Start by marking “A Picture Perfect Childhood” as Want to Read:
A Picture Perfect Childhood

A Picture Perfect Childhood

4.54  ·  Rating details ·  28 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
No matter how busy you are, no matter how short on time you are, no matter how dirty your house is, no matter how stressed you are...you have time to read, travel, study, talk, dance, paint, write, sing, and wonder each day with your child. All you have to do is stop time. That's right! Stop time...with your child and a picture book...for just 15-minutes a day. Cay Gibson ...more
Published January 11th 2008 by Cay Gibson (first published January 10th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about A Picture Perfect Childhood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Picture Perfect Childhood

Alice
Feb 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I was so pleased to discover what an unbeatable resource this is for parents or anyone who wants to add beauty and imagination to the life of a child. Although we are a family of booklovers and have read many picture books, "Picture Perfect Childhood" has opened the door for me to countless new works we will long enjoy and remember. So much more than a mere "booklist," Cay Gibson brings her recommendations to life through insightful and entertaining commentary and the real voice of a mother who ...more
Anja
Nov 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Cay Gibson has written another gem! Not only will this book inspire you to take the time to read to your children, but Cay shows you where to begin. She tells you why, and how. Her book lists include such brilliant themes as "Let's Get Cooking with Literature", "Read Across America" which suggests books about or that take place in each of the 50 states; and "The Children's Hour" which is a yearlong list, with books based on the holiday or historical event from each month. This book will help any ...more
Vivian
Feb 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, education
Reading-aloud enthusiasts, moms, teachers, and librarians will love Cay's journey of discovery as she gained a love and appreciation of what picture books could do for her and her family. She then discovered story hours at the library, appreciating how librarians modeled better ways to read aloud.

She shares other people's journeys as well, infusing all with quotes and anecdotes. She has become a hub for getting the word out about what can be done with just 15 minutes of reading aloud every day.

S
Carmen yuen
Mar 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to explore reading with children
Recommended to Carmen by: found it by chance in the National Library
I was captivated by Cay's nuggets right from the start. I read and re-read the poem "A Book" by Edgar Guest, one of the first literary works she reproduced, and had my kids read the poem too!

Loads of suggestions on the ocean of kids stories to read, and lots of quotes that are profound, but meaningful.

Lara
Mar 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The booklists provided in this book are wonderful. I like how the author has provided suggestions for using picture books as educational tools. There are seasonal lists, historical lists, and books that will take you around the world.
Laina
Mar 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is a fabulous guide to thoughtful and beautiful picture books for all seasons and all occasions! Absolutely indispensable!
Abby
Dec 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
A great resource.
Elaine
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am so bummed I didn't read this book sooner. It's wonderful! There's only a short part at the beginning that builds the case for why reading picture books (even to teenagers) is important. Cay does a great job of this and really motivates you to read at least 15 minutes a day to your kids. Then the magic begins. She gives so many great lists of picture books. She has lists for every month of the year, lists for teenagers, lists for countries and states, lists for cooking, and much more. I have ...more
Shannon
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books
12/10 Yahoo! Our little local library finally found this one for me, in another state no less. I enjoyed this one so much, I bought two copies: one for me and another for our local library. They are so good to us. This book contains lists of many books to read.

Some of the booklists you'll find:
List for Teenaged Readers and Reluctant Readers
Children's Hour (A Twelve Month Historical Timeline along with supplementary reading in subjects like science, art, music and language arts)
Teaching Virtues
Spinneretta
Sep 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is a book well worth it for any homeschooler to get. It is really a series of booklists and tips for using picture books. The lists are arranged by different subjects, and are quite extensive. I guarantee you'll have your library card full of holds from it :)
Gabriele
Aug 09, 2011 marked it as to-read
gonna have to find this one at the library or maybe Amazon - Thanks Laina!!!
Natalie