Start by marking “We Go Forward” as Want to Read:
We Go Forward

We Go Forward

Christie travels to run, to forget. She has no place to call home, but desperately wishes she did.

Roslyn has never been overseas and fears getting stuck in one place. If she's never left Melbourne, how does she know that's home?

A crossing of paths in Berlin, wine, and wifi leads to the two traveling together, and as they travel the two find some things they were looking fo
ebook
Published March 23rd 2016 by Less Than Three Press

To ask other readers questions about We Go Forward, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We Go Forward

Sass
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You don't realise how much it means to see yourself reflected in stories until you finally see it.
Sara
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is basically about two girls from Melbourne, Australia, who are both traveling for different reasons and meet in Berlin. They end up traveling on together and form this awesome friendship.

The representation in this book is amazing!!! One of the protagonists, Roslyn is a bisexual gal who's a poc. The other protagonist is Christie, who's asexual AND aromantic!! Plus Roslyn has a twin, who we never actually see, but they identify as non-binary, which is awesome. This book is just a littl
Lucy
Possibly I am biased but this book is gr9 and everyone should go read it. (PSA: it's not a romance!! pls see aromanticism)

The lineup:
- One protagonist is a bisexual lady of colour (she has brown skin but ethnicity is never explicitly stated and I could've asked Alison but that seemed rude, because I wouldn't ask a real person what their ethnicity was, you know) and also her twin who is not physically in the story but is mentioned a lot is genderqueer (fun fact! said twin has a book of their own:
Claudie Arseneault
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: aromantic, asexual
Two sad queer girls roadtrip around Europe (Germany, Austria and a little of Prague) while developing a deep and supportive friendship. Roslyn is bisexual and left on a whim in the aftermath of a broken friendship, Christie is aroace and struggles with depression. This was fun and engaging, sad at times in a soft and tranquil way, and I really enjoyed it.
T.
I’ve heard lots of good things about this book, so I went in expecting, or at least hoping, to love it. But, sadly, I didn’t, and my disappointment has inspired me to write a very long review about what I disliked. (Spoilers ahead, I guess, although I feel like this is a book where the idea of spoilers doesn’t really apply.)

First, what I did like: The traveling in Europe aspect was one of the strongest points for me; it felt like the author has actually traveled themself and been to these specif
Amy
Mar 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lesbian-fiction
I received a copy of this book from Inked Rainbow Reads in return for an honest review.
I'm kind of neutral about this story. The writing itself was good. The book was interesting enough for me not to get bogged down in it. But it seemed a bit long for the point I got out of it. First, I'll say that this is probably only the third asexual story I've read, and the first where there was a combination of asexual and aromantic. So the basic connection in this book is more friendship than any
Maria
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book gave me so much joy, hope and quiet content feelings.

Two girls, one bi and lost, the other aro, ace and running - try to find their way by traveling through Europe. I loved the idea, the execution was beautiful (I wish everyone would write rep like Alison Evan does) and it just... made me happy. Sad sometimes, achy and lonely too - but mostly happy in the end.

Definitely recommended to everyone.
Monika
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: not-cis
What a lovely story about wanderlust, independence, and friendship. Reading WE GO FORWARD was like getting a huge hug I didn't realize I desperately needed. Wonderful ace/aro and bi rep, too! Perfect book to cozy up with when you're looking for a read that'll make you feel good. #lgbtqia #ownvoices
Sues
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
I liked the writing (barring the very blatant inconsistencies and editing errors), I liked the characters well enough, it made me want to drop everything and go to Germany.

I just wish something had happened, y'know?

(And that the talk re: asexuality/bisexuality/depression had been less fandom tumblr/twitter-speak.)
Dee

This story is told in first person and from the point-of-view of both main characters – chapter by chapter. I enjoy getting into more than one head while reading so the dual POV worked for me.

The plot is well written and true to the blurb it takes the reader on a trip through Berlin and the surrounding areas, with some insight into the history of the Berlin Wall, David Bowie, and some other interesting historical tidbits.

Christie, by her own admission, is a fat-chick. She’s also Asexua
Alex Chan
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Two girls from Melbourne go travelling in Europe, end up crossing paths in Berlin, and continue their travels together. One bi, one ace-are. The story itself is really charming, and doesn’t fall into the usual trap of an unexpected romance – just two people who become good friends.

I was recommended this book for having good ace rep, and it really does – more so than I expected. It’s tastefully done, and it made me so happy reading it. Ace-aro characters are all too rare in fiction, so this one f
A.O.
Apr 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
We go forward was written beautifully, the prose was wonderful, it was easy and fluid and it had enough cursing and grumpiness to keep me interested.

The main characters Christie and Roselyn, however, were rather complicated, half the time I thought Christie was depressed and to be honest I'm not completely sure that she isn't.

I love internal conflicts as much as the next guy but I still need something happening on the outside, all I got was that they both keep travelling, one because she doesn't
Penelope
Sep 23, 2016 rated it liked it
An honest review thanks to Netgalley. This was a good read, very well written. I just had some problems connecting to the characters. I wanted to know more about them then what I was given. We get a little background of why they are both traveling, but I needed more to be able to connect fully. Without the connection between the reader and the characters the story cant go higher than good, there is no pull making you unable to stop reading and remember the book for years to come. Some others mig ...more
Bec
Jan 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
After reading this I REALLY want to travel, and I also have a new sense of appreciation for Melbourne coffee (it's the best). I also haven't read anything at all with an ace/aro character in it and I found the representation in this book amazing - I didn't realise how truly starved of it I was until I read this! Also, Roslyn's & Christie's voices were super relatable and I love them. I, also, would constantly freak out over the lack of Internet and decent coffee overseas as a tourist. Loved ...more
Cecil Wilde
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was extremely lucky to get to read an advance version of this book. You should also read it. It's cheaper than a holiday and you'll come out the other side feeling like you've been on one anyway. No guarantees you won't suffer a bit of wanderlust afterward, though!
Raina Joseph
May 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
It is quite apparent the author is an avid user of Tumblr™.
Gwen
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ace-reads
Omg, the fluff.

But before we even got to that, I can't tell you how amazing it was to read a story from an ace perspective that I can relate to. Most of what I find YA, and finding a NA version made me so happy. I pretty much spent the entire reading this going "me, me, and also me".

It's actually crazy, how much this *could* be me. After all, I've traveled a bit too. Hmm.

Regardless, I, obviously, really enjoyed it. WAFF (warm and fluffy feelings) galore, and it was nice to see touching moments b
Peter Herold
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nice story of two young Australian women meeting in Berlin and travelling around Europe. Roslyn is bisexual, Christie asexual and aromantic and these aspects are dealt with as matter-of factly as what foods they like, as is Roslyn using the pronoun they for her flatmate back home in Melbourne. Lovely last scene in Salzburg B&B with owner Anne. Recommended if you like European capital cities, train stations and LGBTIQ themes.
Marie
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ace, fiction, lgbtq
So lovely. So queer.
Lee
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books
I want to read more about the Jalen / Roslyn universe!
Corinne Donnelly
Mar 01, 2016 rated it liked it
We Go Forward by Alison Evans follows two Australian twenty-somethings who both choose to travel across Europe for a variety of reasons. Along the way, they become more in tune with what they have fled from, and most importantly, they learn how to mend their insecurities together. The book is a fairly quick read, and a mostly enjoyable one at that, although I finished it with some mixed feelings.

The friendship between main characters Christie and Roslyn fascinated me. Evans incorporates their i
Nicole Field
May 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was my first time reading a novel about an ace/aro character since reading Clariel. Also written by an Australian author, the difference with this book is that it's set in the real world. Largely in Germany, but with bursts from Prague. (I feel there was another place outside of Germany as well during their road trip but I'm struggling to remember it...)

Roslyn is the character we meet first. She is newly arrived in Berlin and struggling with homesickness as well as just the foreignness of
AgentAletha
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: good-ace-books
I adored this quick read about epic road trip friendship. It’s fluffy but well grounded. Roslyn and Christie both jumped off the page with distinct voices; there’s no getting confused about who is talking here. The descriptions of the places they traveled were vivid and really set the stage of Eastern Europe in winter. It felt like the author had been there themself, but didn’t bog the reader down in details either. I loved the history that they encountered, especially the Berlin Wall and Dachau ...more
Tori Miller
Mar 14, 2016 rated it liked it
In this lovely story we follow two Australian young ladies in their trek across parts of Europe. We see them meet and develop a lovely, close friendship throughout the time that they are travelling.

I enjoyed the descriptions and the informational passages about some of the places that they went; I feel like I took a mini-trip with them, and learned something too!

I enjoyed Christie; it was nice to go on her journey with her as she comes to terms with the skeletons in her closet and deci
Susan Laine
Nov 20, 2016 rated it liked it
2.5 stars. Personally I'm not a fan of present tense in fiction; it sort of worked here. The beginning drags a bit. The realistic depiction of ace and aro people is nice and always welcome. Strangers in a strange land bond over shared language and origins, and have a typical yet an atypical friendship. Occasionally this reads way too much like a travel brochure. This certainly is NOT a romance; this is about the birth of a friendship of like minds. I imagine the parallels between strangers getti ...more
Elisa Rolle
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
2016 Rainbow Awards Honorable Mention: We Go Forward by Alison Evans
An all right debut story. Great setting but I was not to into either of the mc's.
Floor
Dec 04, 2016
Elizabeth Crockford
rated it it was ok
Jul 20, 2017
Less Than Three P...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Giveaway - We Go Forward by Alison Evans - CLOSED 8 35 Mar 23, 2016 07:47AM
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Wrong author linked 8 20 Jan 12, 2016 05:29AM