Start by marking “Any Way the Wind Blows” as Want to Read:
Any Way the Wind Blows

Any Way the Wind Blows

Callie lives on the road, trading labor for food and lodging through a farm work-exchange program. She's perfectly content with the life she's created, but it is shaken up when she meets Jo, a mechanic and sister of Callie's latest boss.

For the first time, Callie begins reconsidering the choices she's made. But Jo's life is far more complicated than her own and as family t
ebook
Published March 23rd 2016 by Less Than Three Press

To ask other readers questions about Any Way the Wind Blows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Any Way the Wind Blows

Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
*3.5/5

I received a copy of this ebook from Netgalley

Finally, I was able to find a sweet and wonderful piece of fiction about an ace character. Callie identifies as asexual & aromantic, and even though this story is really short, it is so engaging and does such a perfect job showing how ridiculously easy it would be to include more ace characters in books. The evolving relationship between Jo and Callie was so nice to read, and so unbelievably sweet. My main problem with this novelette was t
A.W.
Apr 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Callie meets Josephina "Jo" Zepeda, a mechanic and ex-army, saving from the unwanted advances of Aaron. Everyone in Jo's life thinks her best option of being with someone is to be with Aaron but she doesn't think the same. Callie ends up working for Jo's older brother, Mark, through FarmShare, an agricultural tourism program, in exchange for food and lodging.

I liked both characters and thought they were quite interesting. There were characters that I disliked, which is what I'm sure the author i
Melanie
When I first heard about this book (and the fact that the main character is asexual/aromantic), my expectations towards it skyrocketed. Maybe they shouldn't, since this is probably the first book I've ever read with an ace main character, but when you finally see one character with whom you feel you might relate, I think that's unavoidable. Suffice it to say that this was a bad idea, and I ended up not enjoying it as much as I expected to.

While this short story isn't necessarily bad, I feel that
Sophia
Dec 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtqia
I really enjoyed this short story! What I am most impressed by is how Carlin Grant was able to create such complex and diverse characters in such a short period of time. The story was so well rounded and the characters and their relationship so well developed that it really didn't need to be any longer.
There are so few stories with asexual and/ or aromantic characters and this just showed how easy it can be to include them.
Definitely recommend!
Charlotte
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
More aro, ace and aro-ace people in books, please!
R
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
If I'm being completely honest, this really was more of a 3.5. Which seems harsh compared to other book ratings I've given, but I'm trying to be a bit more critical these days. There were several typos that an editor should've caught before this was published, and the writing itself didn't blow me away. The plot was a little predictable, but I do have to give it some credit for having aro ace characters in a queerplatonic relationship. You don't see many of those and I'm sure that many aro aces ...more
Dannica Zulestin
Nov 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: quiltbag
I got a free copy of this ebook in a giveaway. Not my usual kind of read, with the "roaming woman learns how to settle down when she falls in (this time platonic) love" sort of plot. Pretty good, though. And I do appreciate a book that talks about that particular brand of female friendship that isn't quite sexual or romantic but has more depth than just a simple friendship. I'm not asexual myself but I've been there.
In fact, my first instinct was to be annoyed at how quickly the two MCs form a r
Maren Hovland
4-4.5 stars
I really loved this book. It's a sweet story about a ace character written in an endearing and heartwarming way. I wish it was longer, but then again it doesn't really need to, it is just a sweet and short story about diverse characters written in a great way.

The main characters are well developed even though it is such a short little book and are definitely my favorite part of this story. The conversation between them flows very naturally in my opinion. The other characters may be
Kara
Dec 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
*3.5/5
Dee

This story is told in first person and from both Callie and Jo’s point of views, so you get to know the characters reasonably well.

Jo is a mechanic who did a stint in Iraq and Callie lives on the road, working as a farm hand. Early on in the story it comes to light Callie is Asexual and Aromantic, in other words the idea of being sexually or romantically attracted to another person is foreign to her. With that said she is more than capable of friendship, so her and Jo quickly become clo
Lin.Z.Bee
May 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-read
This book was a liberating read. The protagonist, Callie, lives an untethered life, working as a laborer for a farm work-exchange program. She's satisfied with her travels, but when she meets Jo, a local mechanic and the sister of her newest boss, there's a connection that's worth exploring before she passes through this town.

One strong message that I loved from this novel was that the best reason to be in a relationship is because you want to, and 'why not' isn't good enough. From the start of
A.O.
Mar 21, 2016 rated it liked it
it's a unique slow burn story. Sadly, it's a bit too slow for my taste and I found myself wondering when something would happen, the stakes and conflicts were very mild.

While it wasn't emotionally compelling to me, the author tried to make up for it using interesting characters.
I love the fact that the main characters are aromantic asexual, which is one of the things I loved about the story.

I'm a bit conflicted about Jo though, sometimes she seemed so fragile and delicate despite being an ex-a
Sylvia
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: f-f-romance, ace
This was a cute, short read, perfect for a quiet day off work and went down a treat with some banana bread and a mug of green tea. While some of the themes could be kind of heavy, the not-romance (platonic romance? someone comment if there's a better term for this) carries it all through nicely. Which is to say that although the characters face some adversity, the story remains sweet rather than angsty.

The pacing was nice and steady throughout, and the main characters were well fleshed out. Call
Emilie
Mar 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, netgalley
Got this as a free ARC from Netgalley. This was my first time reading about asexuals. Found it interesting. One thing I disliked about the book was the "instant love" that is in so many romance booxs, even though there was no sex. I did like the explanation of the main characters life, how she traveled from town to town. All in all a good short story, liked the friendship between the two girls. Might read this author again.
Jeremy Reppy
Apr 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was an enjoyable story. Having Callie be asexual was an interesting and unusual twist. I am not sure if I have ever read a book with an asexual character. I think that choice worked well in this story. I liked how the author addressed the concept of romance and love in a non-sexual attraction/relationship.

I received a copy of the ebook from Net Galley in exchange for a review.
Alisha
May 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is the whole (if tiny) package!

It has racial diversity, asexuality, feminism, and a wonderful female friendship to top it all off!

I'm actually disappointed that it's not longer, because Callie is probably the closest I'll get to seeing myself represented on the page.
Kelsey Cox
3 1/2 STARS.

I love seeing an asexual relationship!! I didn't realize what that could look like until this little book. I'm so glad to have read this
Kristīne Vītola
(two aromantic asexual main characters (Callie, Jo), in f/f QPR (queerplatonic relationship))
Marte