Start by marking “Volunteer Slavery: My Authentic Negro Experience” as Want to Read:
Volunteer Slavery: My Authentic Negro Experience

Volunteer Slavery: My Authentic Negro Experience

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  155 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
When Jill Nelson became the first black woman to write for The Washington Post's prestigious Sunday magazine in 1986, she thought she had entered journalism heaven. Instead, she discovered that life at The Post meant walking "the thin line between Uncle Tomming and Mau-Mauing" - between holding onto her job and preserving her soul.

As Nelson recounts her harrowing four year

Published July 1st 1994 by Penguin Books

To ask other readers questions about Volunteer Slavery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Volunteer Slavery

Maria
Aug 21, 2011 added it
Recommends it for: anyone who loves to write
I read this book just as i was graduating college with the dream of becoming a journalist. I read it a total of 3 times. It was so interesting to see how a freelance writer makes the transition to staff writer and maintains her integrity and sense of humor in the process. A MUST READ!
Avia
Feb 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
All women should read this book! This book initially is about Nelson's job as the first black female writer at the Washington Post. As Nelson embarks on her journey to find success, she discovers the things she (and many other women) does to "enslave" herself in an unhappy life. This is a liberating book that shows women that they can be strong, independent, successful -- and happy.
LaToya Hankins
I read this soon after being hired on my first job, as the only African American reporter at a local newspaper, and I took so much comfort in her words. A lot of the slights she felt, came my way, and I drew strength on how she dealt with it. It's not often I read something that has me shaking my head in agreement but this is one that I felt I could have wrote some of the passages myself.
Fenesha
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Raw. Real. Honest. Excellent! Nelson candidly tells our story very well; the volunteer slaves, that is. A must read for those who insist they aren't crazy (Nelson's relatable story will make you feel sane) and those who wonder what all the fuss about the glass ceiling is about.
Minnie
Feb 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Minnie by: I ran across it at a book store
A firsthand report of Jill Nelson's fight with corporate America and her addictions to drugs. She is bruetly frank about her life and her time at the The Washington Post.

I read this book a long time ago. It's juicy & raw! LOL She names names and some you will surely know if you read newspapers.
Vonaire
Feb 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Very well written and laugh-out-loud funny at times, although I felt like she was looking for trouble in some instances. Overall a good read.
Deidra
Jul 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Good God, she tells it like it is. Hmmm, what's it like for a black female in the newspaper industry? It ain't always pretty...
Keri LaPensee
Jan 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Heard this woman speak very humorous and extremely personable.
Melissa
Apr 08, 2008 rated it it was ok
I might be the only person, but I was slightly annoyed by this book. I don't if it was the way she wrote it or the ending.
Randie Chapman
Oct 22, 2009
Nusaybah
Sep 08, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Naked: Black Women Bare All About Their Skin, Hair, Hips, Lips, and Other Parts
  • I May Not Get There with You: The True Martin Luther King, Jr
  • Black Ice
  • Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Black Man
  • Sweeter the Juice: A Family Memoir in Black and White
  • Here Comes the Bride: Women, Weddings, and the Marriage Mystique
  • The New Media Monopoly: A Completely Revised and Updated Edition With Seven New Chapters
  • Dreaming: Hard Luck And Good Times In America
  • How Race Is Lived in America: Pulling Together, Pulling Apart
  • Unequal Sisters: A Multicultural Reader in U. S. Women's History
  • News for All the People: The Epic Story of Race and the American Media
  • Race-Baiter: How the Media Wields Dangerous Words to Divide a Nation
  • Shiksa Goddess
Jill Nelson was born and raised in Harlem and has been a working journalist for over twenty years. She is a graduate of the City College of New York and the Columbia School of Journalism. Her work has appeared in numerous publications, including The New York Times, Essence, The Washington Post, The Nation, Ms., The Chicago Tribune and the Village Voice. Jill was a staff writer for the Washington P ...more
More about Jill Nelson...