Start by marking “Josie: A Story of Faith and Survival” as Want to Read:
Josie: A Story of Faith and Survival

Josie: A Story of Faith and Survival

On the heels of World War II, the communist leader of Yugoslavia attempted to wipe out the ethnic Germans (Donauschwaben) living within his borders, many of whom had been loyal Yugoslav citizens for generations.

History books have been silent on this tragic ethnic cleansing, but Josie shines a light on the atrocities Tito committed against these people and one family in

Published December 20th 2015 by Susan Lowe

To ask other readers questions about Josie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Josie

Start your review of Josie: A Story of Faith and Survival
S.L. Tsao
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ahar, paperhardbook
Reading this book, "Josie", I thought if I have ever learn a word, "death", from the World War I or II, then today I realised the new word, "life", from her book.

“Home is where your family is,” she said, a German Oma. This book showed me the light of human being from those good people, German, Serb and more in War. I like the book, “Josie.” And recommend it.

—S.L. Tsao, Author & Art Director, in Oct 2017.
Lucretia
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ahar
A beautiful, powerful telling of real suffering. This story so moved me. It’s told powerfully from the view of a young girl Josie, who faces more than most will in their entire lives. She is brave, resilient, and so very easy to connect with. I feel so honored to have read this account and thank the author for sharing.

I would suggest this be offered in classes as well. It gives a side of events that is seldom seen. The hardships didn’t end when the war did and this will be eye-opening for many
Sondra Hicks
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully Written

I usually don't read non fiction but this book caught my eye and was beautifully written about a amazingly brace girl and her family surviving so much just to a genocide. You learn a lot through this story. I find myself emotional at what this girl and her family went through. The cruelty of Tito makes me angry and cry at the same time. This is a story that should be a must read in history classes for sure whether high school or college. Every student should know this story.
Book Squirrel
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ahar
A personal and powerful story.

‘Josie’ is the true story of a young German girl who endured the family’s expulsion from their home in Glogon, now Glogonj in Serbia, after Workd War II, and the horrors of persecution and imprisonment.

Written from a child’s perspective, the story is told in a straightforward but very personal way, so that the reader develops a strong sense of empathy and connection with Josie, taking on her emotions and feeling the tension of key moments in the story quite
Thomas Davis
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ahar
A great and informative read.

This is a powerful story which depicts a part of history that I was unaware of. It’s upsetting how cruel people can be to those that they have power over. When cruelty is openly accepted as a means of dealing with those who considered “the other.”

But it’s not all about suffering. The book is mainly about faith and perseverance. About how when you have nothing left, faith can be the engine that pushes you forwards towards a better future. A future where you are
Amy Proebstel
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hope Through Despairing Times

Reading such personal accounts of the atrocities of WWII such as those found in Josie is something I wish we could say never happened, yet we must learn from the mistakes of the past to create a better future. The story does a good job of noting the horrors without giving too much detail, which makes this book entirely appropriate for teenaged readers. I appreciated the summary of the people’s lives at the end so we could follow them all the way through their lives,
J.L. Rallios
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written story. I found it very interesting and eye opening to learn about the aftermath of World War II from the point of view of Germans who were not pro-Nazi. My heart particularly ached reading about the atrocities that Josie and her family faced. Their story of faith and survival was truly inspiring and profound.
Christy Wilson
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ahar
My heart hurts. That's truly the best way I can describe this story. We've all heard stories from World War II, but living it through the eyes of a young girl whose world is turned upside down over and over again...ripped from her family, starving, living in horrid conditions...it's a life that none of us can imagine having to endure. Josie's faith is undeniably the thing that gave her strength and the will to survive - a faith she learned from her parents and grandparents.This is a story that ...more
Sherri Lewis
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The book is penetrating raw human emotions. A mother having her child taken away creates primal fear's. I found myself eager to turn the next page my feelings were filled with anticipation. The author is a great storyteller you can feel the love of family. So grateful to have this new perspective of history that I was denied . The bottom line is about humanity not governments.
Sherri Lewis
Lucienne Ouellette
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Josie

It is remarkable what the human body can endure but all this hurt could have been avoided if hate,greed and the love of power fueled these cruel inhuman practices. Sad very sad.
R.
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a gut wrenching short but great read!

Faith is often underestimated, but a strong will even more. However, Josie, will move you in ways that will bring you to tears.

A must read!!!
Gayle Davis
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There are books that touch your heart, books that once read and put away stay with you. Josie is that kind of book. Her story is just one of the many that were a result of WWII and the cruelties that happened during and after the war. The atrocities against and gassing of the Jewish people have long been documented, but stories like Josie's must be told as well. If not, the story of the horror that is war is incomplete. Reminiscent of The Diary of Anne Frank, Josie reveals other innocent victims ...more
Dr.
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ahar
I was so glad to finally finish reading this book. Not many times I have read other stories of the lives affected by the war. I have read many books relating to the Holocaust. Sometimes, we never know of situations that people or their ancestors are thrust into against their will and they are good people too.
This story of survival is worth reading.
Nikki Landis
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Some stories stay with you long after you finish and I'm sure Josie isn't one I'll be soon to forget.

I've read true accounts of the German people after WWII before and I'm always astounded, horrified, and angered by the ruthless and degrading actions one people can perpetrate against another. Such atrocity should never be allowed to happen, but more importantly, it should never be forgotten.

Josie is a small child when the events begin to unfold after the war. She's forced into impossible
Christina
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ahar
You know that weird place of you are glad about something, but sad at the same time?

That was me with this book. I was glad that the story was told, but I was and continue to be so sad at each one that must be shared. There are certain tragedies in history that I just wish never happened. That I feel should have never happened. The fact of the matter is, they did.

This book is a tear jerker for sure. This isn't the author just telling the story of her mother and countless others that endured a
Schultheis
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ahar
This story is as much about human resilience as it is about faith. It is disturbing to put myself in the same position and imagine caring for my family in a time of such atrocity. This evoked many emotions and portrayed the era effectively. I gained a deeper appreciation for the human perspective from that timeframe and admire the technical expertise of the storytelling. Excellent work.

I do have one complaint though, and it is a petty one.
I really, really wish the cover artist had chosen
Emma Price
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Josie A Story of Faith and Survival is a moving story that tugged at my heart. Lowe and Iverson planned this book just right. Starting with an extensive background information section, continuing with a powerful narrative that painted vivid pictures as this terrible saga unfolds and ending with an epilogue of the main characters. As I read how Tito imprisoned Josie and her family and took their homes, land, and all that they had worked so hard to accomplished, tears came to my eyes. Josie and ...more
Jon Latham
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A 101 page true story of faith and survival.

Marshal Tito and his resistance forces provided what some refer to as the greatest resistance movement against Hitler’s Nazi’s and the Axis forces, eventually clearing them from Yugoslavia. However, any of the Yugoslavian citizens that were of German decent payed the price. Despite having nothing to do with the war, men, women and children were rounded up and put into labor and death camps.

This is the story of one of those ethnic Germans. Josefa
Cathy Jolley
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Beautifully Written Story Of Faith And Survival

Josie is a beautifully written story of a brave little girl fighting for survival with her loving family. I prayed along with this family as they experienced things I can't even imagine. The fear and heartbreak to live through and to never lose their faith, knowing God would see them through this terrible time. I loved the relationship between Josie and her big brother, at times Josie was just an annoying little sister and other times they fought
Heidi Thomas
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a true, heart-wrenching, yet hopeful and uplifting story of the author's mother. A little girl's faith keeps her going after she's wrenched from her family and put in a Yugoslavian labor camp. She endures starvation, freezing cold, fleas and lice and of course fear and loneliness. This is a wonderful example of courage to endure and survive. A good history lesson too. I recommend this book to both young and old readers.
John Amerigo
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a delightful read by Susan Lowe. As an educator for over 40 years I would recommend this story for high school students, especially those who are not inclined to read. This story they will read because it will make them feel emotions filled with fear and uncertainty. The characters are genuine examples of family members many young adults can identify with. This story is also one that I can see made into a film. It's that good.
Five stars for Ms. Lowe.
Rose Baumeister
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Incredibly Moving Story

I have always enjoyed true stories and this story did not disappoint. It is amazing what people have endured and the faith that has sustained them during almost impossible ,unimaginable circumstances. This is a truly inspiring book and I would recommend it.
Robin
May 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Thought provoking, informative and touching

I chose this rating because of the intimate portrait of this family during WWII. The courage this family demonstrated during this very difficult time was inspiring. They never lost their faith in family or God.
Rick Lunkenheimer
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ahar
A story that needs to be heard

This book is a testament to those who suffered but have been ignored by history. This dramatic story shows that. My favorite line is, “We observe that when the underdog becomes the top dog, he behaves as every top dog does.” True to life.
Tracy  Taylor
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Everyone should read this book. So much faith, strength and courage.
It's very sad that these things have happened throughout history. I'm glad that sometimes there can be happy endings.
J.
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A heart felt story of a Josie and her challenged life and how she over came the obstacles and carried on to a over come the hard times.
Alison Mcrobbie
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ahar
A truly wonderful book. Beautifully written - easy to read and not too long. Full of emotive drama, history and real life stories, this book is a great read that pulls deeply at the heart strings.
Rebecca
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ahar
A thought kept running through my mind as I read this story: Two wrongs don't make a right. This story demonstrated so well how people often view the same type of situation differently depending on whether they are the giver or the receiver of the action. And they will reverse their beliefs when the situation reverses. Instead of believing it was wrong for you to do that to me, and it would be wrong for me to do it to you in return, they go for the an-eye-for-an-eye approach.

This story is sad,
Susan A Lowe
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Josie: A Story of Faith and Survival is my premiere book. After Hitler and His Nazis are forced out of their home town Josie and her brother believe their family is safe, but soon discovered the new dictator had ordered one of their grandfather murdered with most of the town’s men. Overnight they find themselves alone in a concentration camp miles from their mother. Who will protect them from the guards? How will they survive? Is escape possible? JOSIE is the true account of one family’s ...more
Jeff Ivey
Jan 06, 2020

• Irma's Endgame
  • On A Park Bench In March
  • Noble Beginnings (Jack Noble #1)
  • The Winemaker's Secret (Starlight Cove, #2)
  • A Deadly Distance (Jack Noble #2)
  • When Dead in Greece (Jack Noble #5)
  • Out of Chaos: A Memoir
  • End Game (Jack Noble #12)
  • Deadline (Jack Noble #11)
  • As The Crow Flies (Walt Longmire, #8)
  • The Guilty Path: Versatile Layer book 5
  • Say Goodbye for Now
  • Sentinels of Oz
  • Polar Vortex
  • Hell Is Empty (Walt Longmire, #7)
  • Tied to Deceit
  • A Rose By Any Other Name
  • Trading Sorrows (Elemental Witch Trials #16)
Susan Lowe was born in Fresno, CA. Lowe is the author of JOSIE: A Story of Faith and Survival, is a licensed marriage and family therapist with an MS in counseling from CSU-Fresno and over twenty-six years’ experience working with clients, many suffering from trauma. In addition to maintaining a private practice, she has also taught courses at CSU-Fresno, Reedley College, and Madera Community ...more