Start by marking “The Chans” as Want to Read:
The Chans

The Chans

Short Story of the Blackbird Series (Claim your FREE copy! https://www.instafreebie.com/free/IEwg9 )

Logan has spent his entire life knowing he was different. An invisible force has guided him through important—and not so important—decisions, always pointing him in the right direction. His Gram calls his sixth sense the Chans, a word that means luck in her native Haitian
Published January 1st 2016 by City Owl Press

To ask other readers questions about The Chans, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chans

Start your review of The Chans
Em
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
***I am the author of The Chans, and the novel that it ties into, Blackbird Summer. The Chans is an important scene in Blackbird Summer from the point of view of Logan. It was fun to get in Logan's head--and also a little difficult! :-)

I'm happy to answer any questions about the short story or the novel! Happy reading!
Elesha
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story the first time I read it. Em has used great humour to tell the story and her characters are vibrant. This is just a little taste of what's to come in her first novel. I can't wait to read Blackbird Summer.
Heather McCorkle
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
LOVED this sneak peek behind a new series by a fabulous debut author that is going to rock the socks off fans of Beautiful Creatures!
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is good, really good. I am already super excited for Em's debut novel, Blackbird Summer, so getting to read this short story from the hero, Logan's POV is a great start to my new year.

A little thing about me is that I love reading male POV. Especially when I have or will read the female POV. After reading this first encounter between Logan and Tallulah in The Chans I am even more excited for Blackbird Summer, which I didn't think was possible.

I love small southern towns and people who
Rene Uzee
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Well written. I highly recommend this short. I'm looking forward to Blackbird Summer. Thanks Em Shotwell.
Barbara Hackel
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This short story introduced Logan, a music teacher, who has a unique gift-sort of a sixth sense guidance system he calls the Chans. After a disappointing faculty meeting, Logan heads home only to be rerouted by the Chans. He ends up at a diner in a dumpy town where he sees a beautiful girl who he is drawn to. Not only beautiful, but green sparkling eyes that seem to glow...

This is a very short introduction to a new series by Ms Stockwell called The Blackbird Series. This prequel may be short,
Faouzia
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Well, i'm glad i did, as it only made me eager to read the book.

Logan is a very interesting character and his encounter with this strange woman is kind of fascinating.
I'm really looking forward to reading Balckbird Summer.
Amanda
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Amazing short story that leaves you wanting more! I can't wait until Blackbird Summer comes out so I can read Logan and Tullulah's whole story and figure out just what is up with this town and its inhabitants! And my favorite line of the short story, "Never be afraid of being a goober..." made me giggle!
B. Hughes-Millman
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
This short story was well-written, fun and held my attention from beginning to end. A great lead-in to the upcoming release of Blackbird Summer and worth reading for pure enjoyment purposes. The preview chapter at the end of this short is also fun and makes me want to read the novel even more.
Angel
Mar 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of Blackbird Summer and The Chans was a free short story. Man, what a short story! This series has a lot going for it and The Chans sets it up like a racehorse out of a chute.
Tina Moss
Shelves: city-owl-press
Loved it! Can't wait to see what happens to Logan, and his mystery woman, in Blackbird Summer!
C.L. McCollum
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
OK this was just a blast getting into Logan's head for a bit after finishing up BLACKBIRD SUMMER! Definitely a great glimpse of his POV!
Justin
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a short story out of the blackbird summer series. It's neat to get a different perspective on the story. I really enjoyed it. Well done Emme!
Nadia King
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
You've totally reeled me in. I can't wait to know Logan & Tallulah better. The Chans is awesome. Looking forward to reading Blackbird Summer.
Texas
Nov 04, 2018 rated it liked it
The Chans #0 (short) - This is my first read by this author and I found it OK. It is a well written, interesting introduction to what the Chans are and a little about Brooklyn, MS, but there is not enough story to know if I would like the characters. 3*

Forget Me Not #0 - The story begins in late 1968, in Brooklyn, MS. After reading The Chans, I started this book and I enjoyed it. A well written, intriguing blend of a touch of magic with real life before and after the first draft for Evelyn and
Pamela
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly appreciate the background information on how Logan and Tully met. This adds so much to their story. Thanks for the great short informative story!!!!!
Jessie Gussman
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a nice little preview, setting the stage for the next book. It's well-written and has great atmosphere.
Ann Swaim
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Once I started reading, I couldn't stop. I absolutely love this story, the writing... EVERYTHING! I need to pick up the rest :)
Deb
Apr 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All Fiction Readers
What a great, short, backstory on Logan (the male protagonist) for the lead-in to the full-length book, "Blackbird Summer" :) I am so glad I found this new talented author & I can't wait for more of her work! ... I highly recommend you get the big novel (since this short story is now included there) & add "Blackbird Summer" to your TBR list, or grab it now! ... Get ready for an amazing, page-turning emotional rollercoaster ride that I promise you don't want to miss out on! An awesome ...more
Amy Johnson
Mar 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was about to start Blackbird Summer when i received a free copy of this short story and it seemed a good idea to read this one first. I found out that this is a peek into Logan's point of view after chapter two of Blackbird, so I held off and read it before Chapter 3. That certainly worked for me if there are others out there wondering if you will miss something by not reading the Chans first.

I loved his point of view and makes me excited to continue on and get to know Logan and Tallulah more
Sheila Melo
Jul 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A short free vignette, THE CHANS is the first meeting between Tallulah and Logan from BLACKBIRD SUMMER told from Logan's perspective. It is really just a side promo for BLACKBIRD SUMMER but it served its purpose of getting me interested in reading the whole story. By giving a different narrative perspective, it added value.
D.B.
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It worked! I'm hooked and am off to grab a copy of Blackbird Summer!
Brittany
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved reading the short story The Chans. This was a very important part of the book Blackbird Summer and I enjoyed seeing it from Logan's perspective.
Cynthia Nobles
Oct 24, 2018
Kathy Crosby
Jan 02, 2016

• A Game of Vampires
  • Young Queen (Royal Guardians, #0.5)
  • Origin (The Therian Chronicles Prequel)
  • When Gods and Vampires Roamed Miami (Goddess War, #0.5)
  • The Black Widow (Dark Murmurings Book 4)
  • Sparks (Inferno #0.5)
  • When the Clock Strikes (Paranormal Personnel Saga, #0.5)
  • Discordia (The Elementals #0.5)
  • Beast of Wonder
  • Stolen (Taken, #0.5)
  • Dawn of Eden (Blood of Eden, #0.5)
  • The Dogs of Athens (Goddess War, #0.1)
  • Beneath my Skin
  • Deva's Song; A Fate's Fools Prequel (Fate’s Fools, #0.5)
  • Feudlings in Sight (Fate on Fire novella)
  • Disowned (Tales Of Cinder #0.5)
  • Fairy Ring
  • One Night Next Door
Mama. Wife. Wonder Woman. Author of the Blackbird Summer series, Murphey Family Saga, & nefarious Womens Fiction. Lover of food, music, & sarcasm. Always dreaming.

www.EmShotwell.com
Or let's be friends on facebook: Facebook.com/EmShotwellauthor