Start by marking “The King Slayer (The Witch Hunter, #2)” as Want to Read:
The King Slayer (The Witch Hunter, #2)

The King Slayer

(The Witch Hunter #2)

An action-packed and suspenseful sequel to The Witch Hunter, perfect for fans of Graceling and the Grisha Trilogy.

"I think, in time, you'll either be my greatest mistake or my greatest victory."

Former witch hunter Elizabeth Grey is hiding within the magically protected village of Harrow, evading the price put on her head by Lord Blackwell, the usurper king of An
Published June 14th 2016 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The King Slayer, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

I just can't believe it's over. I spent the whole year thinking about this book and how could possibly end and yeah, I cried. A lot.

This sequel was so much better than the first one and I just want to sleep a little, you know? My heart needs some rest.

It was sooo good!

{Review to come}
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
I thought this was a pretty solid sequel. Review to come.
Caitlin
May 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-stars, 2017-read
I think my expectations were pretty much met for this conclusion to this duology. Although, book 1 was definitely far better since I actually spent the majority of this book really bored. It's definitely not the best duology on the market at the moment but it was definitely still interesting.

Probably not even going to bother promising a full review because I really don't have much to say!
Olivia & Lori (The Candid Cover)
The King Slayer is such a different story than The Witch Hunter. This sequel seems to be even more thrilling than the first with its epic battle scenes and the introduction of new powers. What is really intriguing is Elizabeth’s character, as she really transforms after losing her stigma.

Due to spoilers for The Witch Hunter, my full review can be found on The Candid Cover
Lauren
Apr 13, 2016 marked it as lost-interest-mid-series  ·  review of another edition
I had a HUGE issue with how rape was handled or rather NOT handled at all in the previous book (see my thoughts on that HERE) and according to reviews the rapist becomes a sympathetic character in this book so NOPE. Honestly, I cannot believe this series was published as it stands. What message are you sending with this?! THERE ARE NO EXCUSES THAT MAKE RAPING SOMEONE OKAY. Books like this that try to brush off the seriousness of rape are the most dangerous poison of all.
mith
I don't know how to rate this.
But I loved it.
Nicola
Nov 22, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
2.5

I really enjoyed The Witch Hunter but I found this sequel a little disappointing.

Firstly, it probably would have helped if I reread The Witch Hunter first (which is obviously on me) but it would have been helpful to have little recaps of main plot lines in the beginning chapters. I felt a bit lost and wasn't entirely sure who everyone was. I definitely recommend rereading book one beforehand as it should be a really helpful refresher.

The biggest problem I had with this sequel is that I just w
Frannie Pan
Perhaps my rating for this book is slightly harsh but I reckon there's a good reason for that.
Let me explain.

The witch hunter was one of my favorite books of 2015. It actually made it to the top 5, which is truly saying a lot since I read many great last year that I was honestly in love with.
It had everything I could ever wish for a story with witches: magic, spells and herbs, adventure, right real-but-not-quite historical setting, not to mention a great cast of characters.

Maybe it's me. Maybe
☪❂ Kaiah❂☪
10/03/15
Title+cover=life
Grüffeline
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The sign reading UPMINSTER, 62 MILES has been crossed out ano now reads in untidy scrawl beneath it: Hell lies this way.

The sequel lives up to the first book in terms of writing, character development and lots of other aspects. However, it somehow didn't completely lve up to it, as I had a little problem with the ending. It felt rushed and I don't really like the way it ended for one character... But I'm still glad I picked up this duology because I love the world that Boecker created.
Stacee
Dec 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I struggled with this because I didn't do a reread and I couldn't remember a lot of the story from the first book.

There are a lot of things happening in this book. I have enjoyed this cast of characters and seeing how it all played out was interesting. I also thought it was a trilogy, so as there was all sorts of epic build up, I kept expecting the next turn of the page to be the cliffhanger ending.

There are some scenes where I was shocked into silence. Some serious swoons. And some ne
Danielle (Love at First Page)

This would have been closer to three stars except I take serious offense to how rape was handled in this duology. Shame on the author and publisher.
Brittany
What this series has done wonderfully is cut out all the mundane, drawn-out bits that can make me a pissed off reader. You know the plot devices that will push the story forward in the most annoying way? Well, The King Slayer is the second and last book, thus making this a duology. Which means there isn't the time for all the crap. Instead, the story and characters move forward quickly and I loved it. The world is not overly complex, There's magic in a historical type fantasy world. And after th ...more
Lala_Loopsie [fire breathing B!tch Queen]
(Not a review, just a fact).

This book wasn't even as remotely as interesting as the first book, as a matter of fact, i found it rather boring. As the end to a duology, it lacked an engaging storyline and end.

Note.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:. I read this only to satisfy my curiosity as to the end.
Jaime (Two Chicks on Books)
A great finish! Although I'm sad that it's over!
Bee (Heart Full of Books)
My full review on this duology can be found here!
Yvonne (bookishpanda)

I was lucky enough to win a signed ARC copy of Virginia Boecker's The King Slayer in a giveaway she hosted on Instagram and ... oh man, was I excited! I knew I had to read this book as soon as it comes out but with this early copy I was able to dive into Elizabeth's life sooner than expected, hurrah!

Since I haven't reread the first book, I was a little confused at the beginning - I only vaguely remember the things happening in The Witch Hunter and therefore had a hard time getting into it at fi
Hedi [ The Dutch Reader ]
The King Slayer is the second and last book in The Witch Hunter dualogy. Because it only has two books in the series it was fast-paced and sometimes a little bit rushed.

“I think, in time, you’ll either be my greatest mistake or my greatest victory.”

The story picks up a few months after the ending of 'The Witch Hunter' and we come to see how Elizabeth has to live without her stigma and how slowly its changing John. Elizabeth has grown alot thoughout the series and she is alot more defenseless
Lekeisha The Booknerd
Originally posted over at Lekeisha the Booknerd

The King Slayer is an action packed sequel to The Witch Hunter. It is better than book one, and a perfect end to this duology. It was good to get back with Elizabeth after what happened in the first book. Her life is different in Harrow, but the Kingdom is not forgotten. More importantly, the king and his minions haven’t forgotten. War is coming and witches & wizards cannot be left unchecked and alive, so they are hunted. Elizabeth escaped her s
Bhawisha Chand
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-reads
Kate (beautifulbookland)
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars
Would have enjoyed this more had I not stopped halfway through to read Fireblood lol no regrets
Jessica (a GREAT read)
I received this ARC while at BEA last month, I was in no way compensated for this review.

Virginia Boecker wraps up her Witch Hunter duology with The King Slayer and boy, does it go out with a punch! It was incredibly exciting with so much intensity that I had to savor the moments! Plus, I was also sad to know that it was all coming to an end already! I think that's the downside to duologies these days.

It's so hard to dive back into a book series that you read as an ARC last year, and before one
Deniz
Aug 14, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
1.5Stars

I am being nice and am rounding it up because this series biggest offense in my opinion: It's totally forgettable. It drowns in a sea of kinda okay same same YA fantasy. It's completely unremarkable.
In fact when I started reading King Slayer, I realised that I simply couldn't remember what happened in Witch Hunter. I mean I really couldn't recall ANYTHING. I went and found a spoilered recap- which gave me an idea... But I just couldn't seem to really remember. Now I know I read it a whi
Maye
Jul 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I'm happy that I reread the first book before going into this one since I forgot a lot of things that happened.

I liked the growth that the characters went through in this book especially John's and Elizabeth's. They're so not the simple healer and the deadly witch hunter from book one. I also liked that we were able to explore more about the revenants because I was able to understand them better. I think Ms. Boecke
BookCupid
Apr 26, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, fantasy
There are different kinds of strenght. The kind that wields swords and slays monsters but there's another kind too; one that comes in quiet but in the end is stronger and harder and more powerful. The kind that comes from within.

While trying to save her love, John, Liz transfers to him the one thing that makes her a powerful witch: her stigma. But now that Blackwell has claimed the throne of Anglia, the consequences of that action haunt her. Is she willing to sacrifice her own life to stop him?

I
Morris
“The King Slayer” is an excellent follow-up to “The Witch Hunter.”

For those who read the first of the duology, you will be happy to know that all of your favorite (and not-so-favorite) characters are back, most of them with much bigger parts in the story. I’m almost afraid to write anything in this review for fear of spoiling someone. I can say that it is as good as, if not better, than the first. The world is still one of the most well-built I have ever read.

There is something that some may fin
Jenn
May 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely, sexy, epic, fun, clever, sad. My only complaint is that it ended!
Dark Faerie Tales
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: A satisfying ending to a wonderful series. Filled with action, romance, and magic, it is definitely a must read for all high fantasy fans!

Opening Sentence: I sit on the edge of the bed waiting, the day I’ve feared for months finally here.

The Review:

Elizabeth was once the best Witch Hunter in the kingdom of Anglia, but she was convicted of witchcraft and sentenced to death. She was saved by the very people she used to hunt down and now she re
Stephanie (Bookfever)
My god, I absolutely loved The King Slayer. With a sequel you never quite know what you're getting. It can be either really great or turn out disappointing. This book definitely exceeded my expectations.

One thing showing that this book was just as good as its predecessor was how fast I read it. It took me less than two days. It was so hard to stop reading, so addictive!

In this book everything is different for Elizabeth Grey. She doesn't have her stigma anymore so she's more vulnerable than ever
Natalia
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reread
Reread 2018: 4.5⭐ I really enjoyed my reread of this book as I loved it and appreciated it more this time around. When I first read it I found the first half a bit slow and I didn’t like that John and Elizabeth weren’t spending as much time with each other as I expected, but this time around it I really appreciated it as it gave our protagonist time to hang out with her friends. I especially love her and Fifers friendship but that is probably because I love Fifer a lot <3

First time reading it
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Krait's Redemption (The Cat's Eye Chronicles, #5)
  • Waters of Salt and Sin (Uncommon World, #1)
  • Wolf's Bane (Demimonde, #3)
  • Iron Pendulum (Periodic, #2)
  • Asleep (Fairytale Collection #2)
  • Incite (Ignite, #2)
  • Darkness Rising (Legends of Marithia, #2)
  • Rook (Timeless Games, #1)
  • Diplomats and Fugitives (The Emperor's Edge, #9)
  • Forest of Whispers (Forest of Whispers, #1)
  • Shift (Realms, #1)
  • Black Moon (The Broken Trilogy, #3)
  • Firehearted
  • Bright Blaze of Magic (Black Blade, #3)
  • Chaos Rises (Chaos Rises, #1)
  • Resilient
  • Snakes & Ladders
  • Prisoner of Poseidon (Villain's Love #2)
Virginia Boecker is the author of The Witch Hunter series and An Assassin's Guide to Love and Treason. A graduate of the University of Texas, she had a decade-long career in technology before quitting to become a full-time writer. When she isn't writing, Virginia likes running, reading, traveling, and trying new things (most recently: learning to drive a boat). She has lived all over the world but ...more

The Witch Hunter (2 books)
  • The Witch Hunter (The Witch Hunter, #1)