Start by marking “The One Hundred Nights of Hero” as Want to Read:
The One Hundred Nights of Hero

Read Book* *Different edition

The One Hundred Nights of Hero

(Early Earth)

In the tradition of The Arabian Nights, a beautifully illustrated tapestry of folk tales and myths about the secret legacy of female storytellers in an imagined medieval world.

Published December 20th 2016 by Little, Brown and Company (first published September 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The One Hundred Nights of Hero, please sign up.
Emily I didn't and I wasn't lost at all in the story. It explains the basic mythology in the beginning and you know pretty much everything you need to as…moreI didn't and I wasn't lost at all in the story. It explains the basic mythology in the beginning and you know pretty much everything you need to as far as the story(ies) go.(less)

Nat
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: diverse-reads
The One Hundred Nights of Hero 15-- bookspoils
In the Empire of Migdal Bavel, Cherry is married to Jerome, a wicked man who makes a diabolical wager with his friend Manfred: if Manfred can seduce Cherry in one hundred nights, he can have his castle--and Cherry.
But what Jerome doesn't know is that Cherry is in love with her maid Hero.

The One Hundred Nights of Hero 1-- bookspoils
I genuinely feel like this graphic novel was made just for me. It contains nearly everything I've grown to love in books, such as tales of families, Gods, humans and human-ness, love and betrayal, kings, dancing
Dannii Elle
Actual rating 4.5/5 stars.

This delivered absolutely everything I hoped it would and so much. It was full of absurdities, and love, and feminist bad-assery, and I adored every beautifully illustrated page!
Tatiana
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book of charmingly peculiar feminist graphic fairy tales.
David Schaafsma
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
“All those stories you have told, all those wonderful stories…
They are nothing to OUR STORY. People will tell it in years to come…
And they will say, that was a story about Love.
And about two brave girls who wouldn’t take shit from anyone.”

I liked the quirky, whimsical artwork of Early Earth, but was not in love with the vast scope of the myth-making, the broad origins of the universe. I thought it was just all right. Impressive to look at, but it made me a little impatient to read. Sorry, Neil G
Elise (TheBookishActress)
One Hundred Nights of Hero is a story about stories, and a story about storytelling, and a story about power - the power we yield, and the power we are deprived of.

description

I don't know if I can fully review this. This book is one that you simply have to experience for yourself. All I can say is that this book is deeply, deeply beautiful. It is a story of love and loss and with a deep, deep power. It's probably enough to say the ending made me cry. Please add this.

Blog | Goodreads | Twitter | Youtube
F
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was physically stunning!

Thoughtful words with beautiful illustrations
Feminist tales within a tale.

Artwork & colours work really well.

One of the best graphic novels i have ever read.
Chihoe Ho
Apr 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The moral of this story is: Tell stories to get out of dangerous situations. But not just any stories. Smart stories. Stories about brave women who don't take shit from anyone.

That's simplifying "The One Hundred Nights of Hero" quite a bit since there is a lot more to this gorgeously illustrated book. It gives off a warm and fuzzy feeling with its messages of love and independence, yet, it is a very somber and sobering tale. It's muted tones create an aesthetic palette that is just as central to
Emily
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is an absolute delight.

It had everything I could have wanted: a compelling story, wonderful characters, and a sense of bittersweet hope throughout.

This book is a celebration of women storytelling, and the ways in which other people (mostly men...) try to stifle these stories and the women who tell them.

The art is gorgeous and visually interesting--I loved just staring at the pages.

I want MORE. So much more. I especially adored the ending of this book... It's everything I could have w
Kate (GirlReading)
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Essentially an f/f retelling of a thousand and one nights, the one hundred nights of hero was addictive, funny, brilliantly sarcastic and full of sassy, bad ass women and feminist tales and messages from start to finish. With artwork that was quirky, unique and incredibly inviting, a compelling plot and a brilliantly witty reflection on society and the way it treats women, I’d without recommend this as a thoroughly enjoyable read.
Danika at The Lesbrary
This was beautiful. The art. The narration. The nesting stories. The message. And an epic, mythic love story between two brave, smart women. Clever, funny, inspiring.
Ferdy

Loved it. There was a little bit of everything: fantasy, humour, drama, feminism, fairy tales and romance. There wasn't any part that wasn't engrossing or funny or interesting. The stand outs for me was the stories within stories format, the humorous dialogue, and the illustrations. The only things that were a let down was that the ending seemed a little rushed, and the scrawly font that was used wasn't easy to read.
Raina
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I very nearly put it down.
The intro was a SLOW start for me - the framing of god-conversation was tiresome, the aesthetic of the illustrations didn't immediately please me.
But as soon as I finished it, I immediately handed it to two different family members. "Read it," I said, "You'll love it." One of them was leaving the state less than 24 hours later, and she later told me it was her favorite graphic novel of all those I shared with her while she visited.

Good stuff, this.

It's a story within a
Lauren
Greenberg's The Encyclopedia of Early Earth was such a delight, and one of my favorites of 2016. I was really looking forward to another story in this universe of Early Earth, and it's islands and people. One Hundred Nights of Hero was even better than expected. I loved the nested stories, the tongue-in-cheek commentary and sidenotes, the feminist and queer storylines, and the beautiful resounding love of the characters.

A particular favorite was the retelling of the old fairytale The Twelve Danc
Skye Kilaen
I'd read The Encyclopedia of Early Earth and quite enjoyed its whimsical mythology, but I wasn't expecting to get the same again PLUS such feminist fierceness and intense love. So much depth that I wouldn't be surprised to see it popping up on college syllabi within the next few years. I wish I had literature skills enough to write a proper glowing review, but all I can say is READ IT. :)
Monika
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
This is an amazing story about brave, complicated women, and the power of storytelling. The art is absolutely gorgeous and the plot is tragic, funny, and inspiring all at once. I highly recommend it, especially for fans of Emily Carroll.
I feel guilty for not loving this. I really thought I would. The artwork is beautiful, and the stories are all about sisterhood and empowerment. But I didn't think the text was anything special. First of all, Greenberg combined stilted, fairytale-esque language (no contractions, saying expository things aloud) with colloquial, trying-to-be-funny language. Didn't really work for me. And I also think it's difficult to adapt the Scheherazade story because, come on, you have to convince us that the ...more
Sophie
Sometimes you're taken by surprise by a book, and it's the most wonderful of feelings. I started this graphic novel expecting a nice little tale, but I ended up crying my eyes out and absolutely loving the art work to bits!
Rebekah Gordon
A story about love. And two brave girls who wouldn't take shit from anyone.
Marta
Greenberg’s concept is to tell fairy tales in a way that would have been real to the women in them - women who are subjected, terrorized, blamed by men. The stories are based on folk tales of various cultures, with a Sheherezade-like framing story. The stories are all altered to end badly.

The message is that women’s stories are important, and we should keep telling them. No matter how oppressive is the rule, if enough people know the stories, things can change.

While I give credit to the message
Alana
Feb 02, 2017 rated it liked it
While I liked the empowering messages this graphic novel by Isabel Greenberg has at its core, for me it didn't really offer anything drastically new to the already crowded genre of retellings of Arabian Nights. I liked the quirky footnotes and the actual book itself is beautiful. I just felt like something was missing, I didn't feel fully invested in the story and in the fate of Hero and Cherry. That being said, there were individual stories I really liked, my favourite I think was Phases. I thi ...more
Rogene Carter
Spellbinding and mystical. Hands-down one of the best books I have ever read bar-none. I concur even on the fourth read.
Rachel (rachandbooks)
"Let's form a secret society... A League. The League of Secret Storytellers. We shall tell all the stories that are never told. Stories about bad husbands and murderous wives and mad gods and mothers and heroes and darkness and friends and sisters and lovers... Yes! And above all... stories about brave women who don't take shit from anyone."

I am so obsessed with this book. Oh, my GOODNESS what a magical, beautiful, and powerful story. I'm just in awe of it. And the art. Wow. The art is some of t
Margaret
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an awesome graphic novel inspired by the frame story of One Thousand and One Nights. The artwork is dark with one color chosen for each new story. It's bold and memorable. I love the lesbian romance at the center. I LOVE the women's storytelling league, which definitely makes me think about how fairytales were mostly told by women, to entertain themselves while working on all the daily, mundane tasks. I checked this out at the library, but I may need to own it.
Lulu (the library leopard)
THIS IS LIKE MY NEW FAVORITE THING.
Central relationship between two complex women? Calling gross dudes out? Interesting worldbuilding? Both whimsical and dark? Feminism? Pretty happy ending? Cool mix of original stories and retellings? HECK YEAH.

I especially love the retelling of the 12 Dancing Princesses.
Café de Tinta
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Una joya, imprescindible. No me voy a cansar de recomendarlo y seguro que termino regalándolo en alguna ocasión. Maravilloso.
emily
May 08, 2017 added it
it took me exactly 5 months to finish this lmao

i don't feel like i can actually write a review when i read the last 10 pages 5 months after i started it

nice art
Kirsty
I would give this six stars if I could. I fully expected to love The One Hundred Nights of Hero before I even began, as I absolutely adored The Encyclopedia of Early Earth, and have seen nothing but four- and five-star ratings. Greenberg gives equal prominence to her words and artwork; her illustrations and turns of phrase are nothing short of stunning, and work so well with one another. The use of colour is perfect, and has been used to great effect. It draws the eye without overwhelming, or ov ...more
Elizabeth A
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphix, 2017
I really liked her first graphic novel, so was looking forward to the publication of this one. It's a beautiful book - the actual book I mean - and the story itself is an Arabian Nights type saga. While I didn't love every one of the stories, I was delighted by the feminist take of these strange fairy tales. The art is folksy and sketchy with wonderful use of color. This is an ode to stories and storytellers, especially women. Delightful.
Dov Zeller
A beautiful, funny, queer, anti-patriarchal, whimsical, textured, tragic (but tragedy is not lingered on in the world of this book), joyous, victorious, playful retelling of the 1001 nights. Storytellers are heroes (including one named Hero), particularly women who relish, invent and share stories with each other despite attempts by men to silence them--
to keep the women and girls in their lives subdued and uneducated at any cost, even if it means putting them to death. (Love can't conquer death
Rena
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So lovely. Thoughts to come.

I really, really loved this story but, something is holding me back from giving it 5 stars. I can't put my finger on it exactly, but I will say that the storytelling is excellent. Stories about women, sisters, lovers, oh my! It's a book (a graphic novel novel, no less) that I just fell into and got lost in its magic. What bothers me, though, is the whole bet situation. Stupid men! *lol*
Around the Year i...: The One Hundred Nights of Hero, by Isabel Greenberg 5 22 Apr 24, 2018 07:58AM
Sirens Conference: The One Hundred Nights of Hero 1 6 Jan 29, 2018 01:23PM

Early Earth (2 books)
  • The Encyclopedia of Early Earth
“Lesson: Men are false. And they can get away with it. Also, don't murder your sister, even by accident. Sisters are important.” 4 likes
“Let's form a secret society....A League. The League of Secret Storytellers.

Yes! And above all...stories about brave women who don't take shit from anyone.”
2 likes