
Tammie
Aug 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror-dark
A solid 3.5 stars for me. Sam, an artist, decides to stay at her uncle’s cabin to not only focus on her artwork but also to enjoy the peace and quiet of the surrounding area. Ohhhhh the cabin-remote, no neighbors anywhere, no phones, no heat (but a fireplace) and the nearest ranger station is over 2 hours away. Sam awakens each morning to find paintings that she can’t remember doing, extra coffee mugs set out, a mysterious man lurking out by the dock and a bunch of missing hikers (9 the past two ...more
Shaina
An artist struggling for inspiration that could make or break her way in to the art world, disappearances around the park, and things that just get stranger and stranger.
Can’t a person just get a little solitude ?
Konstantin
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
More like two and a half, but that's mainly for the first half. Sam's behaviour was utterly unrealistic, the plot holes were jarringly irritating, and an ambiguous thriller eventually gave way to a sappy C-horror movie complete with a talking corpse.

The prose is clear, simple, almost effortlessly woven together to create a dark, ominous atmosphere. It was the book's only strength in my opinion - for that alone I might consider reading more of Coates' work in the future. This was, however,
Boundless Book Reviews
Sam is taking a break and trying to catch up on her painting. What better way than to take a week away from the big city and stay in a remote cabin? She goes to the cabin expecting a peaceful week to paint, but what she finds is anything but peaceful. A mysterious man, weird paintings, and strange happenings keep her busy and eventually running for her life.

This book was REALLY good. I could not put it down. It was packed with action and was a suspense filled thriller from page one. This cabin
Marita
Aug 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016
You know those characters in horror films who do really, really stupid things? Like going out into the dark woods where they just saw the killer? Like forgetting to lock the door repeatedly? Yeah. That's Sam, the main character in this book. I wanted to like her and be on her side, but she was just so stupid. And her reaction to almost everything (from running into the handsome ranger to finding a corpse) was the same: "Oh!" Don't get me wrong, this book had potential. It was positively oozing ...more
siobhan Quinlan
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5 cups of tea read.
I listened to this on audio book and it was fantastic. I got lost in the story and was not expecting what happened
Latasha
This was a short listen. I enjoyed it. I wasn't sure which way the story would go. Is this a slasher? is this a ghost story? I added this to my ipod and by the time i got to listen to it, i had no clue what it was about. I liked that i was kept guessing for the first part of the story. The action begins almost as soon as Sam arrives at the cabin and does not let up. I think most Darcy Coates fans will like this story as well as fans of supernatural tales.
Andrew “The Weirdling” Glos
Not Coates' strongest work, but she gives a nice twist in the end. Extra points for keeping the story only as long as it needed to be. Many authors will pump a novella into a longer tale for market purposes. As always, I enjoyed it. She's really a great horror writer.
Neha Singh
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, read-in-2019
'Dead Lake' was a pleasant surprise. As a fan of atmospheric horror/thriller, this book clicked in all the right ways with me.

We are following Sam, who is staying at her uncle's cabin for a week. Situated in the middle of a forest and two hours away from any civilization, this lakeside cabin is Sam's solution of getting her zeal for painting back to life. But as she spends time there, she realizes, she is not alone. Someone is stalking her. Hunting, actually!

I loved Darcy Caotes's writing
J.P. Choquette
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loved this novella by Darcy Coates. Read most of this fast-paced book with goosebumps on my skin and one ear listening for strange sounds. A lovely, old-fashioned ghost story with modern twists.
Carol
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you are a ghost story enthusiast like I am you will love any of this author’s books. The four that I have read thus far have been very short but the story that they tell doesn’t need four or five hundred pages. They are all creepy and you will have no problem painting the picture they evoke clearly in your imaginations. Haunted houses, haunted lakes, haunted people…Darcy Coates will introduce you to them all.
Linda
May 13, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ebooks, absolute-shit
SPOILERS AHEAD FOR YOUR OWN GOOD!

I just finished reading one of the stupidest books on the planet. I don't remember where or how I stumbled upon this book and thought, "huh! Seems interesting, and it's nice and short too!" I'mma browse blindfolded from now on!!

This is a short story about a struggling artist (a lazy-ass nutcase, more like) Sam, who decides to stay ALONE at her uncle's cabin on Harob Lake- located two hours away from nearest civilization, a place with no running water, no
Becky Stephens
Nov 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Dead Lake is a suspenseful tale with a visually stunning backdrop. A secluded lakeside cabin on the edge of a large lake nestled deep in a forest hours from any town eases the reader into a false sense of relaxation. Just when you figuratively prop your feet up next to the blazing fireplace, Coates pulls the rug out from under you and immediately causes a spike in your blood pressure.

Dead Lake is a beautiful marriage of supernatural to a terrifying scenario that could easily be read on the front
Katherine
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dead Lake follows the story of an artist Sam who is desperately trying to overcome the artistic block and thus to get back in her A-game she goes on a week long vacation to her uncle's lake house cabin. Sam arrives at the Harob Lake cabin with a rule to always keep the door locked no matter what.

Strange things started to happen,someone is stalking her in this lonely area and she is hallucinating most of the times as she does not remember painting anything,yet her hands are covered in paints. She
Monique S. (The Ginger Librarian)
A young professional artist named Sam stays alone in her Uncle Peter’s cabin for a week to gain creative inspiration and create several paintings, without interruption, for an upcoming exhibition. Her uncle built this cabin himself about 10 years ago as a beautiful place to escape to on occasion, and when he offered it to his niece, she gladly accepted thinking it was just what she needed to get away from all distractions and focus on her art for a bit.

The cabin rests on the shore of a large
✿Nancy✿
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
“Eyes gazing out of teacups, eyes blended into nature, eyes appearing in the cracks of sandstone chimneys…”

This was a short story and so NOT for me. I did not enjoy this one here at all.
Mehsi
Haha, so the plan yesterday was to see how far I would get and just read the rest the next day, as I was dead tired, and just wanted to read something before sleeping. And then it was 40 minutes later and I had finished the entire book. Oops!

This book takes place at the famous Harob Lake/forest/area. Yes, the same Harob from the Once Returned story. And yes, we do see the creature that our MC saw in the Once Returned book. Or at least I think we did. It acted in much the same way as the thing
Donna Thompson
Nov 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-read
"Dead Lake" by Darcy Coates is exactly the type of horror novel I love coming across. Right from the opening sentences, a feeling of dread and suspense starts to build and you just know things are going to get scary. I continued reading later that night in bed, with my husband right next to me, and I was still so creeped out and scared that I had to stop reading until the next day. But no matter how terrifying things got, the author managed to wrap things up in such a way that everything made ...more
Ebony
Solid Concept

Very easy read! I liked the concept but there are multiple holes in the storyline. It had the potentiAl to be an excellent book, but the story felt rushed and unfinished.
Jeanine
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, fiction, own-it
Darcy Coates is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. Dead Lake has interesting characters and a few really creepy ones. good story.
Peter
Jul 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Sam decided to take her Uncle Peter's offer to spend a week at his cabin on Harbor Lake. One thing that her uncle told her, is not to go near the dock. Sam had a gallery showing in two weeks. She had eight months to get ready for this showing but with her mother passing away, it threw everything into a tailspin. Sam had a very bad case of artists block. At the cabin, there would be no phone or neighbors or any other distractions to bother her. Sam hope to get very creative in the next week. Sam ...more
Edith English
?

I'm having a hard time rating this book. I don't like being disrespectful of any author's work but I found the story to be mundane. It seemed like the author used descriptive words inappropriately, i.e. "basking" when Sam was scared to death! This was just one instance. The writer was using words to fill up the pages. The writer might eventually be an excellent writer but hasn't achieved that status yet.
Cikita
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
It's too quick I think ...more
Marie
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Starting the year/decade strong with a book written by one of my favorite authors!
As always Darcy Coates delivers on the fast paced spooky story beautifully.
Barbara L. Rose
Nov 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My heart is still racing

I received an advance copy in exchange for an honest review. I was drawn in immediately. An easy read. Well developed characters. I could not put it down. A few minor misspelled words, but not a distraction. If you like mysteries with a bit of paranormal added, don't pass this one by.
Michelle
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
Quick read that only kept me interested by the mystery of the creepy man in the woods and the disappearances in the forest. I found the main character to be less than mediocre and I badly wanted to finish the story just to be done with it.
Beth
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
i have gone for some long with never hearing of Darcy and now I have read 2 of Darcy's books "Dead Lake and "Hunted" ...both awesome ...my fave this one ... Dead Lake. love these covers. so mysterious. i do get a bit antsy when someone says paranormal or supernatural. i am not usually a fan of scary movie or book ...but yet some i read and it doesn't bug me as much as i think they might. but i still can not sit down and watch the Friday the 13th movie or Freddy / Jason ones ... see i don't even ...more

• Callie (The Bayou Hauntings #1)
  • The Coldwater Haunting
  • The Haunting of Lannister Hall
  • Black Acres: The Complete Collection
  • The House of Long Shadows (House of Souls #1)
  • Malefic (House of Souls #2)
  • The Splendor of Fear
  • The Haunting of Beacon Hill (The Beckoning Dead, 1)
  • The Haunting of Abram Mansion: A Riveting Haunted House Mystery
  • Don't Look Back
  • The Occupant (Afterlife Investigations, #3)
  • The Harvest (The Bell Witch #1)
  • Asylum (Afterlife Investigations, #1)
  • Forest (Afterlife Investigations, #2)
  • Forgotten Men
  • The Haunting of the Creole House
  • The Netherwell Horror
  • The Nursery (The Bayou Hauntings Book 3)
Darcy is the USA Today Bestselling author of Hunted, The Haunting of Ashburn House, Craven Manor, and more than a dozen horror and suspense titles.

She lives on the Central Coast of Australia with her family, cats, and a garden full of herbs and vegetables.

Darcy loves forests, especially old-growth forests where the trees dwarf anyone who steps between them. Wherever she lives, she tries to have a
“eyes gazing out of teacups, eyes blended into nature, eyes appearing in the cracks of sandstone chimneys…” 0 likes
“Prudence told her to turn around and disappear back into the forest.” 0 likes